Casey Kasem's America's Top 40

AzVice

I don't know whether to post this as a topic, but i don't know where else to put it. I'm in Phoenix and i noticed about 3 months ago one of the local 'oldies' station's is playing Casey Kasem's old shows from the 80s on saturday mornings. Yeah this station use to play 50s-60s oldies, and now they play 80s. But it's really taking me back to hear his old shows from 80-88'.  So if you guys are into that music you might check your stations and see if they are doing that in any other cities.

• Like 1

Hey, that reminds me.  I was in Vegas doing a painting job a few weekends ago and on Saturday a show from 1984 was being replayed.  Yes, great memories from Casey.   :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

Great post. Yes, I like the AT Top 40 from the 80's very much, and I found out a few moths ago that the I Heart Radio app has a station devoted to playing nothing but the countdowns. They alternate between the 70's and 80's, and there are no commercials. It is always interesting to me on many levels, it is nice to hear some of the songs that perhaps just barely made it into the top 40 but weren't huge hits and haven't been over played on "80's stations" today. The app is free, I have it on my phone, Two days ago I caught the "Top 100 of 1985". Good times.

that's right. there's so many song's on there i either don't remember, or had forgotten. radio tends to play the same big hits over and over. my dad found a 50s-60s oldies station on AM earlier this year, but dang they play the same stuff every day. must only have 40-50 songs.

• Like 1

radio tends to play the same big hits over and over. my dad found a 50s-60s oldies station on AM earlier this year, but dang they play the same stuff every day. must only have 40-50 songs.

Yeah, I hate that. Classic rock stations and oldies pop stations both restrict themselves way too much.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I grew up with Casey on the radio. You can hear his old shows being replayed on Satallite radio too I think, but can't remember what channel? I know some terrestrial radio stations are going back to the old show re-runs as well. It's great to hear the old tunes I grew up with again as I really don't listen to too much of that poppy mushy tunes of top 40, but it's nice to reminisce occasionally.

It's so weird that all the millennials of today are into hip-hop and rap. I personally don't get it but I'm an old fart now. The funny thing is when I listen to modern music, I can't believe how much of the old tunes from the 60's 70s' and 80's are used as "Samples" in todays modern music. Some of the greatest artists of the 20th century are used in sampling and the young kids today go "Cool" but they really don't understand the evolution of music!

Last week I was listening to a show about "Mashups" They were missing stuff like Pditty and Led Zeppelin together, and all kinds of music from the last fifty years. These dj's are incredible!