Episode #100 "To Have And To Hold"

Ferrariman

Awesome beginning...with the wedding and the wild-west style shootout! :thumbsup: However, Tubbs always seemed to have his little 38 while everyone else had machine guns or bigger! :rolleyes: 

Maria definitely had her plans and carried them out with a deadly, black widow-style coldness...except when it came to Rico. She really did seem to love him...or who she thought he was. But, as with most of Tubbs' women (as well as Crockett's for that matter)...they always turn out to be naughty femme fatales (or whack-jobs...can we say Valerie! :p).

I love the actor Miguel Ferrer and have seen him in tons of stuff...but I thought it was really cool to learn that his brother, Rafael Ferrer, played Carlos...his character's cousin! Both of their characters (Ramon and Carlos) were crazy but interesting to watch...but it was somewhat humorous that neither realized how deadly and "serious" Maria was...and both were taken care of by her. ;)

I liked the fashion, or clothes, in this one...even Crockett and his son Billy's clothes were true 80's/early 90's! :thumbsup: I loved it that Crockett actually took the time off from a case to help his son...as a caring father would! The scenes between Sonny and Billy were heart-felt and funny. However, this would be the last time we ever see Billy and his mother Caroline.

I especially loved the scenes between Castillo and Crockett when he asked for the time off to see Billy! That truly felt "real" and a time when not only Sonny and Castillo understood each other...but that DJ and EJO were able to see eye-to-eye for a scene and what it needed. :clap:

I also liked it that Tubbs was able to handle a case superbly without Crockett...as the reverse has been done as well. With assistance from Castillo and Gina he was able to get the job done. But, as with Sonny too, his one problem was getting too caught up with a bad-girl. Overall the action, plot, and acting were pretty good...I’d give this episode a 7-8. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome beginning...with the wedding and the wild-west style shootout! :thumbsup: However, Tubbs always seemed to have his little 38 while everyone else had machine guns or bigger! :rolleyes: 

Maria definitely had her plans and carried them out with a deadly, black widow-style coldness...except when it came to Rico. She really did seem to love him...or who she thought he was. But, as with most of Tubbs' women (as well as Crockett's for that matter)...they always turn out to be naughty femme fatales (or whack-jobs...can we say Valerie! :p).

I love the actor Miguel Ferrer and have seen him in tons of stuff...but I thought it was really cool to learn that his brother, Rafael Ferrer, played Carlos...his character's cousin! Both of their characters (Ramon and Carlos) were crazy but interesting to watch...but it was somewhat humorous that neither realized how deadly and "serious" Maria was...and both were taken care of by her. ;)

I liked the fashion, or clothes, in this one...even Crockett and his son Billy's clothes were true 80's/early 90's! :thumbsup: I loved it that Crockett actually took the time off from a case to help his son...as a caring father would! The scenes between Sonny and Billy were heart-felt and funny. However, this would be the last time we ever see Billy and his mother Caroline.

I especially loved the scenes between Castillo and Crockett when he asked for the time off to see Billy! That truly felt "real" and a time when not only Sonny and Castillo understood each other...but that DJ and EJO were able to see eye-to-eye for a scene and what it needed. :clap:

I also liked it that Tubbs was able to handle a case superbly without Crockett...as the reverse has been done as well. With assistance from Castillo and Gina he was able to get the job done. But, as with Sonny too, his one problem was getting too caught up with a bad-girl. Overall the action, plot, and acting were pretty good...I’d give this episode a 7-8. :thumbsup:

Good review; I love everything about this episode, and it all works for me (the Crockett/Tubbs parallel storylines reminds me of 'Definitely Miami', except this involves romance instead of witness protection & deadly scams).

Yeah, I liked Maria for Tubbs, even if she was a killer. I agree, she was different with Tubbs, which for me helped make the circumstance heartbreaking.

I felt that was a great moment between Crockett & Castillo: "Give Billy a hug for me". I always believed there was a lot of feelings going through Castillo that he channeled through actions involving his job, so it was cool to see him relate on an emotional & personal level there.

Yeah, Miguel Ferrer as Ramon Pendroza was good times here as well: his character seemed to have a response to everything, but yeah, he should've been paying attention to Maria. "Dimarco's a dead man; I'm going to use his head as an ashtray!". Love that line, and Ramon's suit there as well.

5/5 for me; no out of place awkwardness (charming as it can be): just a solid, straightforward crime/romance episode.

