Scarface remake set in L.A. has been greenlit by Universal Studio's...

Detective_Crockett

http://news.sky.com/story/1448212/scarface-remake-set-in-la-gets-green-light

Why are they doing this? nothing can beat the Scarface from 1983, (I know there was a 1932 Scarface, which is also equally good.)

But why are Hollywood running out of idea's so much that they feel the need to reboot classic movies from the 80's? first Total Recall, Predators, Robocop and now Scarface...a classic and favourite amongst many.

I don't support this idea, I think a classic should be left where it is (like Vice) modern day remakes never go well, they shouldn't do this at all, who knows it might be good? it might not be, here's hoping it's not a PG-13? (12 here in the UK)  :evil:  either which way, a ridiculous idea, I have heard that this story might be about Mexican Cartels, but I'm not too sure, they seem to base a Scarface on current world events.

(1932, Chicago gangsters)

(1983, Cuban immigrants to Miami)

(2015 - Drug cartels) 

What does everybody else think? 

• Like 1

Yeh I have no idea what they're thinking on this one. I don't even acknowledge these blatant cash grabs exist at this point.

I completely forgot that Scarface '83 was a remake but atleast that one was a "re-imagining" of sorts, This new one is probably going to be a literal remake with tony montana but now it'll have hip hop instead of Deborah harry music. =(

• Like 1

I'm completely agree with you, Detective_Crockett. A classic should be left where it is.

I'm fed up with all these remakes and reboots :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

@the Departed94

Did you know that when Scarface became a hit amongst the hip hop and ''gangsta'' community they nearly re-scored the movie with hip hop movie, but they totally decided against that idea, which I'm glad about...don't ever..get rid of 80's classics for hip hop, these rappers and wannabe gangstas totally missed the point of Scarface...they all think they're like Tony about rising to the top and stuff, when really Tony wasn't a very nice bloke, I mean deep inside he had good morals, protect his Sister and make a living...and he didn't want to kill those kids and that woman...he had some good in him, but everything he just touched got destroyed, his empire came crumbling down around him quite literally, he broke the rules...don't get high on your own supply (clearly he did) and don't underestimate the other guys greed (Sosa)  Lopez was right, the guys with all the money, women, flashy cars and all the riches, they don't last, it's just stupid how an entire group of people (who clearly don't have much sense anyway) think the way Tony was, is a way for them to be...and about the remake, yeah you're right.... and you too Yann, it's probably just going to be some silly cash grab like all the things Hollywood make now.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I hope to God that this does not happen. The movie will be a flop.

They only wants to remake it because it's popular now, so they know they can make a good profit.

The story won't be as good as the first two, the music will suck... What's the point?

The 1983 movie is perfection... You don't remake perfection. You wouldn't remake The Godfather, don't remake Scarface. It's an insane idea.

It seems like every third movie now is a remake of something. Can't anybody come up with their own ideas anymore? Or at least remake some 30s/40 movies because most people won't watch them, so they won't even know that remake is a remake.

They can make the movie, just don't call it Scarface. Don't call the main character Tony Montanna. Because it absolutely does not need to be remade again.

I've also seen on Facebook that none of the fans want this to happen. So hopefully when they see that nobody wants it, they'll stop.

• Like 1

I've also seen on Facebook that none of the fans want this to happen. So hopefully when they see that nobody wants it, they'll stop.

I was doing some reading earlier, and it seems the only person supporting it is Al Pacino himself, but I doubt he truly means that deep inside, eh?

• Administrators

I was doing some reading earlier, and it seems the only person supporting it is Al Pacino himself, but I doubt he truly means that deep inside, eh?

I think you mean Al Pacino's PR people... But of course they'd support it. 

this sucks!I home this will not happen.Scarface is a movie you could not do anything better about it that there was made 1983.as all the members here mentioned CLASSIC SHOULD BE LEFT TO BE CLASSIC!

Hands off the classics. Leave 'em be. You just can't re-make an iconic movie like "Scarface".

Same thing goes for the 2006 "Miami Vice" movie.

• Like 1

This is a terrible idea. I would rather this didn't happen. It's completely pointless and stupid and it's indicative of the woeful current state of Hollywood and the movie industry. I think that no good movies get made anymore and there's just one rehash of a past great movie after another. I think there are very little to no good movies made in the 21st century.

Scarface is a fantastic film and a classic. It's my fave film ever and it just doesn't need to be rehashed,Setting it in LA is bad idea too. It would probably be about South Central gangstas. Horrible idea.

