How in the heck do I get my hair to look like that?

TylerDurden389

Hey guys. After 6 months of leaving my hair alone and letting it grow, I am happy to say that I've gotten the length down to somewhere mid or late in season 2 (I think it may even reach season 4 length pretty soon). However, one problem still remains: I cannot for the life of me figure out how to style it as Don's. Now granted, it never "sat" the same way in every episode (or even throughout one episode, though granted in season 1 there was a bit more 'uniformity' in his hair as it didn't change much), but I just can't figure it out. The way his bangs would fall, the way it was kind of "square" in the back, and the way it somewhat goes over the ears along the sides.

I use a really strong hairspray that keeps my hair from getting frizzy/messy no matter how humid it is (I need time to 'set' it by slicking it back and leaving it alone for at least an hour and end up looking like a stereotypical mafia member when it's like this lol). Once I comb it and begin parting it, it's perfectly straight. Anyone here have any tips? As I said, lengthwise I'm definitely closer to late season 2 than season 1 where it was shorter. And Once it gets longer I'm gonna really have fun trying to style it like season 4 once it gets to that length (sense the sarcasm? lol). Probably won't take scissors to it until I can do a ponytail. That's where I draw the line lol.

• Like 1

Have you tried gel?  With the heavier texture you may be able to shape it better/more like you want it, without having it slicked down to your head.  It takes awhile to dry but if you're already waiting an hour... 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I usually slick it back after I wash it and kind of style it, then put a beanie on so it can dry and sort of get used to being in that position, then style it again to the preferred position all without needing hair products.

Gel helps also, if you want to go down that route.

I use a razor blade because ive got mor of the steve Austin look :D .

Would love to slick my hair back but it is a baron landscape ;(  so I cant give you much advice on this topic. But good luck. :cool:  :thumbsup:

You could also go to a hairdresser with a pic of Don of that season and get her/him to help style it perfectly. ;)

And get some advice there too, how to keep it in that style.

• Like 3

I use a really strong hairspray that keeps my hair from getting frizzy/messy no matter how humid it is (I need time to 'set' it by slicking it back and leaving it alone for at least an hour and end up looking like a stereotypical mafia member when it's like this lol). 

You might try some "leave in conditioner" to combat the frizz. I've found it helps to manage hair quite well. Garnier makes a "Sleek and Smooth" in their Fructis line of products, green bottle. Hit it with a small amount (size of a dime) just after towel drying, before any gel or spray. I am also at the hair cross roads myself, mine is now a good bit longer than my avatar pic, so soon I'll either get a trim or just go all out for season 4 or 5. You only live once, Pal.

• Like 2

Thanks for responses everyone. The hairspray I use is called "Instant Freeze" by a brand named "Aussie" and it's actually just as strong as gel. My problem lies in that I can't get the "quaff" right. The amount of volume, how it sits, and how the bangs fall. Things like that.When I try to do it, it ends up being too puffy in the back, but flat in the front. And I can't figure out how to get it to rest over the ears on the sides. It's like it's slick back on the sides, but the hair over the ears slightly covers the top half of the ears. The other problem is the very bottom that sits on my neck. It tends to curl, though I know thats cuz I dont' bother trying to curl my hair with one of those rounded combs.

Also, after posting this thread and checking myself out in the mirror today, I've realized that the top/front hair is already season 4 length, but the sides and back is still season 2 length. What can I say? I can't let my hair be long in the back when it's still short on top lol. I honestly wonder if the hair/makeup people didn't even touch Don's hair after season 3 and simply let it grow for season 4.

Edited by TylerDurden389

Maybe it's too long on top to do what you want with the "quaff" and bangs?  I second summer84's suggestion to have a hairdresser style it for you and give suggestions on keeping it like you want it.  After all, DJ certainly had a hairdresser, even if Sonny Crockett just rolled out of bed, combed his hair straight back after a shower, and walked out looking exactly the way you want to look ;)

• Like 2

Very practical advice in this thread. I think the Season 4 look would be the most manageable (although, even looking disheveled takes work); you could possibly get away with just a light application of hairspray at that length. For the other seasons, particularly Season 3, I would consider a stylist. If you know anyone with longer hair, personally, it could be interesting to ask them how they manage it.

I think I'm gonna take everyone's advice and go to a hairdresser with some pictures. I was afraid that someday I'd end up being "that person" lol. Now the question is, which ones do I go with? Don's hair sat subtly differently in various parts of every episode lol. I'm thinking of maybe getting the top trimmed first and leaving the sides and back alone to get the proper season 2 look. Also, is it just me, or does season 4's style look like they just let Don's hair grow out after season 2? It looks like they keep the top/front at a medium length, trim the sides over the ears occasionally, and let the back grow. I noticed it throughout season 2 as it got longer, and season 4 (at the start) looks like the end result. Heck, even season 3's hairstyle is just a very short version of this same principle, and throughout s3 they let it grow out again.

Btw, when I say season 4 hairstyle, I mean the early episodes before they lopped off the bottom in the back over the neck. I hated how it looked when they chopped it off mid-way through the season. Though it did redeem itself in the last episode when they altered the style for Burnett.

• Like 1

My personal likes, if Season 2 is your favorite: 

1. post-5754-0-14472600-1448149230_thumb.jp 2. post-5754-0-70612300-1448149246_thumb.jp 3. post-5754-0-19751500-1448149267_thumb.jp 4. post-5754-0-68390500-1448149278_thumb.jp

#2 has the benefit of showing the front and back both.  Or just choose some pics you like best.  Sometimes the lighting is dark and makes it hard to see the style well.  I tried to choose pics with better lighting and in fact I added some fill flash to #2.

