Episode #101 "Miami Squeeze"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

I give this episode a 7. It had merit and keeps one involved throughout the ep. Also a very involving moment between Sonny and Lt. Castillo in the hospital room. Right to the end, the vice squad never doubted Castillo's integrity or trustworthyness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: May 02 2008 at 10:24pm - I liked this episode. I'm not a dog lover but I felt sorry for Edwina. As Nancy said, she was an innocent victim who just followed her master's orders. Ross's house was real classy. The shrink's office really caught my interest with the salt water fish tank & the hanging violins. I liked Sonny's comparison of the therepy session & the interrogations in Nam. The opening boat chase was exciting & the song "Working It" fit well. It was on the style of "Smuggler's Blues." I thought I heard the "In the Air Tonight" music played in a couple spots. Joey learned undercover fast from Sonny. I always like Rita Moreno in whatever she does. Sad to see Castillo framed & then shot! Good acting by DJ in his comforting of Castillo. I rate this a 7/10.

• Like 2

Guest neworder

Pretty generic Miami Vice episode with the added amusement of a British villain. Not a bad episode by any means but it certainly aint anything special.A pretty generic score of 7/10

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

This was another action-filled and enjoyable episode! The beginning boat chase and song, Working On It, by Chris Rea were awesome! :thumbsup:I liked the plot of Castillo being set up this time, instead of Crockett or Tubbs...it was something different and had not happened before. The acting was pretty good too...Rita Moreno is a good actress and I've liked her in most things I've seen her in. Daniel Villarreal, who played her son Lewis, annoyed the crap out of me! :evil: Talk about a whiney, cry-baby...complete with a ponytail. :) But, I think that was supposed to be his part and he did a superb job of making you want "Mommy" to let the Brit and Edwina have him. :pThe action was good and Robert Joy was fantastic, as well as deadly but humorous, as Sebastian Ross! I love how he could just beat people with his cane and talk lovingly towards his dog Edwina all at the same time. I felt bad for Edwina at the end...as she paid the price for her psychotic master. :cry: But, I guess that's life. I also liked Justin Lazard...who returns as Joey Harden, to go undercover and help Crockett out. There was always sort of a father-son thing going on between them and it was cool to watch their role-modeling scene on the fishing dock. I thoroughly enjoyed the ending scene with Crockett and Castillo in the hospital room! The acting and friendship moment between them was heart-felt and felt "real"! :clap:I especially really loved the colors, lighting, and fashion used in this one...the pastels were again abundant and it was like seeing an episode that could have been used in first or second season! :glossy: Overall the acting, action, fashion, colors, plot, etc...were awesome, and this is another Season 5 "jewel". I give it a 9! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Working On It, by Chris Rea were awesome! :thumbsup:I liked the plot of Castillo being set up this time, instead of Crockett or Tubbs...it was something different and had not happened before. The acting was pretty good too...Rita Moreno is a good actress and I've liked her in most things I've seen her in. Daniel Villarreal, who played her son Lewis, annoyed the crap out of me! :evil: Talk about a whiney, cry-baby...complete with a ponytail. :) But, I think that was supposed his part and he did a superb job of making you want "Mommy" to let the Brit and Edwina have him. :pThe action was good and Robert Joy was fantastic, as well as deadly but humorous, as Sebastian Ross! I love how he could just beat people with his cane and talk lovingly towards his dog Edwina all at the same time. I felt bad for Edwina at the end...as she paid the price for her psychotic master. :cry: But, I guess that's life. I also liked Justin Lazard...who returns as Joey Harden, to go undercover and help Crockett out. There was always sort of a father-son thing going on between them and it was cool to watch their role-modeling scene on the fishing dock. I thoroughly enjoyed the ending scene with Crockett and Castillo in the hospital room! The acting and friendship moment between them was heart-felt and felt "real"! :clap:I especially really loved the colors, lighting, and fashion used in this one...the pastels were again abundant and it was like seeing an episode that could have been used in first or second season! :glossy: Overall the acting, action, fashion, colors, plot, etc...were awesome, and this is another Season 5 "jewel". I give it a 9! :thumbsup:

