My only question for the whole series.

Detective_Crockett

How on earth do they manage to wear suits in Miami Vice? the temperature must have been absolutely boiling hot to wear a suit or some of the clothes Sonny wears, or Castillo or the DEA, a lot of people who wore suits, and Tubbs! I mean, sometimes they look like they're absolutely sweating, especially Tubbs in Milk Run, was Miami actually like that back then? they had to wear suits although the temperature was boiling? I remember seeing an image of Crockett wearing a trench-coat that he never wore in the series, how boiling do you think he would of been if he actually wore that?  :)  how did they manage it? I mean here in the UK when it's 90 degree's in the summer and people wear suits, I think they must be absolutely boiling inside, I can only badly imagine how it was in Miami.

No undershirts maybe? as Crockett just threw on T shirts and suit coats to cover up his sidearms most of the time, I dont know if PMT and Castilo would follow suit though, but I would wadger if they didn't they never strayed far from the air conditioners in the caddie and the OCD or the air con in the testarossa.

Edited by Kavinsky

I think it's all part of the effort of dressing well. Nothing great comes easily. However, well-made clothing is almost always made of breathable fabrics, unless they are specifically made for cold weather. I don't have any expensive suits, but there are a few affordable designers that make great suits for summer.

They had several sets of the clothes, so when someone started sweating through the shirt or jacket, they just put a new one on for the shot. Also, if it were really hot and humid, they rehearsed without the jackets. In the OCB, they kept the temp fairly low, so it was fairly cold in there, so they could wear the clothes with the jackets. Yes, even with linen and cotton, it was extremely hot. They just had to do it, that's all. It is one of the actors number one complaints. The heat!  

• Like 4

• Administrators

How on earth do they manage to wear suits in Miami Vice? the temperature must have been absolutely boiling hot to wear a suit or some of the clothes Sonny wears, or Castillo or the DEA, a lot of people who wore suits, and Tubbs! I mean, sometimes they look like they're absolutely sweating, especially Tubbs in Milk Run, was Miami actually like that back then? they had to wear suits although the temperature was boiling? I remember seeing an image of Crockett wearing a trench-coat that he never wore in the series, how boiling do you think he would of been if he actually wore that?  :)  how did they manage it? I mean here in the UK when it's 90 degree's in the summer and people wear suits, I think they must be absolutely boiling inside, I can only badly imagine how it was in Miami.

Sometimes you just have to dress respectable, no matter the temperature. Even people with office jobs, and real life detectives, they have to wear suit pants, shoes, and a shirt in summer. They have a dress code, if they ignore it too many times they risk loosing their job.

I could imagine what it's like in summer, and in Miami. It must be like hell wearing a suit.

But the heat is also the reason why the Crockett look exists, took the socks off, wearing an open henley t-shirt, sleeves rolled up sometimes.  In season 1, PMT is wearing his shirts unbuttoned halfway, a fashion thing to show off gold medallions and chest hairs, but also used to deal with the heat.

• Like 3

Makes sense to me now, thank you for clearing that up guys  :thumbsup:

Also, Coop...in your signature picture, what episode is that from?  :)

Sometimes you just have to dress respectable, no matter the temperature. Even people with office jobs, and real life detectives, they have to wear suit pants, shoes, and a shirt in summer. They have a dress code, if they ignore it too many times they risk loosing their job.

I could imagine what it's like in summer, and in Miami. It must be like hell wearing a suit.

But the heat is also the reason why the Crockett look exists, took the socks off, wearing an open henley t-shirt, sleeves rolled up sometimes.  In season 1, PMT is wearing his shirts unbuttoned halfway, a fashion thing to show off gold medallions and chest hairs, but also used to deal with the heat.

plus with S3 onwards Crockett did start sporting windbreakers from time to time.

• Administrators

They have to wear the jackets. How else do you hide the weapons?

• Like 1

plus with S3 onwards Crockett did start sporting windbreakers from time to time.

I've noticed that a couple of times in Season 2 and maybe, Season 1? , Crockett would sport a white jacket, that looked a little bit like a coat, or kind of resembled the design of a leather jacket but is white

post-4806-0-75692400-1427250490_thumb.jp

I think this is it here?

You guys might know which one I'm on about  :)

Edited by Detective_Crockett

Detective_Crockett, my signature photo is not from an episode, but rather a photoshoot. I have several photos from that photoshoot. They are large photos, so It would be too big to scan. Glad you like the picture! 

that one I think is from the S2 one with Phil there, right after they bust the guy in the amusement park or somewhat close to it, as I remember him wearing it at the end and I think its more of a general cloth jacket.

