Episode #13 "Score"

Ferrariman

• 8 months later...

I always liked this episode. First half shows the glitz in the hotel lobby where C & T subdue the guy high on drugs, and around the hotel's pool. Amazing, how glasses, buttoned-up shirt & parted hair comb, turn Sonny into a convincing nerd! I really felt bad for the hooker, Candy, when she got beat up by the bad cops. She had a certain tough charm to me. Rico looked sharp in cream colored jacket, tourquoise shirt & white tie. Also blue jacket, melon shirt & white tie. Stan & Larry were colorful ( yellow & black) matching the security vault decor. Second half is darker toned, matching Castillo's demeanor. We get to know him a lot better in this & the next episode. Up to this episode he only gave an icy stare or tough phrase. Now we see him use the skills he learned in southeast Asia as a DEA agent. He is a formidable opponent for the Thai assassin using judo etc. Then we learn he has a wife. One of my favorites. I rate it 10.I forgot one of my favorite scenes. Sonny is filing Elvis' claws & Szarbo & his partner walk up to the boat to make a deal. Szarbo stops what he's saying, & asks: " Is that a real alligator?" Sonny looks over at Tubbs & shakes his head as if to say, Is this guy for real! Cracked me up!

Score is a good episode. The intro with Crockett and Tubbs on hotel security is OK. It was a bit weird The crazed guy on PCP screaming nonsense was very OTT. Then I liked the scene in the park with Castillo. He was great in that scene. I love how he said "They're not your brothers. They never were....I don't just want their badges. I want that slime flushed down the sewer". Very good performance by EJO in this ep. Then I enjoyed the scene where Crockett is undercover as a nerd at the hotel pool. After that the ep tends to be a bit dark and low key at times but is still consistently good but not spectacular. And this ep has some really great Jan Hammer tunes. I especially like the one that was reused in Payback. Then when Castillo says "What did you say?"after Switek mentions the Thai and Jan's Asian music starts, the whole episode transforms into the Asian theme and it's excellent with Castillo at his brooding intense best. His fight with Lao Li's assassin is great too. A good prelude to an excellent second half. 8/10

This is a pretty well written episode with good scripting and snappy dialogue, there's a hilarious opening where Crockett and Tubbs have to subdue a strange personal situation by handcuffing a man to the railings of the steps at the entrance, the scene where Crockett stings a prostitute by dressing as a nerdy guy from Wichita is also pretty hilarious despite the use of "Great Balls of Fire" by Dolly Parton is pretty questionable to say the least, the line "Do you have enough oil or are you greased enough?" is a nice touch.The episode also has stellar acting, Robin Johnson is great as the prostitute Candy, John Snyder is wonderfully sleazy as Szarbo, Edward James Olmos gives one of his great Vice performances here as we get into Castillo's past more, there's also a nice kung-fu fight where Castillo subdues a Thai hitman that kills himself a few seconds later and a memorable score by Jan Hammer.Overall, a well written episode, maybe not amazing enough to get a very, very high score, but still a well written and entertaining episode.Score: 8.5 out of 10.

During that whole Castillo/Switek conversation, you can see both actors were originally saying "Chinese" then later dubbed in the word "Thai." I always wondered why this was. Political correctness? (Did that even exist in 1985?) Or was it important to the plot, and if so, why?

One of my favorite MV dialogs is when Szabo comes up to Sonny's boat and starts asking him questions. From memory, a quote:Crockettt: What, are you writing a book?Szabo: Yeah, something like that...Crockett: Well, kiss me and make it a love story!

• Like 1

• Administrators

The only thing I liked about "Score" was the score, music score that is. Some brilliant work by Jan Hammer carried this episode!

Why change from chinese to Thai<>My guess is to make sense that part of Castillo's background connects to Lao Lee, since Castillo worked undercover in Thailand and Burma and was married to a Thai woman, it was probably decided to change the assassin to Thai to match up with Castillo's background. I wonder if EJO wanted it that way. Maybe someone did some research and decided it made more sense for the United States in the era of Vietnam to be on semi-friendly terms with People in Thailand since Communist China would have not been possible in the era of the 'Vietnam Conflict'. We still thought of them as the bad guys, while Indo-China was a toss-up. I don't know Marshall Arts, but was the kind of Martial Art being used perhaps Thai rather than Chinese?I've got a question? The inside of the hotel looks like the Alexander? Those carpets with the alternating pattern of Green and White, the wooden doors with the knockers, and expecially the hotel elevator part where they have the table with the statute on it and the floor in front of the elevators. However the outside exterior looks like a completely different hotel? Does anyone know if the interior was the Alexander?:confused:

