McBurnie Build

Guest C.T.

I regard to the fuel cell, it should go between the frame rails. The standard 72 Vette gas tank sat in the same spot in the two show cars (Tale of the Goat has a pretty good look at the rear of both cars in the scene where Crockett follows and then looses Tubbs). Be cautious that the fuel inlet hose is gently bent to allow the fuel to flow freely and not backwash into the filler cap area.

The trunk floor I fabricated was sheet aluminum, simply attached (with cork as a gasket) to the rear frame.

The donor Corvette frame will probably some with a wiring harness, but the bulb housings will not properly fit into the Ferrari light housings (particularly the taillights). I bought Ferrari pigtails and wired them into the harness so that the bulbs do not fall out of the housing (as in the Pilot episode where the taillight is operating in some scenes and not in others--this was a common problem with McBurnie builds)

Stock Corvette door panels (or door cards) will fit the car, but the top of the panel has a profile which is not consistent with the line of the door. I used stock panels for a while, and no one remarked about them (including Carl Roberts). I prefer the door panels I have now, which are modified standard Corvettes and made to match the lines of the Daytona doors. I used tan panels with black door pulls and a black carpet inserts in the bottom of the panel.

The donor Corvette frame will probably some with a wiring harness, but the bulb housings will not properly fit into the Ferrari light housings (particularly the taillights). I bought Ferrari pigtails and wired them into the harness so that the bulbs do not fall out of the housing (as in the Pilot episode where the taillight is operating in some scenes and not in others--this was a common problem with McBurnie builds)

So if I am reading this correctly, the standard Corvette light fittings won't sit in the rear Carello lenses correctly? Obviously, the OEM Ferrari fittings will? Can you possibly send me a link to the required parts? Could I not just cut the existing Corvette light fitting off and wire up an alternative fitting using the existing power cable?

Would it be one of these? 

s3k0i0.jpg

Edited by C.T.

Hmm we always thought it was the full sized tornado ones because of the electric switches, is it possible there could be an electric varriant of the baby Tornado's that were not aware of?

the reason for them not being painted is that we figured it was plastic, and plastic is kinda hard to paint given the time period, plus it kinda blent in with the windshield trim more or less, while the full sized ones are metal.

also a possibility might be that they used Tuxedo black, laquer, the corvette color for the body, as they stopped making black corvettes in the 1970's as the most popular color was whites and beiges until the mid 1980's, although if you've got ferrari nero daytona lined up I wouldnt bother changing it

a word of warning with the tops, I was over at the local durand Chevolet dealership, and they had a 1972 corvette in there, 454, bronze in the Rockford File colors and there was a little bit of a gap between the deck lid and the windows, and the top was up, I'm not entirely sure what that is about, if the top wasnt fitted properly or what.

as it looked like you could fit a coat rack in there between the gap, also the battery is located under that said deck lid, and so moving that to the trunk could be a good idea, either that or to the engine bay. trunk probably, although go acidless/gel battery like they use for boats, as well take a look at 5:05

and I saw what leaking battery acid can do to a flash light first hand, the battery exploded, it aint pretty, thankfully not with me holding it/using it, so if you do nothing with moving it, going acidless would probably still be a good idea.

and as far in as possible I would reckon if you go for the trunk.

it could be that maybe that vapor lock thing was ment for big block cars, as some people did pop in big blocks, and according to the tom falconer book it was stuffed in their rather tightly in the stock C3, to the point where a typical six pack didnt work that well to the point where some people just replaced it with a single four and a two barrel.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/1650-rare-ferrari-daytona-info-mcburnie-coachcraft-replica/

post 7

also in looking this up I found this again, Torsion bar suspensions always worked well

and with the lights we had this same talk with Sonny Burnett

gallery_471_5_270570.jpg

look for the ferrari Sockets for the tail lights, a good source would be T Rutlands, as a matter of fact talk of this showed up in the video with the super bee as the tail lights on the camaro went out.