Phil the Shill I think, Late S2, so it could have been when they were experimenting with it or lighter jackets for him, as in the same episode they also experemented with trying to fake shift the daytona, before it was replaced with the testarossa

Edited by Kavinsky

Well, for one thing, I think it was shown that Miami detectives had more casual attire. That's why Sonny wears the tees and tanks with some pants and loafers/espadrilles. His clothes always seemed like they would keep him cool and comfortable in the Miami heat.  I think the only reason he wore a jacket was because they wanted to show that the character had a certain style. I noticed Gina and Trudy always wore summery type clothes as well. Lots of tank tops and light dresses as opposed to the power suits that many professional women in the 80s wore. It all pointed to how things are in Miami. For one thing, it's a more laidback and casual atmosphere, and the other thing is that it's too hot and humid to wear clothes that would be uncomfortable, and I guess only corporate businessmen/women, bankers and the like who stayed inside a cool, air-conditioned office all day would have worn suits, not vice cops who were running all over the city day and night. As for Tubbs, the things they had him wearing were quite ridiculous. The full suit and tie thing was crazy. That is why he always looked like he was sweating. I really wish they'd kept his style casual like Crockett's. In the first season, it was more casual, but then they started putting him in suits. In the later seasons, he seemed really out of place wearing the things he did while everyone else was wearing the light clothing. 

As for Tubbs, the things they had him wearing were quite ridiculous. The full suit and tie thing was crazy. That is why he always looked like he was sweating. I really wish they'd kept his style casual like Crockett's. In the first season, it was more casual, but then they started putting him in suits. In the later seasons, he seemed really out of place wearing the things he did while everyone else was wearing the light clothing. 

I always did think Tubbs was a little overdressed for Miami, I suppose he was still keeping the New Yorker in himself, but he should have casualed himself quite a bit, and then there's The Prodigal Son, Tubbs fits in, and Crockett's Miami style doesn't suit New York, I noticed in the scene where they exit the cab, some people where giving Sonny a couple of glances, I suppose New York is New York, and Miami is Miami  :)

Edited by Detective_Crockett

They had several sets of the clothes, so when someone started sweating through the shirt or jacket, they just put a new one on for the shot. Also, if it were really hot and humid, they rehearsed without the jackets. In the OCB, they kept the temp fairly low, so it was fairly cold in there, so they could wear the clothes with the jackets. Yes, even with linen and cotton, it was extremely hot. They just had to do it, that's all. It is one of the actors number one complaints. The heat!

Which ep was it where the air con in the OCB broke down?

Fabrics are a big deal too!

I am no expert but the jackets Sonny wore were very thin and lightweight. Tubbs on the other hand wore more button down suits with vests but I still think they were lightweight fabrics too!

Wintertime in Miami is very nice with warm days and cool evenings but yes summer is definitely HOT! (definitely Miami) The humidity can also get bad any time of year but like I said the winters are very normal temperature wise. It is very comfortable , at least all the times I was down there poolside in January! In fact the locals thought I was nuts sitting by the pool reading a book in my shorts and no shirt. They made fun of me and asked if I was Canadian?

MV could have possibly shot many episodes during the regular months when temps were more normal although you can see in Definitely Miami it was dammmmmm hot!!!!

They needed the jackets to hide their guns. It would've blown their covers if they went to make a drug deal with their holsters and guns in full view. Plus, it's sartorially proper to wear a complete suit. You're meant to wear the jacket and pants as a matching pair. 

They needed the jackets to hide their guns. It would've blown their covers if they went to make a drug deal with their holsters and guns in full view. Plus, it's sartorially proper to wear a complete suit. You're meant to wear the jacket and pants as a matching pair. 

Hiding their holsters is a great answer.  Your second answer is spot on too!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's all been said, but just wanted to add: Here are two clips from behind the scenes showing Crockett and Tubbs dealing with the heat. Rehearsing without their jackets on and with a bottle of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teSJUGM76-Y "Heart of Darkness" episode first 11 sec

https://youtu.be/EPijmaVCiBw?t=31s "Milk Run" episode. In the episode as Tubbs enters the gym, he unbuttons his blazer and then isn't filmed at all for a few minutes while Crockett and Moya talk. 

I've also read that they would shoot in the shade whenever possible. In the end the heat is unbearable no matter what, so you just have to make yourself most comfortable. Sooner or later there is a cool breeze coming in. :p:)

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, summer84 said:

I've also read that they would shoot in the shade whenever possible. In the end the heat is unbearable no matter what, so you just have to make yourself most comfortable. Sooner or later there is a cool breeze coming in. :p:)

I grew up in the South so I'm used to hot humid summers.  I visited Miami last summer and I found it unbearable.  I've never sweated so much in my life.  I actually got up before dawn  one day so I could explore Miami when it was more comfortable.

• Like 2