Top Gun

Detective_Crockett

Recently gave this movie a watch, and my goodness me..why didn't I watch this years ago? It's brilliant and it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

Everyone...favourite scenes, favourite quotes, favourite anything from the movie?

I will say, my aviators are being worn everyday now and I can't stop listening to the song Danger Zone by Loggins ;)

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the movie, and collect the music from the movie (mostly interested in Harold Faltermeyer's score). I tried to collect all the patches from the leather G-1 jacket Tom wore in the movie (it's his father's), and tried researching what they were, as I was going to make my own. I did lots of research by looking at books on Naval patches, and found a few of them.

Then I found someone on the internet who could make patches, so I hired him to make copies off of the photos I sent him from stills from the movie. He made them for me, and thought the idea was awesome. He made duplicates, and sold them online. He sold a ton of them.  Slowly but surely, a new one would appear from time to time, and after a few years, all of them were found and being sold. Now, a very expensive jacket will all the patches are being sold for like $800-900. I never made my jacket, but I have all the patches now if I choose to make it. It's possible, that I may have started the patches being sold online, as they just were not out there when I first started hiring the guy, and looking online. 

Here's a thread I started back in 2009 about my patches.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/2039-top-gun-jacket-patches/?hl=patches

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

Never been a fan of that movie but I watched it not long time ago and I have to say it tells us how the way they make films has changed.

The movie industry has become a frustrating research of the utmost shock. Any new film coming out is supposed to rape and shock you stronger than the last one. I'm not talking about violent movies, but about every movie you see on the screen nowdays. Everything, from the colors to the music, from the way the scenes are cut to the un-human speed of the narration etc. is made to shock and freeze you on the seat. I watched a movie called "The Counselor" some time ago and I was disgusted. No story at all, just hits on your brain.

Top Gun, which wasn't certainly seen as a work of art when it came out, is a masterpiece compared to what we have now on the screen. I know, I'm quite alone in telling this, with many fans of Fast'n'Furious and Playstation out there. But that's where the problem lies: Are you going to see a story or being eaten by a videogame?

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 2

Although I am a bit peeved at Cruise, I can look beyond that and say that it was a good movie for sure.

My buddy has a huge stereo setup with surround sound etc and a DVD Blueray player and it is amazing seeing this in his living room! When the jets take off the sound emminates from the left side of the room and follows over to the right. You feel like your right there on the flight deck!

He also has the bluray of Cruises Nascar "Days of Thunder"movie as well and it does the same effect. Fells like your right there!

Never was a fan of his infamous "Couch Jumping" on Oprah, or his religion, but he's still likeable and I like his movies for the most part. TOP GUN is my favorite of his films. 

Never been a fan of that movie but I watched it not long time ago and I have to say it tells us how the way they make films has changed.

The movie industry has become a frustrating research of the utmost shock. Any new film coming out is supposed to rape and schok you stronger than the last one. I'm not talking about violent movies, but about every movie you see on the screen nowdays. Everything, from the colors to the music, from the way the scenes are cut to the un-human speed of the narration etc. is made to shock and freeze you on the seat. I watched a movie called "The Counselor" some time ago and I was disgusted. No story at all, just hits on your brain.

Top Gun, which wasn't certainly seen as a work of art when it came out, is a masterpiece compared to what we have now on the screen. I know, I'm quite alone in telling this, with many fans of Fast'n'Furious and Playstation out there. But that's where the problem lies: Are you going to see a story or being eaten by a videogame?

I'm with you on most of that Jerry!  The Fast'nFurious movies are lost on me, as are the fantasy and super hero ones.  Blockbusters drive the film industry today because they do well overseas in various languages as well as here in the US.  That's why there are so many sequels being made.  They're known quantities that will drive global ticket sales.  Film historians generally agree the 1930's was the golden age of Hollywood, but many point to the 70's as, perhaps, the next best by decade.  It saw the collapse of the studio system and the rise of smaller independent productions guided by the director's vision.  Think: Chinatown, The Godfather films, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Taxi Driver.  None of these films did huge business overseas.  they simply don't translate as well.

That being said, I think lots of great films are still being made, they're just not the most popular ones.  You've just got to look a little harder.  They don't have the giant advertising budgets and PR machines behind them.  Raging Bull was from the 80's, Schindler's List the 90's, Slumdog Millionaire the 00's.  These are all great films.  They're out there.  They just don't always sell the most tickets.