so apparently this three prong system never worked quite well lol

With the mechanicals while I think of it with the GTX in mind if you want to uprate the suspension of the Vette, Speed Direct has a whole set of kits for the C3

http://www.speeddirect.com/

as the torsion bars are basically some anti roll bars, and the C4 added a roll bar to the front, along with a rack and pinon steering set up, which can probably be transplanted into your car

also its worth mentioning that with these two cars, they initally had or have TH400 Gearboxes in them

as Ferrari and Jaguar both used GM 400 Gearboxes back then, for the Ferrari 400 and the jags like these

so I'm not sure if you would want to change that after driving the base car, as I made a point yesterday to contact tremic (as leno says their the best) and see if they have any auto trannys (havent checked my mail yet) but it could be a good idea to either change the tranny for one with more gears, a latter model C4 one,  or the shift points to suit the way you like to drive the car like this guy did before you begin the conversion

plus hurst has shift kits for these transmissions, to deal with that lock out issue he had with it.

also with the brakes its worth mentioning that Harry has uprated the brakes with EBC yellowstuff pads, and that is becoming more and more common, as even the roadkill people have started using that, and he said that it improved the braking feel on the countach quite a bit

and there was a video about some upgrade kit you could do to the handbrake of the C3, I'm not sure if this link still works honestly.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/corvette/corvette-parking-brake-kit/

and this man in general could be the guy to email and talk to about uprating anything your not happy with.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/corvette/mr-corvette-dick-guldstrand/

also from one of my old text files

For Vette parts I recommend
http://www.ecklers.com/

For Daytona parts I recommend
http://www.rowleycorvette.com/gtcparts.html

For Ferrari parts I recommend
http://www.trutlands.com/

dont get me wrong its easy to get into the you need this, this and this mindset, so you may not want or need any of this but atleast you'll have the info about it ahead of time if you do

plus the daytona in the show might have been uprated above the C3 in these ways, as she's running with a latter motor in it as we speak, what I think might be a 1985 L98 motor, switched to carbs and some extra bits under it during the season 2 upgrade, possibly with rack and pinon and the other bits of the C4 on it.

as the first owner before the conversion put a turbo on it, it stayed on and it might have damaged the motor, causing it to blow a valve, hence the new engine block which put out as a base 40 extra more if my engine choice is correct., before the go fast bits were put on.

Edited by Kavinsky

Thank you Kavinsky.

I know that the full sized electric Tornadoes were on at least one car as they are noticeably bigger and obviously there are the tell tail switches in the console. I suspect that one of the cars had the electric Tornadoes and the other had the smaller Baby Tornadoes.

I'm going to keep the upgrading on the car relatively gentle so a gearbox change is probably something that is out of the equation right now as I have a perfectly good, clean, running donor vehicle and the goal is to get the build together quickly and within a reasonable budget. Any serious surgery can come in the future so for the moment, it just simple stuff like brake pads, suspension, exhaust headers, manifold wrapping etc.

I'm leaving the battery as is mainly for convenience and the fact that I have a top of the range microwave cloak alarm and immobiliser waiting to be fitted.

Where does everyone get the bumper rubber from?

I'm using Superformance in the UK for my Daytona parts as they have some amazing Ferrari inventory and fabricating my own as I have a machine shop and workshop at my disposal. After my last experience, I wouldn't go near Jaramsek with a bargepole as he's just an obnoxious lazy old man with a serious attitude problem. Given his rather lax approach to people offering him a blank check to buy stuff I imagine he doesn't need the money so I'll leave him to it and look elsewhere. And don't get me started on Roberts or McBurnie. It's a shame as this potentially could be a landmark build and may well be the very last of its kind so would be nice to have some link to the original cars.

oh, also with the control knobs photo, that is of car 4, not car 1, and the photo of C and T there next to the daytona is car 4, which you can see by the curvature of the dash at the end.

so its gotta be that there was an electric version of the baby tornados, which would fit as theres ones of the turbos

Edited by Kavinsky

oh, also with the control knobs photo, that is of car 4, not car 1, and the photo of C and T there next to the daytona is car 4, which you can see by the curvature of the dash at the end.

so its gotta be that there was an electric version of the baby tornados, which would fit as theres ones of the turbos

I think you're right. I believe that the screen used cars used the powered Baby Tornadoes that were fitted on a Alfa GTV6. From what I understand these were powered OEM variants of the Baby Tornado's provided specifically for Alfa Romeo.

http://mirror.dvautoparts.com/discount-store/alfa-romeo-gtv-6-vitaloni-right-side-power-mirror-door-alfetta-sprint-gtv6-w-miiqmqlolplr

Edited by C.T.

hmm it would fit given the alfa romeo door handles, and one of the theories I ran over was that the dash might be alfa romeo with its dash top and stock corvette on the bottom, but given the hump on the detomaso I believe its that instead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/djmatsuda/3649461888/

like they cut the hump out of it and reprofiled the dash for it, maybe even possibly using the rest of alfa dash as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123281362@N02/15412369654/

or taking inspiration from it

its a hard thing to figure out, but I believe the seats of the latter detomaso is what they used initally for the car, and for the pilot before switching to the stock 1978 seats with daytona striping

so them using alfa parts, particular ones like that wouldnt suprise me, and the GTV6 is quite the coveted car

Edited by Kavinsky

I have a paint shop lined up to do the job and I've told them to use Glasurit Daytona Nero which is the de facto Ferrari Daytona black. Unless anyone actually knows what was the exact paint code on the screen used cars?

Glasurit is fabulous paint! I used to use it back in the 70's and 80's as we had a "Tuxedo"black that was impeccable.

Sadly here in Ontario we have ecological issues and laws now and many of the solvent based paints are very hard to find. It is difiicult to re-do an OEM finish on vehicles but when I get a special paint job I just pop over to the U.S side of the border to grab some good paint.

PPG made the best clearcoat I have ever used. It is absolutely clear! DuPont is a bit milky and Sherwin has a bit of a yellowish tinge. Ditzler clear also sands out nice with 2000 grit and polishes top a gloss you would not believe!

Good luck on the final finish, looking forwards to seeing pics.

Edited by Stinger390X

I have a question regarding the convertible top. I had an opportunity today to get up close to the only other McBurnie in the UK, an absolutely stunning one belonging to Trans Am Tony. I noticed that the convertible top is only fixed to the rear deck using pop studs. From a security perspective it's somewhat dubious and it's also not exactly weatherproof. Is there a way of permanently attaching the rear edge in a more secure manner that cannot be easily removed and is weathertight?

2lj10z9.jpg

2mx1qjb.jpg

I have also noticed that the front fenders are attached, not with tubing as discussed above, but with diagonally placed steel box tubing, as seen below.

1zx3061.jpg

Does anyone else's car feature this build approach?

Edited by C.T.

Hi C.T.

I have made a drawing and pictures for you with the front and rear bumper mounts. I know the massification is not complete and accurate,but gives you a idea.

Your right, its a steel box tubing. The measure is 30x30mm. Like jurassic narc wrote, the fixings are welded to the frame. Without any springs.

gallery_2717_20_26864.jpg

gallery_2717_20_136755.jpg

the steel box tubing passes through the inner fender

gallery_2717_20_333209.jpg

weldingpoint to the Frame

gallery_2717_20_98279.jpg

Rear bumper

gallery_2717_20_311264.jpg

gallery_2717_20_317899.jpg

Hood vent

You can open the hood vents. There will not be any electric stuff under the hood. Otherwise you will have little lakes in the molds when its raining or by washing the car.

gallery_2717_20_118843.jpg

Why you did not bought a SRV12 or a Robin Hood? That would be much more easier an the steering wheel is on the right side for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Other/221838007793?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29980%26meid%3D7120c52798bf48b5ba5ac535c76de478%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D221838007793

I hope you can understand my post. Sorry, my english is not good and i need some Google-Translation.

Greetz from Switzerland

Edited by Pritt

that spot that you opened the gap is where it was open on that 72, so the mcburnie might be sealed better than the stock one, as for security honestly I dont know how you could really do better than that.

other than drill and tapping it through the body in some spots and mounting it with bolts on either side like something you would do on a rifle, or stitch it directly to something.

actually they might have done said thing to the actual daytona actually.

gallery_471_5_149049.jpg

the tonau cover is a unique bit too, it has two main metal inserts that clip into the clips on the back of the car, along with two snaps, one on either side

gallery_471_5_50693.jpg

I'm not sure how practical or easy this is to manipulate, although it looks like your buddies car there is using a combination of velcro and snaps, something I kinda thought about actually, as it would fully seal the thing and make it so your not dealing with the land of a thousand snaps everytime you want to put the top down and have the tonau cover on.

although then you have to be weary of where the velcro touches though, hence why I was kind of thinking what about magnets and snaps? which is probably why almost everyone opts for the snaps. as it overcomplecates the simple.

just put less snaps in, and make sure that the ones on there are strong and made of good strong materal

also I must ask with the Nero Daytona paint, did you check it to see if its straight black or metalic, as in looking up the original color of the TR again for this thread

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/12293-testarossa-lost-episode/#entry193507

