MIAMI VICE SUNGLASSES MAKES, STYLES, & IDENTIFICATIONS

COOPER&BURNETT

8 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

You’re right. They look black in some scenes, but they are all the same brown pair like the ones in my hand in the photo above. The brown color is hard to find, and they are usually about $200. Sometimes they come up for less. I will help you keep an eye out. :thumbsup:

mine look black in some photos too. 

3E6472DA-2C59-4DD7-914F-D621666306F0.jpeg

B7482E63-DCF9-4DE6-BC67-FD478A88F161.jpeg

42CD8F79-8565-4B80-8E24-C82ED1CDA5AE.jpeg

These are the closest I could find. Oh well, at least I have the right Revos lol. Those are the ones I really wanted...love the Burnett Episodes.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, VegasVice5150 said:

These are the closest I could find. Oh well, at least I have the right Revos lol. Those are the ones I really wanted...love the Burnett Episodes.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Those are the green/gray with purple logo. 

Here’s the rundown of all the 5512 models:

- black frames with black temples - yellow stripes and yellow logo. No black temples ever on MV, but made famous by Kanye West. 

- tortoise frames with gold temples - no gold temples ever on MV, but really cool!

- green/gray frames with silver temples and purple logo - never on MV, but closest to the ones that were  

- black frames with silver temples and blue logo - only on barrista in “Killshot” in MV

- brown frames with silver temples - worn by DJ and PMT in various season 1 episodes. 

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I have at least one pair of all these. I’m kind of the music guy here, but I inadvertently became the 5512 guy somehow. I guess they are the only MV shades I like with my big head. :) 

I also have the Persols from season 3, but I rarely wear them because they are so rare/sought after. The Carreras are more for “me”. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hey old pals!

Just thought I'd share my vintage tortoiseshell B&L 5022s.

Boy, do I miss this community or what? Summer is just around the corner so I might be coming back more :D

5022 (1).jpg

5022 (2).jpg

5022 (3).jpg

5022 (4).jpg

5022 (5).jpg

5022 (6).jpg

5022 (7).jpg

5022 (8).jpg

5022 (9).jpg

5022 (10).jpg

5022 (11).jpg

5022 (12).jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 9:31 PM, Dadrian said:

Those are the green/gray with purple logo. 

Here’s the rundown of all the 5512 models:

- black frames with black temples - yellow stripes and yellow logo. No black temples ever on MV, but made famous by Kanye West. 

- tortoise frames with gold temples - no gold temples ever on MV, but really cool!

- green/gray frames with silver temples and purple logo - never on MV, but closest to the ones that were  

- black frames with silver temples and blue logo - only on barrista in “Killshot” in MV

- brown frames with silver temples - worn by DJ and PMT in various season 1 episodes. 

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I have at least one pair of all these. I’m kind of the music guy here, but I inadvertently became the 5512 guy somehow. I guess they are the only MV shades I like with my big head. :) 

I also have the Persols from season 3, but I rarely wear them because they are so rare/sought after. The Carreras are more for “me”. :thumbsup:

Edited by VegasVice5150
  • Confused 1

• 10 months later...
23 minutes ago, MrSwinderman said:

So in Season 4/5, Crockett just wears a black pair of 5022s when he's not sporting the Revo's correct? 

Correct. He only wears the Revo shades during the three Burnett episodes. 

Thanks @Dadrian! I just recently got a pair of the season 1/2 5022s but I need to get them adjusted as they are just a bit too cat-eye. I'm looking to get them fitted like Crockett's are and the modern day 5022s.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2009 at 1:12 PM, COOPER&BURNETT said:

@COOPER&BURNETT Is your model the correct colors from the show? I'm trying to nail down the correct color of the lens and I'm struggling a bit. 

9 hours ago, MrSwinderman said:

@COOPER&BURNETT Is your model the correct colors from the show? I'm trying to nail down the correct color of the lens and I'm struggling a bit. 

Coop doesn’t visit here anymore, but there’s a Facebook group about MV on which he’s pretty active.

As for your question about the Persols, there are some shots where the original brownish lenses are used, some with some charcoal lenses, and even some with flat lenses to keep the crew members from being in the reflection. Idk if they had multiple pairs or just lots of lenses they swapped out, but I’m guessing the former. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Coop doesn’t visit here anymore, but there’s a Facebook group about MV on which he’s pretty active.

As for your question about the Persols, there are some shots where the original brownish lenses are used, some with some charcoal lenses, and even some with flat lenses to keep the crew members from being in the reflection. Idk if they had multiple pairs or just lots of lenses they swapped out, but I’m guessing the former. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Damn! Bummer about Coop. That does help. It seems like a lot of the time they used the charcoals from what I've seen. I pulled some HD shots and reached out to Persol directly. I'll see what they have to say on it. Can't wait to share the finished product.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrSwinderman said:

Damn! Bummer about Coop. That does help. It seems like a lot of the time they used the charcoals from what I've seen. I pulled some HD shots and reached out to Persol directly. I'll see what they have to say on it. Can't wait to share the finished product.

Cool! Let us know if you get a response!

I kept the original brown glass lenses for mine, but I had a local optician make a plastic charcoal set. He charged $80 to make and install them. So my original lenses will remain as new indefinitely (in a case), and the replacements look more like the shots we see more often in the show—win/win!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Cool! Let us know if you get a response!

I kept the original brown glass lenses for mine, but I had a local optician make a plastic charcoal set. He charged $80 to make and install them. So my original lenses will remain as new indefinitely (in a case), and the replacements look more like the shots we see more often in the show—win/win!

