Which car for a 21st century Vice?

Touch of Class

You are a producer in charge of creating the spiritual successor to Miami Vice set in modern times, which vehicle would you choose for the protagonists to cart themselves around in?

You can suggest anything, of course, but I'd be interested in your choice of vehicle that you can buy new on the market today.

I would have chosen a 911 turbo, black or gunmetal grey. 

Timeless classic, and more suitable for undercover work than a flashy Ferrari. 

Ferrari California, what else? Black. Or white.

Ha! I knew someone would suggest that. But I agree that it's an excellent choice.

I would have chosen a 911 turbo, black or gunmetal grey. 

Timeless classic, and more suitable for undercover work than a flashy Ferrari. 

Classic indeed.

Edited by Touch of Class

Season 1-3 (blown up in the modern pilot of Season 3 following in footsteps) : Ferrari California black.

Ferrari-California-Novitec-Rosso-1.jpg

Season 3-5 (Introduced in the second episode of modern Season 3, following old footsteps yet again)

White 2012 Ferrari 458 

2012_ferrari_458_italia_road_test_review

Staying true to the original and giving it a modern twist at the same time!  ;)

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 1

Hmm you'd need something handmade with flaws, that is simple, understated, forgotten and realtively unknown, much like the daytona was in the 1974 to 1984 time period

as only those who had seen it or read about it really knew about it

and it has to get that wow what is that reaction from people like the daytona replica did with me, which is something that is super difficult to do nowadays vs the countach which was everywhere from 1979 onwards

so I'd say the alfa romeo 8C spider

13777270774_544af1015d_b.jpg

5124360778_bedbecd938_b.jpg

as its something that you will never care about getting dated or old, like what happens with Modern Lambo's more than any other car, plus no one is going to call you a hipster or a philistine for driving it

especially in that understated silver, and still wish they would have used that color instead of white on the TR.

I mean it is being used as a wedding car in that last photo for a reason, I mean its just that awesome. hell the only other car I've really seen being used like that was the good inspectors jaguar.

5771367511_b8e2cb1c25_b.jpg

and you really dont know quite how good looking that car is until you buy a model of it and see the design in person that way, like with this 1:43 looksmart model of it.

0000275-dsc00214.jpg

although the thing is, in this color its hard to color match with things as its very loud, as its literally a ruby red, and shines just like it, hence the silver color there and why the color needs to be understated to make it work, as otherwise it can become an eye sore if you cant color match it to a room properly, and that would probably apply to the clothes of vice as well

hence why we never saw any real red cars in it.

and tell me you dont see hits of the daytona there, and like the countach, its a monster to drive and has the same sort of comfort issues that one has to an extent, meaning you have to love cars to really put up with driving it, and you go out and say, Yes Lets take the 8C out for a drive

vs a modern lambo that a blind man could drive safely in the same comfort as a camry, and that is the key, its not something a normal person would put up with, and that's what makes it fun. it has to have some flaws to be cool.

hell its why I chose a WW2 P38 as the pistol I learned to shoot on, as no one else in their right mind would do something like that and use it like that, it would have been some stupid glock or a .22 pistol for a normal person, nor a WW2 M1903 A3 Springfield Rifle without a scope and the stripper clip.

as any other sane person would have gone for an AR 15 .223 pea shooter ground hog rifle (its a nato version of the remington .222, literally ment for ground hogs) instead of a .30 - 06 rifle with a metal buttplate.

and I'm still wondering how the hell Adrienne Barbeau managed to drive that monster countach in the Cannonball Run while wearing heels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-JeuppCM4

I mean no wonder Carpenter married her and she played catwoman in batman the animated series, she was a perfect fit if she can do that while wearing those things lol

Tubbs however, the only other car I could think of is a 1980's AMG monster, like he drove in the first season for an episode or two, like the white merc Youngman still has, the white one from one of the Dennis Farina Episodes, One Eyed Jack I think?

i021654.jpg

or a 1986 AMG hammer

8378092112_23344b9b79_b.jpg

I mean tell me, if he drove that wouldnt he deserve to have Samuel L Jacksons Wallet from pulp fiction to go along with it lol plus it would fit, rememeber what the thugs said at the start of the first episode

man this guy must think He's Michael Jackson or something lol.

although I still like the 1964, as once its fixed up and cleaned up its a pretty, no really nice car really.

and its a shame we never saw it in a brand new state like there, as it really pops once the paint is fixed up and polished like it was there.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

Season 1-3 (blown up in the modern pilot of Season 3 following in footsteps) : Ferrari California black.

Ferrari-California-Novitec-Rosso-1.jpg

Season 3-5 (Introduced in the second episode of modern Season 3, following old footsteps yet again)

White 2012 Ferrari 458 

2012_ferrari_458_italia_road_test_review

Staying true to the original and giving it a modern twist at the same time!  ;)

I was thinking the same thing, switching to a white Ferrari after a couple of seasons.

