Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger?

Detective_Crockett

The Joker is one of my most favourite characters of all time, but which Joker do you prefer and why?

Jack Nicholson?

post-4806-0-36192100-1430879789_thumb.jp

Or Heath Ledger?

post-4806-0-02688900-1430879827_thumb.jp

Extra: This will be the new Joker played by Jared Leto (30 seconds to Mars) in the upcoming movie Suicide Squad, I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the new joker..:

post-4806-0-42278600-1430879911_thumb.jp

6 months ago I would have said Jack before I saw the dark knight around halloween, or right on it actually, as I never like buying into hype trains, as as soon as I hear something is good or god like. I tune out, as as I get older things seldome match up to what I my imagination thinks its going to be.

hence why what I did was I watched the Dark Knight first, and just incase it didnt messure up I would watch batman 1989 afterwards to clense the palate, as David Goyer is a very hit and miss person writing wise for me, usually ending up on the miss part of it.

but Ledger my god, that was a perfomance and a half, I mean Jack is Jack, About Smit, Chinatown, Easy Rider, Anger Managment, a few good men, he's got more stripes to him than a Zebra.

But Ledger in the dark knight, he takes the cake Joker wise, even against Mark Hamill, but his perfomance was a mix of jack's and Cesar Romero's, save for in the Arkham Games as it was still a kids show until then and they had to keep it toned down

but him, he gave it a 110 percent, you really felt he was a real psychopath, and he was the joker

and its even sadder that the sequel, the Dark Knight Rises never had him in it, and its blatently obivious that Bane was supposed to be Joker

as Joker would have been tied into the web of shadows, they would have known who he, Bruce, is from the getgo hence him going after the girlfriend like he did, and everything would have fit together so much better.

as in the second film he has this mystque to him, like where did he come from, what does he do, why does he do it, you replace bane with joker in the third film and it all fits, and the vengeance factor makes sense.

I mean it really is one of the great performances, and it sucks that he never got a chance to do an encore, even if there is a certain amount of truth to what Chad Vader's actor said about the films, where they're really great films as long as you dont think about them too much.

but that's true of anything within reason, as how the hell does Ceti Alfa 5 just explode out of nowhere Khan?

but that's easily fixed with the line an asteriod belt ran into the thing, or a planet killer feasted on it and failed mid dinner.

and if you look hard enough you'll find holes in anything, its just a matter of how bad the holes are and how many they're are, and film making is an art of deception really in alot of ways too but regardless

Jack maybe the king of a Ceasar Romero Like performance mixed with a psychopath, next to mark, who can top him in different aspects.

but Ledger, he nails the scary clown thing to a tee, and you dont laugh with him like you do in the other film with Jack, well outside of the Pencil Bit, and the if your good at something never do it for free bit, as your just bewildered at how smart the guy is.

the new guy? well to quote kirk Fresh Minds, Fresh Ideas and they want to be seen and heard, hence that be taught thing he said when they first saw the Excelsior, so there going in a new direction, atleast visually to pull people in.

although I am far more curious in how that bombshell with the meek name does as Harley Quinn, who's never had a live action version of her done before.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

No one can beat Jack.... A hugely talented actor who can be whoever he wants...

Heath wouldn't be bad though...

True. But you asked "Who else". :)

• Administrators

Yes James, you know, it's a way to say he has virtually no competitors whatever he does... ;-)

You're right. 

I think my joke backfired.

• Administrators

Heath wins the contest for me. Jack was great if you are a fan of the old silly TV show but Heath was much darker,  believeable and more true to the comics.

but that's true of anything within reason, as how the hell does Ceti Alfa 5 just explode out of nowhere Khan?

Not to get off topic but I never bought that theory either. I don't question how or why it exploded. What I question is with all their sensors and technology how can they miss an entire planet?!

Naaah...

Come on guys, Nicholson started a career playing negative roles that nobody wanted to accept. And very few actors left such a trace in movies history. Just think about "One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest" or "The Shining", but there are dozens... His artistic height can be compared with very few actors, that's it.

You can like him or like another better, and it's ok. After all, that's was the spirit of the original post.

But saying he's for "old silly TV show fans" is just wrong.

Ok, time to stop being Jack's lawyer. He doesn't even pay me ;-)

Heath wins the contest for me. Jack was great if you are a fan of the old silly TV show but Heath was much darker,  believeable and more true to the comics.

Agree 100%. I didn't like much of the camp that was in the '89 Burton movie (or the series) and so for realism Ledger is my choice for the best. Admittedly I was very skeptical when I learned of Ledger playing the role but after seeing him as the Joker...was just an incredible performance

And I forgot about the earlier comics that were indeed much darker than the 60's tv show.

Having said that I thought Nicholson's performance in A Few Good Men was stellar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_X6GunOlQ

This right here, is why I love Jack Nicholson's Joker a lot, but I also really really love Heath Ledger, to put it quiet simply, I've liked all live versions of Joker.

They've been different and each to their own very good.

Heath's Joker suited the more dark and political state of the modern day.

And the 60's Batman I have never watched, it doesn't seem like my sort of thing at all, but the theme song is very catchy. xD 

Edited by Detective_Crockett

I forgot to add that so far I have liked all the versions of the Joker realy, actually I'm surprised Joel Schuemacher didnt have a joker in any of his batman films now that I think of it, but on the other hand riddler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_X6GunOlQ

This right here, is why I love Jack Nicholson's Joker a lot, but I also really really love Heath Ledger, to put it quiet simply, I've liked all live versions of Joker.

They've been different and each to their own very good.

Heath's Joker suited the more dark and political state of the modern day.

And the 60's Batman I have never watched, it doesn't seem like my sort of thing at all, but the theme song is very catchy. xD 

weird, its blocked in my country and i'm in the US too, hmm I wonder if its prince striking again as he has them mute the audio of any of his tracks that get uploaded to youtube by the way.

as I tried to look up 1999 and party man because of my batman rewatch, as I remembered them using that 1999 song for new years here and I hadnt heard it in ages. looked it up, loaded it up and heard nothing in the video, I thought my sound was out until I checked the comments and found that out

and theres nothing on the video that says that the audio has been muted either too.

what a really nice guy huh? he must have gone to the Goodfellas school of business

oh you wanna look up my song for old times sake, and you cant find my vemo, Fuck you pay me lol

Edited by Kavinsky

Just watch this sequence (from "About Schmidt") and you've got an idea of what a giant he is. Funny montage though ;-)

Ok guys..here's a comparative and ranking:

hmm weird I got an ad for some guy who leased a 5 year old lambo, saying that I own this and you can too if you buy my crap as a starting pre roll video

yeah cue the commando clip of arnie saying bullshit lol

anyways the Nolstagia critic also did one of these too, old vs new joker at 4:25

one of his older videos, and he mirrors my thoughts to a tee actually, so I wasnt the only one who thought, nahhh no one can match jack.

Edited by Kavinsky