A good review - I too really enjoyed this episode - Directed by Michelle Manning who Producer of the 1985 film "The Breakfast Club" .:thumbsup::cool::D

A good review - I too really enjoyed this episode - Directed by Michelle Manning who Producer of the 1985 film "The Breakfast Club" .:thumbsup::cool::D
Cool...didn't know that. Awesome director/producer...as I remember and enjoyed "The Breakfast Club". :) But' date=' yes, I liked this episode and it's one of Season 5's best. :thumbsup:
This was another action-filled and enjoyable episode! The beginning boat chase and song' date=' Working On It, by Chris Rea were awesome! :thumbsup:I liked the plot of Castillo being set up this time, instead of Crockett or Tubbs...it was something different and had not happened before. The acting was pretty good too...Rita Moreno is a good actress and I've liked her in most things I've seen her in. Daniel Villarreal, who played her son Lewis, annoyed the crap out of me! :evil: Talk about a whiney, cry-baby...complete with a ponytail. :) But, I think that was supposed to be his part and he did a superb job of making you want "Mommy" to let the Brit and Edwina have him. :pThe action was good and Robert Joy was fantastic, as well as deadly but humorous, as Sebastian Ross! I love how he could just beat people with his cane and talk lovingly towards his dog Edwina all at the same time. I felt bad for Edwina at the end...as she paid the price for her psychotic master. :cry: But, I guess that's life. I also liked Justin Lazard...who returns as Joey Harden, to go undercover and help Crockett out. There was always sort of a father-son thing going on between them and it was cool to watch their role-modeling scene on the fishing dock. I thoroughly enjoyed the ending scene with Crockett and Castillo in the hospital room! The acting and friendship moment between them was heart-felt and felt "real"! :clap:I especially really loved the colors, lighting, and fashion used in this one...the pastels were again abundant and it was like seeing an episode that could have been used in first or second season! :glossy: Overall the acting, action, fashion, colors, plot, etc...were awesome, and this is another Season 5 "jewel". I give it a 9! :thumbsup:[/quote']

Yes Michelle Manning directed two episodes of Miami Vice in the series - two from Season 5 "Fruit of the Poison Tree " and "Miami Squeeze" . In 1991 she went to Paramount Pictures and worked here way to President of Production - a real high flyer :thumbsup::cool::D

Yes Michelle Manning directed two episodes of Miami Vice in the series - two from Season 5 "Fruit of the Poison Tree " and "Miami Squeeze" . In 1991 she went to Paramount Pictures and worked here way to President of Production - a real high flyer :thumbsup::cool::D

Cool...good to know! :thumbsup:I also like watching this episode, because somewhere along the line I was able to get a hold of an original NBC airing on an old VHS tape. So, I like to watch the DVD one first, then the tape of the original airing. :D

Cool...good to know! :thumbsup:I also like watching this episode' date=' because somewhere along the line I was able to get a hold of an original NBC airing on an old VHS tape. So, I like to watch the DVD one first, then the tape of the original airing. :D[/quote']Great idea - original airing brill:thumbsup::D

Great idea - original airing brill:thumbsup::D

Yup! It's always cool to watch an original airing--especially if it has original commercial bumpers! :thumbsup:

Yup! It's always cool to watch an original airing--especially if it has original commercial bumpers! :thumbsup:

I love those bumpers and the next "Miami Vice" promos :thumbsup::done::cool::D

I love those bumpers and the next "Miami Vice" promos :thumbsup::done::cool::D

Yup...and I love listening to original voiceovers about what was next and/or the next night on NBC, during the ending credits! Many times they talked about what was on the next "Hunter"...which was another popular 80's cop show on the next night...Saturday. I used to watch it too. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

