Crockett and Trudy getting ready for a scene in the Ferrari

summer84

mmzfcg.jpg

I never really understood why this episode was called the "The Dutch Oven" and how it was connected to the episode.

So I looked up the phrase and I didn't like what it said. ;)   Still don't get it! :)

• Like 6

maybe they were trying to go for something like an alternative name for the melting pot, or boiling point.

also that episode is filmed at the end of S1 there, hence the cars look and Don's Outfit and the slightler grainy film stock that showed up for that season and episode.

and Don is smoking in it, something he gave up for S2 I think.

• Like 1

maybe they were trying to go for something like an alternative name for the melting pot, or boiling point.

also that episode is filmed at the end of S1 there, hence the cars look and Don's Outfit and the slightler grainy film stock that showed up for that season and episode.

and Don is smoking in it, something he gave up for S2 I think.

Yeah, I didn't think of it that way Kavinsky. It makes more sense to be figuratively speaking rather than the practical joke. Since Trudy found herself in a difficult position between her duty as a cop and private life, somebody was going to get burned no matter what. This shot is from season 2, because the episode "The Dutch Oven" was made in that season. :)

Yeah, I didn't think of it that way Kavinsky. It makes more sense to be figuratively speaking rather than the practical joke. Since Trudy found herself in a difficult position between her duty as a cop and private life, somebody was going to get burned no matter what. This shot is from season 2, because the episode "The Dutch Oven" was made in that season. :)

Nah that particular scene the shot is of is S1, probably one of the last shots they did in that season, as that's the Car that was aquired after the pilot and was fitted with chrome windshield trim, instead of the black trim the pilot car had, and still has.

and originally it was painted red, its just for whatever reason they forgot to change the windshield trim, or did it on purpose to see what they liked better, which caused a continuity issue whenever the cars switched scenes.

as for S2 both cars were retrofitted to better look like each other, although some differences remained, the shocks of the 76 car, this one sit a little higher, which might have been on purpose, and the idea was to scrap or replace this car for season 3 with a new one given the differences although that never came to pass.

and it was recently redescovered to be the volo car, as Carl had done an illegal vin change to aquire an actual title for the car.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

When I saw this photo I immediately remembered the scene and episode in which it was shot. By looking at Crockett's and Trudy clothes and how the entire scene is set I would say that this shot is from season 2. I just can't see it being any other episode. :)

Edited by summer84

Well its just them driving around in a car, which can be filmed at any time like it was here, plus I think they did pre production of the next season during the filming in this case and the cars just hadnt been shipped off at that point to Carls Shop for repairs and overhauls

in particular the Pilot car had a new engine block installed after the engine blew. probably from damage caused by the turbo it was fited with right after the first owner bought it, ala what happened with this car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-ckvL3d24

with some go faster bits, intake, carb and probably other bits in there. so they could do the racing episode with it, as that was ment to be an S1 epsiode but it didnt work out that way and was put off for S2

hell maybe its why car 1 is here for that matter, maybe car 4 was already off getting its new overhaul, and tires as Tubbs Put it in one of the S2 episodes.

lets go burn a little rubber on those new tires I think he says in the Busses epsiode, right after car 1's humiliation in Whatever works.

and also this is why you pay attention to your air pressure sensors on a turbo car, neglect = destruction and failure, hence why it was used on mostly just racing cars back then.

the rare exception being the Audi Quattro, which was campaigned as a rally car there after.

so seeing this be done out of the ordinary thought to be done method is not unusual in the filming world, filming is done in set locations where the scenes for the beginning middle and end of something can be done in one take at that place given how much money is spent to haul people around along with the equipment, even now.

although now the labor is more expensive than the equipment, hence the production of the star trek films getting moved to places like detroit I think, as it saves like 20 million on labor alone, and Mr Saint and that saintly no more lol now just imagine when the technology was THAT hard and expensive to deal with.

so it makes sense to shoot out of sequence and wherever and whenever you can get a shot done.

which is one of the many shocking things you learn about film and tv when you look into the behind the scenes stuff.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

After reading your post and also getting a little more insight to "the real cars of miami vice" from wikia, I can see you have a good point there. 

