As promised

Jerry B.

For the ones who have followed the story, here they are, folks. For the ones who haven't, here it is: in 1989 I was asked to score a soundtrack for a documentary about the underwater life (which never came out). I had the time to work on some ideas to submit to the prodution. They were heavily MV inspired, that's why I thought to recover and share them with you here.

I found time enough to convert my old 1989 sequences (thanks God I had a .mid copy of some) and remix them just for you guys.

Remember they are not finished or produced songs, but just little cues, intended to show the production how the score would sound like. The sequences were meant to be played by hardware instruments I no longer own, so the result is a bit different. I did my best to keep the stuff as original as I could, imperfections included. I also kept myself from changing the titles to suit the MV universe (like Cocaine Blues or Ocean Drive Chase :-). I wanted to bring you the original feeling true to itself.

You will find that the sound is quite different from today's "New Retro", cause the inspiration was not the synth-pop, but the work of venturous composers like James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri AND Jan Hammer. You'll say it's hugely derivative from this last one, and it's true. At that time I wanted to capture the essence of the music of MV and make it mine. I was young.

I no longer write or produce stuff like that, but for me has been fun to recover and share this little piece of my restless, positive, adrenaline-loaded youth with you guys. Thanks for giving me the right excuse ;-).

Enjoy

JB

Edited by Jerry B.
  • Like 11

Love MV inspired music, have always been a big soundtracks fan.  I really like how you strung those familiar cues together in Opening Titles.  Familiar, yet wholly original!  The End Credits reminded me of contemporary jazz great, Dave Grusin.  Very good work!

• Like 1

That was damn good Jerry, I really loved the Opening Title theme, very Crockett's Theme.

• Like 1

It seems like you were ahead of your time in paying homage to the Jan Hammer sound. Overall, I think there are interesting melodic ideas here that warrant further exploration, particularly that of the steel guitar in 'Transparency'. Also, I like your drum tracks -- got to love those LinnDrum congas! Thanks for sharing.

I'm very impressed! Very impressed indeed! I was not expecting that. Sooo glad you shared with us, and thanks for sharing a bit more of yourself. We're enjoying every minute of it. Were into the same things your into. You found a site that is your audience.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

Very Nice!  I enjoyed it a lot.  The little riff at 1:25-1:30 of the Opening Titles reminded me of The Rockford Files theme.  Thanks!

Edited by pahonu

• Administrators

These are amazing! Thanks for sharing. The most Jan Hammer thing I've heard which isn't from the man himself.

The first one is very reminiscent of Crockett's Return.  :thumbsup:

Jerry I have enjoyed that music so very much.
Listen to it - jumping with the sound on a pink cloud 9 and feeling brought back to the times I definitely liked much

but also I easily can connect to current music styles.

So... YOU are able to create that ... what caressed my ears as well?
OH BOY ! 
You did it again to amaze and catch me, Jerry.

The Jan Hammer similarities I am allowed to listen to are not Jan - THAT IS JERRY !!!   :thumbsup:   :fireworks: 

Thank you with the bottom of my heart !!!

W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L.L.Y !!!!  :happy:

My heartfelt thanks you all, guys. Really. I didn't expect such a feedback.

TheMann, thanks for mentioning Dave Grusin. He's been a model for me and I grew up with his records & soundtracks.

James, I think anybody attempting to recreate that sound would deal with the devil for a comment like that. Thank you.

Touch of Class, you spotted what is maybe my favorite track, or better said, the most Hammer-ish one to me. I've always been fascinated by the way Jan is able to build arpeggiato steel guitar parts, not easy to decode because of the rhythm combination of left & right hand.

Blue, once again you were able to see me beyond similarities. We already talked about this, didn't we ? ;-) I'm pleasantly surprised to see you can connect that with current music styles, I'm not able to do the same. I'm glad you danced on cloud nine listening to these tracks ;-)

COOP, thanks a lot for your comment. You say I have found my audience, and I'm sure about it. You know, producing music in 21st century means also staying away from all these sounds. If I'm asked to do a soundtrack for a contemporary movie I have to write something totally different. But the warmth I received by sharing with you this little part of my past, makes me willing to record more stuff like that. Who knows?

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 2

Jerry, if Jan Hammer refuses, You will be the right person to make score for Miami Vice Reboot, because you captured Vice vibe just like him :) You are Genius, Jerry! 

• Like 1

Love your music updates you post Crockett! the rips from the episodes are so good. :)  :D  :done:  :fireworks:  :radio:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Jerry, if Jan Hammer refuses, You will be the right person to make score for Miami Vice Reboot, because you captured Vice vibe just like him :) You are Genius, Jerry! 

Those were my thoughts exactly, when the reboot happens (notice I didn't say "if" because it will, it's just a matter of time), I hope you can get in touch with the right people and make it happen, those were excellent!

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 1

Crockett, mvnyc, what am I supposed to say after your comment? ;-)

Thank so much, guys. As said, if there are people to share this stuff with - well, it's you.

I can see it definitely worth the effort, and I don't exclude to recover more tracks and maybe writing new stuff.

Let's see ;-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I immediately thought of Crockett's Theme in the first track, but it then showed your own originality. All were interesting, because there was a melody to enjoy along with the MV beat. I would take Crockett's suggestion & try for the music for a Reboot of Miami Vice because, even DJ said he was thinking about one. Good luck with this.

• Like 3

Thank you, Tony D., you're too kind.

I have a couple of more of those tracks. They're at a rougher stage compared to the other ones, I stopped working on them when they told me the movie was not going to be released.

Time has come to finish my job ;-)

• Like 2

You may have some competition to compose new music for a Miami Vice Reboot.........Jan Hammer, and also a couple people on this site who also compose some nice, vice music. Maybe you guys can pool your efforts?  Then share the profits!  :thumbsup:

Tony D., thanks for your kind words. I'm flattered you named Jan as one of my competitors, I'm sure he would not agree LOL

Actually, I don't think I have competitors since I no longer write stuff like that. It's been great fun and pleasure to share this old stuff of mine with the most dedicated and committed audience in the world. You brought me to take the dust off from old pieces of equipment, and recreate sounds of gear I no longer have. Those old unborn cues got one chance to live, and I had a lot of requests here to post more stuff like that. I'm not sure I'll able to do, my schedule is tight, but I'll do my best to.

If there's an audience who deserve this, well, it's you guys.

And - well - if Universal calls, who knows? ;-)))

• Like 1

Little Miss Dangerous, thanks for your kind words. Appreciated ;-)

Touch Of Class, as far as I can remember I surely used a DX7 (Mark I), a Korg Poly800, a Roland D110 and a Oberheim DMX. That's more or less what I had in the studio at the end of the 80s.

DX7 was used mostly for steel guitar, jazz guitar, overdriven guitar, metalic, chimey and bell-ish sounds. It's one of the trademarks of the music of Miami Vice.

I also had a Boss distortion pedal I used for filtering my lead solos when I wanted to imitate the sound of MV. For a while I had a borrowed Rockman too, highly recommended for anyone into Jan sound.

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1