An extraordinary episode.  With "Borrasca" highlighting some of the similarities between Castillo and Crockett, this episode opens their relationship on a more personal level, and seems to pull on to Crockett to stay within OCB despite him losing his passion for the job.  It seems that the marathon therapy session made Crockett to realize just how deep his friendships are with his OCB co-workers, and as his ex-wife Caroline had mentioned back in "Brother's Keeper" and "Calderone's Return (Part 1)", it was the addiction to the action that kept him so entrenched in working undercover.  Or in other words, the thrill-seeking (or "adrenaline junkie") adventures that his personality wants to pursue in being a cop, is the same pathway that's making him exposed to the loss and tragedies of the criminal underworld and creating such a psychological drain on Crockett.  The huge isolation in his private life is underscored again, which led him down the path of the Sonny Burnett arc.

I applaud how this episode, and this season, shows stronger continuity by incorporating events from "Bad Timing" (Dr. Phillips referral), "Line of Fire" (Joey Hardin's appearance), and "Borrasca" (implicitly with Castillo's tenacity about following rules and worrying how the doctored tape would ruin him) into one episode, unlike with episodes in the earlier seasons which had looser continuity and could be aired out of order within a season without affecting the progression of the series.  Plus, I loved the introspective scenes with Crockett during the therapy sessions.  It gave such a richer, more complex depth to his character in trying to understand what made him "tick", and seeing him trying to reconcile so much of the experiences, emotions, and principles of his life; thus making his character easier to relate to.

The only aspect of the episode that was poor, was Sebastian Ross' behavior.  The British accent and demeanor was a bit over the top, as with his affection for Edwina the dog.

Edited by Vice Immersion

• 1 year later...

Not one of S5's best. Its still decent though.

Good opening. Love the music.

Once again Castillo has a larger part, which is good.

Rita Moreno was good. Couldn't stand the son though.

The guy who played the British villain I liked. I hate it when the dogs get killed.

Like the scene between Crockett and Hardin.

Did anyone else find the music during the scene with Switek, Hardin, and the other guy sounded like In The Air Tonight.

This episode just doesn't really grasp me.

7/10

• 1 year later...

This episode reminds me that season 5 wasn't all that bad, it was actually decent. Good episode, I like the villain Ross, nice to see Joey return. I'll give this one 4/5.

Edited by Rattlehead
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

This episode reminds me that season 5 wasn't all that bad, it was actually decent. Good episode, I like the villain Ross, nice to see Joey return. I'll give this one 4/5.

Great scene when Sonny visits Castillo in the hospital and Castillo asks Sonny whether the team still believed in his honesty and integrity after the lies from the Congresswoman. I always loved the respect  the two men had for each other and this scene showed it so well!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Great scene when Sonny visits Castillo in the hospital and Castillo asks Sonny whether the team still believed in his honesty and integrity after the lies from the Congresswoman. I always loved the respect  the two men had for each other and this scene showed it so well!

Yes very good. 

• 1 year later...

I used to rate this episode highly but I've had a change of opinion. Sebastian is a ludicrous character and the most ludricous character of the show's history. What the hell were they thinking with that character? Otherwise the episode is good and solid but could've been stronger. Castillo getting shot is dramatic but the ep didn't do much with it. Aside from the ludicrous villain it's good. I'd give it a 7.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

• 1 year later...

Poor dog! 

Love the scenes between Castillo & Crockett in this one, the British villain was a bit out of place, great scene as well between Crockett & Joey. 

• 1 month later...

Noticed the piano player in the hitman shooting scene was the same undercover cop that called Crockett about his cousin Jack in the next episode “Jack of all Trades”.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Noticed the piano player in the hitman shooting scene was the same undercover cop that called Crockett about his cousin Jack in the next episode “Jack of all Trades”.

Right but wrong episode thread :p

The piano player was in to have and to hold, not in Miami Squeeze!