Does this work?

James

• Administrators

I don't normally wear shirts with a t-shirt underneath, usually I wear it like a shirt with the top buttons undone to show off my chest hairs (lol)

But I got some inspirations from the end scenes of Brothers Keeper where Crockett is wearing a shirt with a t-shirt underneath, and this jacket from the Golden Triangle and other episodes which is thin, made from shirt-like material.

vlcsnap-2014-12-09-23h12m22s207.png

So, I thought, why not just wear a white shirt? (looks a bit grey in this photo, weird lighting)

20150527_125312.jpg

• Like 2

yeah that works, main thing to keep in mind is the skin tone, its one of the things I think most people discount from the crockett look, is that the looks sometimes worked just based on how it reacted to that contrast.

its one of those funny things about color contrasts that most people discount, and its part of the reason why I am so particular about it.

• Administrators

Yeah, and my skin is pretty dark/tanned colour due to my Mediterranean roots. I like wearing light coloured clothes though, it makes me look more tanned. :)

Hey James, I'd say it works well!

Talking about contrast, yes tanning is a must for a real Vice look. I would also try with a deeper blue t-shirt and a whiter, collarless shirt.

Back in the days, once in a while I used to wear a henley with a shirt on and it's not bad. The key is the color scheme/palette, skin included ;-)

Edited by Jerry Beck

• Administrators

Hey James, I'd say it works well!

Talking about contrast, yes tanning is a must for a real Vice look. I would also try with a deeper blue t-shirt and a whiter, collarless shirt.

Back in the days, once in a while I used to wear a henley with a shirt on and it's not bad. The key is the color scheme/palette, skin included ;-)

I don't have any collarless shirts, haven't really thought about buying one. I might now though, if I can find one. :)

Hmm... Interesting... I might try it with a henley. I feel it might be too many buttons though?

Looking good pal! I like it a lot, that's usually what I do with the look.

It's the only way to do it without looking conspicuous. :)

Yes, James, it could be a bit too many buttons, but  - as far as I can remember, it wasn't a bad thing. It's all down to personal taste and also the feel of the moment.

I felt natural wearing MV style back then, I couldn't now. I just like to "cite" that style, once in a while. The pics I shoot for this forum are an exception, of course ;-)

Nice espadrilles.

PS Your watch looks like a two-tone Daytona ;-)

• Administrators

Yes, James, it could be a bit too many buttons, but  - as far as I can remember, it wasn't a bad thing. It's all down to personal taste and also the feel of the moment.

I felt natural wearing MV style back then, I couldn't now. I just like to "cite" that style, once in a while. The pics I shoot for this forum are an exception, of course ;-)

Nice espadrilles.

PS Your watch looks like a two-tone Daytona ;-)

Thanks, I got them from Target here in Australia. I need to get a new pair, these ones have lost their shape and are getting dirty. 

And the watch is a fake Rolex I got from Thailand a few years ago.

I've tried it with the blazer and it just seems to stand out and you get looks from people, it's pretty downheartening.

It looks pretty cool James.  :cool:  :thumbsup:

By the way, are you related to COOP........you don't have a head, either!  :D

• Administrators

Haha, no I'm just camera shy. :)

• Like 1

I've tried it with the blazer and it just seems to stand out and you get looks from people, it's pretty downheartening.

Don't worry, you have my support on this.

Why care if you sometimes get weird looks from some narrow minded people?

If you're comfortable with it and think it looks cool - go for it.

Edited by Markwey
  • Like 1

It's the only way to do it without looking conspicuous. :)

Dead on. I too very much want to dress Vice but as I usually dress in military style (sometimes downright military as I shop in a surplus, somethimes repro) cargo pants, a field shirt or a hoodie and with a M65 jacket I'm afraid people at work etc. start to give me strange looks if I suddenly start wearing a white suit and pastel shirts.

But the combo like you showed there James, was actually my style in the 90ies and I have many collared dress-shirts (though many won't fit me anymore I'm sure, but some will). And anyway, that's a good gateway to start using blazers :D And as I'm pushing 40 and working in IT, maybe a blazer wouldn't be so much of a stretch..... After all, I did wear suits with a tie back when I was 25ish and working IT in a bank, so I'm quite comfortable in them.