This is just unnecessary and it isn't something I can approve of. Just let Scarface be and don't bother with this. That's what I think about it. It's a sh!t idea and should be cancelled

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

I think that if Hollywood run out of ideas on creating movies then better they stick to the creating movies based from video games,there was a times they wore in love doing that.but trying to get cash from people just using a classic movies title and do not care the people like or not is heartless!all the film creators thinks is money money money and after the movie gets out people disappoint in it,regret to throw their money this way,criticize the producers,actors,movie studios for doing a boring movie.the film makes act like they do not care because they got the money.in my opinion it would be better to spend a lot of money and making its own way movie(not a copied story line from a classic movie) work hard to make that money return in double and feel good about it that you made a movie which people like.but not like I would imagine a movie producer's thoughts 
"-what movie to release next?just grab any classic movie from the shelf,write the whole scenario,add some different locations and there you go a real good brand new movie!" 

I'm very negative about touching the Scarface movie.it is a historic part of film classics era,the time when people knew how to make movies.

Hollywood HAS run out of ideas.. and while I'm at it, so has TV.  :p

When you rely on remakes and video games as a platform for a "new" movie, your in trouble. :(

Hollywood has lost it's creativity in my opinion. :baby:

• Like 2

• Administrators

Spot on. Bockbuster movies = remakes, novels, and superheroes.

I guess every idea has been used... We've come to a point where there's so much out there, that there isn't anything left. 

• Like 2

That's rediculous.  They would have to change the entire story line to set it in someplace besidses Miami.  There is no originallity in Hollywood these days which is party the reason why I'm not a movie fan.   :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

http://www.thewrap.com/scarface-remake-director-pablo-larrain-says-yes-universal/

This is from last year (this re-remake has been in the works for ages) but it does highlight a little bit with what they want to do, mainly a story set around Mexican immigrants and the new film is "more of a mythic origins story that explores where Tony's physical and emotional wounds come from and how they shaped him as a man".

I remember initially they were aiming for a sequel following a son although I'm guessing the person who thought that was a good idea finally watched the film for the first time and realize that actually wouldn't have work given Tony's rocky relationship with Elvira. But this new one, probably a disaster waiting to happen given I don't see a modern screenwriter putting together something as controversial and long-lasting as the first two and especially when you had auteurs Howard Hawks and Brian DePalma behind the cameras for said films. In a way the above quote kind of hints at franchise making which Hollywood has been keen on this decade.

Say Hello to My Little Friend

Scarface Bluray Ending HD 720p with new sound effects :D:thumbsup::cool:

My Blu Ray copy has this, I absolutely love the new sound effects, the original sound effects are still great but the new one's are just perfect, imagine if Vice was re-imagined like this  :)

• Like 1

All I can see in my mind is John Steed from the avengers, the 1960's spy show show, going No.. No.. No! right now, as this sounds just as bad as them making a remake of A Better Tommorow, an old John Woo film I have on DVD, in china I should state, not in the US and then redoing the plot so its about gun smuggling rather than drug dealing or general triad crime.

I mean there is no point in remaking something that is already good, bad fine, they made 2 or 3 versions of the Maltess Falcon within 10 years of the Bogart one being made, but once you get it good, dont remake it.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

The Blu-ray for Scarface is fantastic. First time I put it in and checked out the final shoot-out even though I had my volume down around fifteen it still almost knocked me off the bed. I think the new sound effects were initially done for the 2003 theatrical anniversary release but for some reason Universal didn't include the new mix on the Anniversary DVD. Glad they got around to it though and included the original mix as well on the Blu-ray.

As for the remake of A Better Tomorrow .... yeah, not going to touch that remake. Just seemed kind of a pointless thing to do, plus the film had a great sequel as well with an ending that ranks up there with Scarface in terms of movie shoot-outs. (Although surpasses it in terms of body count, I think the only film that could tie with A Better Tomorrow II in that area would be The Wild Bunch).

As a side-note to tie it back into Scarface, I do recommend A Better Tomorrow and it's sequel to fans of Scarface, both are also awesome action filled '80's gangster films. Hard to find them though as they've been out of print in the U.S. for some time now.

well that's what ebays for lol although the weirdest part was I found the Killer 1988 at the local mall dvd store years ago, NIB and everything.

and I'm talking like 2007/2008, so it cant hurt to look around, as sometimes the weirdest things show up