COOPER&BURNETT

MIAMI VICE #2 PRODUCTION CONTINUITY PHOTO & PAPERWORK!

pahonu    53
pahonu

He said DON made him a lot of money, as he was late to the set from his trailer, and held up the crew so many times (the longer the wait, the more money Rick, and everyone would make in overtime).

Hey Coop,

Sounds familiar!  They have a saying in the industry, and that's what everyone calls it, "the industry". LOL!  :D   They say on set: "hurry up and wait", and it's true.  Every time there's a new set up, the crew busts its butt to block out the shot and set the lighting with the stand ins, prepare to roll sound and all the other details.  It had to be done yesterday...and then you wait for the actors.  Usually it was no big deal, just a few moments, but sometimes they're doing some PR stuff or an interview or something, and you stand around and wait...and wait.  That's where you start making money for nothing.  The standard union day is 8 hours with a meal.  After that is time and a half for the next 2 hours, double for the next 2, and then what everyone called "golden time" if you went passed 12 hours.  We did that on occasion and you get paid triple!  One week I clocked 71 hours, including some golden time. :)

When you brought up Rick Bravo was the focus puller, I suddenly remembered how the focus puller was always pulling the tape measure from the lens to the stand-ins faces to measure the focal length.  Don't know why that particular detail popped into my head, but I haven't thought of that in 20 years!  :)   Thanks for another great flashback!

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

Thank you for your further insite into the "Industry". I love reading what you have to say, and look forward to it. 

Triple time? I've never recieved that in my whole life. Time and a half, yes, triple time...no. "Hurry up and wait" is a saying I've heard, as I used to do amatuer movies and videos since 1978. The most I've worked at my job was 11 straight days, one day off, then seven straight days and finally, two days off. I'm certain there are others on here who will beat that (I know someone who worked a straight month), but It sure was long for me! 

pahonu    53
pahonu

Glad you like to hear about it.  I just enjoy the little flashbacks, as I've mentioned.  My career today is far removed, so the little things that spark those memories are fun.

Baywatch filmed on a 5-day schedule, which is a breakneck pace for a 1-hour drama.  Most are on a 7-day schedule.  That's why they used a lot of montage scenes with music.  Filming 2nd unit without sound is much quicker.  So I never worked that many days in a row like you did, but clocking 71 hours in 5 days means loooong days.  That's how I clocked several hours of golden time.  One day was 16+ hours if I remember correctly.  Also, union rules required a second meal if you went past 12 hours, if I remember correctly.

Edited by pahonu

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

I wish I knew exactly where the other continuity photos of other MIAMI VICE stars, and co stars are? If they weren't saved by the actor themselves, I wonder if they were discarded, or in some archives at Universal still filed away somewhere... Wonder if they still exist.

They are rare when it comes to MIAMI VICE, as only one of the actors seems to have some. John Diehl doesn't have any, Saundra and Don have all said they didn't save anything. That leaves PMT, Olivia, and EJO who haven't chimed in on saving anything yet.

Production staff may have saved something. That's how I often get things on here to share.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Vicefan7777    397
Vicefan7777

Thank you for your further insite into the "Industry". I love reading what you have to say, and look forward to it. 

Triple time? I've never recieved that in my whole life. Time and a half, yes, triple time...no. "Hurry up and wait" is a saying I've heard, as I used to do amatuer movies and videos since 1978. The most I've worked at my job was 11 straight days, one day off, then seven straight days and finally, two days off. I'm certain there are others on here who will beat that (I know someone who worked a straight month), but It sure was long for me! 

Coop

I did work a job where I got triple time.  It was with a 5000 man company and anyone who worked Christmas Eve thru News Years Day got the bonus money.  

Also when I was serving in the Air Force I once worked 42 straight days doing 12 hour shifts.  Believe me, when I got a chance to get away I left the base and disappeared for three days.  

• Like 1

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

OMG! Holy Crap!! You see, I KNEW someone worked more days than I have! I remember when I finally got my one day off, I felt like I couldn't believe I had a whole day off, as it seemed so long ago. I have no idea how you were able to handle that Vicefan 7777!

Vicefan7777    397
Vicefan7777

OMG! Holy Crap!! You see, I KNEW someone worked more days than I have! I remember when I finally got my one day off, I felt like I couldn't believe I had a whole day off, as it seemed so long ago. I have no idea how you were able to handle that Vicefan 7777!

I was serving my country and this was a time when major construction was taking place on the base (Minot, N.D.) in 1987.  I was an officer with the security police and we had to watch several thousand civilian contractors.  We had four flights of security that normally would be divided into eight hour shifts.  But because of the increased responsibility we had to work 12 hour shifts and us young lieutenants had the worst of it.  

Vicefan7777    397
Vicefan7777

Also I was doing a job I loved.  So mentally I just pushed my way though the hours. 

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

Pretty awesome! Hopefully, you made good money!

Vicefan7777    397
Vicefan7777

Actually Coop I was on salary for $2000 a month.  All our military is salaried. Just for fun I did some calculating back then and figured with all the hours, I was working for $2.30 per hour.  :D .  But I had full medical,  a private studio apartment with twice a week maid service, and cheap meals.    Plus the blue uniform was a chick magnet.  So it was worth it. 

• Like 1

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

Vicefan 7777, your a really cool guy!!  I like you.

Pandina    23
Pandina

Those are the items that really make us dive into the world of Miami Vice! 

Thanks for sharing Coop! 

• Like 1

COOPER&BURNETT    987
COOPER&BURNETT

Yep! As fans, we're lucky we can see this!