The Italian Job (Both versions, 1969 and 2003)

Detective_Crockett

My all time favorite movie has to be The Italian Job, classic movie with Michael Caine and so many memorable quotes! and music that gets stuck in your head! the car chase scene is awesome and the use of the Mini's, so patriotic and British! (like myself)

And, the remake is a good movie (loved the reference they made in the movie to Vice) not many people are fond of the remake but I actually enjoyed it..

What about you guys?

• Like 1

I must say I enjoyed the original far more than the remake.  Although the remake does have one of my favorite actors (Donald Sutherland) it failed to make an impression on me. The Micheal Caine version is worth repeated viewings. 

• Like 1

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

I love the original. Quirky, comic fun with a great cast to boot. The remake isn't a a bad film either but I think the Englishness made the original what it is (I'm an American in Florida but this even makes me feels patriotic in a British manner) besides of course the great stunt work and Michael Caine.

Edited by agent 47
  • Like 1

what they mentioned vice in the remake? also its quite sad that they didnt get a chance to make a sequel, the story goes that it just didnt have enough american appeal as they botched the marketing, hence the poster with the Tommy gun (as the story goes it was supposed to be far more in the line of Get Carter Originally but it just grew into what it is today) so they didnt opt to continue the story, hence why the remake is basically the LA Job to get around that

even though its a stupid worry.

and one of the endings that they talked about doing was quite humorous, they get to switzerland, get through all that and meet the bank manager, chair swivels around, and its the Mob boss who trashed the fucking Aston and the Jags.

the other was they run the bus down and the gold goes out the back, to the mafia waiting below, and the idea was that in using this the movie would be about getting it back from said mafia, and this is probably how the sequel would have started.

and its just one of those movies, where you remember it forever after the first viewing really.

also the aston and the jags? there alive and well thankfully, although the lancia that stood in for the aston as there was a pyrotechnics malfunction that trashed the interior, wasnt so lucky. although 3,000 made vs like 40, so meh

just dumb luck really, hell I would wadger god was like NO you do not destroy that aston! and threw a lightning bolt at it to stop them from throwing it off the cliff, only to end up hitting the car by accident lol

Edited by Kavinsky

what they mentioned vice in the remake? also its quite sad that they didnt get a chance to make a sequel, the story goes that it just didnt have enough american appeal as they botched the marketing, hence the poster with the Tommy gun (as the story goes it was supposed to be far more in the line of Get Carter Originally but it just grew into what it is today) so they didnt opt to continue the story, hence why the remake is basically the LA Job to get around that

Yeah, in the U.S. it was blamed on the fact that soccer was at the center of the plot which was virtually unknown in America at the time although Michael Caine believes it was the advertisement because the film was made aimed to be accessible for all ages.

"When I arrived in Los Angeles to promote the picture I was stunned to open a newspaper and see an image of a naked woman sitting on the lap of a gangster who was holding a machine gun. The genius who thought that up was sending such a wrong signal about this G-rated caper I knew immediately that The Italian Job was doomed, so I got on the next plane and came home to England. After months of hard work, sweat and tears, it can sometimes only take one small mistake like that to screw the whole thing up." - Michael Caine in his autobiography "What's It All About?"

the funny thing is I like the poster too lol but if that was the primary advertisement for it, well its little wonder, I mean they atleast had the good sense to put the mini's on the poster of the new one.

Hell I would think the ideal poster for it would have been the 3 mini's loading up the gold in Turin, with the plot line, A Rush Hour Heist, The Tourin Police and Mafia, Vs a Batch of Stunt Drivers lead by Michael Caine, Can they pull it off?

Find out in the Italian Job!

or 3 mini's, 1,000 pounds of stolen Gold Bulllion chased through the middle of italy during the worst traffic jam in history

Can they pull it off? Find out in the italian job!

Edited by Kavinsky

italian-job.jpg

This poster? yeah it's pretty stupid..makes no sense..the film isn't anything like this poster shows at all, very misleading...Michael Caine was a cockney gangster in the film, but the loveable rouge type, not the kill you or slit your throat type gangster.

what they mentioned vice in the remake?

After they load up the gold and have their toast in the mountains and are driving the van with Velvet Revolver's cover of Money by Pink Floyd playing...Seth Green's character says to the gang ''You should have seen Rob (Jason Statham) driving that boat he was like.... Don Johnson.''  and Mark Wahlberg turns around and laughs, and then someone else says, ''Oh yeah, from Brixton.''

Because in the movie they used a boat to getaway from the Police for the gold heist.

and one of the endings that they talked about doing was quite humorous, they get to switzerland, get through all that and meet the bank manager, chair swivels around, and its the Mob boss who trashed the fucking Aston and the Jags.

the other was they run the bus down and the gold goes out the back, to the mafia waiting below, and the idea was that in using this the movie would be about getting it back from said mafia, and this is probably how the sequel would have started.

I loved the Mafia in the movie, the actor who played the Boss was fantastic,correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he was in the Godfather 3...but the Mafia themselves were kinda funny, why on earth were some of them wearing limo driver hats? it's a shame in the actual movie the Mafia weren't too much of a threat, all they really did was kill Beckerman (Beckerman left his plans to Michael Caine anyway because he knew the Mafia would catch wind of it) and they destroyed the Aston and the two Jags ;( but the group had the coach and the England bus, and the Mini's.. and they didn't seem to do much about the threat on the city, they tried to stop the gang, but the traffic jam stopped them in time, they were pretty weak in my opinion and defeated easily, they should have been a much bigger threat than what they were..like maybe try to stop them near the end before the cliffhanger. 

As many of you know I am not a fan of remakes unless they are sensational... but..... I have to admit I liked both of these films.

The original was very 60's and had an aura of the era. The stunts were great, especially driving on the roof of that domed building, and the music and styles were cool.

The remake was also good and the story was updated and well done. It's not often Hollywood gets it right but this new version was just as good as the original and are a great pair to watch back to back on a rainy day.