Where to find the right material for a jacket?

Armani84

I'm going to attempt to get a jacket made in the style of one of my favourites from S1 (photo attached). To me it looks like raw silk, does anyone know any good websites that might be able to find a similar looking fabric for me? It's Crockett's, btw.post-5621-0-74723000-1428916289_thumb.jp

They just don't make this kind of fabric anymore.

I used to have a couple of blazers quite close to that one, it was typical 80s. Not only the pattern, but also the stuff it's made of makes the jacket look like that. It's a bit metallic and the fabric's not flat, it's got some texture.

I think the first place where to look is the net but - if they still make something similar - I guess is just intended for interiors and furnitures, like sofas or curtains. Which is not bad anyway, maybe is the place where to start from, who knows.

In any case, good luck, pal ;-)

I love that jacket too, I wish I could find that one or make it, it's absolutely awesome.

I usually find myself wearing my general grey blazer with my pink henley whenever I want to do that style.

I keep on dreaming one day,I manage to get my hand on a good Vice style jacked,put the shades on and all the ladies will be mine :cool: ...one day...one day...

• Like 1

This is an easy one fellas. Why didn't you come to your Uncle Coop in the first place? ;) The blazer Crockett wore is 100% silk. 

silk%20001_zpsai9za0d6.jpg

Jerry was correct in saying it has texture, and he was correct in saying that they really don't make these anymore. The silk is patterned, so it's not 100% smooth. It has a slight sheen to it, as that is how silk reacts to light. 

silk%20003_zps8obnrxbi.jpg

silk%20004_zpshmz0kmlr.jpg

Where do you find this material? Not sure, as this silk patterned jacket is exclusive to the jacket.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

I stole the "Uncle" part from Phil Collins' line from Phil the Shill...."Why didn't you talk to your Uncle Phil First?" lol

It's 100% silk guys!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

This is my stand in for that specific jacket we're talking about, of course it's not exactly the same, but it feels thin and silky. (It's also very light grey, but the lighting in my room blows)

post-4806-0-06875000-1429158005_thumb.jp

post-4806-0-61925400-1429158060_thumb.jp

Not exactly the same, but similar eh?

Edited by Detective_Crockett

Nice Jacket. Do you wear it often? Any day it's warm, I'm wearing a blazer.

I often wear it with my pink henley and white pants  ;)

The jacket is a couple of sizes bigger on me though, as I'm very short and have a tiny bit of an athletic build, so sometimes I do have to roll up the sleeves lol total Vice  :cool:

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I'm going to try and go for a raw silk as that has a bit of natural patter running through it, and see how it goes! Will let you know how I get on

Good suggestions Fresh Prince, the problem with today blazers is they differ so much from 80s ones in many ways: cut, colors, kind of fabric, texture etc. You're lucky if you find one or two of these features. My advice would be to do a research into the vintage category, as that's the only way to hopefully find something right.

The last one you suggested proudly shows its 80s nature, I'd say perfect. The only reason I didn't bid is the double breast, which I don't like. Otherwise is ok.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

https://www.steinmart.com/product/birdseye+two+button+sport+coat+58679101.do?sortby=priceAscend&refType=&from=fn

Here is a similar blazer to the grey one. I don't like the slant pockets but that may be overlooked.

It looks like a jacket Tubbs would wear not Crockett.

It's almost impossible to find the fabrics for a couple of reasons.

Those jackets Crocket wears are designer clothes from high dollar fashioneers so a single jacket might cost a thousand bucks in 1985 money! Also many of the designers get the fabrics custom made and are made of light airey fibres that would be expensive to make again today.

I went to a few "FABRICLAND" department stores and a big warehouse in Toronto looking for some material for some boat upholstery I was doing for a friend. I stumbled over some real cool black-lightly speckeled fabric and made a cool jacket out of it. I am no expert on fabric and only dabble with upholstery as a hobby. I own my own sewing machine and learned years ago to sew and make all my own boat and vehicle upholstery but clothes are very difficult for me. I had to get a neighbor woman to help me with the cuts on the jacket and she showed me how to sew the sleeves etc. Quite a project for and amateur like me. I figured since I can't buy any clothes like Crockett's I would make my own.

In my digging at all those Fabricland stores I did not find a lot of suitable material that you could make a jacket out of...unless your name is Don Cherry and you host a hockey show. (He has the most outrageous jackets ever made and has one made every single week for his show on TV)

Sadly many of the fabrics of some of Crockets fancy jackets is no longer available. I remember owning a pair of "Parachute" pants and I had a "Hugo Boss" jacket back in the 80's. That Jacket was almost identical to one Crocket wore in season 2.  The fabric was light and airey and you can't even find that stuff anymore. What a shame as they were very comfortable.

• Like 1

Hi!

By the way, does anybody of you know what kind of blazer jackets did Don Johnson wore during the 3rd Season? I mean those short blazers with shoulder epaulettes, could someone tell me the name of the manufacturer?

2 hours ago, Voodoo Vice Dealer said:

Hi!

By the way, does anybody of you know what kind of blazer jackets did Don Johnson wore during the 3rd Season? I mean those short blazers with shoulder epaulettes, could someone tell me the name of the manufacturer?

Hope you are enjoying the site !:D:D

• Like 1