Most underrated songs used on MV!

Vincent Hanna

4 hours ago, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

Ah, you beat me to it.  I love this song in this episode.  It's hypnotic, almost like reciting a mantra. 

I also have got to recognize "Par Avion", like some else already did.  It's a great song by itself and a perfect fit for this episode.  

+1

excellent screen name/avatar btw :thumbsup:

also, pm me if you'd like to have an MP3 of "Par Avion" attached to the Jan Hammer cue just before it (one continuous song, as in the episode). 

Edited by nofretz

On 5/30/2016 at 8:34 PM, nofretz said:

+1

excellent screen name/avatar btw :thumbsup:

also, pm me if you'd like to have an MP3 of "Par Avion" attached to the Jan Hammer cue just before it (one continuous song, as in the episode). 

I would love to but I don't know how to pm.  Can you show me how?  

Thanks for your compliment.  Your name is great, by the way.  Nice double entendre and perfect for a JH fan/student. 

3 hours ago, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

I would love to but I don't know how to pm.  Can you show me how?  

Thanks for your compliment.  Your name is great, by the way.  Nice double entendre and perfect for a JH fan/student. 

Thanks! Pm sent. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Famous trumpeter Mark Isham's "Raffles in Rio" from 1985 appeared uncredited in 1987s Season 3s "By Hooker, By Crook" - nice track . Anyone know anything about it ?

Quite Jan Hammer-ish in many ways:D

Edited by Matt5

This from Red Tape right? Others might disagree but I think this could have played at the closing credits of the Finale.

You have the montage with all the cool action scenes and then you hear the chorus "Do the best adventures have to end?…..whoa ohh oh" and you see Crockett and Tubbs hugging and all the other sweeter moments on the show.

Yes, that's from the Red Tape teaser. I think the lyrics are on point, but the music doesn't go well with the mood of your favorite show circling the drain. ;(

Edited by Dadrian

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Famous trumpeter Mark Isham's "Raffles in Rio" from 1985 appeared uncredited in 1987s Season 3s "By Hooker, By Crook" - nice track . Anyone know anything about it ?

Quite Jan Hammer-ish in many ways:D

That's an interesting one. I have the original music cue sheet of Universal Television for this episode that is also used by tv stations all over the world to pay royalties for the music played to respective right owners. this cue sheet says Raffles in Rio for the scene where Crockett and Tubbs see Izzy in the Gallery. But in fact "Sympathy and acknowledgement" which is on the same record "Vapor drawings" by Mark Isham is played. This piece sounds similar to Raffles In Rio but it is not the same. I have no clue why Universal mixed that up. this is the only time I know of that the official music cue sheet is wrong and I have a lot of music cue sheets from MV.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes, that's from the Red Tape teaser. I think the lyrics are on point, but the music doesn't go well with the mood of your favorite show circling the drain. ;(

Good point but I thought a more uplifting song would be better way to close the show and express  what the show was about, instead of the using the more sentimental song that is a bit too depressing imo. 

• Like 1

You gotta give Jan Hammer a shout out too. I love the scene in Golden Triangle pt 2 when they bust Lao Li in the warehouse as this is playing. It plays when sonny's driving his boat to a meet in Yankee Dollar too.

Tremendous stuff:cool:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom said:

That's an interesting one. I have the original music cue sheet of Universal Television for this episode that is also used by tv stations all over the world to pay royalties for the music played to respective right owners. this cue sheet says Raffles in Rio for the scene where Crockett and Tubbs see Izzy in the Gallery. But in fact "Sympathy and acknowledgement" which is on the same record "Vapor drawings" by Mark Isham is played. This piece sounds similar to Raffles In Rio but it is not the same. I have no clue why Universal mixed that up. this is the only time I know of that the official music cue sheet is wrong and I have a lot of music cue sheets from MV.

Yes it is odd - a mix up with Universal . "Raffles in Rio" is very Jan Hammer in style - I enjoyed the piece and will now look out for the other piece you mentioned:D

21 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This song really shows how great U2 can be. I've never heard this remix. Thanks for sharing, Matt!

You're welcome Dadrian it's a nice version slightly different but staying true to the original

Such a great MV song!:D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is definitely underrated: Todd Rundgren's haunting 'Tiny Demons' from Little Prince, S1. This song sums up the feeling of depression and sadness and plays perfectly in the scene where Mark Jorgensen Jr, played by Mitchell Litchtenstein, high on coke is laying on  upstairs bathroom floor.

Tubbs: 'the saddest thing is an uptown junkie, they're only into it because they hurt so much  inside..'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Castillo71 said:

...high on coke is laying on  upstairs bathroom floor.

Actually, the paraphernalia appeared to be heroin. 

Excellent song choice, indeed! Todd Rundgen is a genius!

• Like 1

Am 14.7.2016 um 01:20 schrieb ivoryjones:

This one is not by all means my all-time favorite, but I like it, and it's forgotten nowadays. An unforgettable scene, in which we find our guys reaching a new level of friendship!

Fashion - You Only Left Your Picture

What episode was this? There was another song by them used on MV that I really love. White Stuff! Was it on Prodigal son? That song has several cool versions.

Fashion was a great band - and quite underrated in general (in the 80s). Especially their third album "Twilight of Idols" (1984), which is a true gem IMO. Almost every song on there would have been usable for MV. For some reason they only used songs from their second album though (Fabrique).

Edited by Den Taylor

57 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

What episode was this? There was another song by them used on MV that I really love. White Stuff! Was it on Prodigal son? That song has several cool versions.

That was from Evan ("You only left your picture") and yes, the other was heard in Prodigal Son. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

Fabrique or Twilight?

It may be a compilation idk. Is called "Height of Fashion".