Vice's second season gets slammed in Rolling Stone

Lar

I stumbled across a small treasure trove of old magazines at a local thrift shop today. Lots of old Rolling Stone, Time, and People mags, from the early/mid-70's to the early-90's. I hoped against hope the 1975 Time with Springsteen on the cover would be there, but alas, no such luck. I didn't buy every mag there, but I got the ones that stood out to me most (I'll probably go back and buy some more tomorrow).Anyway, the March 27th, 1986 Rolling Stone (with Bruce Willis on the cover) featured, much to my surprise, an article on Miami Vice's 2nd season. MV was the hottest thing on TV at the time, and yet, RS positively slammed it. Here's that article.I really hope this hasn't been posted before, because I have to say, these RS mags are a pain to scan. Seriously, I like RS, but I'm really glad they recently ditched the oversized issues in favor of a regular magazine size. Anyway, here goes (sorry the print is a little small, should still be readable):Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

AWESOME FIND!!NEVER SEEN THIS PHOTO!I've seen variants of it with MICHAEL MANN, but NOT with DON!WHAT....A....FIND LAR!!!

AWESOME FIND!!NEVER SEEN THIS PHOTO!I've seen variants of it with MICHAEL MANN' date=' but NOT with DON!WHAT....A....FIND LAR!!![/quote']Thank you, C&B. My jaw about dropped when I found it!

What was "PHILL THE SHILL" called in the article?Also, I like how the person who wrote the article is named, "ELVIS".

• Administrators

"The Prodigal Son" is one of my all time favorites. Then again, who ever said that people who review movies and TV know what they're talking about?!

"The Prodigal Son" is one of my all time favorites. Then again' date=' who ever said that people who review movies and TV know what they're talking about?![/quote']They don't know what they're talking about, remember, Movie and TV Critics are not like normal human beings, they're the type that go on about psychobabble about Psycho. (a young man with a mother fixation kills people who get too close, simple as that!) Especially Elvis Mitchell. (what does he know about Miami Vice? He know interviews people for Turner Classic Movies!)

Thanks for the awesome article Lar!, another nice addition to this site. The Prodigal Son was one of my favs too. Yeah an interviewer fot TCM,oh yeah he's an expert! :rolleyes: He obviously knows nothing!

You know what's an irony? I got an old issue of Rolling Stones with Trent Reznor and David Lynch on the cover and framed it and put it on my wall... which is painted with pink and blue colors from Miami Vice!

What was "PHILL THE SHILL" called in the article?

"Phil The Spiv". I've read that elsewhere, too. I forget the exact meaning, but I believe it was in reference to something.I find it humourous that as early as S2 people were saying the show had lost "it". While I find S1 superior to S2, S2 was plenty strong, and I'd say S3 was as well. Oh well.

I believe the series started a little slow, built up all throughout S1, and exploded during summer reruns. I could be wrong. I've even heard it was almost cancelled, but I find that hard to believe.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed! I bought another, even bigger, stack of old mags from the thrift today, and there's some MV-era ones in there; With any luck, we might get another cool vintage article!

I pray there are more articles.MV did get popular during summer re-runs (where I discovered it too), and the ratings were at it's highest point in season 2 as far as first run MV shows go.

Maybe at the time, it was an anti-climax to have the much anticipated Miami Vice return for a second season, but then be set in NY.People probably wanted MIAMI in Miami Vice!

"Phil The Spiv". I've read that elsewhere' date=' too. I forget the exact meaning, but I believe it was in reference to something.I find it humourous that as early as S2 people were saying the show had lost "it". While I find S1 superior to S2, S2 was plenty strong, and I'd say S3 was as well. Oh well.[/quote']From Wikipedia:Spiv is a British word for a particular kind of petty criminal, who deals in stolen goods or fraudulent sales, especially a well-dressed man offering goods at bargain prices.

From Wikipedia:Spiv is a British word for a particular kind of petty criminal' date=' who deals in stolen goods or fraudulent sales, especially a well-dressed man offering goods at bargain prices.[/quote']LOL, it definitely fits!Unfortunately, I haven't found more articles, though I did come up with a handful of cool ads. I may have to go back for a third go-round!

From Wikipedia:Spiv is a British word for a particular kind of petty criminal' date=' who deals in stolen goods or fraudulent sales, especially a well-dressed man offering goods at bargain prices.[/quote']Phil the Spiv.Wonder if this was SUPPOSED to be the working title before PHIL THE SHILL.

Guest neworder

Very interesting article there.I somewhat agree, season 2 is a lot of style very little substance and eps like Definately Miami and Trust Fund Pirates fill that definition perfectlyStill my favourite season because of the style, who needs substance anyway??? lol having said that good call with S3 being more substantial on stories cos another season of heaps of style may have got boring. I think S3 is a strong season, ruined because they put it up against Dallas and ruined by the awful string of episodes at the end. First half of the season i might add is one of the strongest sections of Vice.

You know, I can agree to a point, too. While S2 isn't nearly as bad as the article makes it out to be, as far as stories go, I've found that S1 is far, far stronger. I can see why some might have been disappointed. Just goes to show how groundbreaking and genuinely exceptional MV was in that first year; people had high expectations.S2 as high on style, but it had substance, as well. "Out Where The Buses Don't Run" is ample proof of that, IMO.

I've always been clear when I said that I like the MV seasons in the order of broadcast. I liked season one the best, season 2 the second best, season three third best and so on.For me personally, yes, I love a good story, but I was more mesmerized, and transfixed to how it looked, the clothes, the cars, they style, the colors, and if it had a good story, all the better!That's just me, and one man's opinion. There is no right or wrong. Everyone enjoyes MIAMI VICE in thier own way.

Season 1 + 2 are the seasons I like the most, but it's an interesting article to read.I wonder what the television critic Elvis would have written if the article was about season 5...