Larry Wilcox Auditions for Miami Vice

Mr. Calderon

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Wow, I have never heard that before.  So when did the Castillo role become a known/ planned addition to the cast?  If PMT tried out for it, that would have to have been before he scored the role of Tubbs, and unless Rodriguez was already only planned as a short-term character, it wouldn't have made sense for PMT to take the Castillo role and leave the Tubbs role . 

Realizing that time passed between filming the first few episodes and those eps being broadcast, my impression was always that Gregory Sierra didn't give notice until after the show premiered.  This would have meant PMT would have to leave the Tubbs role (that he'd already established)  in order to take the Castillo role.  That doesn't seem like something the producers would have wanted to do.

But, obviously I don't know what kind of timeline was planned for the intro of Castillo.

I'd be curios to know where this trivia comes from. PMT already shot the pilot as Tubbs in early '84. The show wasn't premiered until September same year. By the end of August/early September they finished shooting the first few episodes until 'Calderone returns part II' included. And Sierra wanting to quit must have happened during or after the filming of 'brother's keeper'. Couldn't have been before filming. Impossible for PMT to leave a character to fill a vacant role in the same series :). Therefore it's logical to think the introduction of Castillo must have been planned after filming the pilot the earliest. And I don't thbink Sierra decided to quit before making the pilot just because Miami is too hot :). Something else triggered him to leave, obviously nobody knows. And even if he had decided to quit before filming for the first episode started or in pre-production, PMT had been already cast as Tubbs. Impossible producers would allow him to play a different character. That would delay production and you'd have to re-cast one of the leads.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb vicegirl85:

Wow, I have never heard that before.  So when did the Castillo role become a known/ planned addition to the cast?  If PMT tried out for it, that would have to have been before he scored the role of Tubbs, and unless Rodriguez was already only planned as a short-term character, it wouldn't have made sense for PMT to take the Castillo role and leave the Tubbs role . 

Realizing that time passed between filming the first few episodes and those eps being broadcast, my impression was always that Gregory Sierra didn't give notice until after the show premiered.  This would have meant PMT would have to leave the Tubbs role (that he'd already established)  in order to take the Castillo role.  That doesn't seem like something the producers would have wanted to do.

But, obviously I don't know what kind of timeline was planned for the intro of Castillo.

You're absolutely right, and of course that confuses me now. It would make more sense if he had applied for the role of Rodriguez, because I can't imagine applying for a role in a new series and knowing from the start that you want to quit after six episodes. We said I'm confused now, but I'll keep trying to find out where I read that at the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christine said:

You're absolutely right, and of course that confuses me now. It would make more sense if he had applied for the role of Rodriguez, because I can't imagine applying for a role in a new series and knowing from the start that you want to quit after six episodes. We said I'm confused now, but I'll keep trying to find out where I read that at the time.

The mysteries of MV! Someone should ask either John Nicolella or Anthony Yerkovic...:)

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2