MIAMI VICE #2 PRODUCTION CONTINUITY PHOTO & PAPERWORK!

COOPER&BURNETT

He said DON made him a lot of money, as he was late to the set from his trailer, and held up the crew so many times (the longer the wait, the more money Rick, and everyone would make in overtime).

Hey Coop,

Sounds familiar!  They have a saying in the industry, and that's what everyone calls it, "the industry". LOL!  :D   They say on set: "hurry up and wait", and it's true.  Every time there's a new set up, the crew busts its butt to block out the shot and set the lighting with the stand ins, prepare to roll sound and all the other details.  It had to be done yesterday...and then you wait for the actors.  Usually it was no big deal, just a few moments, but sometimes they're doing some PR stuff or an interview or something, and you stand around and wait...and wait.  That's where you start making money for nothing.  The standard union day is 8 hours with a meal.  After that is time and a half for the next 2 hours, double for the next 2, and then what everyone called "golden time" if you went passed 12 hours.  We did that on occasion and you get paid triple!  One week I clocked 71 hours, including some golden time. :)

When you brought up Rick Bravo was the focus puller, I suddenly remembered how the focus puller was always pulling the tape measure from the lens to the stand-ins faces to measure the focal length.  Don't know why that particular detail popped into my head, but I haven't thought of that in 20 years!  :)   Thanks for another great flashback!

Thank you for your further insite into the "Industry". I love reading what you have to say, and look forward to it. 

Triple time? I've never recieved that in my whole life. Time and a half, yes, triple time...no. "Hurry up and wait" is a saying I've heard, as I used to do amatuer movies and videos since 1978. The most I've worked at my job was 11 straight days, one day off, then seven straight days and finally, two days off. I'm certain there are others on here who will beat that (I know someone who worked a straight month), but It sure was long for me! 

Glad you like to hear about it.  I just enjoy the little flashbacks, as I've mentioned.  My career today is far removed, so the little things that spark those memories are fun.

Baywatch filmed on a 5-day schedule, which is a breakneck pace for a 1-hour drama.  Most are on a 7-day schedule.  That's why they used a lot of montage scenes with music.  Filming 2nd unit without sound is much quicker.  So I never worked that many days in a row like you did, but clocking 71 hours in 5 days means loooong days.  That's how I clocked several hours of golden time.  One day was 16+ hours if I remember correctly.  Also, union rules required a second meal if you went past 12 hours, if I remember correctly.

Edited by pahonu

I wish I knew exactly where the other continuity photos of other MIAMI VICE stars, and co stars are? If they weren't saved by the actor themselves, I wonder if they were discarded, or in some archives at Universal still filed away somewhere... Wonder if they still exist.

They are rare when it comes to MIAMI VICE, as only one of the actors seems to have some. John Diehl doesn't have any, Saundra and Don have all said they didn't save anything. That leaves PMT, Olivia, and EJO who haven't chimed in on saving anything yet.

Production staff may have saved something. That's how I often get things on here to share.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Thank you for your further insite into the "Industry". I love reading what you have to say, and look forward to it. 

Triple time? I've never recieved that in my whole life. Time and a half, yes, triple time...no. "Hurry up and wait" is a saying I've heard, as I used to do amatuer movies and videos since 1978. The most I've worked at my job was 11 straight days, one day off, then seven straight days and finally, two days off. I'm certain there are others on here who will beat that (I know someone who worked a straight month), but It sure was long for me! 

Coop

I did work a job where I got triple time.  It was with a 5000 man company and anyone who worked Christmas Eve thru News Years Day got the bonus money.  

Also when I was serving in the Air Force I once worked 42 straight days doing 12 hour shifts.  Believe me, when I got a chance to get away I left the base and disappeared for three days.  

• Like 1

OMG! Holy Crap!! You see, I KNEW someone worked more days than I have! I remember when I finally got my one day off, I felt like I couldn't believe I had a whole day off, as it seemed so long ago. I have no idea how you were able to handle that Vicefan 7777!

OMG! Holy Crap!! You see, I KNEW someone worked more days than I have! I remember when I finally got my one day off, I felt like I couldn't believe I had a whole day off, as it seemed so long ago. I have no idea how you were able to handle that Vicefan 7777!

I was serving my country and this was a time when major construction was taking place on the base (Minot, N.D.) in 1987.  I was an officer with the security police and we had to watch several thousand civilian contractors.  We had four flights of security that normally would be divided into eight hour shifts.  But because of the increased responsibility we had to work 12 hour shifts and us young lieutenants had the worst of it.  

Actually Coop I was on salary for $2000 a month.  All our military is salaried. Just for fun I did some calculating back then and figured with all the hours, I was working for $2.30 per hour.  :D .  But I had full medical,  a private studio apartment with twice a week maid service, and cheap meals.    Plus the blue uniform was a chick magnet.  So it was worth it. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I agree with you COOPER&BURNETT. He was a wealth of information and knowledge on the show and could have been a major asset to the site.

Edited by FerrariCrockett

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

@FerrariCrockett glad to see you posting here!

Coop doesn’t check in here anymore. :birdie:

That's a shame! Thanks for letting me know. I figured I was taking a long shot trying to post on such an old thread haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FerrariCrockett said:

That's a shame! Thanks for letting me know. I figured I was taking a long shot trying to post on such an old thread haha

His threads, on the other hand, are always active. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah i think coop just burned out, it happens, still regardless its fun to see the retro new wave movement come about and the music to come back in such a big way that was directly influenced by vice.

as theirs always gonna be a NEXT generation that discovers vice and enjoys it like any other old tv show.

• Like 1

FWIW, some time next year I plan on moving further south (where the drinks are cold and I don't know the players, lol) to be both closer to Miami and I'm thinking of putting together a vlog where I would go to all the local hotspots, dressed in Crockett's clothes, and play plenty of New-Retrowave music throughout the episodes. Just gives some quick reviews of the place and take some scenic videos. As well as visit all the shooting locations (though those I'll just take pictures since it'll be mostly streets and stuff, not actual establishments) Maybe even make connections with some of you fine folks when you come down to visit. I'll never be Coop, sure, but I'd still like to do this for fun.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

well Miami of now is probably pretty different to the way it was, so alot of places are probably far different than what they were in the show, if for no other reason than the code changes and all the money put into miami over the years, but I'm not gonna lie I've had the same idea with like a rented Testarossa, as theirs some app they have with haggarity where you can rent cars like that now, or a daytona replica, mind you I'm kind of a private person so I'd probably do it at night and also I'm far more a fan of the fashion of season 3 and the pilot, the more casual blend in look, its just he switched from a black car that could hide to a white one so it threw off that idea abit lol

actually the most fun way to see miami or the area around it might be a speedboat really, as those things are beasts and their'd still be less driving those than all the cars down there, like see if they have speedboat tours or something, just make sure if they do that you have plenty of sunscreen

as the sun down there is murder

also you'd want to avoid the winter season, when most of the people would be down there along with summer, like actually september october when people would be back at home for school and the like, would be the ideal time

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1