New Star Trek Series Announced

Kavinsky

http://trekmovie.com/2015/11/02/cbs-announces-new-star-trek-series-to-premiere-in-january-2017/

this just came in over the wire last night, sounds like they're opting to do a netflix like service with it for 5.99, sort of like what they've been doing with the daredevil tv show apparently.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, the head is alex kurzman and some woman who's worked over hawaii 5-0 of which I frankly call Fake Five O

as I'm kind of at this point with TV I think, with the famous old man yells at cloud thing lol

I guess the main question is, will it be that Captain Worf thing that Michael Dorn has been trying to get greenlit for awhile, as all they've announced is the 2 executive producers, a date and where to see it.

but no plot details, and one of the things I've often thought about is how to fix all the damage Rick Berman did to the franchise since it went off the air.

as he killed most of the Key villians and charachters, both literally and figuratively. and made the heros look like fools by extention, along with literally making it so that Cheeze could defeat a star ship and that you turn into a newt if you go past warp 10, so I must wonder how they look to fix all that.

Yes they really went that stupid, you guys have no idea how lucky miami vice got that it was only one episode that went that way, or a handfull, as they made an entire series that went that stupid.

and it was successful, Voyager, Voyage of the stupid.

as that was the reason for the reboot, it got so broke no one wanted to put the effort forward to fix it, and to say the least there is some humorious videos displaying just that are floating around making fun of that.

the most promenent being SFdebris and Confused matthew, to say the least they broke their universes own rules weekly with the latter shows and it just killled it over time.

as well you treat your audience like idiots, ignore your own rules, and you have alternatives elsewhere like battlestar galactica, Babalon 5, Red Dwarf, and Farscape and well, people left in droves after DS9 ended

hell I think if it wasnt for DS9 star trek would have died far earlier than it did, like 97' 98' rather than 2004 and 2002 respectively given the acting chops of Avery Brooks, and the rest of the cast and crew there.

I mean say what you want about DS9 but that cast and crew gave its all, and much like Jerremy Brett to Sherlock, Avery Brooks became Sisko, and did his best to contrast Patrick Steward as Picard. 

and that's what made that show great, people who put it on the line in stupid pajamas lol

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

WHY?

As a true "TREKKIE" of the original series, I was really not enthused over the new Star Trek or any of the silly spinoffs that came later. They could have all got "Lost in Space" as far as I was concerned.

I am now a bit disappointed that there will be a re-boot of the original. What more can they do? Will KIRK be a part of it (at what age?)

Doesn't sound good to me...........

Well there has been a pining for new trek, and alot of people were saying why not go the Game Of Thrones or the Netflix way, given how sometimes the quality of episodes given the order of 30 a season I think would vary heavily.

and it was the overwrititing that broke trek, that along with constant tampering by a guy called  Rick Berman, the proof of which fell into my hands and promtly got deilvered to SFdebris himself by yours truely.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/22/garrett-wang-talks-clashes-with-brannon-braga-rick-berman-lost-opportunity-for-star-trek-voyager-movie/

as I was on a quest at that moment to figure out why I remembered so much of TNG and yet remembered so little of voyager at the time via Sfdebris voyager reviews, like what the hell happened, and that filled in the blanks.

as I can list off like 10 TNG episodes that I love off the top of my head

The Pegasus

Best of both worlds part 1 and 2

the Drumhead, and how often have I quoted that one in particular in these past couple of years?

Sarrek

Redemption Part 1 and 2

The Defector

The Battle

Ship in a bottle, Booby Trap I think its called, as I've had a brilliant idea of using that minefield as a way to reintroduce the old borg by the way of using that as the catalist for it.

while I can only list maybe one or two of voyager

which is timeless, and maybe hope and fear, and I've heard good things about the thaw, which has the cigarette smoking man in it as the antagonist, plus the doctor was always good but well one part cant make a show great.

enterprise

damage and maybe one of the other xindi episodes.

as the episode codes of voyagers first couple of seasons were season 8 and 9, as it was just a continuation of TNG and that's how bad TNG would have gotten if it had continued, and that's not counting the movies and what happened there.

as basically he 86'd any character development and conflict in the name of Gene's ideal vision of the future, much like I think what happened with star trek insurrection, which is utterly insane and greatly cuts down on the scope of what you could do with a show like that.

