The General Lee Is Under fire

Kavinsky

Due to this hate crime in SC Warner Brothers has opted to ban any use of the confederate flag on the general lee, and its toys and is apparently canceling certain things that were going to use it, some guest driving it at a event for instance.

and while I can understand not wanting it at a state house as an official flag, this is abit far fetched and an overreaction if I've ever seen one to ban its use on the car, as it was simply ment as a symbol of rebelion, not hate on that car. as they were always getting in trouble with the law with moonshine running and breaking traffic laws.

and Boss was a former moonshine runner himself, despite controling the law in that fictional town, so it was ment as a symbol of rebelion against him if anything.

and actually in one of the episodes they aided a black investigator in busting some criminal ring, some racing thing, if you ever wanted to be matter of fact about it and this is just a sad casualty of political correctness if I've ever seen one, and I must wonder if this means that the Bandit's Trans am Is next, as it had a rebel flag on it as well.

5350576653_0090fa2571_b.jpg

8676277261_ba85b9e5b1_b.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Pathetic... They're banning new things everyday, so much for freedom. 

I don't see how banning a flag is going to magically fix everything.

• Like 1

Our western society is so civilized these days.

Its okay to make music about selling drugs and treating women as objects, but for southerners using their ancestors flag is now bad because few crazies use it as a symbol of hate. Nice logic.

Besides, do they really think just banning things will fix the past and stop people from buying the stuff? I swear sometimes I wonder how our leaders got elected in the first place. I actually think in this case it will have the opposite effect, the dixie flag is the flag of rebels. This will probably harm all the fine southern people who are just proud of their history and be fuel for the racist idiots.

• Like 2

Indeed, as from what I understand part of the reason why it was flown in the first place after the civil war was that it was supposed to be a sign of respect for the veterans lost in the civil war on that side of the border, as its apparently the confederate battle flag.

and a reminder of the dangers of forcing your will on someone you dont live with and dont know, and what it can lead to. plus you gotta figure in the 1920, 30's till about the late 1960's there was probably still some verterans of that war around on both sides.

So its not like the nazi's and the nazi flags and that whole situation in germany, where that is banned period and with good reason, given the nazi's racial additudes towards everyone who didnt fit their ideal vision of the future, which included anyone who dared to quesiton them period, as they threw them in the concentration camps as well, which is not something that is widely known.

although given that the vererans of that war are long since gone, I can see and conceed why they wouldnt want those flown at a statehouse, but to outright ban it, and its something known as a rebel flag, well as you said its going to have the revese effect.

if anything I would have said at the very least put it at half mast in honor of those people and put it up to a vote down there, and leave it down there, not have Ebay and Amazon ban selling it outright and then have the WB pull the flag and the car from events.

I mean that is overreaction if I've ever seen one.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

This is getting downright silly.  I just read that Apple is now discontinuing any Civil War games because of racist overtones. So are we again rewriting history? Just like those nuts who claim the Nazi concentration camps were a myth. 

• Like 2

who knows, its one of those things where it seems like shame by association is being used as a weapon against things people feel uneasy about, and it makes me wonder if they would do the same thing to something like papers please if russia had gone to a full republic after the wall fell.

I think it's important to remember that there has been no "ban" on Warner Bros., Ebay, Walmart, etc... from selling the Confederate flag.  They're still widely available from many places.  If these corporations choose to stop selling it, for whatever reason, they have the right and freedom to choose to do that.  Using the word "banned" is simply not accurate, and not the same as Holocaust denial in Germany, for example, which is actually illegal or "banned".  Private speech is still protected.  Individuals can still fly the flag if they choose, but if a business chooses not to associate themselves with that speech, because it has become unpopular, again, that is their right to do so.

• Like 1

Using the word "banned" is simply not accurate, and not the same as Holocaust denial in Germany, for example, which is actually illegal or "banned".  Private speech is still protected.

"Ban" is not a legal term.  Ferrariman can ban me from this website without going through legal channels.

Likewise, censorship is not a power exclusively held by governments.  Up until recently, governments were the only groups that practiced political censorship, so all anti-censorship advocacy was directed against governments.  In movies or books dramatizing the threat of censorship, governments were always the villains.

Unfortunately, we have recently seen private censorship become a menace in its own right.  The purpose is the same as government censorship:  by preventing people from expressing certain views, the censors can effectively prevent ideas from spreading.

• Like 1

This country truly has really been taken over by a bunch of twelve year olds. Everybody's gotta go ballistic and run around in the street screaming the apocalypse. Look when it came to flying the flag over goverment buliding just out of respect for the victims I thought taking it down temporarily out of respect for the victims given the shooter was using that flag was a fairly civil thing to do. But then Walmart and Amazon started to drop the flag from sales, fine I say. It's their choice what to sell, that's also a part of a capitalist society. But Apple taking historical-based games down and now Dukes of Hazzard (and believe me I never thought I would find myself defending the Dukes of Hazzard) is under fire?

