Crime Story

Tommy Vercetti

The two seasons of Crime Story are now on youtube. I started with the second season of the show because the Vegas setting appealed to me more than Chicago. I'm up to episode 12 and my reaction to the show so far is...meh. It's OK, average, middling. Far from spectacular. In terms of sheer entertainment it can't compete with Vice.

Farina was of course a great actor and he shines as Torello. He was a great lead for the show. I also really like Vice and Thief alumni John Santucci as Taglia. The actor that plays Ray Luca is OK. He lacks the menace and charisma of a Joe Dellesandro or Joe Pesci. They can play mobsters brilliantly.

It lacks Vice's strong main cast of characters and their camaraderie which help make the series so great. Vice had Crockett, Tubbs, Castillo, Gia, Trudy, Switek, Zito. Crime Story only really has Farina, Bill Smilrovich and Stephen Lang.The rest of the cop squad don't make much of an impression.

It doesn't have as many great villains as Vice either

Some of the episodes in S2 are comparable to some of the boring episodes in season 4 of Vice like Vote of Confidence or Badge of Dishonor. They aren't bad but they aren't that good either and you'd never give the a second watch. Storyline and plot are what makes a show or movie great and the storylines so far have been average.

That's my impression of what I've seen so far.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

I watched it religiously when it came on tv

Actually the first two shows that aired did so bad they were second to last on the rating system and were going to cancel the show, but people wrote into the network and saved the show and the writers started to focus on Luca and Pauly a bit more and got Torello involved with major crimes.

The story grew from there but I watched it every week as I found the cars to be so cool! I know...stupid reason to watch a show, but I did get entangled into the story line and began to love the show!

And yes...the cars were very cool!!!

I think there is already a thread on this subject somewhere on this site? I'll have to do a search and find out where it's hiding.....

Edited by Stinger390X