Which car for a 21st century Vice?

Touch of Class

• Administrators

Nice! This one would be on my shortlist as a Daytona owner and lover of the black beauty originally used by Sonny. To me Black is the color of choice and the tan interior is reminiscent of the original Daytona driven in the early seasons. This car has sportiness, and exudes power and class.

Yeah, I always consider the California the new Daytona. Because the cars have so many similarities when it comes to the bodystyle, and even interior.

1. Watch this

2. Listen to In the Air Tongiht.

The car in the video is black, and has the right interior! (The black lines on the seats, black at the top of the dash, just like the vice car)

watching that I just had the same problem with it that I did with the F430 in the 06' Movie, paddle shifters will just never look cool or as dramatic as a manual.

also it didnt help that he forgot how to shoot a car moving fast, the camera has to be stationary to show off just how fast the thing is moving

but Imagine how weak would it have looked to have Crockett flip the thing up in gear instead of slamming it into second in the final testarossa montage to Honeymoon suites bad additude?

its just gotta be gated, or in the proper place for it in an auto, center console and out of sight.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

but Imagine how weak would it have looked to have Crockett flip the thing up in gear instead of slamming it into second in the final testarossa montage to Honeymoon suites bad additude?

I assume that scene also inspired the race scenes of The Fast and the Furious, when it shows them pressing the clutch and shifting. It is super cool.

But unfortunately stick shift is being phased out, by new technology (well, 20 year old technology), which can shift gears instantly electronically. But there's nothing quite like shifting by yourself.

Maybe they can put a camera behind the wheel and show him slamming the paddle... I don't know. Show the Tacho at high revs, shifts up... Edit it the same way it was in Stone's War. Anything can be made to look cool, if you know how.

Couldn't agree more, Kavinsky. And that also applies for a huge variety of things that were supposed to be "better".

I could start an endless list, but let's keep the focus on cars: not me, but an engineer working at Ford said :"Technology actually killed the driving experience". I'm with him.

We are totally isolated from the road and the engine. We could be everywhere and it would be the same. Back in the 70s, when I started to drive, you had to learn tricks and have a firm hand to be a good driver. More, changing from a car to another was quite an experience, cause they were different.

We wait for the next car ad, we won't even have to drive. The car's brain will take care of that.

Doesn't it look like everything gets worse as much as they improve it?

watching that I just had the same problem with it that I did with the F430 in the 06' Movie, paddle shifters will just never look cool or as dramatic as a manual.

also it didnt help that he forgot how to shoot a car moving fast, the camera has to be stationary to show off just how fast the thing is moving

Imagine how weak would it have looked to have Crockett flip the thing up in gear instead of slamming it into second in the final testarossa montage to Honeymoon suites bad additude?

its just gotta be gated, or in the proper place for it in an auto, center console.

Edited by Jerry Beck

yeah I remember Valentino Balboni saying with 4 wheel drive, it a makes everybody good drivers, so now that's standard on everything save for the commemerative model they made bearing his name with lamborghini. and that's the thing about a clutch, not everyone can work it or trusts themselves to decide how the car opperates.

the funny thing with the manual gearbox however was that on the Porsche Carrera GT, a 2003 car, the gearbox actually rev matches the motor for your shifts, so all you have to do is hit the clutch and shift, but so many people were used to the old way of doing it as described in the 360 video there, that they were burning out the gearbox and the clutch.

and I hate to admit it but I had a similar experence with a screen door, where I was so used to the old manual one where you just put the slider to where you want to hold the door and then put it back to close it

that when I replaced the door and I was like how do I open and close this damn thing, it turns out all I needed to do was press the button to hold it,  and then push it all the way open to close it, and I didnt know that for 2 damn years and was forever fiddling with the damn thing till someone told me.

so its one of those things where if something seems like its old style, but its not, the people need to know about it and what makes it that way, and how it works for it to catch on

and its only now that the Corvette C7 actually has the rev matching system on it that can be turned on and off,

and Tiff Nidell lamented that the only manual cars you can get in england, are actually the corvette and the mustang.

so I think if that system that was on that Carrera catches on like that, it could save the manual, and the only other alternative I could think of is this

a quaife Subsquental gearbox

and they used those on the old group B rally cars, and there still is a clutch, plus I've looked that up and they can be fitted to other modern cars such as the Focus replacement, that fiesta ST I think its called

but its more a person has to trust themselves to operate the machine, and even if that stuff helps there still has to be that jump made by the consumer to say I trust this machine. as some people will never buy a manual car just because

but that is where the marketing comes in

I mean for god sakes I was talking to the guy at the dealership about the golf R and where is the reverse on it, and it turns out that no one on the lot who moved the thing could figure out how to operate it reliably

and its only in passing that one of salespeople mentioned it was an over and down system, and that was not posted anywhere so everyone was afraid of this thing, as they were thinking they were going to put it into reverse by accident when trying to find first

even though the clutch was nice and easy to operate, and precise, its just that no one said or put anywhere push down and over to the right to initiate reverse.

and dont worry you cant put it into reverse when your driving as long as you dont push down on it, the whole trust thing again, as you have to tell people that to build consumer trust.

its a tricky psychological thing really, that is why marketing is so key, and I guess for the longest time we were so used to people having manuals that we forgot to teach the next gen how to operate them when the autos became so widespread.

you know training before bitching, and I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 5 months later...

Some nice cars have been posted here! How about a black Ford GT? Solid in terms of speed and handling, this car is also looking current and at least on par with the Testarossa in terms of both performance and style.

Ford_GT_High_Quality.jpg

Ford_GT_BLK_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Some nice cars have been posted here! How about a black Ford GT? Solid in terms of speed and handling, this car is also looking current and at least on par with the Testarossa in terms of both performance and style.

Ford_GT_High_Quality.jpg

Ford_GT_BLK_1.jpg

I must say in my eyes that is a beautiful car.  I can see myself driving that while listening to Jan Hammer.

• Like 1

I've seen this baby in person actually, a dark blue one over by the leather shop in Framingham MA 10 years ago (I was getting a jacket repaired) and its really that low looking

kinda hard to see really, I must be honest and say it didnt strike me like the new one has

as this new one looks like its a step forward, and seems to be acknowledging its herritage, the GT 40 and the RS200 while moving forward and utitlizing new technology and aero

800px-2017_Ford_GT_front.JPG

800px-GT40_at_Goodwood.jpg

800px-SchancheBreitenederMelk1989.jpg

vs the 2006 model

800px-Goodwood_Breakfast_Club_-_Ford_GT_

I mean honestly with the new one, its like the 06' never happened, its that good.

and I must wonder if clarkson will have a new one of these given this.

I mean that 2017 grabs me, although I'd want to square the tail pipes to break it up and maybe matt black the ends.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1