Did Miami Vice ever include 80s Latin Pop or Freestyle in their episodes?

Vice Immersion

I'm currently viewing the first few episodes of Season 4, and one thing that struck me after watching the series so far is that there doesn't seem to be any popular Latin Pop or Latin Freestyle songs in the series, particularly artists such as Gloria Estefan, Exposé, Stevie B, and Company B who first started out in Miami, Florida and had mainstream success!

While I understand that the music had to reflect the darker toned episodes, and that most of the Latin Pop and Latin Freestyle songs were upbeat, I just find it a bit surprising that the series didn't highlight a little bit of that aspect of Miami after showcasing so much of the city itself.  It could have been used in club scenes to reflect more of Miami's nightlife.  Oh well...

Hmmm....

While on that topic, it does make one to wonder if Miami Vice could have indirectly "encouraged" Latin music to the mainstream since in glamorized the city and its culture.

No, not any of the popular Latin music was used. VICE never used music because of name or artist, they always used what fitted the scene. But infact several real cubano feel stuff that is not in the charts but you really can hear on the streets just as Little Havana were used, liked Amor Amor, Fernando Villalona, Papo Cadena and Billie Willie & Bachiche.

• Like 2

• Administrators

There were a handful of Latin salsa songs used, in cafe's and such, and Little Havana like Tom said.

There's also this, if it counts...

• 1 year later...

it just occured to me a couple weeks ago, how did they never use Gloria and Miami Sound Machine? they used cuban music early on in the show. really odd they didn't ....

DeBarge's "Rhythm of the Night" (in "Bought & Paid For") seemed to me like it had a Latin sound.  I probably thought it was Miami Sound Machine at one point in time.  But DeBarge was a Motown group.

• 2 weeks later...

Gypsy Kings Inspiration in the "World of Trouble" episode. They have many great songs, but hadn't heard this one before and was surprised to hear it on Miami Vice.   

On June 7, 2015 at 7:41 AM, James said:

There's also this, if it counts...

The Latin cover band (Mirage?) who did this song and "All Night Long" in the pilot did a great job on both. Covering songs is hard :) 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The Latin cover band (Mirage?) who did this song and "All Night Long" in the pilot did a great job on both. Covering songs is hard :) 

Yeah, they sounded almost identical to the originals. You wouldn't notice if you hadn't heard the originals in a while. Also the cover of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was good, don't know if they did that one too? 

On the subject of Latin songs, not many people know this, I think was the first person to find it, but here's the song playing when they meet Trini DeSoto.

I might make it my mission during my next watch-though to name all of the Latin songs. :p

7 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, they sounded almost identical to the originals. You wouldn't notice if you hadn't heard the originals in a while. Also the cover of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was good, don't know if they did that one too? 

On the subject of Latin songs, not many people know this, I think was the first person to find it, but here's the song playing when they meet Trini DeSoto.

I might make it my mission during my next watch-though to name all of the Latin songs. :p

Great tune !

• 2 weeks later...

Was Gloria Estafan ever used on the show?I mean, her band was originally called "Miami Sound Machine" FCOL, lol.

Edited by TylerDurden389

I don't see her credited on the soundtrack listing for the series, which is pretty surprising to me. I still have one of her vinyl LPs around here somewhere.

I did find that her husband Emilio wrote music for the 'cough' MV movie released in 2006.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett