Don Johnson Set to Exec Produce and Star in ABC’s ‘Boom’ Pilot

sredd

• Administrators

What did everybody think of the premiere?

I thought it seemed a bit like a girls drama for the first half, it wasn't really interesting me, then the action came and I was thinking "Oh yeah... Maybe I can get into this." :)

It was fairly soap-opera-ish in the first half, as you say.  I think some of this was for the purpose of introducing and establishing the characters (and also I think the show is trying to attract a wide range of viewers, male and female), but the pacing picked up and at the end I wanted it to keep going!  I will definitely watch again next week.

I thought it moved pretty quickly, considering they needed to establish characters and all that.  I think Don did a decent job portraying an oil tycoon, I look forward to watching the rest of it as it airs...   

• Administrators

It was fairly soap-opera-ish in the first half, as you say.  I think some of this was for the purpose of introducing and establishing the characters (and also I think the show is trying to attract a wide range of viewers, male and female), but the pacing picked up and at the end I wanted it to keep going!  I will definitely watch again next week.

Soap-opera - That's the word I was looking for! :) 

Yeah, once they got the introductions out of the way, it got good. I'm also going to continue watching it.

It's more Dallas than Miami Vice. There's even a good brother- bad brother thing going on.  I liked it . The rating's were not stellar., but then these days nothing gets rating's like the old days. The show after it, Quantico did a little better, but i didn't watch it.

• Administrators

It's more Dallas than Miami Vice. There's even a good brother- bad brother thing going on.  I liked it . The rating's were not stellar., but then these days nothing gets rating's like the old days. The show after it, Quantico did a little better, but i didn't watch it.

I don't even know what "good ratings" are anymore. Shows that get 2 million viewers get cancelled these days because their "ratings are too low". 

It's definitely nothing like Miami Vice, but the first ep got me interested in the characters and started to build a storyline.  I hope the show has the writing and is given the time to hold an audience.  I thought all of the actors did a good job and DJ received good notices from the critics--even the ones who weren't enthusiastic about the show.  

• Like 1

I have to disagree, I have seen a few trailers for this series and it just reveals more of whats wrong with some of these shows today.  No authenticity.  I was born and raised in North Dakota and I visit western ND every year.  I can tell you first hand this show bears no resemblance to my home state, none what so ever.  At least Miami Vice was authentic in its surroundings.  This show has it looking like these people are living in MAD MAX's world.  Its beyond fake.... But hey I guess we'll see.  Ive always like DJ on screen (not so much his true self) so Itll be fun to critique the madness!

Hmm didnt even know this was happening honestly, all I can say is from looking at that image of blood and oil on here one thing came to mind: Dallas.

also Penny I share your pain on that one, RIcoli And Isles, the show that features Bruce Mcgill from Out Where the Busses dont run that takes place in boston is not shot in boston, not at all, it looks and seems like Vancoover or toronto

as its far too clean looking, and theres not enough bad pronounciation of words,

amongst other things, such as the lack of shame would come to mind when it comes to our newscasters

such as showing the blood on the sidewalk from a murder in a grisley long close up on a day of celebration  in new york, and the living parody of a newscaster known as Keller, from Keller at large.

or as I call him, Ratface.

all I can say is its as about as sanitary as a trip to a lab with its clendlyness vs the real deal, which is basically a light version of the 1970's Film Mean Streets.

gotta love that too, all talk and no walk with these shows. yet anything goes on the news here.

Edited by Kavinsky

2 million viewers for a show...a network show , is really low. It's nothing like the 80s where 20-30 million was the norm. Now they pay actors a lot more with fewer people watching. although they don't spend as much on the overall productions usually.

I have to disagree, I have seen a few trailers for this series and it just reveals more of whats wrong with some of these shows today.  No authenticity.  I was born and raised in North Dakota and I visit western ND every year.  I can tell you first hand this show bears no resemblance to my home state, none what so ever.  At least Miami Vice was authentic in its surroundings.  This show has it looking like these people are living in MAD MAX's world.  Its beyond fake.... But hey I guess we'll see.  Ive always like DJ on screen (not so much his true self) so Itll be fun to critique the madness!

You mentioned how you've always like DJ but not so much his true self, what do you mean?

True that it's not shot in ND.  They've been very frank that it's shot in Park City, Utah.  Unsure why that location was chosen but it seems that Park City may have had the infrastructure/ resources for the cast and crew, as well as probably recruiting the business, more so than North Dakota.  As you know, states do compete for TV/ movie location shooting.  It's too bad the location isn't more authentic, though. 