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Watchable, but nothing outstanding.  We cut back and forth between Tubbs' involvement with a crime family and Crockett visiting his son and ex-wife in Atlanta.  The Crockett story is afterschool special-like, but Don Johnson's charm carries it.  The Tubbs investigation is all paint by the numbers stuff, but engrossing enough.  And we do get Bryan Ferry's great "Bete Noire." 

All rather "meh," but at least a mildly good viewing experience.  Perhaps a good entry-level episode for someone who wants a taste of Sonny and Rico's characters.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

:pSorry, but I'm with Jack Gretsky on this episode.  Music was a little more engaged in setting the mood, and that's good (especially since Truman doesn't seem to do "mood"--he just seems to wait for the characters to do something first, then he adds incidental music to them).  I am a latent Ms. Carillo fan, she's great in roles that require a straight-out believable Mexican or South American woman who is surviving what life brings.  Unlike Salma Hayek, we don't get a glimpse of Elpedia's figure much in her movies, so this episode gives a nice 15-second poolside moment.  Aaah, viva Miami.
But once again, there was enough usable material in the story idea, that they could have kept the path of events from being not so predictable for Tubbs and this woman.  Yes, she is a soldier serving someone else's purpose, but they could have teased us with more suspicions and mysteries first, and not just dumped the "scorpion tat" revelation in Tubbs' lap so fast.  This actress is as much fun to watch being wordless and doing things with her hands, as she is when you give her the tons of the predictable "I'm doing this to avenge my mum, dad, cousin, cat, village" dialogue.  Anything Elpedia does or says,... you believe.  Her presentation on screen is THAT straight and native.  Her Mexican accent is very earthy sounding, raw, not trying to be "sexy latina" nor too much "aloof Espana".  If you wanted to marry a latin woman, and have to wake up to ONE voice every morning for the rest of your life, yeah, her voice will suit just fine.  

I am also a latent fan of Belinda.  (Loved her since that corny Man From Atlantis series).  Hands-down her Caroline was PERFECTION as the kind of person Crockett would have married---the two characters go well together in every darn scene, and Ms. Montgomery's "confident smart wife" style is what makes that work.  I would have liked to have traded at least one of the Sonny-and-son scenes for just one more Sonny-and-Caroline scene.  That gal really is the one that men would say "I shouldn't have let her go" about.  

?((It's funny how the show treats the Caitlin marriage and widower event like "let's pretend we never wrote that into the series"...LOL)

Both actresses were used well way too lightly in this episode, to me.  This could have really been another kind of "women's episode", (yes, you're right, kinda like Definitely Miami).  I mean an episode that showcases the strengths that can be valued in a woman:  There's Maria, who you can admire for being coldly committed to the assassination job no matter how warm she might have wanted to be with Tubbs,...and there's Caroline who Sonny should always remember was the only solid honest source of some really good things. 

BUUUT, hey this is a Season-5 episode.  And S5 critically requires that the writer MUST miss the opportunity to make his episode good.  If the writer doesn't miss his opportunities, then he won't be inducted into the famous Season-5 Hall of Champions, right?

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I like this episode quite a bit. The wedding shooting (quite reminiscent of Borrasca but not as brutal) set the tone immediately, S5 style! When I re-watched this a couple of evenings ago, seeing Gina attending the wedding with Rico I thought she would have something more to do, but it was just Tubbs out in the field. By the way, his clothing and style reached never seen before heights of coolness! :clap::tasse_prost:
image.png.8cf78daf7c4c3cdc0df3d7702fd25857.png
image.png.325b649b6231341e8a7d39cce08b7110.png
....did he rob the Metro Dade property house?:)
Nice to see Sonny's family again. For some reason I dig every episode with Belinda Montgomery in it. I think it adds depth to DJ's character making him more relatable as burn out cop. Unlike in "Child's play", this time Sonny took the plane to Atlanta. No Ferrari;(....i guess he didn't want to spend another $100 to fill the Ferrari tank again!:)
We learn Sonny was bullied by an italian guy named 'Vannucci' and his older brother defended him...I think Sonny and his son Billy must have had similar childhood...

Castillo saves the day again in the end taking out the "scorpiones".....I agree it feels like some Venezuelan soap. I liked to see MIguel Ferrero in this show. His brother character Carlos Pendroza was annoying at best...

Finally, i loved the ending with C&T fishing together...Rico at last accepted the invite 5 years later since the events of 'Nobody lives forever' :):):)

image.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Tubbs forced to dress like Prince.