Edited by JDe75

• Administrators

Dead on. I too very much want to dress Vice but as I usually dress in military style (sometimes downright military as I shop in a surplus, somethimes repro) cargo pants, a field shirt or a hoodie and with a M65 jacket I'm afraid people at work etc. start to give me strange looks if I suddenly start wearing a white suit and pastel shirts.

But the combo like you showed there James, was actually my style in the 90ies and I have many collared dress-shirts (though many won't fit me anymore I'm sure, but some will). And anyway, that's a good gateway to start using blazers :D And as I'm pushing 40 and working in IT, maybe a blazer wouldn't be so much of a stretch..... After all, I did wear suits with a tie back when I was 25ish and working IT in a bank, so I'm quite comfortable in them.

IT is a white collar job, so I think you could pull it off. 

Cool look!  :thumbsup:  Make sure you reserve it for the warmer months. The fabrics and color scheme don't work well in the fall or winter.

• Administrators

Cool look!  :thumbsup:  Make sure you reserve it for the warmer months. The fabrics and color scheme don't work well in the fall or winter.

Yeah true. Winter is usually when I break out the leather jackets. :)

• Like 1

Yeah true. Winter is usually when I break out the leather jackets. :)

So you jump from Season 1 and 2 in Summer, and then in Winter it's total Season 5 ;):)

Just like me.

Edited by Detective_Crockett

• Administrators

So you jump from Season 1 and 2 in Summer, and then in Winter it's total Season 5 ;):)

Just like me.

Pretty much :)

Nah, winter is more 50s greaser time. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

IT is a white collar job, so I think you could pull it off. 

Actually that's a misconception, IT is not entirely a white-collar -job. Sure the consultants, project managers and sales personnel wear suits, but not us - Developers (programmers and infra). Sure for some customer meetings we dress up nicer, but for a long time our project manager didn't even suit up so I didn't wanna stand up by dressing better than him.

But anyway, maybe a blazer/suit jacket wouldn't be too much of a stretch.... 

I think this look works pretty well, James! :thumbsup:

As far as being conspicuous is concerned, I actually like the bonus attention I get when wearing my white blazer and/or my off-white pants or, best of all, my full white suit when eating out or hanging with a couple of friends. It's true that many men will look at me in a funny way, but ladies do actually look genuinely fascinated with these colors, probably because of how rarely they are worn by men in general, and yet how well they suit certain people. 'Haters gonna hate' is what my younger brother would say in this case and I think he'd be right. :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As far as being conspicuous is concerned, I actually like the bonus attention I get when wearing my white blazer and/or my off-white pants or, best of all, my full white suit when eating out or hanging with a couple of friends. It's true that many men will look at me in a funny way, but ladies do actually look genuinely fascinated with these colors, probably because of how rarely they are worn by men in general, and yet how well they suit certain people. 'Haters gonna hate' is what my younger brother would say in this case and I think he'd be right. :-)

I'm in this weird place where as much as I wanna rock the season 1-2 style, i simply can't commit to the lower half lol. The white pants with slip-on shoes is too much for me. Though I'll admit, I think as time passes I'm getting closer. Case in point, last weekend I went out to the city to see Bill Burr do a stand up special at MSG. I knew for the top half I'd be wearing my off-white blazer (more tan or very light brown-ish) with orange/salmon button down (i refuse to wear t-shirts with blazers as well. Figure if I at least wear collared shirts with the same pastel colors, I still get the idea across). Now for the bottom half I normally do blue jeans and black dress shoes. But this time? Khakis and brown dress shoes. So...progress? lol.

• Administrators

When I first saw the pic without reading I "assumed" it was COOP! :-)

• 1 year later...

James that look works for sure! I wear Henleys w/ a stylish button up shirt (never buttoned though) all the time. I use the button up shirt to cover my 45. I carry in a MV style shoulder holster. To keep looking like MV too much I wear boat shoes but the idea is still there. Don't think I could bring myself to wear a blazer. The button up shirt is a good trade off. I use more patterned button up shirts (something like the looks of  Crockett's blazers).