• Like 1

Hey Nancy! That a real alligator?I never noticed the Chinese/Thai lip sych change. I'll have to rewatch the episode again some time and have a look.I too wondered which hotel this was, at least the exterior shots anyway.What I did notice is that during the scene where Candy and Crockett first meet, at the point where he shows her his badge, I don't believe that's actually his photo on the badge! Nor does it appear to be the photo of anyone we know, it just looks like some random dark haired nobody.IMHO, One of the minor flaws of Miami Vice in general was the fact that despite the fact that they were supposed to be undercover detectives, no matter what their cover was, Crockett and Tubbs were always dressed the same, i.e like Drug dealers. Here's an episode where being undercover as hotel security, you would have expected them to be wearing uniforms. However they're dressed in their usual attire. That incongruity would have drawn too much attention. Szarbo would have seen through their act in a second.Another goof was when Crockett and Tubbs were listening in on the wire that Candy was wearing. As soon as Ross and Garcia started beating her up, Crockett and Tubbs immediately rushed in to rescue her, and in fact Ross and Garcia were only just driving away when they came rushing in. Ross and Garcia could have easily seen Crockett and Tubbs in their rear view mirrors. If Ross and Garcia would have seen them, their covers would have been blown immediately, and so would their case. Ross and Garcia would have then known the good cops were onto them and would have moved on or split town. What they should have done was have a uniformed police car hiding round the corner to "coincidentally" drive past Ross, Garcia, and Candy if anything got heavy, and then step in. Then Crockett and Tubb's cover would have remained intact.We get some good views of OCB and it's neighbouring bridge in this episode, at 28:28 and 44:25. That area looks radicially different today.Just before Castillo and Tubbs walk into the Thai restaurant, Tubbs mentions that they are there to check out someone called "Boon Phratek". Sounds more like a character from Jabba the Hutt's throne room in Return of the Jedi than a Vice character!Funniest bit in this episode was Tubbs' face when Castillo starts speaking Thai at the restaurant. EJO was very good in this episode. Not only his laid back but dogmatic "I want that slime flushed down the sewer" speech, but also his pensive stare at the table at 40:09, after he's told Tubbs' to cover the back. You can tell from his face that he knows something is inevitably about to kick off.I always thought that the last time we see Crockett, when he is standing with Tubbs watching Castillo standing over the Thai guys body at the end, this wasn't Don Johnson. It isn't until he slightly moves his head that you notice this looks like someone else's face. Not a bad episode, but the best is still yet to come. 6 out of 10.
  • Like 2

I liked Candy, she was one sweet, pretty cool girl and Jan’s “Candy†added a lot to her character. Sonny dressed as a nerd is really funny, the buttoned shirt doesn’t hide but actually emphasizes his broad shoulders and great body.In Sonny’s nerd outfit the best feature were socks worn with short pants… a nightmare! Back to OCB we see that Sonny hasn’t changed clothes, and I’ve always asked myself: how can a guy go around dressed like this?It’s also surprising to see Castillo make a very little smile when he tells Sonny and Rico “Supplement your income gentlemen, you’re pimps.â€Sonny filing Elvis’ nails is a classic, I love the scene, it’s so Sonny.IMO the unexpected turn is way too drastic and fast: the ep goes from lightweight to dark in just one sentence "You didn't say he was Thai.â€Anyway I’m not crazy for this ep, I’ll give it a 6 just only because we get some info on Castillo’s past with the DEA in Thailand and that he's married.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I give thie episode a 7 for adequate entertainment. For me this ep felt almost like it was comic based in some strange way. Until Lao Li's hitman showed up that is.

• 3 months later...

This episode starts out kind of light weight in feeling, but it picks up. I love how the slap around the dirty cop. By the end it's a mystery."you know Sonny, Castillo is strange."9/10

• 4 weeks later...

Great episode. Excellent music by Jan Hammer especially the tune "Candy." This is another favorite that I like listening to on my I pod. I really enjoy the episodes that tend to get into Castillo's past. I give this episode an 8.

• 9 months later...

Great episode. 10/10.When I first read the thread for "Score", did not remmember the episode. Then relised this was called "Golden Triangle" parts 1 7 2 in Australia.Just a bit of trivia.

• 1 month later...

The most interesting aspect to me in this episode is the scene where Crockett is posing as an accountant nerd from Wichita, Kansas--to try and trap Candy.This is because Don Johnson was from Wichita, Kansas and lived there during his school years (don't know if he was actually born there but he did live there while going to school). I believe he attended Wichita South High School and later graduated from Kansas University (KU) in Lawrence. There were several episodes during the series where Kansas is mentioned and/or sort of made fun of, and I wonder if this was Don's idea? :) A professor at KU in the drama department (back in Johnson's day) is supposedly the one who really encouraged Don to pursue acting and even helped get him started with some contacts he had. Don hasn't always liked to admit or acknowledge his Kansas roots over the years...but he did wear a KU shirt at the end of the series finale, in "Freefall!" :thumbsup:I don't know about Don, but I love his Kansas ties...as I live in the land of OZ! :p Okay...back to the episode:Candy James...I love her part and truly enjoyed watching her work with Crockett and Tubbs! She was almost a true Vice member. I felt terrible when she got beat up by the bad cops...but she handled it well and still helped Vice out by her own decision! Go, Candy! :thumbsup: I also love the music in this episode and Jan Hammer's tune "Candy."Originally this was "Golden Triangle" PT. 1 and I love the bizarre and very interesting history of Castillo's that we learn along the way. Castillo can kick some serious butt, and he definitely would NOT be someone I would want to tick off or meet in a dark ally late at night...especially behind a Thai restaurant! :)Good plot, good music, awesome acting, interesting Kansas ties for me...really good episode! I gave it an 8.