Yeah...the clothes were kinda cool, but pretty out-there, too, lol! :p But, Tubbs seemed to be able to wear them okay for the time, I guess. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah...the clothes were kinda cool, but pretty out-there, too, lol! :p But, Tubbs seemed to be able to wear them okay for the time, I guess. :thumbsup:

they suit him very well!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:43 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Just watched this episode again. This was my latest review from last year...I still stand by it.

But, a few things to reiterate or add...as I said before, love the father & son scenes between Crockett & Billy—very heartfelt & “real”! Their scenes were/are very moving! Not sure what happened to Clayton Barclay Jones...he definitely had potential as an actor, child or not!

But, one thing I also really respect & enjoy with the character of Billy in this episode, is he enjoys & respects classic movies & the messages/stories they convey/tell! How many 12 year olds (nowadays) do we know that can enjoy & even relate to something that actually tells a story & isn’t TikTok & tries to see how many F-bombs they can fit into 1 sentence? Even as a kid I loved older movies as well as current ones (still do!)...I can actually relate to Billy as an adult now!

However, changing subjects—Caroline actually “looked” pregnant in the face. Maybe it was just an amazing job by the makeup & wardrobe people...but Belinda Montgomery looked “puffy” in the face/neck to me.

Also, I’ll never understand why everyone else had these huge, powerful weapons...while 97% of the time Tubbs had this dorky, teeny-weenie 38 Snubnose! ?( It’s like Tubbs stole one of Charlie’s Angels’ guns. :o 

Love this episode...a good one from Season 5! :thumbsup:  (Pics & a couple captions below):

6F607763-B7F5-4B33-AC45-D510A58BADA1.jpeg.bafe51da35cfe58317e14dc424e65b38.jpeg

Freeze, bad guys! I’ll pop you with my pea shooter! :p  (Note: this pic is not actually from this episode...just showing Tubbs with his cap-gun. ;))

A04640C5-4872-4142-AD27-54B074AC6C80.thumb.jpeg.2c9df8d586ee28eea1dafcf4ac2f39a0.jpeg

But...”What About Bob”? :p

F78D7D0C-8644-408E-BE6A-A2D35CD26620.jpeg

F6A706CA-28B6-4B3A-8711-189F0027D0B2.jpeg

66E81252-AEF2-41A0-9259-8565C5488DB8.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Have we mentioned this one yet?:

I guess Moralez’ brother from Trust Fund Pirates recovered from his drug house balcony assault and took up the piano (during Tubbs’ setup at the restaurant with another recurring actor—Mosca’s right-hand man).

Too bad it ended in more violence. :) 

1FD9D351-1694-41F6-B7BC-23E8E5D6CD6B.jpeg

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Have we mentioned this one yet?:

I guess Moralez’ brother from Trust Fund Pirates recovered from his drug house balcony assault and took up the piano (during Tubbs’ setup at the restaurant with another recurring actor—Mosca’s right-hand man).

Too bad it ended in more violence. :) 

1FD9D351-1694-41F6-B7BC-23E8E5D6CD6B.jpeg

That´s Jeff Moldovan, a local actor. He appeared in several episodes (e.g. Golden Triangle, Whatever works, Jack of all trades) and also other movies (in a Bud Spencer movie has playing a Chinese thug). I just saw him last week on Transporter, a movie that was set in Florida as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom said:

That´s Jeff Moldovan, a local actor. He appeared in several episodes (e.g. Golden Triangle, Whatever works, Jack of all trades) and also other movies (in a Bud Spencer movie has playing a Chinese thug). I just saw him last week on Transporter, a movie that was set in Florida as well.

In "Whatever Works" he one of the cops Sonny was talking to in the nightclub before the fight breaks out?

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb RedDragon86:

In "Whatever Works" he one of the cops Sonny was talking to in the nightclub before the fight breaks out?

yes, exactly, he also was the interrogating officer of Sonny´s cousin in Jack of all trades.

Jeff Moldovan was a stuntman and martial arts trainer. He invented a special and simple self defense system for normal people after one of his students was killed. He died in 2013 due to a heart attack while giving a self defense seminar in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great info @Tom. Thanks!

If nothing else, this entire episode is a carnival of actors that have appeared in past episodes, and/or would appear in future episodes. 

• 3 months later...

This track I thought could have easily fit in this episode or most of Season 5 tbh. Not the greatest but let’s be grateful they tried something more than the usual for this 100th episode 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did they film Freefall before Too Much, Too LateLeap of FaithMiracle Man and World of Trouble?

