Don Johnson Set to Exec Produce and Star in ABC’s ‘Boom’ Pilot

sredd

I feared as much bluepearl, and all I can say is I hope ABC lets it stay on the entire year and not yank it right away.  Sometimes it takes a good while to build up an audience as I'm sure some people haven't even seen it yet.  Some may tune in by accident and decide they like what they see, who knows?  I really think this show has potential and would hate to see it shelved before it even has a chance to shine.  

Thank you for the poll updates bp.  I can always hope it trends upward each week!  

fingerscrossed_80.png

I don't know SG, as much as I want to see this make it through at least one season, the suits at ABC will likely get impatient soon if things don't improve.  I think it would do better on a different night as well... 

• Like 1

I read that the ratings for Sunday's episode were stable, which the article interpreted as a positive sign.  Keeping fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I started a Blood & Oil Topic because I didn't recognize this one from March. I'll post my comments here.

I like DJ's acting, although I don't like Hap's personality. He was cool in Oct. 18 episode, when he pulled the gun on the guy that hijacked his truck & said, " if I find out you're lying you won't see me coming." Reminded me of Sonny Crockett.

As for the series, there are too many sub-plots for me and too many sex scenes. If D.J wasn't in it, I wouldn't watch it at all.

• Like 2

I know what you mean, Tony.  I have been enjoying the show's twists and turns but Hap is way too crafty and sharp for me!  And I'm sad that he could purposely sleep with a woman he knows is dating his son (even if she did used to be his girlfriend), plus he is now married to someone else.  If DJ wasn't in it I wouldn't have watched in the first place but I will stick with it now.  

• Like 1

I started a Blood & Oil Topic because I didn't recognize this one from March. I'll post my comments here.

I like DJ's acting, although I don't like Hap's personality. He was cool in Oct. 18 episode, when he pulled the gun on the guy that hijacked his truck & said, " if I find out you're lying you won't see me coming." Reminded me of Sonny Crockett.

As for the series, there are too many sub-plots for me and too many sex scenes. If D.J wasn't in it, I wouldn't watch it at all.

Good point Tony 

I know what you mean, Tony.  I have been enjoying the show's twists and turns but Hap is way too crafty and sharp for me!  And I'm sad that he could purposely sleep with a woman he knows is dating his son (even if she did used to be his girlfriend), plus he is now married to someone else.  If DJ wasn't in it I wouldn't have watched in the first place but I will stick with it now.  

I'll stick with it, also ...as long as it doesn't get too complicated & confusing.

Miami Vice was perfect.......each episode had a plot that was complete, that day. There was a development of characters over time but you could leave an episode and feel it was finished. You didn't have to worry, you might miss the outcome if you couldn't watch the next week.

What's pretty obvious in Blood & Oil that Don uses for first time after MV again his... 'Sonny Crockett Tools'.

He especially shows smirks, moves, frowns. similar how made the body with Sonny Crockett.
Believe me I watched all his series and movies as often I never found Sonny in the past ones like now in B&O.

Johnson is the anchor on this series.
I am sure it would have been cancelled since Episode 3 already without him.
This Chase Crawford is THE flop of the century. The focus was on him too - he lost already much attention with the audience.

What definitely hit me is this picture with Hap, mistress and wife during set to Episode which will become shown on upcoming Sunday.

Sure, light and camera with this shot have loved him in that moment. ;)  :D 
The picture is not photoshopped.

To me it could be a picture taken by Sonny 3 years after throwing his badge in the dust.
But... there are gone 26 years up to now.

23477384mc.jpg

I do not only show this picture because of his look, pay attention to his face expression...

again he is working with the Sonny tool. :thumbsup:

Finally Don got...
He is to 'sell' much better with this.

Edited by bluepearl
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And wait til Wick finds out what Jules and Hap have been doing!!!

I really do hope ratings improve/ the network decides to order more episodes/ ABC moves the show to a day and time it has weaker competition/ it's picked up by another network/ we are able to see the resolution of the many situations in which the characters are tangled up before it goes off the air.

• Like 2

Interesting link about the change in viewers behaviors and what's still more important that the networks starts to accept the streaming and DVR ratings finally.
And with that a simple wish by heart of mine that there is a chance B & O will go into Season 2.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-no-canceled-tv-shows-20151105-story.html

Fox's "Minority Report" has fizzled in the ratings. So has ABC's nighttime soap "Blood & Oil," as well as NBC's crime drama "The Player" and its sitcom "Truth Be Told."

Not so long ago, all of these shows would likely have been canceled. But all four are still on the schedule, as is every other network show that debuted this fall.

This year, the TV season has stretched into November without a single new title consigned to the rubbish heap — something that industry watchers say hasn't happened since the early 1950s.

In this modern era, it is very unlikely for one program to get an order of 26 episodes. Orders are usually five to 10 to a dozen episodes.- Joe Saltzman, professor at USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism

The absence of cancellations is another sign of the tectonic shifts underway in the television industry. Thanks to digital recording and streaming, millions of viewers no longer watch shows when they are first telecast — making network executives reluctant to kill a program that may be quietly building an audience that's not being counted by traditional ratings.

Studio executives are "being really careful how they're talking about shows that aren't performing that well in the fall because they don't want to cut their nose off to spite their face," said Tom Nunan, a TV and film producer and former executive who now teaches at UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television.

"They may actually have a real gem that was just on the wrong network, scheduled on the wrong day and wasn't marketed properly that might actually have a life somewhere else if they're thoughtful about it," he said.

Another factor: Streaming services such as Netflix and Yahoo have shown willingness to grab programming castoffs in a bid to raise their own profile, making network executives doubly reluctant to hand over what could be a hit to one of their competitors.