Nice man! I've done a lot of work with Wink Optics out in California so I'm going to send the pair I have to be refurbished and to have new lens made. Pretty excited I've wanted a pair of the Persol's since I was a kid.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, sunglasses, even more than jewelry, MUST fit your personal features in order to be cool on you.  
I feel those Persols that Crockett wears are the most "true-to-Crockett's attitude", and "Crockett-right" sunglasses in the entire series (better than the Wayfarers or Carreras any time), but that's because they frame out the lean, triangular, "hungry, attentive, street-fast perpetrator" face that was Don Johnson's face through Season 1.  If Don had had maybe 5 ounces more cuddly baby fat on his cheeks, the Persols wouldn't have looked as cool, and the Carreras might have been the winners.  
"Cool" (the cool that makes onlookers attracted to your face, which in turn makes you fully confident wearing that same pair of glasses all the time), has to come from framing the curves of YOUR face, not Don's.  
If I tried Crockett's Persols, they wouldn't compliment my face.  My ears sit close, and so thick stems just look artificial on the sides of my head.  Black lenses hide my eyeballs, and that's great, but dark brown glass or even slightly mirrored brown attracts my friends nearer, and doesn't scare them away by looking to threatening (cuz, yes, I also have a lean triangular face like dangerous-boy Crockett).  
So I could dream of black Persols,... but black finish wire-stemmed Nikons with mirrored brown-out lenses is nearly the only shape that comes out "cool" on my face.

Are you sure his Persols fit your personal features the way they fit Don Johnson's featueres?  
...Interestingly, if "retired looking" Mr Johnson put on those 1980's Persols today, would he look like The Easter Bunny without the long ears?  Not his fault, just the evolved shape of his face?

Keep in mind, sunglasses, even more than jewelry, MUST fit your personal features in order to be cool on you.  
I feel those Persols that Crockett wears are the most "true-to-Crockett's attitude", and "Crockett-right" sunglasses in the entire series (better than the Wayfarers or Carreras any time), but that's because they frame out the lean, triangular, "hungry, attentive, street-fast perpetrator" face that was Don Johnson's face through Season 1.  If Don had had maybe 5 ounces more cuddly baby fat on his cheeks, the Persols wouldn't have looked as cool, and the Carreras might have been the winners.  
"Cool" (the cool that makes onlookers attracted to your face, which in turn makes you fully confident wearing that same pair of glasses all the time), has to come from framing the curves of YOUR face, not Don's.  
If I tried Crockett's Persols, they wouldn't compliment my face.  My ears sit close, and so thick stems just look artificial on the sides of my head.  Black lenses hide my eyeballs, and that's great, but dark brown glass or even slightly mirrored brown attracts my friends nearer, and doesn't scare them away by looking to threatening (cuz, yes, I also have a lean triangular face like dangerous-boy Crockett).  
So I could dream of black Persols,... but black finish wire-stemmed Nikons with mirrored brown-out lenses is nearly the only shape that comes out "cool" on my face.  I can't bring myself to own his sunglasses as just a table top fixture that doesn't look good on MY humble face. ....I guess that makes me a poor example of a true fan.

Are you sure his Persols fit your personal features the way they fit Don Johnson's?  
...Interestingly, if "retired looking" Mr Johnson put on Persols today, would he look like The Easter Bunny without the long ears?  Not his fault, just the evolved shape of his face?

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, Augusta said:

So I could dream of black Persols,... but black finish wire-stemmed Nikons with mirrored brown-out lenses is nearly the only shape that comes out "cool" on my face.  I can't bring myself to own his sunglasses as just a table top fixture that doesn't look good on MY humble face. ....I guess that makes me a poor example of a true fan.

Are you sure his Persols fit your personal features the way they fit Don Johnson's?  
...Interestingly, if "retired looking" Mr Johnson put on Persols today, would he look like The Easter Bunny without the long ears?  Not his fault, just the evolved shape of his face?

In my opinion the G15 green lenses like the old Wayfarers have are the best, look the most classic and timeless. Just my opinion, I alternate between my black and tortoiseshell BL5022s. My head shape is also quite oblong like Crockett's so they work well. In my opinion Wayfarers strike just the right balance between rounded and angular that just about anyone can wear them. People with round faces are better off with more angular shades like the Persols. Carreras are definitely a statement, and it seems like it's almost a requirement to be have Italian heritage to wear them, lol.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Augusta said:

I'm not too worried about pulling off the Persol's myself. I can pull off 714's (another classic Persol style) which are far more rounded. But you are totally right - sunglasses suit everyone differently. It's all about complimenting your facial features!  

On 3/3/2022 at 9:24 PM, Dadrian said:

Correct. He only wears the Revo shades during the three Burnett episodes. 

I know this is an age old feud here on the forum, but how do we know that Crockett wore the 5022s in Season 4/5? I know they are for sure RayBans again but they do look a lot larger on his face almost like the 5024s. Not trying to start an argument on that topic again haha - I just started watching Season 4 for the first time and definitely noticed how different they looked than the havana 5022s from Season 1 & 2. 

Edited by MrSwinderman
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

If anyone is interested, Indy Magnoli makes some great gear from Movies etc and he does customs too. He has a range of sunglasses and is worth checking out. For example these glasses are 69USD

Elwood Sunglasses by Magnoli Clothiers

Or these for 80USD

JFK Sunglasses by Magnoli Clothiers

He does custom glasses but they cost around 375USD.

Edited by Gangrel
add another link.