plus Rick Berman is the same man who fired the composer of early TNG for doing too good of a job in trying to actually give the series a definitve score like the movies did. his last episode being the drumhead and the starfleet command games actually. guys name is Ron Jones by the way, the same who scores american dad right now.

hell this man is probably one of the key reasons TNG survived its first two seasons given the time period the show came out in, which was more or less exactly at the same time as star trek 5 came out.

as a matter of fact they had to use the TNG sets to even make star trek 6 apparently.

and his score from "time squared" still sticks in my head like 20 or 30 years latter, and that episode by all regards apparently sucked

and of course he got the boot as soon as they got on solid footing, courtesy of that man

although much like the minefield thing for the borg with the movie I actually figured out a way to fix generations, the one that killed two icons in one fell swoop senslessly. Kirk and the Enterprise D, both in rather insulting ways that ignored the set rules of its fictional universe.

and has been tried to be fixed by fans and shatner himself alike. and I think my solution works rather well without going over into the tech side of things.

say Q destroyed the enterprise to keep picard from loosing his mind as shown in the possible future in the final episode and to prevent a mass assimilation of the crew in first contact as they were expecting the enterprise D, not the E to show up, not to mention all the damn kids on the ship. and that picard was the true target of the attack on earth, as to figure out what they had been up to.

as it was a reassimilation of Picard that caused him to loose his mind, and that what we saw as kirk was his mimic, not him, not really. and he's still trapped in the nexus. plus it explains why 10 forward isnt in its usual location in the future and it explains why guainan wasnt in that future in that episode.

as she was probably one of the first victims of the borg reassimilation of the ship. and the rebuild of it moved 10 forward to a much safer location, plus it explains why they would want to decommision the ship given all the bad voodo that's happened on it in that future.

there..... problem solved, granted that has taken me awhile to work out a plausable way to fix all the problems with that movie. and seeing as that was never brought up along with any of those points, this is truly just a patch to cover up shotty writing. but a damn good one I think.

and as for Voyager: Endgame, the episode that really put a nail in the coffin for the series as a whole, which lead to what was basically a reboot to begin with with enterprise.

just say it was a dream that the doctor made up and they just found a worm hole that lead back to earth and came back so you dont have to deal with the fallout of all that stupid universe breaking future tech

as it would be just as stupid but far less damaging to the series as a whole as even Robert Beltran, Jacotay, at the end of filming just went "Thats it?!" when they finished up on that one. which perfectly sumed up Voyager in a nutshell really, as it really didnt earn its audience viewing figures like TNG or DS9 did.

and true story Rick Berman wanted to straight use an Akira class for Enterprise, the little fighting ship used in First Contact briefly as is for enterprise, a series that was to take place before Kirks era.

akira-cgi.jpg

and its only because of Doug Drexler that it really got stopped and changed so it atleast looked somewhat like it could have come before the original enterprise

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/nx01.htm

and the NX 01 refit that was supposed to be used for season 4 that never happened,

and also the final episode of Enterprise where they ruined the pegasus episode? it was written by Rick Berman, basically just as the series was ending he ripped control away from the new guy who took over for season 3 and 4 to write a finale that has given poor Johnathan Franks nothing but grief ever since.

so we've already really seen the worst as far as I've been concerned as atleast its not Rick Berman in the seat, and Michael Giacchino is more than capable as a composer.

but that's no excuse for a reboot when you can actually fix the problems with the universe like I've figured out how to do, but maybe this series could do that, or it could go the doctor who route.

god help us.

while to be fair I can take shots at the the new one too, but its all down to the writing yet again, but this time around, the usual suspects are NOT writing it

the guy who did the last fast movie is directing the next movie and simon pegg is writing it along with someone else, and they just finished filming on it actually right before this announcement.

and there is atleast one guy who knows how to write trek on the latest movie staff, and it might be Alex Kurtzman, the one who's connected to the new TV show as the producer as he might have wrote the first part of Into Darkness, while the other guy Robert Occi might have written the middle to end bits where the thing just fell apart.

and Occi is the one who writes for fake five 0 too

so there might be hope for this show, and atleast its not fucking berman

although this is rather curious

as it makes me wonder is this show taking part in the JJ era, and are they going to have a trailer for this new series put on the end of the next upcoming movie in 2016?

