Hello from a Bulgarian fan!

vatdim

Hi guys and gals!

Despite being born in 1990, I've been fascinated with everything 80's for most of my life. Playing GTA: Vice City when it came out was probably the greatest single influence in my earlier life that defined my taste for music, movies and other art forms. I started to collect all sorts of music dating from the late 70's to the early 90's. It started with rock and pop, then funk, hip-hop and even "old-school" house music started to trickle into my playlists.

On a fateful day 2 years ago I was casually listening to Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme". YouTube then did the most amazing thing by offering me to take a look at an act named Miami Nights 1984 and his track "Early Summer". When I found out that this piece was actually representative of the synthwave genre - contemporary music made in spirit and in tribute to the 80's - I was amazed. It truly was one of the greatest experiences of my whole life.

At that point I learned that there were a lot of people like me - people who would probably prefer to live in a different decade to the one we are in now. People fascinated by the synths, the palms and the pastel colors. With a renewed conviction I started to look into the 80's exploring further its numerous and varied pop icons. I discovered not only further synthwave artists, but I also found out about a lot of other composers, performers, actors, etc. I set out to watch some iconic 80's movies, such as Risky Business, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, Electric Dreams and many others.

All that time I had been aware of the existence of Miami Vice. However, my studies did not permit me to take out the time necessary to watch a whole series so I was continuously putting off watching this show. Finally, about a month ago I found a hole in my schedule and I just knew I wanted to fill it with some more 80's. I'm very glad I chose Miami Vice. Watching this series has been the single most rewarding piece of 80's exploration so far. I'm still in the process of watching through the whole series and am positively addicted. Even in real life, I often wonder what Crockett and Tubbs would do in a given situation.

I love the style of clothing, especially in seasons 1 and 2. I've started to incorporate it into my own attire and I am finally beginning to feel that I am happy with what I wear and the way I look. It turns out all those clothes I had worn over the years simply weren't my type of thing and never truly inspired me.

I'm looking forward to learning more about MV and the 80's as a whole, as well as having interesting discussions on these topics with all of you! :)

Welcome!  The people here are great and very friendly.  There are a few of us currently going through the series in order and am sure we will all enjoy your comments as well.

Since you are into the clothing and music, you've definitely arrived at the right place.  Several members have shared music files of their own 80s-style works as well as Jan Hammer pieces; and there are also threads on the forums about clothing and where to find MV-style pieces.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

Welcome to 1984, pal. If you're love MV and the 80s, you're in the right place.

JB

PS If you want to hear some original music written in a true Miami Vice style, just click on the link in my signature.

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

Am I glad I found this site! I've been following a few threads over the last couple of days and already I can see there's a wealth of information, photos and all kinds of original fan-made tributes to all things MV!

Thank you for this warm welcome, pals! ;)