I remembered that I think Nero Daytona is the metalic paint, straight nero is the normal straight black paint

at 2:00

as the TR originally came in that color, and was switched over to its other color for practicality reasons.

and if this is the case well, personally I wouldnt change it even then, as I had a hard time determining if it was black or black mettalic in that video.

plus I'd be lying if I said that I wouldnt be thrilled to see a daytona replica painted in said color.

and with the base car, you said the frame was checked over right? all the key wields checked? as Camera daytona had a 68 that he's owned since 1972 that had a key wield that needed to be redone on it from age, humidity, and wear and tear, and possibly an accident for all I know.

in this spot in the front

http://miamiviceonline.com/uploads/gallery/album_5/gallery_471_5_170064.jpg

and I have heard that you also want to check the load bearing area of the right rear namely, where the axels are and I figure since the car is getting the conversion done you might want to check this over just because with all the key load bearing areas.

as you mentioned the leaf springs need to be replaced, so it could be a good time just to check it over.

and that probably came from an accident in those cases, given how directly attached the bumpers were, but I reckon its still worth looking over, and it is a 30 year old car

although it is worth noting that Camera Daytona did check this on Car 4, a 1981 as well, and found no such issues there, camera daytona as the name implies actually owns the car used in the pilot and the series FYI, hence why I know so much about it here

car 1 has been found after an illegal vin change was done to it, so both vice cars are accounted for from the inital markian run of 4 or 5, as vice used 1 and 4, 4 in the pilot till it was written out of the show in S3, 1 post pilot and its last known apperance was Sons And Lovers in S2. 

and is currently at the volo museum, although in a drastically different look from the show given its use in a meh movie called speed zone post vice, plus well....... I must wonder if Carl Roberts is in hot water right now

Edited by Kavinsky

that spot that you opened the gap is where it was open on that 72, so the mcburnie might be sealed better than the stock one, as for security honestly I dont know how you could really do better than that.

other than drill and tapping it through the body in some spots and mounting it with bolts on either side like something you would do on a rifle, or stitch it directly to something.

actually they might have done said thing to the actual daytona actually.

gallery_471_5_149049.jpg

the tonau cover is a unique bit too, it has two main metal inserts that clip into the clips on the back of the car, along with two snaps, one on either side

gallery_471_5_50693.jpg

I'm not sure how practical or easy this is to manipulate, although it looks like your buddies car there is using a combination of velcro and snaps, something I kinda thought about actually, as it would fully seal the thing and make it so your not dealing with the land of a thousand snaps everytime you want to put the top down and have the tonau cover on.

although then you have to be weary of where the velcro touches though, hence why I was kind of thinking what about magnets and snaps? which is probably why almost everyone opts for the snaps. as it overcomplecates the simple.

just put less snaps in, and make sure that the ones on there are strong and made of good strong materal

I'm actually seriously considering designing a better system for this which would involves another layer of fabric sewn into the bottom edge of the top which would be permanently fixed inside the car and sealed on the underside of the deck which will provide both the weatherproofing I am after yet still retain the pop studs on the deck lip.

also I must ask with the Nero Daytona paint, did you check it to see if its straight black or metalic, as in looking up the original color of the TR again for this thread

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/12293-testarossa-lost-episode/#entry193507

I remembered that I think Nero Daytona is the metalic paint, straight nero is the normal straight black paint

at 2:00

as the TR originally came in that color, and was switched over to its other color for practicality reasons.

and if this is the case well, personally I wouldnt change it even then, as I had a hard time determining if it was black or black mettalic in that video.

plus I'd be lying if I said that I wouldnt be thrilled to see a daytona replica painted in said color.

I have actually no idea what the original paint on the Daytona was but I did have a chance to get my hands on this 

fux5qf.jpg

It was black metallic and I suspect that it is Nero Daytona. That being the case it didn't look very black and more of a dark grey. There was a distinct gold flake in the paint. There was a chance it was Nero Stellato but I will have to confirm with my paint suppliers as ultimately I may go with a gloss Glasurit 1250 as the metallics don't have the depth of black I'm after.

Edited by C.T.

Hood vent

You can open the hood vents. There will not be any electric stuff under the hood. Otherwise you will have little lakes in the molds when its raining or by washing the car.

Why you did not bought a SRV12 or a Robin Hood? That would be much more easier an the steering wheel is on the right side for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Other/221838007793?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29980%26meid%3D7120c52798bf48b5ba5ac535c76de478%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D221838007793

I hope you can understand my post. Sorry, my english is not good and i need some Google-Translation.

Greetz from Switzerland

Thanks Pritt, you have been most helpful. Looking at this, I'm probably going to go with a round tubular configuration similar the original Daytona and using 308 bumper irons on the bumper side attached to welded tubes on the chassis side using a bolt underneath the mounting tubes. This will allow maximum serviceability.

I'll be opening up the vents 2/3rds of the way leaving a dam on the lower third and a drainage hole and tube to vent excess water out of the engine bay,

I didn't get a SRV12 or a Robin Hood mainly because they aren't McBurnies and that's the reason why we're all here right? The original Robin Hood factory demonstrator did come up for sale earlier in the year but was in such shitty shape I passed as it had been living outside for the past few years and was a complete mess.  

In the photo of the one with the top up there, it looks like theres another key layer of fabric underneath the top, so it could be that is the way ferrari did it

gallery_471_5_149049.jpg

and flat tuxedo black? shouldnt that be gloss, not flat?

also incase you didnt see it, this is one of the check areas when looking over the frame of any ladder chasis car

gallery_471_5_170064.jpg

and yeah its hard to tell, maybe the tr originally came in that Nero Stellato

as that does look more black and less grey. easiest way to maybe figure this out is see if theres anyone who offers touch up paint for ferrari's and see what the paint looks like on a test patch on a bare sheet of metal, although it might get expensive.

but less so than ordering a batch of paint only to find its not the right one, also if you want to see what I mean about the TR well here are the shots of it I have

there does look to be a metalic sheen to it, but maybe its that nero stellato? as it looks less grey

gallery_471_5_55691.jpg

gallery_471_5_48252.jpg

gallery_471_5_76607.jpg

and a touch purpilish, I wonder if they even had that color in 1985?

gallery_471_5_29024.jpg

gallery_471_5_60362.jpg

those three being the only ones that really suggest a metalic like sheen to the paint

gallery_471_5_96837.jpg

gallery_471_5_127462.jpg

vs this one that I thought was nero daytona

gallery_471_5_1621.jpg

gallery_471_5_4315.jpg

not me FYI, where its quite obivious its metalic

Edited by Kavinsky

In the photo of the one with the top up there, it looks like theres another key layer of fabric underneath the top, so it could be that is the way ferrari did it

gallery_471_5_149049.jpg

and flat tuxedo black? shouldnt that be gloss, not flat?

also incase you didnt see it, this is one of the check areas when looking over the frame of any ladder chasis car

gallery_471_5_170064.jpg

and yeah its hard to tell, maybe the tr originally came in that Nero Stellato

as that does look more black and less grey. easiest way to maybe figure this out is see if theres anyone who offers touch up paint for ferrari's and see what the paint looks like on a test patch on a bare sheet of metal, although it might get expensive.

but less so than ordering a batch of paint only to find its not the right one, also if you want to see what I mean about the TR well here are the shots of it I have

there does look to be a metalic sheen to it, but maybe its that nero stellato? as it looks less grey

gallery_471_5_55691.jpg

gallery_471_5_48252.jpg

gallery_471_5_76607.jpg

and a touch purpilish, I wonder if they even had that color in 1985?

gallery_471_5_29024.jpg

gallery_471_5_60362.jpg

those three being the only ones that really suggest a metalic like sheen to the paint

gallery_471_5_96837.jpg

gallery_471_5_127462.jpg

vs this one that I thought was nero daytona

gallery_471_5_1621.jpg

gallery_471_5_4315.jpg

not me FYI, where its quite obivious its metalic

Nero Stellato didn't really exist until 1990 so we can rule that out. Prior to that we have three choices: Nero, Nero Metallico and Nero Daytona. My understanding is that Nero Daytona is the least black of the three. I'm putting money that the original Testarossa was Nero Daytona.

And yes, I meant straight Gloss, non-metallic black.

Sorry if I seemed a little snippy there with the matt thing there, but I thought maybe you had some sort of process in mind where the basecoat is matt and then you put gloss coats on it

and I'm not sure, maybe it would be a good idea to get a paint sample of Tuxedo Black and Straight Nero to see if theres any real differences, as you might end up liking one more than the other, or they could look the same.

after all if your going the distance you might as well test it out, as in my experences sometimes you go in for one thing, come out with another, its very seldome that the thing you really like ends up being what you set out to go for.

there have been exceptions of course, anything eastwood has used in his movies seems to fit me like a glove, especially his model 29, but when it comes to colors we all see it differently based on age, how good your eyes are and all that, so with colors it always pays to try out samples.

also when it comes to the TR color, I honestly wanted to try and paint a model of the daytona in that color hence my interest in it just to see what it would look like.

and as an FYI I'm going to head over to the mall and switch for the normal wayfarers today, it looks like theres much more of a curvature to it than the new wayfarers which seemed to be too big for me, 55 vs 50 so they might be more of a wrap around than I thought, as the canteens, the oakleys something about the glass just lets too much light in, yet has no glare, its very weird

and its like I prefer the darker tint of the raybans, so my mistake might have been to try other non rayban glasses in the first place, I should have just stuck with my first instinct, the wayfarer.

Edited by Kavinsky

by the way does your basecar have power windows, or the roll ups, as the one in the show had power windows, and with the power windows do they act like what are called toll booth windows, where its one touch to go up and down.

I ask as that was one of the nicest upgrades I've ever had on a 4 door car

by the way does your basecar have power windows, or the roll ups, as the one in the show had power windows, and with the power windows do they act like what are called toll booth windows, where its one touch to go up and down.

I ask as that was one of the nicest upgrades I've ever had on a 4 door car

It's got power windows :-)

Btw, do you know anything about the skid plates? I want my car to spark if it bottoms out on a speed hump like it did on the show. 

Hmm do they act like the one touch up and down ones though, as I think if they dont it could be possible to retrofit that to it.

skidplate wise I dont know, I know I spotted what looked to be a paint guard on the right side during the night chase in Florience Italy on car 4.

and the tow hooks were used for the camera mounts sometimes, those were those two tabs that stuck out on the bottom sometimes, that you could get a view of once in awhile.

gallery_471_5_48654.jpg

car 1 in this photo

and the daytona had a little bit of damaged down there from the jumping, it was banged in a little upwards, which you can see in Defintely Miami at the end when he drives through the sand, as that's the engine block sticking out so it might not of, hell maybe that's what did the engine in in S1

gallery_471_5_87477.jpg

along with some damage to the lower half of the front left flare that came from the countach chase latter on, chipped the flare a little and scrapped up the bottom on that side when he hit that dip

part of the reason why I think the rowley and carl roberts cars may have opted to thin out the flares on the underbelly really.

3034627478_8cbd2e4537_o.jpg

Rowley

Roberts

!BY6Sf5gB2k~$%28KGrHgoH-EEEjlLl%29LvtBKk

!BY6ScwQCGk~$%28KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKkFq

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0069/index.html

the countach however managed to escape unscathed unless you looked at the underbelly of the nose I reckon, funny thing was Harry metcalf noted that on his the thing actually has more room under there than on a zonda. although they've worked in a lift kit now with the Wyra thing, it automatically sits at 3 inches off the road below 30 MPH I think he said.

Edited by Kavinsky

Do you know if a C3 skid plate can be bought off the shelf or will one need to be custom fabricated? 

Another question I have is what everyone uses for the rear trunk lock? I am looking for something that can be integrated into a central locking system and be popped open using a my alarm remote.

Thanks again!

I think any offroad shop can fit it but there is a catch, the car breathes from the bottom, not the front, which might explain why the lower half of car 1 looked like it had a bunch of holes drilled into it when a skidplate was fitted to it for speed zone.

gallery_471_5_139371.jpg

gallery_471_5_49677.jpg

unknown if it has the skidplates in in these photos. although putting in sump guard, another name for the skidplate I believe has this pop up for it

dscn7050.jpg

as to why car 1 had this fitted, they drove it down a flight of stairs in speed zone, plus because of the shocks the car sat slightly higher than Car 4, something that I think they made a point to use as in one of the episodes they drove it on the sidewalk, namely Nobody lives forever. noted by its then chrome windshield trim, which was switched over for S2 with car 1 to match car 4.

also a beauty shot just for the hell of it

gallery_471_5_386924.jpg

truthfully I'd just look into a lift kit for the car rather than spend the money for it really, like maybe raise the nose an inch for certain situations, although I'm not sure just how much space it has between the nose and the ground generally.

and I know the TR is generally about 4.5 inches, and that seemed to work well for harry on the sahara trip, although it could have used an extra inch in certain situations with it.

Edited by Kavinsky