MIAMI VICE PRODUCTION CONTINUITY PHOTO & PAPERWORK!

COOPER&BURNETT

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 9:15 AM, COOPER&BURNETT said:

Excellent!! 

Pahonu, I enjoyed reading your post! How cool is that?!

Yep, those that do that for a living must have an eye for detail. If they mess up, someone spots it, and posts about a mistake they just caught on a show when watching it either on TV, DVD, or a movie. It does seem to be a job that might be a bit boring, but it's a job that is absolutely a must. Thank goodnes for these people. I wonder what your friend, if she's still in the busniess, does now. I think they have a new kind of polaroid out now, but it's just reciently become available.

Between those times, what did they do for continuity photos? 

Glad you liked it.  I certainly know I enjoyed the flashback.  I have no idea how they would do it today.  I haven't been involved in the industry for over 20 years.  They were still shooting with film then, no digital anything, sound or image.  I can imagine today that with tablets and other devices you could take the photos and write all the notes to digital files.  Of course, a string of polaroids around your neck never shuts off when the battery dies!  So who knows?

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

I found it! The episode that this photo came from is...  HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

After watching several shows now, I see Stan wears the shirt in several episodes. But what caught my eye, and the reason it's from HONOR AMONG THIEVES, is that not only do the pants match, and the room he's in, but the final give a way is the laminated VICE I.D. he wears on his shirt. It's the only episode he wears the shirt, and wears the I.D. on the shirt! 

Great detective work CB!  And thank you for the Switek pic! It's really fun to see and it sure makes you realize how detail oriented filming has to be.  After things are worn even for a bit, I assume the clothing had to be cleaned and pressed again if they needed to wear it in another scene?  Especially with all the sweating going on during this series.   :)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they cleaned and pressed the clothes often. They rotated through the several sets of the clothes, and washed those that were worn, and they put on a clean, identical one the next day, (or whenever they didn't need a different wardrobe change which was often with Crockett and tubbs, who wore different outfits several times a show). Bambi Breakstone (fashion designer for season 2), and Jodie Tillen (costume designer for season 1) used to put Crockett's clothes in a pile so they would all have the same wrinkles in the linen. 

The wardrobe supervisor, Lynette Bernay had her last name used for the neon sign in the pilot episode near the end of the episode when Crockett stops to make a phone call to Caroline at the payphone. The sign was, "BERNAY'S CAFE". 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's an amazing Vice item!

I too think that people working with continuity do an incredible and difficult job, one that is not for everybody.

I was really fascinated when I watched a DVD extra on continuity in "24": that was a hell!

Since the series developed in 24 hours, they had to check everything down to the smallest detail, such as hair lenght/colour and makeup for actresses and beard for actors.

From there on, I always check goofs on IMDB everytime I watch a movie.  :)

• Like 1

I'M THRILLED that you liked this item Pandina!

It just goes to show that there is so much more stuff about MIAMI VICE there is yet to learn. ...Just think what you'll learn from my up coming future posts! :thumbsup: 

• 4 months later...

Just for the record and to answer Coop's question: 63519 is the episode number of Honor among Thieves.

The numbers are never given in consecutive order of filming, but depend on the date the script has been registered. Thus Coop's attempt to count through the eps by the episode number to find the right one was not successful. please refer to my episode guide which contains all the numbers in 5 seasons then you will get a picture of the episode number distribution.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Damn, I love '80s clothes!  Seeing the still picture - That shirt is terrific!  The clothing budget alone for Vice must've been unreal at the time.

Another thing about Switek, he was a "bigger" guy, but in real life, still probably a 36.  I looked on IMDB for his height, but couldn't find.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0847999/