Episode #100 "To Have And To Hold"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
Guest neworder

After one of the best episodes of Miami Vice, this crap is produced. The 100th episode of Vice is a very disapointing one. Rubbish storyline, rubbish acting throughout, and tubbs wears some seriously weird clothes in this one.Some nice scenery here and there though and there's a bit of action to keep it plodding along.Still weak though 4/10

I give this episode a generous 7. But mostly in part of Rico's assignment with the DiMarco and Pendrosa clans. I just found that Sonny's reunion with his son and ex wife lacked the emotional impact that their last meet up produced.

• 4 weeks later...

I liked the wedding & shootout. Maria had her hooks out for Tubbs from the start. I thought Tubbs outfits were pretty cool, except for the busy Tux jacket & busy shirt. The black jacket & white shirt with scarf looked cool. Crockett looked scruffy most of the time. His kid, Billy had a better haircut than he did! Billy's lines were delivered kind of stiffly, but I liked the attempt Sonny made to be a dad to Billy, finally. Castillo showed a lot of compassion for Crockett when he let him take the time off. My favorite line was Tubbs' reaction to the oldest son, : " Your word, I'll take the 100 Grand!" I played that back about 5 times. :D Maria was a real "black widow" with a scorpion on her neck to boot! Rico tried to resist her, but was weak! I also liked the ending, & the looks C & T gave each other when they considered a normal life & their " Nah!" I give it 7.5 for the father & son interaction & Tubbs' 100 Grand remark. I raised my score to an 8 for this poll.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Enjoyed this - nice to see Sonny off duty - brought more depth to the character.Maria was hot - Tubbss outfits were good yet strange - big black boots !Overall good with a lovely scene on the boat at the end of the episode between C&T.:D:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Awesome beginning...with the wedding and the wild-west style shootout! :thumbsup: However, Tubbs always seemed to have his little 38 while everyone else had machine guns or bigger! :) Some things 'ya just gotta' love with "MV". ;)Maria definitely had her plans and carried them out with a deadly, black widow-style coldness...except when it came to Rico. She really did seem to love him...or who she thought he was. But, as with most of Tubbs' women (as well as Crockett's for that matter)...they always turn out to be naughty femme fatales (or whack-jobs...can we say Valerie!). :pI love the actor Miguel Ferrer and have seen him in tons of stuff...but I thought it was really cool to learn that his brother, Rafael Ferrer, played Carlos...his character's cousin! Both of their characters (Ramon and Carlos) were crazy but interesting to watch...but it was somewhat humorous that neither realized how deadly and "serious" Maria was...and both were taken care of by her.I liked the fashion, or clothes, in this one...even Crockett and his son Billy's clothes were true 80's/early 90's! :thumbsup: I loved it that Crockett actually took the time off from a case to help his son...as a caring father would! :clap: The scenes between Sonny and Billy were heart-felt and funny. However, this would be the last time we ever see Billy and his mother Caroline. :cry:I especially loved the scenes between Castillo and Crockett when he asked for the time off to see Billy! That truly felt "real" and a time when not only Sonny and Castillo understood each other...but that DJ and EJO were able to see eye-to-eye for a scene and what it needed. :clap:I also liked it that Tubbs was able to handle a case superbly without Crockett...as the reverse has been done as well. With assistance from Castillo and Gina he was able to get the job done. But, as with Sonny too, his one problem was getting too caught up with a bad-girl. :rolleyes:Overall I love the action, plot, and acting...I gave this a strong 8! :thumbsup:P.S. Somehow along the line I was able to get a hold of an original NBC airing of this episode--that includes the original commercial bumpers, and voice-overs for what was next or on during the next week, during the ending credits. It's always fun to watch first my DVD of this one...then the tape of the original airing. :D