• 2 months later...

This episode started out quite light hearted, then took a rather dark turn. Ending with the BOMB that Castillo dropped at the end.It's a shame that Candy's face time was brief, loved all the back and forth between her and Sonny. Am I the only one who thought the Ninja packin a gun looked odd?The whole thing with Cake and Cupcake couple was annoying.

• 10 months later...
Absolutely deep-going episode!!!:happy::happy::clap:The division into a glamourous, flashy part and a dark, gloomy part is awesome and important because at first nobody thinks that Szarbo's sidekick plays a deeper role. Everyone concentrates on the burglary, the two cops and Candy.The story manages this break such brilliantly that at first nobody (not even the protagonists!!!) knows the ropes.:confused:This circumstance is used to reveal a secret: Castillo is/was married...:hot:I love the hotel scenes because they are very inventive: Sonny and Rico appear as hotel security-guys. They must deal with crazy guys and are reliant on a likeable hooker named Candy.Best scene in this context is the trap for Candy when Sonny masquerades as a nerd coming from Wichita/Kansas (!!!).:DWhen Szarbo and his sidekick get killed, story immediately changes from routine work to a mysterious riddle about the ritual murder at Szarbo and the Thai.:cool:Suddenly Castillo plays the leading part and takes the affair personally.Score ends in a fanatatic Asian fight between Castillo and Lao Li's assassin.:clap::glossy:Really great scenes full of action and Asian culture.:thumbsup:Style is as always eye-catching, Sonny with a white suite and turquoise shirt, Rico wearing a blue suite and white slippers.:happy:Jan Hammer excels himself with Candy and Golden Triangle.:radio:Finally I praise Robin Johnson who plays the hooker very humorously and loveably.:dance2:Of course 10 of 10 stars.

Absolutely deep-going episode!!!:happy::happy::clap:The division into a glamourous" data-date=" flashy part and a dark, gloomy part is awesome and important because at first nobody thinks that Szarbo">

:confused:This circumstance is used to reveal a secret: Castillo is/was married...:hot:I love the hotel scenes because they are very inventive: Sonny and Rico appear as hotel security-guys. They must deal with crazy guys and are reliant on a likeable hooker named Candy.Best scene in this context is the trap for Candy when Sonny masquerades as a nerd coming from Wichita/Kansas (!!!).:DWhen Szarbo and his sidekick get killed, story immediately changes from routine work to a mysterious riddle about the ritual murder at Szarbo and the Thai.:cool:Suddenly Castillo plays the leading part and takes the affair personally.Score ends in a fanatatic Asian fight between Castillo and Lao Li's assassin.:clap::glossy:Really great scenes full of action and Asian culture.:thumbsup:Style is as always eye-catching, Sonny with a white suite and turquoise shirt, Rico wearing a blue suite and white slippers.:happy:Jan Hammer excels himself with Candy and Golden Triangle.:radio:Finally I praise Robin Johnson who plays the hooker very humorously and loveably.:dance2:Of course 10 of 10 stars.

Yeah, even though it was making fun of Kansas in that scene with Candy, I still liked it--because I live in Kansas and only about 45min. from Wichita. Don has Kansas roots (mainly Wichita and Lawrence with KU), so like I mentioned in an earlier post there were a few Kansas tie-ins in a few episodes. I especially loved the KU shirt Johnson wore in the last few scenes of the series finale "Freefall"! :thumbsup:Even back in the 80's, and even more so now, believe it or not, not everyone in Kansas are nerds, dorks, or hicks! :)

• 2 months later...

Score13. ScoreI have come to like this episode more and more each time I see it. The opening was alright. The guy was just erratic and obviously a mental case on coke. I actually liked Candy in this episode. You get the first impression that she’s just your typical everday hooker but she proves that she can be helpful. I love the music when Candy is being followed by those two cops as well as Sonny and Rico. Great tune that should have been included on the Complete Collection. The Zarbo character was interesting but not the greatest. I was a little lost the whole time to what the “score†exactly was in this episode. When Castillo is questioning Stan about the guy being a Thai, I was with Sonny, “Who knew it matteredâ€. But then Castillo gives us our first glance at his past. That’s one thing I appreciated about this two parter. We get to find out about Castillo and watch him steal the show. Again, when Castillo, Tubbs, and Crockett are searching all of the Thai restaurants, I love the music playing in the background. Just a perfect piece for this episode. Castillo calling 3 years of undercover a lifetime was great too. The scene with Castillo chasing the Assassin through the alleys and then the showdown was surprising but yet terrific. Castillo has just been this quiet and reserved character but then MAN! We get to see the guy in action. He lays the ultimate beating on him. Then the last scene where we find out it’s his wife in the photo..awesome. Anyway, this episode is one you have to see a few times to really appreciate it. The scenery, locations, and music are superb in this episode and the unleashing of Castillo makes it a 10 in my book. 10/10