2 million viewers for a show...a network show , is really low. It's nothing like the 80s where 20-30 million was the norm. Now they pay actors a lot more with fewer people watching. although they don't spend as much on the overall productions usually.

well even then I think with 7 million viewers most programs got canceled back then, the real test will be if someone at the network likes the show.

as a good amount of David E Kelly shows have been successful, yet they get canned because someone at the network didnt like it.

• Like 1

I enjoyed last night's episode much more than the pilot.  Now that we know the characters a bit more, (and a couple of new ones), all the twists and turns are starting to take form.  It seems Hap has had a prior relationship with Wick's new "girlfriend" which makes me wonder what happened with that.  Also, I'm not sure if Hap really believes his son is innocent of the oil robbery/fire after all.  I definitely get the feeling that Hap is much more devious than we've seen so far and he's going to show us just how unpleasant he can be. I was happy to see much more of DJ's character in this episode and I'm getting used to him playing this new part.  

I'm much more drawn to this show now and will be parking myself in front of my tv on Sunday night's at 9:00, hopefully for many Sundays to come.  

And btw girls....did you see how good he looked in that dark blue suit with the black shirt going to dinner with Billy?   :clap:  :happy:

• Like 1

I forgot to mention.....I hope the ratings were much better last night!  I don't want this to end!  Unless he's going to do a Miami Vice project.... :)

• Like 1

I enjoyed last night's episode much more than the pilot.  Now that we know the characters a bit more, (and a couple of new ones), all the twists and turns are starting to take form.  It seems Hap has had a prior relationship with Wick's new "girlfriend" which makes me wonder what happened with that.  Also, I'm not sure if Hap really believes his son is innocent of the oil robbery/fire after all.  I definitely get the feeling that Hap is much more devious than we've seen so far and he's going to show us just how unpleasant he can be. I was happy to see much more of DJ's character in this episode and I'm getting used to him playing this new part.  

I'm much more drawn to this show now and will be parking myself in front of my tv on Sunday night's at 9:00, hopefully for many Sundays to come.  

And btw girls....did you see how good he looked in that dark blue suit with the black shirt going to dinner with Billy?   :clap:  :happy:

I did not see last night's episode, but I recorded it to watch (hopefully) tonight! 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the second episode and look forward to more.  Hap and the rest of the cast seem on track (so far) to put a little bit of a twist into the soapy formula.  The characters interest me and I hope the storyline keeps its promise :)

I forgot to mention.....I hope the ratings were much better last night!  I don't want this to end!  Unless he's going to do a Miami Vice project.... :)

I completely agree! Blood & Oil is getting better & I hope the ratings is too! UNLESS! Don will ever be granted to do Miami Vice, I can settle with Blood & Oil; even though I'll admit I do miss seeing PMT after all these years though!

There was a ton of action going on in last night's episode.  Hap is really starting to show his dark side and it gets more interesting for me each week.  I hope others feel the same and keep this show on the air!  I haven't seen the latest poll numbers.....fingers crossed!   :thumbsup:

Here is Hap's former and current lover:  mv5bmtk2mtuwmjqyov5bml5banbnxkftztgwnjm1

I agree!  For me it's better than most serialized dramas and Hap and the other characters keep revealing new facets to themselves.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the latest poll numbers.....fingers crossed!   :thumbsup:

Susanna Girl - I fear you will have to cross them to blue.

The current ratings are awful please check it out.

BLOOD & OIL rating - Monday 10/12 - 4 hours after aring:

23395341qq.jpg

The only way will be that the networks discover what sweet little gem is napping here with ABC.

It was 'dumb' to take an airing time at 9 PM on Sunday!

To count just the 18-49 viewers is the next knife in the back with B&O.

Additional it is not very wise to show the top scenes in uncountable advert trailers again and again.

With viewing episode 1 felt like I am watching the show for the third time already.

So, if even I feel that way - how shall feel a group in the age 18-49 without any deeper connection?

One thing - the show is great (not only Don).

FINGERS CROSSED ! ME TOO !  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I feared as much bluepearl, and all I can say is I hope ABC lets it stay on the entire year and not yank it right away.  Sometimes it takes a good while to build up an audience as I'm sure some people haven't even seen it yet.  Some may tune in by accident and decide they like what they see, who knows?  I really think this show has potential and would hate to see it shelved before it even has a chance to shine.  

Thank you for the poll updates bp.  I can always hope it trends upward each week!  

fingerscrossed_80.png

• Like 1