Patrick Macnee Has Passed

Kavinsky

Ugh how many of these am I going to have to write, now Patrick Macnee, Steed of the avengers, a show I am also a fan of, has passed age 93, same age as christopher lee, of which he actually guest stared on that show at one point.

and I literally just saw him in murder she wrote the other night, along with a very rare lotus elite.

and of note back during the avengers Dianna Rigg considered him her only real friend she had on that show, as it turned out the camera man was getting paid more than her back then, which could also explain why Honor Blackman left the show in order to do Goldfinger, and thus I would bet she and Honor are going to be at his funeral.

granted there is an interview with him and conan from the 1990's where he displayed a difference of opinion from me, a key one, but I can respect that and leave it be. as much like his character in the shows and his films he was a gentleman about it.

and it made the avengers more unique because of it, although I am much more into the professionals nowadays, which was the basis of the interceptors for Top Gear and their spoof of it

Edited by Kavinsky

It's sad to lose two childhood staples (Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee) in the same month. The Avengers was a show that really defined the mod era and did so with a touch of humor and was overall good natured as well as being another definition of British cool. Outside of The Avengers I haven't honestly seen much of him outside of the odd smaller appearances on TV mysteries and a few films but John Steed left an impression (and if you have yet to check out the James Bond documentaries he narrated on the Blu-rays then I highly recommend them, his narration gives them a real sparkle). I can't seem to find the interview now but I remember Macnee mentioning how that trademark umbrella was a big part in definining the show's lighthearted nature because early on in the pre-Emma Peel years his character was dressed in what you would've normally seen youths wore at that time and he was sometimes even armed especially in the now-lost first season with Get Carter's Ian Hendry. With the umbrella as a weapon it was meant to take away that violent edge that him being armed with a gun did and fit with the vibe they were trying to achieve with the Emma Peel years and it worked.

It's not much but here's a snippet of an interview mentioning the bowler hat being almost an accident and a bit of insight into his portrayal of the character.

I absolutely loved Patrick's character in the Avengers.  Watching this show as a kid of the 60s I wanted to be a secret agent.  Well that never happened lol.  Saw him in other movies and enjoyed the debonnaire quality he brought to the screen.  Even when he played a villain in the original Battlestar Gallactica he was a suave dude.  RIP Mr Macnee. 

I loved his character in that show!

Just heard an old interview with him on CBC back in the 70's and it was very interesting to hear about his work behind the scense and on the live stage too.

He had remarkable career and was admired.

you know its funny about that scottish thing, I was looking up some female race car driver that Harry Evo was going to be cohosting the reopening of a musemn with, and in the video they mentioned something about scottish women being different from the usual kind over there, as it was a talk about feminsimn and all that, and one of the hosts said that it was actually his grandmother, a scottish girl who proposed to his grandfather rather than the usual way

which might explain his additude towards diana rigg and the others really

• 5 years later...

Coming to this way late, but I'll always remember him as the voice of the Imperious Leader and the devilish Count Iblis in Battlestar Galactica. One of the great British voices. I have Galactica convention footage of him and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.