and will it feature a new enterprise given the date, as I know of two that are more than capable in that role.

the fully fleshed out original concept of the enterprise C that never was, that actually looks surprisingly good considering the wonky proportions its sketch had, Probert's work yet again FYI, time constraints ment they had to use that kitbash like enterprise C for the episode, that was once again rather rushed and also quite similar to the TMP.

and the madkoifish enterprise, which was designed by a close friend of Doug Drexler who works in the SFX business for battlestar based off of the teaser images we all saw for the 09 movie, before it was revealed to be some overglorified hotrod in the wrong paint job, as once you put the proper paint job back on it, it actually works.

http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=15403

its just JJ wanted to put it in the TMP colors which ruined it frankly, and even my own tests confirm this

gallery_471_5_54300.jpg

gallery_471_5_83400.jpg

as the ryan church concept was only made in the original grey and orange color scheme, it was never properly adjusted for it, as you cant just slap a highly intricate modern paint job on a retro styled model without properly adjusting some details first. like I actually tried to do in one of my sketches really.

gallery_471_5_9772.jpg

and its amazing what replacing the bridge and modifying the neck and lower half can do for a ship

3 little mods, move the neck further forward, add a little bit more girth to the cicular bit and put on the TMP bridge and it already looks a hell of alot better with the V1 there, oh and I moved that stupid pie plate on the bottom further up, I guess they were trying to make the turret control of the TOS one a reality with it. called phaser control I think it was in the show.

and moved the engines and saucers further forward, actually its funny how much you forget you did to make something look good unless you stare at it for awhile and remember just exactly what you did.

and that very paint job, the TMP had to be muted after the first film because of lighting issues with to begin with when it came to the physical models, which ironically means its only just now that the TMP enterprise's paint job can be done properly with CGI

and its being used on a model never designed for it.

and all the blames falling on poor Ryan Church and Not JJ for it either, as I was openly repulsed when I saw the new enterprise, while here in its proper paint job, I wouldnt have and I think the world in general would have been far more accepting, I mean atleast do it in a light grey if you gotta go lighter than that.

and as a final self indulgent one, maybe even my own if there going to redo the TMP era, like they seem to be doing with the JJ movies, as in a deleted scene in into darkness they showed robocop sitting at his desk with a TOS enterprise behind him, meaning these movies are replacing the TMP timeline more or less, or making a modern post TMP era one.

gallery_471_5_54123.jpg

the original vs my worked over one on the bottom, redone to better match the proportions of the original as matt jefferies reportedly never liked the TMP refit, he was the guy who built the original tos one, that has this simplistic beauty to it, hence why everyone comes back to it, yet everyone tries to replace the TMP and in looking into why it became clear that it wasnt aerodynamic enough and it was over detailed, unlike a military aircraft would be.

so I kind of did this in his honor really.

and incorperate updates from the reliant and the excelsior, as the TMP enterprise was rushed for the first movie, and was by all indications supposed to be replaced with the excelsior in ST3. and the enterprise D came from a Sketch that Andrew Probert did for TMP because he was unhappy with it

and that is the same guy who did the Back To the Future Delorean actually, and even Ken Adams, from the bond franchise had a hand in doing a concept for the next enterprise for that movie that was used as a background model in ST 3 and TNG.

hence all the time spend designing the excelsior for that movie. and if your wondering what brought that on, Star Trek Into Darkness and the refit it gets at the end.

as I knew I could do better than that, and I was tired of everyone looking down at the TMP like it needs to be replaced, it doesnt, it just needs abit of an update with the right frame of mind once you understand the man who designed it in the first place.

plus I always kinda thought, Mr Scott what are you planning when he was just in the dining room looking at plans of the enterprise out of nowhere in ST6.

and why did you complement the enterprise B as a fine ship when you hated the excelsior in ST3 unless you were thinking, wait until you see what I got cooking with my ship lol

so I kinda think of this as a Mark 3 constitution class starship in a way lol

I know stupid silly and childish, but hey how many times do you get to design your own enterprise AND have an in-universe reason for its existance lol

plus this all shows there is hope for a new trek show

Edited by Kavinsky