"The Dutch Oven" episode aired 25 Oct. 1985 and several episodes from season 1 aired in 1985 as well. So some of the episodes of season 1 and 2 were done that same year in 1985. And by reading - https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-it-take-to-produce-an-average-hour-long-TV-drama-episode as a possibility it could have taken them a week producing the entire episode and then airing the episode months later. But of course that is only a possibilty from reading how it generally takes place. Not a conclusion.

This shot must have been taken in 1985 and as you said was meant to be a season 1 episode which you can tell from looking at the details of the car. Which I thought was very interesting. And can also be read about in miami vice wikia: "The interiors were also revamped, and Car One's chrome windshield trim was changed to black to match that of Car Four (this difference in trim is the easiest way to discern which car is on screen during Season 1)."  :)

actually I think most of the points from that wiki were taken from the daytona thread that everyones contributed to lol but with the interiors bit, truth of the matter is the only real concernable change was a black leather stripe that was added to the back of the seats for the second season, as its abit of a wide seat with alot of area on it.

as those seats were changed from the pilot on both cars, while the original on car 4, the pilot car looked like this

gallery_471_5_121805.jpg

and the seats on car 1 supposedly looked like this.

s-l1600.jpg

and well my best bet was that maybe they came off of a detomaso pantera, or that they were purely custom, so reproducing them would be troublesome for contiunity and time reasons. so they just switched to a 78 style corvette seat for both of them given how much work has to be done to turn a show from a pilot into a fully functioning tv show.

and added a black stripe to the back for S2

gallery_471_5_13119.jpg

and the only other changes were really external for S2, the black plexyglass being put back on from the pilot on both cars this time, and switching that trim to black, and maybe possibly redoing the dash pad a touch on car 1 to make it look a little less rough.

and hell I still havent found a match for car 4's dash anywhere, despite how factory it looks, and that's after years of searching and looking all over the place at the possibles.

gallery_471_5_4682.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

Very thorough analysis, Kavinsky. All the changes and mods they did to the fake Daytona really go to justify Enzo Ferrari's disapproval, hence the switch to a legit Testarossa.

• Like 1

Very thorough analysis, Kavinsky. All the changes and mods they did to the fake Daytona really go to justify Enzo Ferrari's disapproval, hence the switch to a legit Testarossa.

actually the most ironic thing I've been finding is that the daytona's interior works not because its trying to mimic a ferrari, its mimicing one of the first corvettes mixed in with a few italian cues here and there,  the C1 namely where the symyetry and styling of the interior was really top notch.

18629235690_0937181f45_b.jpg

vs the C3 where there was a lack of symetry about it with the footwells and the shapes used in its interior, as boxes look like boxes, and with an interior you always want to stick to a chosen shape, not go circular and boxular in the same interior, atleast not without softening its shape abit

9e_3.jpg

hence why eveything that was a box on it was changed or rewrapped to be more cicular, and where there was leather there was an attempt made to keep that contiunity throught.

gallery_471_5_9809.jpg

gallery_471_5_21919.jpg

gallery_471_5_14267.jpg

its kinda why the stock C3 seats seem at odds with it to me when they put them in, while fiero seats seem to mesh better with it, better than the custom ones actually if you cut the headrest off.

3588243272_c84338d3fe_z.jpg

and why despite being a replica people have fallen in love with this thing, even though usually replicas have a reputation for being slapped together and not very well thought out.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Production Notes from Miami Vice Wikia:

Filmed: March 26, 1985 - April 3, 1985 (after "Lombard" from the first season)

Airdate October 25, 1985

This episode was filmed shortly after the season 1 finale "Lombard", but held back until the second season.

"The Dutch Oven" was originally filmed as part of Season 1.

Edited by summer84