I'm a big fan of the movie, and collect the music from the movie (mostly interested in Harold Faltermeyer's score). I tried to collect all the patches from the leather G-1 jacket Tom wore in the movie (it's his father's), and tried researching what they were, as I was going to make my own. I did lots of research by looking at books on Naval patches, and found a few of them.

Then I found someone on the internet who could make patches, so I hired him to make copies off of the photos I sent him from stills from the movie. He made them for me, and thought the idea was awesome. He made duplicates, and sold them online. He sold a ton of them.  Slowly but surely, a new one would appear from time to time, and after a few years, all of them were found and being sold. Now, a very expensive jacket will all the patches are being sold for like $800-900. I never made my jacket, but I have all the patches now if I choose to make it. It's possible, that I may have started the patches being sold online, as they just were not out there when I first started hiring the guy, and looking online. 

Here's a thread I started back in 2009 about my patches.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/2039-top-gun-jacket-patches/?hl=patches

That's cool Coop!  Funny, you have all the patches, but never made the jacket.  I have a plain jacket and have thought for years about getting some patches.  Just never did, probably because I don't wear it much.  It's really warm for Southern California.  I got the jacket as a gift!  A buddy of mine is attached to the USS Carl Vinson at North Island in San Diego.  He's a Lt. Cmdr. involved in logistics.  Several years ago he called me and asked what size jacket I wore.  Wouldn't tell me anything else.  A few weeks later it arrived by mail.  Just like that.  I guess I can figure out how he got it, but I never knew they were so expensive!

• Like 1

Tom Cruise, I must admit, is a terrific actor! I never realized it until I realized how many different roles he convincingly plays.

Some actors are type set like Sylvester Stallone, ( Rocky, or Rambo in 10 films ).   Bruce Willis, ( Die Hard series ) Arnold Swartznegger - ( Terminator movies )...etc.

But Tom Cruise .......an ace pilot in "Top Gun", a hero confined to a wheelchair in "Born on the 4th of July", a lawyer in "A Few Good Men", "The Last Samurai", a spy in "Mission Impossible" movies,.......but my favorite............................... 

.........a hit man in "Collateral."  :thumbsup:   In fact, that's the only movie I like Jamie Foxx in.  ;)   Tom Cruise is believable in every part he plays.....Amazing!  :fireworks:

Tom Cruise would be too old to be a naval combat pilot. I'm guessing he'd be a teacher if they make it. Kelly Mcgillis looks HORRRIBLE. She could never be in it now, no way. I have no idea if they will make it.  I think it would be a bad idea. It was a stand alone film like E.T. was. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong. 

Kelly married a woman. Click below.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/3190-kelly-mcgillis-marries-a-woman/?hl=%2Bkelly+%2Bmcgillis

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Tom Cruise would be too old to be a naval combat pilot. I'm guessing he'd be a teacher if they make it. Kelly Mcgillis looks HORRRIBLE. She could never be in it now, no way. I have no idea if they will make it.  I think it would be a bad idea. It was a stand alone film like E.T. was. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong. 

Kelly married a woman. Click below.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/3190-kelly-mcgillis-marries-a-woman/?hl=%2Bkelly+%2Bmcgillis

Wow, she didn't get old looking, she got ugly. :eek:

It baffles me how a person can get married, have kids & then realize she is a lesbian. ?(  :birdie:

• Like 1

79 Cringeworthy Technical Errors In The Movie ‘Top Gun’

Read more: http://www.wearethemighty.com/79-cringe-worthy-technical-errors-in-the-movie-top-gun-2015-03#ixzz3enZwAKGn

Thanks, damrod....I enjoyed reading the errors & watching the clip but it doesn't make me cringe because the technical things don't affect the excitement & drama of the movie....for me.

If someone was playing the guitar and faking the chords.......then I would "cringe."   ;)  :D

Tony D

I agree with your point of Tom Cruise being a terrific actor.  I have seen all of his films and enjoyed seeing him play the villain in Collateral.  Loved his performance  in The Firm and A Few Good Men.  I always watch Risky Business if I see it while channel surfing.  Looking forward to the new Mission Impossible movie.