It will be auctioned historic MV Ferrari

prc73

Hello friends!
I just saw this article on a web of Argentina (http://www.infobae.com/2015/07/23/1743472-sera-subastada-la-historica-ferrari-division-miami)

My english is poor, then I suggest google traslate to read it in English.

Será subastada la histórica Ferrari de División Miami

Se trata de la emblemática Testarossa de la serie estadounidense División Miami, que, será subastada entre el 13 y 15 de agosto en Estados Unidos. La unidad fue producida en 1986 y, al margen de su exótico diseño, usaba un V12 de 390 caballos.

Si era una Ferrari Testarossa, y ahora será subastada entre el 13 y el 15 de agosto en Monterey, en el estado de California, Estados Unidos. El postor que se haga con el vehículo no sólo tendrá un auto de película (o de serie) sino un verdadero icono de la industria automotriz.

La Testarossa fue presentada en el Salón de París de 1984, mismo año que empezó la serie. Su diseño cautivo rápidamente al mundo entero, pero su mecánica dejaba sin aliento a sus conductores. Usaba un motor naftero V12 de 4,9 litros que erogaba 390 CV, que asociado a una caja manual de cinco marchas (con la mítica corredera al desnudo) superaba los 290 km/h.

La Testarossa que estuvo guardada desde el final de serie en 1990, rematada por la casa Mecum Auctions, está en perfecto estado de conservación y su odómetro registra sólo 25.950 kilómetros. El único detalle es que el famoso blanco de la tira no es original, el modelo era negro pero para mejorar las tomas nocturnas el director la hizo pintar. Aunque hoy por hoy, seguramente valga más blanca que negra.

post-659-0-28566500-1437660401_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-87302800-1437660471_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-12509500-1437660487_thumb.jpg

post-659-0-89601500-1437660505_thumb.jpg

same guy again, not it, hate to sound like a broken record but the details are wrong when it comes to the interior

dash and center should look like it does here

not black, creama leather interior, and reddish carpets, like it has on the floor matt, but not anywhere else

gallery_471_5_95142.jpg

gallery_471_5_119073.jpg

Brightened FYI

gallery_471_5_32599.jpg

ugh how many times have I debunked this car, between here and twitter, its gotta be about 6 times by now, no 7, as it poped up on chris harris's twitter feed

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ruin your day and your "broken record" Kavinsky but this is THE REAL DEAL, has been authenticated by Ferrari Classiche

The deatails are perfect. I understand your opinions, but if Ferrari North America and Ferrari Classiche have all authenticated the Ferrari I am going to have to go with them.

Buy hey lets stay positive, this awesome car will be auctioned off in one day to a brand new owner of her in Monterey Mecum Auction.

I am super excited to see what it goes for.

No I am not the actual owner but I know him prsonally and am not trying to hype up the car came across this post and wanted to set the record straight for anyone that was deceived, yes the carpets could have been changed possibly that i dont know, but carpets do not authenticate a car, the engine codes, the vin codes, the frame numbers, are the ones that DO, and this car IS IT,

So lets all enjoy the fact that a real miami vice fan will hopefully get this car and do us proud and have it displayed in a car museum where it belongs just like the other one in the swap shop...

Enjoy folks..

You can watch the mecum auction live tommorrow online when it goes through the auction tomorrow afternoon. It is number S56, lets all hope it does well...

some other cool news that I found online too:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iconic-ferrari-miami-vice-sale-210044826.html;_ylt=AwrBT750Bc5VUCcAhURXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/miami-vice-ferarri-814843

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/events/20150810/classic-car-week-tourism-bureau-braces-for-impact

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/06/miami-vice-ferrari-to-sell-at-auction.html

Kavinsky

Captain

• photo-471.jpg?_r=1429560672
  • Members
  • major.png
  • 3,370 posts

DONATOR

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

same guy again, not it, hate to sound like a broken record but the details are wrong when it comes to the interior

dash and center should look like it does here

Not sure still how your VIN numbers were authenticated, nor what process FC or FNA would have gone through, but as one in here who has seen many pretenders for the cars used in the Series, you can make believers out of many of us if there exists a Sale contract between Universal Studios and the subsequent Buyer after the show's run.

I recall the previous posts in here when this was auctioned on Ebay and I cannot recall any Contracts shown...but there were numerous hand written carbon dealer service invoices and such.

ANOTHER ONE, WOW

OKAY TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE MECUM SITE...

At the dawn of the television age the cowboy western ruled the screen. Heroes wore white, carried guns and rode their brave and faithful steeds into battle against the Black-clad forces of evil. Then came the police-detective drama, in which the hero traded his horse for the latest automobile, almost always one that outperformed the rest.

This archetypal pairing reached its zenith in 1984 in the style-setting Miami Vice, which followed the exploits of Miami Dade undercover detectives Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) and Ricardo Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas) in their ongoing fight against the Miami underworld.

For the first two seasons and the first episode of the third, Sonny’s trusty mount was a Black Ferrari Daytona Spyder, in reality a Corvette-based replica that soon became the target of a lawsuit brought by Ferrari against series producer Universal Studios. Legend has it that to settle the dispute, Universal agreed to accept two Black Testarossa Berlinettas for filming on the condition that the Black Daytona disappear from the world, on screen, in a prodigious detonation by Hellfire missile.

Its replacement appeared soon afterward (repainted White at the behest of director Michael Mann for better visibility in night scenes), and it immediately elevated the Ferrari Testarossa to the same cult status enjoyed by other regular series props, from Ray Ban sunglasses to Armani jackets, Scarab speedboats and a virtual armory of firearms.

Serial number 63631, this 1986 Ferrari Testarossa is possibly the most famous Ferrari in the popular culture as the Miami Vice Hero Car. Originally finished in Metallic Black, this earlymono specchio or single-mirror model Testarossa was delivered new with the 4.9L/390 HP flat-12 engine, 5-speed gearbox, Beige leather interior, power windows, locks and seats, cruise control and air conditioning. After the series ended in 1989 the car was retired and placed in storage from 1990 to 2015.

Now showing 16,124 miles and authenticated by Ferrari North America and Ferrari Classiche, it is also documented with service records from Shelton Ferrari in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where it recently received an engine-out service at a cost of $8,000. Crockett and Tubbs may have ridden off into the sunset, but the Miami Vice Testarossa remains an enduring icon of one of the most influential television series of all time.

HIGHLIGHTS

- Possibly the most famous Ferrari known to exist 
- True Hero Car from Miami Vice 
- 16,124 actual miles 
- Stored from 1990-2015 
- V-12 engine 
- 5-speed transmission 
- Cruise control and air conditioning 
- Power windows, locks and seats 
- Rare single flying mirror 
- Certified by Ferrari North America 
- Certificazione di autenticita from Ferrari Classiche of Italy 
- Recent engine out service at a cost of $8,000 
- Original service records from Shelton Ferrari showing service for Miami Vice/Universal Studios 
- Recently featured in the Chris Brown/Pitbull music video "Fun"

YOUR ASKING FOR A CONTRACT? THERE IS AN ORIGINAL TITLE FROM UNIVERSAL

DO YOUR RESEARCH MY FRIEND, YOU AND KAVINSKY BOTH ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CONTINUALLY TRY AND DECIEVE PEOPLE ON HERE...?

I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WULD BE SUPPORTIVE AND ARE TRUE MIAMI VICE FANS??? 

Nice commentary and yes I saw the hand-written service records.

Where is this TITLE From Universal?   Is it available for viewing?

As to deceiving anyone, I will leave that to the numerous pretenders who have claimed to own the actual Daytonas and Testas used on the show, and there  are many. And btw, challenging someone to produce documentation is NOT the same as deceiving. The deception is the inability of the other to produce verifiable proof.

If you had read the thread about how the #1 Daytona was verified as owned by Volo, you would see that proof was obtained by comparing the VIN number on the frame to a contract between Universal and subsequent owner for Car 4 that referenced both. No one was deceiving anyone.

From what he told me, he has the original title showing ownership from universal to the next owner for sale.

I dont think he is posting that online anywhere and I sure done have a copy of it. So say all you want it just isnt right for you to be downing a car because a carpet color is different.

The guy has produced stacks o receipts and docs showing the vins and service to the car itself autheticating it, i gues your the one of the few that wants to double it, I understand there are lots of fakes out there and you have reason to be doubtful but man Ferrari North America and Classiche took this car flew it into Italy and checked it from bumper to bumper, verified it both ways up and down,. Do you know who Ferrari Classiche is? if they check it is done deal. thousands of dollars were spent getting the miami vice car to italy and back for the completion. So to answer your questions yes all titles docs contracts verifications are all present with the car, if you want to see it in person you can fly into california to view it, I dont personally have the doc to show you but I have been around him enough to have seen the whole process and the money spent into getting this car ready for auction. I wish you well. and try to be more positive buddy this is a good thing that is going to happen here for the world to see... 

Thanks for further info on this. I just checked the Mecum site as well and there is one photo showing a collection of documents; most appear to be the dealer service invoices that were already discussed in a previous thread. I couldn't see any Title or Bill of Sale docs, as was also first discussed when you posted in here some months back. And since the VIN number has already been made public, then I'm not sure why the Seller wouldn't make the Title and Contract available as well.

But if they are present at the auction then the Buyers should be able to make their own comparison, and the Seller should get a good price from a true fan.

To me, service invoices can add to provenance but a Contract with a Title referencing a VIN that can be traced to the frame and other components is ironclad. . As I said, that's how Daytona Car 1 was verified.

Yes I have seen a number of Daytonas and some Testas claiming to have been used on the Series and all have been debunked, other than the Volo car and now perhaps this Testa. I say "perhaps" only because neither me or anyone on this forum has actually seen the Title or Contract to verify authenticity. Again, if it exists and matches then more power to the seller.

Thanks for the advice but I am positive enough. This again is not about who's positive or anyone 'slamming' the car. This is about asking reasonable questions that a reasonable buyer should be asking if they are planning on shelling out big bucks for a car with significant potential history.

Yes, a number of us have a healthy degree of skepticism on this forum, because of the aforementioned numerous pretenders, and I think all buyers of a car with potential history would be wise to consider that.  Good luck on the car's auction.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

yeah we want to see these cars survive and prosper for the next generation, not slam them down and say their fake, but the interior colors dont line up, we dont know if the vin shows the proper official color the cars most likely came in, Nero Daytona, black metalic, we dont know if theres signs of the camera mounts on the frame work, body, the bumper mounts

signs that the rear window was removed and covered in plastic, we do not have enough information to verify if this is the car or not, and Car 4 and Car 1 show their own signs of being on the show

Car 4, the nose damage, a dent in the hood from where the camera mount lay (which i dont think even Camera Daytona has noticed) marks on the back of the seat from where the stripe was, the light amplifiers, Car 1, the overly high nose, the steering rack, the very rare and hard to find metal zenith wire wheel caps in gold and silver.

and apparently the door frames are still intact from its run on the show, which is entirely possible, despite the thing being revamped and fiddled with to hide its identity

and your car just doesnt seem to show any of that, it appears to be a white one mirror car that was ordered with a crema interior, black carpet, black dash and used as a universal studios promo car at universal studios in california

rather than a Black Metalic car that was delivered to the stats in cali, where the photo for the 1987 callender was taken with it in its original paintwork

1352507536_97a3fbc628_o.jpg

shipped or driven to Miami, used in one episode with its original paintjob

gallery_471_5_96837.jpg

gallery_471_5_29024.jpg

gallery_471_5_48252.jpg

then painted white in ft lauderdale, now making it a car with a crema interior, rust colored carpets, and what looks to be a dark Tobacco highlight dash, at 2:18

and your car unlike the one in Miami's swap shop does not have any sort of damage markings on it's front spoiler like it did in Miracle man

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhbower/15443066319/

15443066319_196f133fa0_o.jpg

gallery_471_5_13554.jpg

gallery_471_5_166483.jpg

19209380003_f4603cf5f8_b.jpg

I mean it just seems like the circumstancial evidence is against this being one of the miami TR's

Edited by Kavinsky

If you're talking about Lima's car, it's legit. Rock solid provenance and title going all the way back to Universal. I tried to buy it at one point but the money he was asking was beyond stupid.

if lima is the guy who owns the swap shop one then yeah, as its got the proper wear marks, interior colors and it is in Miami, and he also owns a 918, FXX, Black Testarossa, a 275 and a proper daytona spider in the same colors as the one in one way ticket

although not the same one as I think that was a freshly done conversion back then, probably just because of vices influence with it.

so he's the most likely one to have the influence and the money to come across such a car, and you have to be on really good terms with ferrari NA to get your hands on an FXX.

Edited by Kavinsky

No, I'm referring to the one up for auction. Peter Lima is the owner and tried to sell it on Ebay recently for $1.75 million. The car is legit. Wish the same could be said for Lima. 

Argh.  So the highest bid was $500k?  Far cry from the $1.75m.

Cartitleloans, "A guy told me.....".  There is no pratical reason for the seller (you?) not to produce two critical documents.  First is a COA from Universal and second, the title with Universal Studios as the owner.  All of the current 'documentation' does not show provenance.  And provenance is the only thing that will destinguish this car from a nice 86 to a $1.75 Hero car.  Was it a promo car Vs. Film car ?   Are the provided documents bogus?

The serious bidders knew this, thats why bidding didnt hit proper levels.  TR's have been going through the roof the last 2 years.  This would have been THE car to own at Pebble Beach.  But the documents dont bolster the claims.......and the bids reflected it.

Many mistakes from the Mecham site:

Power seats? Cruise Control?  I need to double check mine..........cant find the switches for either.  Certified by Ferrari NA.....they certified what?  VIN, thats it.  If Universal certified that VIN XXXXXX was used in the prodution as the primary filming car of Miami Vice, the car would have been sold at 7 digits yesterday.

"Flew it into Italy for........"  The car can be certified at any Approved Certified Service center.  You are the owner and you are the owner of the pawn shop/ car title loan company in FL.  I showed this on the Fchat thread.  The internet cuts both ways my friend.

I watched all of the Mecum auction action on TV.  The "daytime" auction broadcast was delayed and shown on NBCSN in the evening.  On Saturday, they ended the broadcast on the car before the Testarossa and on Sunday evening they started with the car that was 2 numbers beyond the Testarossa.  There is a video on another thread on this web site of the car selling, but I think it was copied from the Internet broadcast.  Did anyone see it auctioned on the TV broadcast?

I also never heard any talk about the TR from the TV commentators.  They went on and on about the older Ferraris and other high dollar cars.  But, the TR was the only one written up by many publications and even mentioned on the NBC national news - but not really promoted by Mecum or the NBCSN folks.  Am I wrong - did I miss it???

One question. Would YOU spend $600,000 - $1.75 million dollars on this car without a COA from Universal, and / or a title with Universal Studios as the owner?

Neither would anyone else. 

In my opinion, the car is legit from the point of view of provenance. The evidence for VIN 63631 being one of the two original cars is pretty much solid especially when viewed with the service records and receipts from Shelton. I am a huge collector and industry maker of original screen used movie props as well as replicas and I know that COAs are not worth the paper they are written on. Trust me on this. There are many reasons why studios don't issue COAs for various assets but it is patently obvious from looking at the supporting documentation and using your brain you can see what a piece is. In the business we say 'the proof is in the piece'.  The reason why this car is not worth 7 figures is because the market deems it not worth it. And it isn't. Even with full title it would not get more than $500k and I am actually amazed that Lima got as much as he did as quite honestly, he's done well. The car is probably worth the price of a comparable good condition Testarossa with perhaps a 20% premium for the Vice connection. No more. I had a figure in my mind that I pitched to Lima but he turned it down and this auction price has pretty much vindicated me. The problem is not the car. It's the lack of title and that is legally a difficult one. It may turn out that Lima doesn't actually have the right to sell it and that possibility of a law suit is what may have deterred bidders. I don't think so however as the price it finished at was a fair one.

hmm so the data shows it could be one of the cars, either a promo or a screen used one from the era but the lack of title and information beyond that puts it into a high grey area of that on par with car 1.

Edited by Kavinsky

hmm so the data shows it could be one of the cars, either a promo or a screen used one from the era but the lack of title and information beyond that puts it into a high grey area of that on par with car 1.

http://s619.photobucket.com/user/realmuscle1/media/1986%20Ferrari%20miami%20vice/DSC07228_zps9c14bc69.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Not just could be. It's virtually a dead cert. The time frame is correct as the car was delivered to Universal in April 1986 and filming for When Irish Eyes are smiling started in July 1986. The Shelton service receipts are all made out to Universal at the MV production office in Miami and the number plate listed on the receipts is AIF 00M. It's the hero car.

Hmm then what happened to the interior? why the differences? I mean the dash color is a pretty big difference. did it just fade to black over time? and why did the carpets get changed over to black? and what of the owner after it left the show, did he change those?

I mean there is alot of unanswered questions here, or did both cars get delivered in different interior specs to see what worked best for the show?

in my defense though, he never brought any of that up, just that this is the car from the show, showed us a minor spec sheet and expected us to take it as is.

I mean that is alot to take on faith, and these are the said photos and spec sheet

gallery_471_5_52707.jpg

gallery_471_5_4654.jpg

gallery_471_5_35037.jpg

I mean I dont even remember him giving us a photo of the interior I think.

plus just doing a quick google search nothing really showed up imagine wise for the paint, until you put in fer901/c

the interior leather does show up as cream, and the carpet code does match what it should be, but still why the change? and what of the dash color? and what of Vernice there? I thought it was a latter color?

Edited by Kavinsky

In my opinion, the car is legit from the point of view of provenance. The evidence for VIN 63631 being one of the two original cars is pretty much solid especially when viewed with the service records and receipts from Shelton. I am a huge collector and industry maker of original screen used movie props as well as replicas and I know that COAs are not worth the paper they are written on. Trust me on this. There are many reasons why studios don't issue COAs for various assets but it is patently obvious from looking at the supporting documentation and using your brain you can see what a piece is. In the business we say 'the proof is in the piece'.  The reason why this car is not worth 7 figures is because the market deems it not worth it. And it isn't. Even with full title it would not get more than $500k and I am actually amazed that Lima got as much as he did as quite honestly, he's done well. The car is probably worth the price of a comparable good condition Testarossa with perhaps a 20% premium for the Vice connection. No more. I had a figure in my mind that I pitched to Lima but he turned it down and this auction price has pretty much vindicated me. The problem is not the car. It's the lack of title and that is legally a difficult one. It may turn out that Lima doesn't actually have the right to sell it and that possibility of a law suit is what may have deterred bidders. I don't think so however as the price it finished at was a fair one.

I didn't see mention of the title issue in either the Ebay listings or the Mecum auction listing.  Does this mean that the current owner took the car as collateral on a loan, which was not repaid.  Thus, he has taken ownership but does not have a valid title for the car?

I didn't see mention of the title issue in either the Ebay listings or the Mecum auction listing.  Does this mean that the current owner took the car as collateral on a loan, which was not repaid.  Thus, he has taken ownership but does not have a valid title for the car?

Reading between the lines and in my conversations with Lima, this is what I believe is the case.