How about this America: GROW UP. Doing all this does nothing to change history or curb racism. Racism exists because human nature allows for people to become crazy and/or stupid and that's not going to change because some people just revel in their stupidity and pass it down like a family heirloom or that 100 year old parrot who tells dirty jokes. Unless these flags are cheap poisonous ones from China then this is just knee-jerk madness from people who are too lazy to think for themselves for a moment and turn of these FOX/CNN/MSNBCBSABC drama boxes and actually do some statistical research into what is going on.

So for those banning stuff like this, how are we going to educate people on our history if you keep doing stuff like this? To avoid past mistakes you have to learn about them and what it means. And if there truly is a supposed rebellion uprising from white supremacists coming (all riding motorized buggies from Walmart) wouldn't having them proudly flying their flag make them easier to pick out of the crowd? It's up to Warner whether to keep the Dukes of Hazzard or not (from personal experience on their Blu-ray front I can tell you they ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer) but to do so because what, people going nuts? Are the DVDs now going be recalled and Spielberged with the flag being replaced with a giant mural of a walkie-talkie? This isn't logic, this is just trying to pat yourselves on the back for doing nothing about a problem that is not something that can be solved overnight.

• Like 2

Here's the latest from whom many call a real racist..

Louis Farrakhan stated “We need to put the American flag down. Because we’ve caught as much hell under that as the Confederate flag†in remarks before the Metropolitan AME Church in Washington, DC on Wednesday first reported by DC’s WMAL.

Farrakhan said, “White folks march with you because they don’t want you upsetting the city, they don’t give a damn about them nine.â€

He added that when the police took suspected shooter Dylann Roof to Burger King they were saying “You did a good job. Kill all them [bleep.]â€

Later, he declared, “I don’t know what the hell the fight is about over the Confederate flag. We need to put the American flag down. Because we’ve caught as much hell under that as the Confederate flag,†comments that were meant with cheers and applause. He added, “Who are we fighting today? It’s the people that carry the American flag.â€

Goodbye sweet America. Dismantle it, one piece at a time I guess. The President also wants to "fundamentally transform America". Well, ...I'm not about that.

• Like 3

My point was simply that individual and corporate speech are still protected.  These were decisions by a handful of corporations that some may not agree with, but that are fully their right to decide.  I don't believe the Confederate flag is going to disappear in the future or from the history books.

"Ban" is not a legal term.

Not exclusively legal would be more accurate, but for example, the federal assault weapons ban that previously existed was most certainly the law at the time.  The term can be used colloquially as well.

Absolutely f**king stupid.....The General is well known for this flag, the show isn't racist, nothing about it is racist...people are just too sensitive these days and they take things too far, I hate PC so much.

• Like 4

You know it all comes back to the egg, be decent to each other, as life is hard enough without people being power hungry and forceful to each other about what they should and can not do.

and it shows what kind of low caliber these poltical people are if there using a tragedy to get famous from it, as a decent person, would wait a few weeks to let the people who have lost people time to greeve and get their thoughts and feelings together, as with things like this, you never want to strike while the iron is hot. and I think it should be a law that with things like this, that they have to wait a minimal of 3 months before debating or even talking about it when it comes to law making.

as its disrespectful, irresponsible, wreckless and dangerous to do so, and it truly shows what kind of low caliber our president really is, and as of note, that senator who voted for pro gay marrage, now he seems like the right kind of politcian that we need, atleast from the face of it, as I hadnt heard of him till today lol and he leaves things up for the people themselves to decide in their own personal lives.

as one persons hell is another persons heaven, and its up to them to decide, and thus forcing ones will and calling us primative, namely when you've unleashed hell on france, just makes me think your an arrogant inflated ass Mr President. and I'm glad I didnt let myself get suckered into voting for you.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 3

You know I never had a problem with the confederate flag was use to seeing. It on the General Lee but there are other things I won't stand for either.But there will be a fight and regarding the screaming chicken on the trains am nothing wrong with that and worth a whole lot of money too.I was going to mention another word but I would be censored.

Well it's quite a controversy for sure?

As an outsider I never understood why United States of America needed two flags anyway? Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me? Why is the "Stars and Stripes" not flown from GOVERNMENT buildings in the south or in any state for that fact?

Shouldn't there be consistency across your great nation?

We only have one Canadian Flag??????