What is the original reason these four episodes are listed after Freefall?

In my country Freefall was the very last episode and the end of Miami Vice.

Did they actually air those four episodes originally after Freefall? Makes absolutely no sense to me. 

26 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

Did they film Freefall before Too Much, Too LateLeap of FaithMiracle Man and World of Trouble?

Did they actually air those four episodes originally after Freefall? Makes absolutely no sense to me. 

I don’t know exactly when each of these episodes were filmed...but, after Freefall was aired as the series “finale” during the traditional May ratings period...the network actually still had 3 more episodes left to contractually air. 

They were aired on NBC & in the show’s time slot...going into June of 1989. But, many did not realize there were more episodes after Freefall...so many times these other 3 episodes (World of Trouble, Miracle Man, & Leap of Faith) are MISTAKENLY thought of or referred to as “lost” episodes...which means they were not originally aired by the network, when in fact they were. 

The only true lost episode was Too Much Too Late...that the network originally refused to air. It didn’t air until January of 1990, on the USA network, which was airing Miami Vice reruns at that time. But, it was still considered part of the reruns...as the show had ended production over a year prior. MV ran from September 1984 to June 1989.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, apocalypse said:

Here https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/forum/163-season-5/  you can find all the filming dates. Freefall was actually filmed last. "Drehtermin" was April 3th to 27th 1989.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glades said:

Here https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/forum/163-season-5/  you can find all the filming dates. Freefall was actually filmed last. "Drehtermin" was April 3th to 27th 1989.

They probably filmed them in a certain order, but for whatever reason/s they couldn’t get all the episodes aired before Freefall...so the 3 leftover had to be aired afterwards.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

They probably filmed them in a certain order, but for whatever reason/s they couldn’t get all the episodes aired before Freefall...so the 3 leftover had to be aired afterwards.

The reason is simple. The 88/89 season airings started very late, ie. in November instead of September. Thus they could not air all episodes until end of May which was the last airing slot of a TV season at that time. First they planned to air Freefall in the fall of 89, in correct order as last episode but that did not give enough time to finish the other episodes before June either. So, in the end they decided to air Freefall in late May89 and to show the remaining four episodes filmed before Freefall after that.

Fans called this episodes as lost, which is not correct (only for Too much, too late that was never aired by NBC but only in USA syndication in January 1990), but I assume close to reality as very few people might have watched in June and July when viewers usually do something else on summer Friday night than watching TV?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

The reason is simple. The 88/89 season airings started very late, ie. in November instead of September. Thus they could not air all episodes until end of May which was the last airing slot of a TV season at that time. First they planned to air Freefall in the fall of 89, in correct order as last episode but that did not give enough time to finish the other episodes before June either. So, in the end they decided to air Freefall in late May89 and to show the remaining four episodes filmed before Freefall after that.

Fans called this episodes as lost, which is not correct (only for Too much, too late that was never aired by NBC but only in USA syndication in January 1990), but I assume close to reality as very few people might have watched in June and July when viewers usually do something else on summer Friday night than watching TV?

I figured it was something like that...not enough time to air all the episodes before Freefall. So, the rest had to be aired afterwards.

But, yes, that’s correct that since Freefall had been aired as the finale, a lot of viewers didn’t realize more episodes would still air yet...so they think there were 4 “lost” episodes, when in reality there was only 1. 

However, back then networks usually aired reruns during the summer hiatus, giving fans who maybe hadn’t seen episodes during the regular season run, a chance to catch up. So, in one sense you’d think that more fans would have seen the “rogue 3 episodes” when they originally aired.

But, the show had been officially canceled by then, and the supposed “finale” already aired, so it probably makes more sense they probably wouldn’t be expecting or looking for reruns anymore, let alone more new episodes.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Good days all vice’s fans what is the name of the music of Tim truman in the to have and to hold when tubbs make a drugs deal with ramon pendrosa in the hangar the words in the music is your a like bombe next scene he have an explosion and tubbs jump for his lives someone can respond me ?????

vor 2 Stunden schrieb frederic wets:

Good days all vice’s fans what is the name of the music of Tim truman in the to have and to hold when tubbs make a drugs deal with ramon pendrosa in the hangar the words in the music is your a like bombe next scene he have an explosion and tubbs jump for his lives someone can respond me ?????

We don’t know the name of this score of course at its unpublished but you mean this one (soundtrack only with speaking removed by a member perfectly)

Edited by Tom