But there are a lot of posibilities out there, like an F12 Berlinetta. 

maxresdefault.jpg

599 GTO

Ferrari_599_GTO_21_Inch_wheel.jpg

Take a completely different route with the new 488 GTB.

Ferrari-488-GTS-2.jpg

Ferrari%2B488%2BGTB.jpg

Doubt they'd be able to get their hands on a LaFerrari.

white-ferrari-laferrari-02-front.jpg

10498001_10152275639528333_8339039580730

I'd go with a Black Cali and then with a white F12, as suggested by James.

MV imagery's bound with Ferrari, that's why I see other brands not fitting the bill. Just my view guys ;-)

Edited by Jerry Beck

hmm fair enough, although techinically Alfa is ferrari or was, as they were  owned by the same company, same thing with maserati

actually what about this one then? the alfereti

800px-2014-03-04_Geneva_Motor_Show_0832.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

hmm fair enough, although techinically Alfa is ferrari or was, as they were  owned by the same company, same thing with maserati

actually what about this one then? the alfereti

800px-2014-03-04_Geneva_Motor_Show_0832.

Maybe for the Lt's car. Castillo drove a Maserati, right?

• Administrators

lol nah it was some old ford sedan, a copy of it was used in Vice City as the Police car and the taxi

Didn't he drive a Maserati in one of the episodes? Can't remember which one though, I think it was one where he went undercover.

I seem to remember seeing a Maserati Bi Turbo in one of them, but I think it was the Bruce Willis Episode.

and they had a black spider in baseballs of death.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

Martin drove a Lambo Jalpa in one episode, where he's undercover... Was it Rising Sun Of Death?

Ah yes, that he did. 

I do remember a Black Jalpa showing up in the show more than a few times, in particular it was the wheels of the drug dealer in the Dutch Oven, an S2 episode shot in S1, kind of an underated and cool machine in of itself.

hell I wonder, did they have the Rocky car on the show then? as they really didnt make alot of lambos back then like they do now, as back then it was usually under the 1k mark, and supposedly only 410 with the jalpa.

so maybe he was friends with Rocky, hey man I need to borrow your car for a deal, you got it man, or maybe he repossesed it from him with the Castilo staredown lol.

okay man, here take it lol

Edited by Kavinsky

Martin drove a Lambo Jalpa in one episode, where he's undercover... Was it Rising Sun Of Death?

It was Indian Wars not The Rising sun of death :)

How would any of you feel about an electric car for the show? As I see it, the Testarossa was a cutting edge expression of '80s style and performance, so perhaps our hypothetical vehicle should do the same for our time.

Rimac Concept One

rimac-concept-one-electric-supercar_1003

Admittedly I'm not very taken with the styling (the same goes for the interior), but I think something in this vein is worth considering.

hmm I gotta admit the Testla sedan aint bad, as its very citroen esque

800px-Blue_Tesla_Model_S_Zoutelande_dune

plus the electric motors offer instant torque at any speed, hell I could see Marty Driving this.

Edited by Kavinsky

It's obvious. Black California with beige interior! 

ferrari_california_black_by_jeandesigner

ferrari-california-t-c199931072014200117

Ferrari-California-Black-Convertible.jpg

Nice! This one would be on my shortlist as a Daytona owner and lover of the black beauty originally used by Sonny. To me Black is the color of choice and the tan interior is reminiscent of the original Daytona driven in the early seasons. This car has sportiness, and exudes power and class.

Didn't he drive a Maserati in one of the episodes? Can't remember which one though, I think it was one where he went undercover.

Pretty sure it was Indian Wars, and I may be wrong on this, but I thought it was a 1984 Lamborghini Jalpa.

And in that ep we also see a DeLorean.

Nice! This one would be on my shortlist as a Daytona owner and lover of the black beauty originally used by Sonny. To me Black is the color of choice and the tan interior is reminiscent of the original Daytona driven in the early seasons. This car has sportiness, and exudes power and class.

Couldn't agree more. This IS the car.

I gotta admit if theres one car that has benefited from a face lift the most it was the California, as its amazing what a little change to the dimensions can do

such as with the C7 Z06 here, the change to the grill work fixes it more or less.

16863829797_5a3d8b48d4_b.jpg

as it no longer has its moustash and has more of an egg crate grill with two bigger vents on either side to break it up, (although I am not a fan of overly busy, bulky and overvented hoods)

and its funny what can backfire too like here

17071234765_7ae501fbbc_b.jpg

as when you put it next to other cars this can happen, as it looks like its been delivered pre crashed, and you gotta love that they fix the look of the gallardo, and then they ruin it with the huraclama or whatever its called.

800px-Lamborghini_Gallardo_-_Vision_Moto

800px-Lamborghini_Gallardo_LP_570-4_Supe

and I seriously came close to buying a model of this galardo, its just the stripes on the side ruin it, plus the 5 liter V10 thing, as they overuse that motor in anything it seems, and that bothers me on principal.

double the price for half the motor, from 8 to 5 liters.

Edited by Kavinsky