• Like 1

Awesome beginning...with the wedding and the wild-west style shootout! :thumbsup: However, Tubbs always seemed to have his little 38 while everyone else had machine guns or bigger! :) Some things 'ya just gotta' love with "MV". ;)Maria definitely had her plans and carried them out with a deadly, black widow-style coldness...except when it came to Rico. She really did seem to love him...or who she thought he was. But, as with most of Tubbs' women (as well as Crockett's for that matter)...they always turn out to be naughty femme fatales (or whack-jobs...can we say Valerie!). :pI love the actor Miguel Ferrer and have seen him in tons of stuff...but I thought it was really cool to learn that his brother, Rafael Ferrer, played Carlos...his character's cousin! Both of their characters (Ramon and Carlos) were crazy but interesting to watch...but it was somewhat humorous that neither realized how deadly and "serious" Maria was...and both were taken care of by her.I liked the fashion, or clothes, in this one...even Crockett and his son Billy's clothes were true 80's/early 90's! :thumbsup: I loved it that Crockett actually took the time off from a case to help his son...as a caring father would! :clap: The scenes between Sonny and Billy were heart-felt and funny. However, this would be the last time we ever see Billy and his mother Caroline. :cry:I especially loved the scenes between Castillo and Crockett when he asked for the time off to see Billy! That truly felt "real" and a time when not only Sonny and Castillo understood each other...but that DJ and EJO were able to see eye-to-eye for a scene and what it needed. :clap:I also liked it that Tubbs was able to handle a case superbly without Crockett...as the reverse has been done as well. With assistance from Castillo and Gina he was able to get the job done. But, as with Sonny too, his one problem was getting too caught up with a bad-girl. :rolleyes:Overall I love the action, plot, and acting...I gave this a strong 8! :thumbsup:P.S. Somehow along the line I was able to get a hold of an original NBC airing of this episode--that includes the original commercial bumpers, and voice-overs for what was next or on during the next week, during the ending credits. It's always fun to watch first my DVD of this one...then the tape of the original airing. :D

• 1 year later...

...And Tubbs' and Crockett's passion for the job erodes a little further.

The deterioration and backstabbing of the Pendroza family was similar to the family in "Hostile Takeover" except it was led by group of assassins who had their parents tortured by the drug lord family.  I kind of had a sneaking suspicion halfway into the episode that Maria had more to do with family turmoil since she was falling so quickly with Tubbs, and didn't want to leave, or at least distance herself from the Pendroza family somewhat considering the drug connections.

But what was more interesting was the plot with Crockett in having to fly to Atlanta (I'm presuming) to see Billy.  I enjoyed how it drew upon the cumulative experiences Crockett had endured when Crockett was about to tell Caroline that he was too busy to see Billy, how the scene subtly reminded the audience of the events of "Child's Play", and with his discussion with Castillo, also reminded the audience just how much Crockett had endured (specifically the loss of Caitlin and the Sonny Burnett arc) since we last saw Billy in "Like A Hurricane".  The line how Crockett felt that he felt he was letting people down, seemed to apply in many areas in his life (not only with his son Billy, but his co-workers and the law when he became Sonny Burnett, and his former wife Caitlin by helping Hackman go free).  It was nice to see Castillo slightly thawing his stern demeanor, but after May Ying leaving Castillo, and especially after the events of "Borrasca" revealing some parallel struggles both he and Crockett could relate to, it's more evident to see as to how it would slowly head in that direction.  Plus, it the show gave us a little more into Crockett's youth (having an older brother) that we haven't really known much about (except in "Bad Timing").

The episode still holds that elusive, tantalizing allure of domestic simplicity and stability for both Tubbs and Crockett, and it certainly came on stronger with another love interest of Tubbs being killed, and Crockett witnessing how far his ex-wife has progressed into her new married life and how distant he is from his son (reflecting how things could have been for him), but for now, it hasn't completely seduced them yet to give up their badges.  :p

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 1

I haven't watched this since it originally aired so I'll have to watch it on dvd. However, I always remembered the ending with the guys talking on the boat because that felt like such a throwback to season one to me. Somewhere, they stopped socializing & everything became work. That, along with the increasing focus on Crockett, really threw the feel of the show out of whack.

What's crazy to me is watching that final scene, it's hard to believe it's only been two years since the season 3 fashions & only 5 years since they started working together. I get the whole burned out thing but it would have played better a few more years down the road. It's like Vice was on some accelerated clock. They just seemed so much older than season one.

What's crazy to me is watching that final scene, it's hard to believe it's only been two years since the season 3 fashions & only 5 years since they started working together. I get the whole burned out thing but it would have played better a few more years down the road. It's like Vice was on some accelerated clock. They just seemed so much older than season one.

They were the 80s, pal. An amazing, joyful, accelerated decade. That's it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

.But what was more interesting was the plot with Crockett in having to fly to Atlanta (I'm presuming) to see Billy. 

Most people do seem to believe Caroline and Billy (as well as Caroline's new husband, Bob) were living in Atlanta.  But I clearly recall that Sonny went to Ocala (FL) to see Billy during the Season 4 episode Child's Play.  So I think that while Caroline may have initially moved to Atlanta after leaving Sonny(perhaps her family was there), she later returned to Florida so Billy could be closer to his dad--just in case Sonny decided to take time off to see his son.  Ocala is quite a long way from Miami, though--she makes the comment "You must have driven all night" when Crockett arrives at her house in Child's Play,   In To Have and To Hold, I assumed she was still living in Ocala.

• 1 year later...

I like this episode. Mainly because of the scenes between Crockett and Billy.