After NBC in 2014 canceled its quirky comedy "Community," for example, Yahoo lavished millions of dollars to relaunch the series this year with original episodes. (The show did not produce a happy ending for Yahoo, however, as executives last month partly blamed "Community" for a $42-million writedown.) Hulu picked up Fox's canceled sitcom "The Mindy Project" earlier this year.

So instead of networks canceling shows outright, a new strategy has emerged — cutting the number of episodes, which happened with "Minority Report," "The Player," "Blood & Oil" and "Truth Be Told."

By cutting the number of episodes produced instead of simply hitting the cancel button, network bosses can hedge their risk on a series that looks dicey, while keeping it out of the hands of competitors for as long as possible.

"The order reductions we are seeing are largely financial decisions, [with networks] trying to get some air time filled with the originally programmed shows but without long-term commitments," said Jeffrey McCall, a media studies professor at DePauw University in Indiana.

Developing a television series is an expensive proposition, and network executives now have added incentives to take their time before flushing away their investment.

"Some of the basic cable channels might reduce their own development slates and just wait for shows to fall out from big networks and just take their second pickings," Nunan said. "Why not let them take all the risk with regards to development?"

A peek at the ratings data shows just how treacherous it has become to analyze a prime time show's performance.

ABC's new FBI drama "Quantico" has drawn an impressive average audience of 11.1 million, with 43% of those viewers watching the show up to seven days after the original telecast, according to Nielsen (advertisers pay only for viewers who watch within the first three days). If one examined only the overnight ratings after each episode premiered, "Quantico" might look like a dud.

Of course, delayed ratings can help only so much. "Blood & Oil," which saw its episode order cut to 10 from 13, draws nearly one-third of its audience from viewing after premiere night. Still, with a total audience of fewer than 7 million, the show starring former "Miami Vice" star Don Johnson is a long way from a hit, at least by the standards of an expensive prime time drama.

The rite of fall cancellations is nearly as old as commercial TV itself. It's tied to the September to May regular season that dates back to the late 1940s and was copied from radio broadcasting. For decades, programmers have ordered 13 episodes for the fall launch. If the series performed well, the producers would get a "back 9" — the order for additional episodes that would round out the full season.

Now, that entire system is crumbling.If the series was tanking, the networks would usually pull the show by the November "sweeps" period used to set local ad rates. That would also give the writers and cast time to line up new work in January. Remaining episodes were burned off during slow holiday or summer periods.

Year-round premieres on cable and streaming networks are forcing broadcasters to adapt to a similar schedule. ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox are likewise mimicking the cable networks by ordering full seasons that consist only of between nine and 13 episodes — an approach long favored by British and other overseas broadcasters.

"The consumer no longer goes to the three networks to see what's on the air. They use their DVR and streaming to see whatever they want whenever they want to," said Joe Saltzman, professor at USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

"In this modern era, it is very unlikely for one program to get an order of 26 episodes," Saltzman said. "Orders are usually five to 10 to a dozen episodes. And if the show hits, such as 'Empire,' the studio or network can order up a new batch of episodes, promote them and put them on whenever they want to."

Fox's sci-fi thriller "Lookinglass" saw its order cut even though the show isn't due to premiere until January. The network declined to comment, but insiders say executives closely examined the schedule for the second half of the season and realized they didn't need the extra episodes.

The industry is in a flux that makes predictions difficult, but many experts say it's possible that in the future almost no producer will get a "your show is canceled" call. Instead, they will get an order for a few episodes — and if those don't perform, the phone just won't ring again.

The traditional fall launch "makes no sense whatsoever," Nunan said, pointing to the high costs and inefficiencies of dumping dozens of new shows into a crowded marketplace all at once.

"I'm not sure that just because a show fails on the fall on the broadcast that that equals failure," he said.

and it will take only up to episode on next Sunday that Wick will get ... what Jules and Hap are having together ;)

• Like 1

Interesting article!  Thanks for the link and it does give me hope!

Poor Wick--although he has brought this on himself.  But Jules is unwittingly playing a dangerous game as well, I think...

• Like 1

Yes...last night was filled with drama goodies.  Now that Wick knows that Jules has been playing with daddy, I wonder how he will handle it.  And now there's the new twist of Hap's ex teaming up with Billy.   :fireworks:

DJ looked exceptionally hot last night, I must say.   :cool:

As of this writing, there are only 3 more episodes left, hopefully that will change...

Hope... won't be enough.

The very smallest help we viewers can offer is to vote Blood&Oil for People's Choice Award.

ABC will have to make many explanations if they dare even to CANCEL a voted show.

To sell is one thing  - to cancel the other.

#savebloodandoil

http://vote.peopleschoice.com/?app_data=catId%28106%29callback%28fb_thankyou%29referral%28fb%29#!/home/all/106

With refreshing the link one is allowed to vote as often as time is with us.

GO AND VOTE BnO for PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD - do not stop voting, please.  

• Like 1

^ I wondered why it wasn't on last Sunday.  

I'm still voting every chance I get!  Now that I'm getting my DJ fix each week, I don't want it to end.  No, it's not MV but it's better than nothing.   :D

http://vote.peopleschoice.com/?app_data=catId%28106%29callback%28fb_thankyou%29referral%28fb%29#!/home/all/106

You do so well with going on voting.

Johnson posted today wonderful picture with the add:

"ebity ebity ebity ...that's all folks" last day of production....for now #bloodandoil #keepwatchin

23738021bu.jpg

What caught me at the most was definitely the.....    FOR NOW !

So my hope got the vitamines it needs :D :D

• Like 2