Don Johnson: I Had a Big Ego During 'Miami Vice' Days ABC News

Miami Vice 1984

I don't know if anyone saw this. I couldn't find a topic when I searched for it. So here it is.

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Aug 5, 2015, 2:10 PM ET

By ALICIA RANCILIO Associated Press
Time has humbled Don Johnson.

It's been 30 years since his TV cop hit "Miami Vice" went on the air and the actor says he's changed since then.

"I was a brash, terrified, young man with a big ego and a lot of ambition," Johnson, now 65, told a panel of TV critics Wednesday.

"I would like to think that since then I've let those things that don't really serve you kind of fall to the wayside, and really for me, it's about the joy and enthusiasm that comes with being given the opportunity that comes with being here to do this."

Johnson was promoting his ABC drama, "Blood & Oil." It's set against the biggest oil find in American history in a North Dakota town, where a millionaire is said to be made every day.

If it sounds like "Dallas," Johnson said it's not.

"The only thing we have in common is tangentially oil is a part of it," he said.

The cast includes Chace Crawford, Scott Michael Foster and Amber Valletta.

"Blood & Oil" premieres Sept. 27 at 9 p.m. EDT.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/don-johnson-big-ego-miami-vice-days-32902747

• Like 2

Phil had an even bigger ego what with his EGOT plan and referring to himself in the third person

You can't spell EGOT without Ego  :)

DJ's always been able to laugh at himself, but it's good to see him apparently relaxed, happy, and excited about a new gig :)

• Like 1

What went wrong since Phillip Michael Thomas didn't achieve his goal. ?(

Back then he must have had higher expectations, then what was realistic.

Of course hard work and a strong will can get you there, to reach your dream, but with the plan Phillip had you also definitely need some luck and the right connections. Despite the EGOT plan to me Phillip seemed more as a down to earth kind of guy on Miami Vice, then Don.

But anyway I am glad that Don finally admits he had a big ego and was a brash guy. :)  And I don't blame him about his ego, some of it is needed in a tough business as show business, at least if you want to be a big star and have lots of ambition. Just my opinion. :)

Even though he sometimes was arrogant in his way of being back then, I still like him.

Today he is still a charming guy with sense of humour, luckfully that hasen't changed.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 4

Good question about why PMT wasn't a real success after Vice.  He was and still is a talented, super nice person.  Maybe it was typecasting.  IOW producers thought audiences couldn't see him as anyone but Tubbs.  He was too associated with that role.  Maybe it was bad luck as well.  I constantly see actors who are lacking on talent, looks etc who are stars because they got the right roles.  Things are changing now but 25 - 30 years ago there were not many acting roles for Black men.  I have some of his music but it's not rock and his music style is not that popular.  Too bad he didn't have Johnny Mathis' song writer.

Glad to see Don has mellowed.  Age can do that to you.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 4

Imho, it's often the environment of the show biz, which leads people in the wrong direction. Maybe even in their 30s some stars are not mature enough to handle great success properly.

Though I surely don't live in that "celebrity-bubble" and I'm not nearly as successful as Don or Philip were, even I needed to fall down harder to become more humble and to appreciate for what I've got.

RB aka ACamPuller (I'm glad I wasn't around for most of the drama at the old .org lol) Did say (without any real malice) DJ would stay in his trailer like a diva. The crew really didn't mind. They got paid OT lol. He said Edward James Olmos put DJ in his place once with a wise-crack. I can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with signing an autograph for EJO's nephew I think. RB did say, when I asked, DJ was a professional, well-prepared ,and could communicate what he wanted when he directed.

Edited by Miami Vice 1984

My thoughts are to really succeed in show business (or any profession for that matter) you need to be confident.

Some may mistake confidence for arrogance!

Don had finally made the big time with Miami Vice and we all loved/love the confident character that is "Sonny"!

Philip had the EGOT plan, at the time I think he believed it was possible to attain all the accolades!

As I said self belief can sometimes be seen as bigheaded!

• Like 1

My thoughts are to really succeed in show business (or any profession for that matter) you need to be confident.

Some may mistake confidence for arrogance!

Don had finally made the big time with Miami Vice and we all loved/love the confident character that is "Sonny"!

Philip had the EGOT plan, at the time I think he believed it was possible to attain all the accolades!

As I said self belief can sometimes be seen as bigheaded!

No doubt about it, Don was and is a confident guy and that is also a good quality to have in the show business among others.

Don himself says he was a brash young man, and even though he was confident at the same time he was terrified and it's all understandable being overwhelmed by sudden fame and having to deal with being a big name.

I have seen documentaries about movie stars and their life isn't easy, cause there is always focus and pressure on them.

Many of them can't deal with it and start drinking, taking drugs and die of an overdose.

It's especially hard to see happen with child stars.

I will also add that you need to be a mentally stabile person, to survive and I see Don as that person.

He had some bad periods in his life, but managed to pull through and move on in his life.

Phillip was also a confident guy, but didn't become as famous as Don did.   

But along the way I believe that luck also plays a big role both in the movie business but also music industry, because of the audience amongst others. 

Don Johnson quote: [on landing Miami Vice (1984)] For anybody, let alone someone coming from Missouri, and someone with absolutely no contacts or no understanding of the business, I was very lucky.

• Like 1

Let's remember DJ had starred in several failed tv pilots before Vice came along.  Suddenly, he was a household name.  I don't know what was going though his mind at the sudden fame, but he either could have fallen and had a mental breakdown or the opposite extreme gotten an inflated ego.  It has been said he had the big ego.  Well so be it.  That is the way he handled fame.  At least he wasn't one of these celebrities who's ego was WAY out there, e.g. Paris Hilton, Mariah Carey.  Don did come back down to Earth  and appreciate what Vice did for his career. 

• Like 1

What went wrong since Phillip Michael Thomas didn't achieve his goal. ?(

Back then he must have had higher expectations, then what was realistic.

Of course hard work and a strong will can get you there, to reach your dream, but with the plan Phillip had you also definitely need some luck and the right connections. Despite the EGOT plan to me Phillip seemed more as a down to earth kind of guy on Miami Vice, then Don.

But anyway I am glad that Don finally admits he had a big ego and was a brash guy. :)  And I don't blame him about his ego, some of it is needed in a tough business as show business, at least if you want to be a big star and have lots of ambition. Just my opinion. :)

Even though he sometimes was arrogant in his way of being back then, I still like him.

Today he is still a charming guy with sense of humour, luckfully that hasen't changed.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Egot plan? and you gotta figure back then the whole world was watching you, vs now where theres billions of TV shows on and getting noticed outside of the main networks and without the big boys is impossible.

now its much more like the stage, while movies are what TV used to be.

Hell for instance if I met Scott Bakula in person if I had to talk to him about anything it would be quantom leap, and I wouldnt even acknowledge the modern stuff. as nothing modern drums up interest.

imagine that for everyone else, like Tom, Don, PMT and the like, as the writing, and uniqueness of the programs are gone, its wallpaper paste to me, and imagine how offensive and nuts that must drive someone when their still working and doing their best on those projects.

so part frustration, part ego, and part leave me alone would be my guess into what he's refering to, after all remember what QT said about him, he's a damn good actor and everyones forgotten it.

and maybe that's why all of these older actors are coming back, they've been forgotten and dont get bugged anymore, so they actually start to miss the craft.

I mean look at william shatner, hates being kirk, 20 years latter, wants to be kirk again and did a bang up job in boston legal, the most fun I think the mans ever had in his carrer and it was a fun show to boot.

one of the few modern ones I remember being as good as the old stuff as its william shatner, he can get away with just having fun.

Edited by Kavinsky