The plot with the Pedroza family was good but kinda had a been there done that feeling. That being said I love the opening. The scenery, music, and shootout was all perfect.

This episode included some godawful fashion for Tubbs.

Maria was cute.

Lol i think I'm getting burnt out on these reviews right along with Crockett and Tubbs.

8/10

• 6 months later...

The great difference between Sonny's and Rico's personal lives in this episode makes me angry. Why Sonny can visit his son when he wants and Rico not? Where the hell is his baby? And the next love is killed. Why Mann doesn't love Rico as he loves Sonny?! I don't like that.

Edited by Sea-light
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

To be sure:

I’ve always assumed Crockett “found” Billy at the movie theater, but upon watching last night, it really could be that Crockett had already found him and brought him there. Billy doesn’t seem surprised at all when his dad approaches him, which could also be chalked up to Billy’s blasé attitude up to that point of the episode. Hmm...

How do you guys interpret that scene?

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

To be sure:

I’ve always assumed Crockett “found” Billy at the movie theater, but upon watching last night, it really could be that Crockett had already found him and brought him there. Billy doesn’t seem surprised at all when his dad approaches him, which could also be chalked up to Billy’s blasé attitude up to that point of the episode. Hmm...

How do you guys interpret that scene?

For me it was clear that Crockett found him there.

Billy told him earlier that Bob did not let him go to the movie theater for the Frankenstein flick.

When Crockett later learnt from Caroline that Billy ran away after a fight at school, he knew exactly where to look first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

For me it was clear that Crockett found him there.

Billy told him earlier that Bob did not let him go to the movie theater for the Frankenstein flick.

When Crockett later learnt from Caroline that Billy ran away after a fight at school, he knew exactly where to look first.

I agree, and from a writing standpoint, it seems that’s how it was intended, but someone could easily make an argument with those same points as the reasons Crockett took him there (along with Billy’s nonchalant reaction to Crockett’s entrance). Even Crockett’s “I wish you’d have told me you were into horror flicks...” line lends to either interpretation, but it really does seem like a quintessential “opening” line from Sonny.

Anyway, the intent of my question was to make sure I had gotten it “right” all these years, and it seems that I had.

Unless anyone else wants to weigh in...

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Even Crockett’s “I wish you’d have told me you were into horror flicks...” line lends to either interpretation, but it really does seem like a quintessential “opening” line from Sonny.

That was just cynical. He then said "Last time (we saw a horror flick together) there was a worm sliming over Cleveland...". So he must have known for long that Billy was into that (which is bad continuity at another part of the script, as Crockett told Castillo before he left that he had not seen Billy for over a year and Billy was eight in Like a hurricane in 1987, so how could Crockett have seen other scary movies with him at age 8 and less?).

Billy´s reaction in the theater was not designed to make me believe he was surprised to see his father. 

Also, let´s not forget they had no cell phones back then. How could Crockett -without a phone- contact Billy (who was run away from school) and agree to meet somewhere? He was sitting at Caroline´s when she got the call and he got to the theater right away.

• Like 1

Again, I agree that he found him at the theater, but Crockett could have found him somewhere else and took him there, right? 

“I’m just looking for some objectivity here, Tom.” :) 

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Again, I agree that he found him at the theater, but Crockett could have found him somewhere else and took him there, right? 

“I’m just looking for some objectivity here, Tom.” :) 

"This case was dumped on me, but I have to do it right ...."

Yeah, Crockett could have found him somewhere else, but if he had been that lucky in a town he did not know at all (Atlanta), he rather could have won in the state lottery and called Castillo that won´t come back again. :)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

"This case was dumped on me, but I have to do it right ...."

Yeah, Crockett could have found him somewhere else, but if he had been that lucky in a town he did not know at all (Atlanta), he rather could have won in the state lottery and called Castillo that won´t come back again. :)

Well, that street they were walking on in “Atlanta” looked A LOT like Lincoln Road Mall, complete with palm trees, so I’m sure he felt right at home. :p

• Haha 4

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about this one lately, especially the scene which begins with Ramon Pendroza saying "So we finally see the whore behind the grieving widow" and ends with Maria saying "Don't count on it" to Carlos before she shoots him (I don't count on it!:)). Maria, she really knew how to destroy from within.

I thought it was nice to see Caroline & Billy again, under much more basic and calmer circumstance. The reservations shared by Billy with his father felt relatable to me (I'm an only child, so another sibling was something I never had happen).

I liked the mix of action, feelings, doom, regret, and self-reflection this episode had to offer. A certain sensible sadness occurred within the events of this episode, and that set well with me. Now, off to that weenie roast off the coast...

• Like 1