Anyone else liked Dune?

BlueAir

Dune is a movie that seems to get both a lot of hate and its own fans.I've seen it on TV a while back and I liked it.I've never read the books but enjoyed it.It was hard to understand things at times and a bit slow but I didn't mind.My dad told me when he was at a movie theater at the time Dune was in release.He said there were employees that were handing out glossaries for viewers to understand what was going on.I looked it up and there it is (http://www.themarysue.com/dune-glossary/).The movie itself visually looked pretty cool to me and plus it has Sting in it :cool: In my local costume store they sell a bunch of movie posters and found one of Dune and bought it.

Edited by BlueAir

I find the film to be a fun Sci-Fi movie. That might not what Dune was intended to be but the cast, music and '80's special effects make it a joy to watch.

• Like 1

Read the Frank Herbert novel long ago and it was fairly complex as SciFy books go, but very entertaining. But unless you had read the book ahead of time, I suspect some viewers may have found the movie hard to follow.

well the interesting thing was apparently alot of the ideas for the movie adaptation ended up in Alien, so despite everything that happened with its success it worked out in the end.

although With David Lynch, you kind of expect insanity, like here

and 17:55 is just gold lol

plus Neros77 did put the movie to good use, and tell me if you ever look at this line the same again.

• Administrators

Cool movie and decent special effects for it's time.  I don't know if anyone can truly explain what this movie was about except Frank Herbert.  Tried reading the book many years ago. I don't remember if I got through it or not but between the book and the movie I enjoyed it. Thankfully the movie was very faithful to the book or we'd all be lost!

• Like 1

Cool movie and decent special effects for it's time.  I don't know if anyone can truly explain what this movie was about except Frank Herbert.  Tried reading the book many years ago. I don't remember if I got through it or not but between the book and the movie I enjoyed it. Thankfully the movie was very faithful to the book or we'd all be lost!

I agree - looked great - throughly recommended

I loved the movie!

It had a unique look about it such as costumes and spacesips etc, but it was meant to be that way. It was a bit like the old 40's Buck Rogers type of "ArtDeco" styling but with a modern twist. You can see this in the controls of the spacecraft and the inside set design.

The story was good but it had a huge backstory just like Star Wars (don't get me started) but the idea of the movie is that same old "all men are equall" thing and down with dictatorship etc.

I liked the storyline and the effects were ok for the time as well.

I bought a used set of dvd's from the bin at the local video store and it is the HBO series of "Dune" It was rather long and drawn out, but told the story in more detail. Not as good as the movie and you need a long weekend of bad weather to do a marathon viewing of the series.

I prefer the motion picture version.

• 3 months later...

I always liked Dune and David Lynch. It would have been interesting if he had directed Return of the Jedi like Lucas wanted him to. I'm excited about the reboot of Twin Peaks for that matter. I still have my Dune Sega Genesis game: "Movin' Out" ;

It would be cool for Lynch to bring back Twin Peaks too but last I heard he backed out of the project for some reason?

His insight in making Dune was good and I liked the cinematography in the movie. I think it was well done.

Kind of rates up there with Bladerunner for me for sci fi classics.

It would be cool for Lynch to bring back Twin Peaks too but last I heard he backed out of the project for some reason?

Initially he had backed out because he claimed they wouldn't give him a big enough budget to do the episodes but after some ire from the fans towards Showtime not only did Lynch re-join the project but Showtime doubled the number of episodes from 9 to 18. According to his co-creator Mark Frost the new Twin Peaks won't hit air until 2017.

By the way, following up on Miami Vice 1984's mention of Lucas' interest in getting Lynch for Return of the Jedi here's Lynch talking about that experience. Had to only provide a link as the video's poster doesn't allow for playback on other websites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

• Like 1