Your top pet peeves.

Detective_Crockett

I hate it when people say "awesome" to describe everything from a new tie, to signing your name on a register.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I hate it when people say "awesome" to describe everything from a new tie, to signing your name on a register.

Sorry. I think I use the word "awesome" a lot. :)

U r so right man! I hate guyz wo dont spel corretly, I'm 4 gramar to. Btw I hate who uses acronimees AYSIJAJ (find this!)

The grammar one gets me all the time... I dropped out early, but people who completed their schooling don't know the difference between your and you're, and can't spell to save their lives.

Then you correct them and they say it's unimportant because it's on the Internet. But with it being on public display, the internet is one of the most important places to use correct grammar.

If you're going to use a language, at least use it correctly.

So I'm a bit of a "grammar nazi" myself..

U r so right man! I hate guyz wo dont spel corretly, I'm 4 gramar to. Btw I hate who uses acronimees AYSIJAJ (find this!)

jerry da way u type iz so kool, i wish i cud type dis way 2.

Oh my god, I feel violated of my grammar  :)

Hahaha, maybe it's because I use my elbows instead of fingers LOL

Ok, let's get serious. Couldn't agree more with you Detective_Crockett. Believe it or not, I don't use abbreviations, not even when I send sms. And I take my time to write "you're" instead of "your". A lot of people mispell lots of words, and that's something I just cant' bear. I type real quick - and I make a lot of typos. But I proof read anything more than one time before to hit the send button. Sure it's not the key to perfection, but at least a sign of respect for the language. And for the ones who read.

How many versions of the word "definitely" have you read? ;-)

jerry da way u type iz so kool, i wish i cud type dis way 2.

Oh my god, I feel violated of my grammar  :)

Hahaha, maybe it's because I use my elbows instead of fingers LOL

Ok, let's get serious. Couldn't agree more with you Detective_Crockett. Believe it or not, I don't use abbreviations, not even when I send sms. And I take my time to write "you're" instead of "your". A lot of people mispell lots of words, and that's something I just cant' bear. I type real quick - and I make a lot of typos. But I proof read anything more than one time before to hit the send button. Sure it's not the key to perfection, but at least a sign of respect for the language. And for the ones who read.

How many versions of the word "definitely" have you read? ;-)

The correct spelling is 'definitely'

But the things, I hear for that word.... I see.   'definitly' or 'defenitely' or even 'defo' or 'deff'

The most annoying one is 'most deff'   :(

Some abbreviations are okay, but I try not to use them that much, when I do abbreviate I use... TWD (which means The Walking Dead) FB (Facebook)  MV (Miami Vice)  DJ (Don Johnson)  there are many others too..

Edited by Detective_Crockett

• Administrators

How about when people say "you's" when talking to multiple people? I hate that so much because it isn't even a word. I've seen people use the non-existent word as "use" - which makes me cringe even more.

• Like 1

I would like to add two more to this discussion.  One is drivers who have one of their turn signals on for miles.  The other is drivers who do not turn off the bright lights when I approach. 

When you get drunk and you say "I'm never drinking again" but really you're lying to yourself :)

AYSIJAJ (find this!)

For the life of me Jerry, I can't figure it out..

all I can think is.... A young Sith is just attacking Jedi.

:)  :)  :)  

How about when people say "you's" when talking to multiple people? I hate that so much because it isn't even a word. I've seen people use the non-existent word as "use" - which makes me cringe even more.

James, that is very common here in the UK, I myself don't like it too much either, I just think '''Yooh's are female sheep not a word.''

Edited by Detective_Crockett

• Administrators

James, that is very common here in the UK, I myself don't like it too much either, I just think '''Yooh's are female sheep not a word.''

Really? I thought it was just an Australian thing.

Everytime somebody says it I just feel like shouting "You's isn't a f'ing word!", but if I did that I probably won't have any friends. :)

Really? I thought it was just an Australian thing.

Everytime somebody says it I just feel like shouting "You's isn't a f'ing word!", but if I did that I probably won't have any friends. :)

Sadly, some things are just left best unsaid :)

• Administrators

My all-time favorite grammar mistake (NOT!)

Axe me a question.

Axe me a question.

''Yo Ferrari man dawg, can I ask you summin? I just wanna axe u a question..na mean homie?''

Oh my god... :)  why do people talk like that?

Axe me a question.

I don't think they write it wrong it's the way they pronounce it, when talking.

Edited by Tony D.

Sorry. I think I use the word "awesome" a lot. :)

The only things that I would call awesome is God, or one of His creations such as the Grand Canyon!

You hear 5 yr. olds saying their cereal is awesome. Kind of overkill.

• Administrators

Ok ok ok, this one really gets on my nerves.

When somebody watches a video on their smartphone with the phone speakers on.

This really makes me feel stressed and a shortness of breath, I absolutely hate it... Not to mention that all you hear is treble so I get a headache from it also.

It drives me crazy.