"Land of the Rising VICE?"

M.A.Castillo

I thought about making a discussion topic about this subject awhile back,

and today reading comments in a different topic about Michael Mann having had planned -

for season 4 episodes, atleast one or two, set in Paris, France and Tokyo, Japan.

What do you think? I personally have an admiration for Japan, the people and culture there,

and plan on going backpacking there in future. 

Now, the idea of a "Miami Vice" episode or two setting in the urban neon jungle counterpart,

without the palm trees and flamingos, that is Tokyo - i find it to be an exciting thing.

There was talk in that another topic about these episode(s) being Yakuza centered,

and i think that this is a fantastic idea - this probably being one of the most likely to-have-happened settings,

if Tokyo would have been a city featured and filmed in.

I could see atleast Crockett & Tubbs with Castillo ofc going there, and Castillo having, 

due to his Southeast Asian riddled past, a main focus in the episode(s).

Tokyo, circa 1987. Around the time that season 4 was in production and premiered later in September that year.

101099637_d56819f516.jpg

101099638_e4d421ffa7.jpg

What could have been out of this, if Mann's plans had come through?

To what kind of an operation would the men from Miami jumped on, in the "Land of the Rising Sun"*?

*Thus the clever topic title, even though Japan in general is a safe and very low crime rate country.

Your thoughts? You can also discuss the would-have-been Paris setting here.

Edited by Markwey
  • Like 1

I was in Osaka on the set of Black Rain when they were filming establishing shots. I was by then the biggest MV fan I knew and couldn't stop marrying the possibility of the two worlds merging in my young aspiring filmmaker's imagination.

I definitely saw Crockett getting around on a confiscated street racing grade motorcycle. The soundtrack to the show matched perfectly to the streets and cityscapes of Osaka as night fell. A magical time for a then-17 year old Vice fan.

• Like 1

I too have this admiration for Japan and Asia, Hong Kong too, I would have loved to have seen episodes in Tokyo, it would of been great, the 3 of them battling the Yakuza most definitely. xD

• Like 1

A Dublin episode was planned for as the premiere of the third season "When Irish Eyes.." but had to be scrapped when DJ was busy recording his debut solo album :D  :)  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think it would have been a bit like Black Rain with the feel of the Season 4 episode Rising Sun of Death. Probably Castillo let loose in Japan going after the Yakuza with a sword while Crockett tagged along to be confused by the local culture. It definitely would have been fan favorite material and a highlight of season four.

Not so sure about Paris though, no offense to any French users of the site but Japan would have fit better due to Castillo's knowledge of Asian culture and of course the Yakuza presence. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...