Vice booted off Netflix :(

Guest MetroVice

Guest MetroVice

I've been enjoying Miami Vice on Netflix the past couple years but yesterday I was once again in the mood for another Vice fix via my Netflix account when I suddenly realized I couldn't find it. A quick search revealed the dreaded "Miami Vice is not available to stream" response. After another quick search of Yahoo I read why. Seems Netflix gave Vice the boot last month (July 2015) to make way for "new content" - I know it's all about variety and fortunately I have the series on DVD so I'm still able to satisfy my cravings but it saddened me to know one of the biggest, most popular online streaming companies would give the boot to such an iconic television show so many people seem to love and enjoy.

Edited by MetroVice
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Well, just like any TV station, they have to pay for the license to air it. If not many people are watching it, and they aren't getting their moneys worth when it comes to views/ratings, then there really isn't any point in keeping it up there and paying Universal for it. 

Unfortunately, that's how it has to be.

It's sad  ;( .......because even though I have the tapes & DVDs of every episode.....I would like to know I can share an episode with a friend who watched it the same time I did, on TV or Netflix.

I feel all alone watching Miami Vice except for the fans on this web site!   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

When I watched Michael Mann on The Director's Chair on El Rey a few days ago, Robert Rodriguez mentioned to MM that Miami Vice was running on his network and doing very well, he said.  Hopefully it continues that way.  It's nice to be surprised as to which episode is coming on, instead of just picking one from a dvd.  I know it's not the same as streaming on Netflix, but at least it's being shown somewhere.  

• Like 1

I tried watching the show on Netflix when it was on there but for some reason the quality was really bad so I ended up just putting in my DVDS.

When I watched Michael Mann on The Director's Chair on El Rey a few days ago, Robert Rodriguez mentioned to MM that Miami Vice was running on his network and doing very well, he said.  Hopefully it continues that way.  It's nice to be surprised as to which episode is coming on, instead of just picking one from a dvd.  I know it's not the same as streaming on Netflix, but at least it's being shown somewhere.  

;(  Rodriguez should have asked him about a MV bluray…Nooooooooooooooooo

Yes, some of the eps I've been watching lately require a paid subscription on Hulu, but are available for free on NBC.com. 

COZI TV is showing "Miami Vice" week nights and 2 episodes on Saturday night.

Yes! I am currently spending a few days at my mountain cabin, and have a few cable TV channels here. Last night I was dozing off on the couch, considering bed and had this "COZI" channel on, when up comes a season 3 episode of Miami Vice! 

• Administrators

Yes, some of the eps I've been watching lately require a paid subscription on Hulu, but are available for free on NBC.com. 

The great thing about Hulu Plus is that Season 1 is in 720p HD, and it looks amazing compared to the DVDs. Not sure if they've remastered the rest of the series yet.

I might have to subscribe then!  Does Hulu leave out the commercials for Hulu Plus?  

Bought S1-3 on DVD a few weeks ago (new and on the single-sided discs) with S4-5 still in my shopping cart on Amazon, and must say the image quality has been a bit disappointing.  Sure, we didn't have HD TV in the 80s and I've never felt the need to complain when watching old shows before, but guess I've gotten used to much higher image resolution on TV in the past few years.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I might have to subscribe then!  Does Hulu leave out the commercials for Hulu Plus?  

Bought S1-3 on DVD a few weeks ago (new and on the single-sided discs) with S4-5 still in my shopping cart on Amazon, and must say the image quality has been a bit disappointing.  Sure, we didn't have HD TV in the 80s and I've never felt the need to complain when watching old shows before, but guess I've gotten used to much image resolution on TB in the past few years.

I think so, I'm not sure. We don't have Hulu in Australia. 

Yeah, the DVD's are quite fuzzy, it seems. From what I've seen, the Hulu Plus episodes are crystal clear in some scenes.

02dcd35f66.png

I'm still amazed that there aren't any bluray releases. 

Is it not in HD with standard Hulu?

Wow, that is crystal-clear!

Hmmm, I don't *think* so, but am unsure.  That sounds stupid I know!  The past couple of weeks I've been watching S1 and the eps I've watched have not been available on standard Hulu, so I've watched on NBC.com.  Also watching on my laptop not on the (HD)TV.  Will have to re-watch a couple of S4-5 eps on standard Hulu to compare (what a hardship!)

Guest MetroVice

I agree.

Edited by MetroVice

Seems Hulu thinks the episodes are in HD:

• The episode "Evan" from Season 1 and "The Rising Sun of Death" from Season 4 are not currently available due to legal rights issues.
  • Subscribe to Hulu to watch the full series run of all 5 seasons in HD on your TV, mobile and computer.

Wonder if they truly are!

Edited by sjako

• Administrators

Seems Hulu thinks the episodes are in HD:

• The episode "Evan" from Season 1 and "The Rising Sun of Death" from Season 4 are not currently available due to legal rights issues.
  • Subscribe to Hulu to watch the full series run of all 5 seasons in HD on your TV, mobile and computer.

Wonder if they truly are!

Well I don't know, I've never seen any footage other than from Season 1. Could be that they now have all seasons done because it has been over a year since HD episodes of season 1 were discovered.

I'd love to check somehow, or if somebody is already a subscriber and has a TV or a console with the Hulu app, it would be great if someone could check and compare with the DVD?

Maybe I can sign up for a free trial and use a VPN to trick it into thinking I'm in the US.

Bought S1-3 on DVD a few weeks ago (new and on the single-sided discs) with S4-5 still in my shopping cart on Amazon, and must say the image quality has been a bit disappointing.  Sure, we didn't have HD TV in the 80s and I've never felt the need to complain when watching old shows before, but guess I've gotten used to much higher image resolution on TV in the past few years.

I still get commercials with hulu plus, which sucks..... 

It's sad  ;( .......because even though I have the tapes & DVDs of every episode.....I would like to know I can share an episode with a friend who watched it the same time I did, on TV or Netflix.

I feel all alone watching Miami Vice except for the fans on this web site!   :thumbsup:

Exactly Tony! No one that I know likes it either, except for the awesome people on here :)

• Like 2

Exactly Tony! No one that I know likes it either, except for the awesome people on here :)

The problem is, MV86, most people are forgetting there was a series called Miami Vice........If it's not advertised or played on TV, it is no longer in the public's eye.

• Like 4