I heard a comedy troup here in Canada was thinking about making a short spoof feature about the General Lee mobile. they were going to gag the series and use a black Volkswagen Beetle with a Nazi flag on the roof and run around smuggling wheat across the border or something like that. I guess it was a bit contravercial as they did not carry out their little prank.

Would have made a great youTube laugh of the day.....

As an outsider I never understood why United States of America needed two flags anyway? Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me? Why is the "Stars and Stripes" not flown from GOVERNMENT buildings in the south or in any state for that fact?

Wrong.

Canada flag:  125px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Ontario flag:  125px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.png

Why is the "Stars and Stripes" not flown from GOVERNMENT buildings in the south or in any state for that fact?

LOL, sounds like Canadian news have done a number on you.  OF COURSE the Stars and Stripes are flown at government buildings in the south.

This "Confederate flag" that is being debated is not an official flag anywhere, though some states have its image in part of their flag.  Importantly, it was NEVER the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It was a battle flag used during the Civil War.  It is flown today to honor the soldiers who fought bravely in that war as well as to protest the destruction of Southern culture.

One of the core ideas of America's Founding Fathers was that we should not have a strong central government.  The individual states are supposed to be mostly independent.  While that ideal has gradually been obliterated, most notably by Abraham Lincoln when he crushed the southern slave states that were seceding from the US but left the northern slave states alone, there are still some people holding out.

The Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, was ratified on December 15, 1791.  It expresses the principle of federalism, which undergirds the entire plan of the original Constitution, by stating that the federal government possesses only those powers delegated to it by the Constitution. All remaining powers are reserved for the states or the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

One of the core ideas of America's Founding Fathers was that we should not have a strong central government.  The individual states are supposed to be mostly independent.  While that ideal has gradually been obliterated, most notably by Abraham Lincoln when he crushed the southern slave states that were seceding from the US but left the northern slave states alone, there are still some people holding out.

It's perhaps more precise to say, one of the core "arguments" among the founding fathers was the relative strength of a central government in relation to the states.  There was much disagreement as The Federalist Papers demonstrate.  The first attempt at a new government, the Articles of Confederation, was a failure for precisely that reason: too weak of a central government.  The opening days of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia centered on whether to try and amend the Articles or toss them out entirely.  We know the final decision.

Edited by pahonu

Well it's quite a controversy for sure?

I heard a comedy troup here in Canada was thinking about making a short spoof feature about the General Lee mobile. they were going to gag the series and use a black Volkswagen Beetle with a Nazi flag on the roof and run around smuggling wheat across the border or something like that. I guess it was a bit contravercial as they did not carry out their little prank.

Would have made a great youTube laugh of the day.....

hmm sounds like something Roger Corman would have done really

Wrong.

Canada flag:  125px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Ontario flag:  125px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.png

LOL, sounds like Canadian news have done a number on you.  OF COURSE the Stars and Stripes are flown at government buildings in the south.

This "Confederate flag" that is being debated is not an official flag anywhere, though some states have its image in part of their flag.  Importantly, it was NEVER the flag of the Confederate States of America.  It was a battle flag used during the Civil War.  It is flown today to honor the soldiers who fought bravely in that war as well as to protest the destruction of Southern culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Thanks for the explanation however the Ontario flag is a PROVINCIAL flag. In the United States you have STATE flags too, if I'm not mistaken?

Government building such as the Post Office or Service Canada or any others all fly the Maple Leaf.

My question was why does the southern states fly the Rebel Flag instead of the Stars and Stripes?

I just couldn't make the correlation?

I understand the ideals of the old south but I was under the impression that UNITED (the key word) States was a confederation of all states and follow the federals laws which govern it equally??? Or is it still unequal perhaps? Could someone clarify this for me if I am mistaken.

It does make for an interesting debate.

Edited by Stinger390X

Thanks for the explanation however the Ontario flag is a PROVINCIAL flag. In the United States you have STATE flags too, if I'm not mistaken?

Our states are like your provinces.

Government building such as the Post Office or Service Canada or any others all fly the Maple Leaf.

As I said in my post, the same is true here.

My question was why does the southern states fly the Rebel Flag instead of the Stars and Stripes?

As I said in my post, they don't.

• Like 1

Our states are like your provinces.

Then why do multiple states fly the rebel flag instead of say their state sanctioned flag?

Then why do multiple states fly the rebel flag instead of say their state sanctioned flag?

Sorry, I didn't know about that.  Which states do that?

When I open the paper, or look online, there's a new debate about the rebel battle flag every day. One was about how someone who owns a General Lee car like in the TV show THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, is going to paint over the flag on the roof of the car. Really?  Also, a Cable network (TV LAND, I think) is removing the show THE DUKES OF HAZZARD from it's TV line up. Really? 

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT