Any deleted scenes on DVD, or expected later on?

Vice Immersion

I was going through the show's wikia website, and for a few of the episodes, it mentions that they filmed particular scenes, but were eventually scrapped.  One example is in the episode "Freefall", it states within the "Notes" section of the webpage and at the 10th bullet point, there were two other alternate scenes filmed where both Crockett and Tubbs die, or just Tubbs die when they confront Baker.  Another example is in the episode "Give A Little, Take a Little", it states that there was a scene of Crockett and Tubbs speaking with Noogie, but was ultimately cut.

Do the current DVDs have any of the deleted scenes from the series?  Are there any future re-releases or possible Blu-Ray releases that are rumored or expected to have them?  I'm wondering if I should wait to buy them.  ...Though I won't be surprised if NBC/Universal keeps releasing more "complete" collections of the series as time goes on (adding more featurettes and commentaries), to keep fans consistently buying their product, like most companies do for movies and other TV shows.

Edited by Vice Immersion

I don't think the alternate endings of Freefall were ever filmed. Just ideas before filming started.

It'd be cool if they had the unedited "love scenes" from Hooker By Crook and French Twist though. We don't need adhere to 80s TV censorship laws these days. :o

Afraid none of the current DVDs have deleted scenes or that much in the way of special features outside of season one's few featurettes. Haven't heard of any plans to release the series on Blu-ray and Universal's Blu-ray output has been pretty poor and infrequent compared to others. I'd say the cautious thing to do would be to either buy the DVDs when they are at a lower price on sale or if you're in the U.S. look into Hulu as they often have episodes available to view for free (the last one isn't recommended for those with data caps or slower connections though, Hulu is kind of a pain sometimes) given the nature of the home video market right now which has been slowing down due to the growth of streaming.

I have owned all of the DVD sets for a few years, and as Agent 47 said, the collections are lacking any bonus material, except for season one. I have always been disappointed with the fact none of them include deleted scenes, blooper reels, behind the scenes segments, etc. How amazing it would be to have features on the creation of some of the stunts, how they were setup and executed, including raw footage. Also, how about some director's commentary? Many films include these, and it is interesting to hear the "how and why" scenes were put together. The possibilities seem endless.  And while perhaps unlikely, I will hope one day we do get a deluxe package of some sort with hours of bonus material. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

There was a scene from "Calderone's Demise" that was filmed and broadcast 2 different ways. Only the real old timers like myself might remember this. It was after Sonny was taken at the beach party. Tubbs and Angelina were having a conversation on the beach. Tubbs was telling her that her father (Calderone) had his partner (Sonny) and also: "Your father had a cop shot to death in New York city...and that cop was my brother!"   The scene was filmed in 2 different takes. The dialog was the same but Tubbs was yelling in one take and a bit calmer in the other.   One take was broadcast on the original airing of "Calderone's Demise"  Later on when the show went into reruns for the season "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise" were combined and shown as a 2 hour NBC Sunday Night Movie and retitled "The Return of Calderone"    

Unfortunately there are no deleted scenes or extras on any of the DVD releases.  It's been a while since I've watched them but I will check my original VHS recordings against the DVD releases to see if they are different.  Stay tuned!

• Like 7

I would imagine they had deleted scenes for every single ep in the series.  Isn't that how filming TV works?  You film a bunch of stuff and then editors narrow it down to the proper length.

There are two documented clips that were not included in the DVD.  One was in Hit List.  When the drug dealer is under surveillance, his girl shows off her new parachute pants and he says something like "If you ever wear that again I'll kill you."  The second one has slipped my mind.

• Administrators

One was in Hit List.  When the drug dealer is under surveillance, his girl shows off her new parachute pants and he says something like "If you ever wear that again I'll kill you."  The second one has slipped my mind.

"If I ever catch you wearing parachute pants I'll throw you out of a plane"  (remember it well!)

The other missing clip was from "Heart of Darkness"  When Artie drops off Crockett, Tubbs and Jimmy, Jimmy sings "There's no business like show business" as he walks to and  gets into his car. That clip was deleted from the DVD.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Really?  You didn't even notice the different camera angles? The 2nd version has the camera going back and forth from Tubbs to Angelina. The 1st version is filmed totally from the one side view. There are also differences in the way they talk. In the 2nd version Tubbs does more screaming. In one version Tubbs says: "For God's sake woman, why don't you open up your mind and your eyes!"  In the other version he leaves out "Eyes"

The differences occur until Tubbs says: "Your father has been an international crime figure for the past 20 years!"  After that, the 2 versions are the same.

Good job Ivory!

• Like 3

Really?  You didn't even notice the different camera angles? The 2nd version has the camera going back and forth from Tubbs to Angelina. The 1st version is filmed totally from the one side view. There are also differences in the way they talk. In the 2nd version Tubbs does more screaming. In one version Tubbs says: "For God's sake woman, why don't you open up your mind and your eyes!"  In the other version he leaves out "Eyes"

The differences occur until Tubbs says: "Your father has been an international crime figure for the past 20 years!"  After that, the 2 versions are the same.

LOL, no wonder I didn't see the difference.  I was watching only the end part, over and over.  Now that I watched the whole clip I totally see it.

It worked for me just now.  Did you use his last name, 9 letters?

I don't know who the argentinian is. I copied and pasted the phrase "The argentinian's surname in small letters" to try that as the password lol.

Thanks SG.Just watched 'em. I can see why they used the medium shot take as the acting is a bit better. Plus by having less of the "A shot/B shot" angle takes, you avoid the scene having that "Soap Opera style" look to it lol.

• Like 1