• Like 2

miami-vice-sc.jpg

The hair length is a bit shorter, but this promo pic is a great example of the "square" look that Sonny's hair has sometimes. A lot of times Don's hair will have a more rounded look. The only way I can possibly imagine getting hair to sit this way is to keep the hair going in one direction (in this case, horizontally over the ears), meeting in the middle.

25_1360640448_2680016281.jpg

A bit more length here, so a better example.

Miami_Vice_Guns.jpg

Basically the same shot, but notice how the hair is a bit more parted in the middle. The "slick/combed back" works for Don, I don't like how it looks on me.

I really like the "square" look your top pic is showing.  Your third pic doesn't have as much of the "slicked back" look (IMO), so might be a good direction for you if you don't like the slick look.  You're right that the hair must be styled to go back over/across the ears; although it may not really "meet in the middle" it is trained in that direction using blowdryer, round brush, hairspray, etc.  The old "ducktail" look from the 1950s did the same thing, except that the use of Bryl-creem or other styling aids left it with more of a "greaser" look. 

I think DJ's hair was very thick on top back then.  Most people couldn't carry that look off as well. 

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, I apologize for not updating sooner, but only a mere few days after I last responded to this thread, I actually figured out how to do the style (or at the very least, something closer to it than I'd been doing up to that point). It's actually so simple that i can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.

The trick is to simply part my hair in the middle only in the very front, then let it go down along my brow/hairline, then slick back over the ears. Keeping the middle to the back still slick back as normal. Then after I've let it 'sit' and stay in place, when I comb it out I basically do the same thing. Just a small part in the center that goes along the sides. While the hair on top slowly progresses from a side part, to a slick back part.

I can actually do it both when my hair is still "hard" from the hairspray,and after I comb it out and let it sit as I want for most of the day.

Sorry I don't have any picture ATM, but I'll work on that soon to share with you all. I actually cut my hair once since last November, this time just letting it all be the same length. And in the 2 months since cutting it, I can honestly say that I'm now the closest to having the Season 2 hairstyle than I ever did before. I think in a few months I might even be getting into the season 4 hairstyle length.

• 3 weeks later...

I found back in the day that I have the same hair type as Don Johnson; fine, thick and blonde.  So I lucked out, my hair pretty much does what his does all on its own without much product.  Don Johnson may have had the same approach, it looks they way it does just because his hair tends to drape that way.  I've also found that in summer, the heat and humidity actually give my hair more body and make it easier to have the same look.  So the Miami climate may have been a key factor in the Crockett look.  But quality shampoo and conditioner is key for longer hair.  My stylist recommends Fruictis which I also use, or Paul Mitchell.  You want to retain as much of natural follicle emollients for healthy hair.  Right now I'm in a season 4 length on my way to season 5 length.

Mousse, it's not as stiff as gel. As for the cut you have to have a good stylist. Look at Don's hair at the beginning of the show and how much better his hair looked as time went along with good stylists cutting his hair.

Edited by AzVice

• 3 months later...

When I was fifteen, I went to a barber shop with a season three photograph of Don Johnson and told the guy that I wanted my hair to look like that.

He tried his best, but when he was done, I was somewhat disappointed at the result, which to me looked nothing like the picture.

So the barber said "Well, this is as close as it's gonna get. He's got a different hair texture than you, and a different hairline and head shape".

Bottom line: You can always grow your hair the same length as Sonny Crockett, and maybe even get a similar haircut. But there's no guarantee it'll really look like him.

• Like 1

i can still get my hair to basically look like that. Slick it back with mousse, blow dry it to harden it a bit.  You gotta remember, he had a hairstylist. Look at his hair at the beginning of season 1...looked like supercuts or worse. Then look at it from around Smuggler's Blues onward.

as for season 4, i'm sure they didn't touch it after season 3, except possible slight shaping when filming began again to make it perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 11:22 AM, AzVice said:

as for season 4, i'm sure they didn't touch it after season 3, except possible slight shaping when filming began again to make it perfect.

I think they kept it a bit shorter over the ears, but the top and back are the same medium length. Basically, to me it's just a longer version of season 2's style with a bit of cutting at the ears. At least until halfway through the season when, for whatever reason, they lopped off the back/bottom over the neck. Ugh, to me it didn't look good until the last episode, both when he's still Crockett, and then what they did for his hair as Burnett.

Part of it is genetics.... Don Johnson is part Native American...but they have some great shampoos out now that do add body and thickness without sticky tacky feel...one of my favorite is KMS California thick and they also have a thick 'spray'   Organix also has some good ones and then finding a hair dresser who can cut hair...just bring in lot of pics

I have watched some of  his recent movies and he is still holding it OMG

• 8 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 5:48 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

I think I'm gonna take everyone's advice and go to a hairdresser with some pictures. I was afraid that someday I'd end up being "that person" lol. Now the question is, which ones do I go with? Don's hair sat subtly differently in various parts of every episode lol. I'm thinking of maybe getting the top trimmed first and leaving the sides and back alone to get the proper season 2 look. Also, is it just me, or does season 4's style look like they just let Don's hair grow out after season 2? It looks like they keep the top/front at a medium length, trim the sides over the ears occasionally, and let the back grow. I noticed it throughout season 2 as it got longer, and season 4 (at the start) looks like the end result. Heck, even season 3's hairstyle is just a very short version of this same principle, and throughout s3 they let it grow out again.

Btw, when I say season 4 hairstyle, I mean the early episodes before they lopped off the bottom in the back over the neck. I hated how it looked when they chopped it off mid-way through the season. Though it did redeem itself in the last episode when they altered the style for Burnett.

That's what I did. Took my Season 3 photos to my wife's hair dresser and she styled it pretty close to Crockett's. But now a couple years later.....she is departing from the original. 

I think it's time to bring the pics in again! ;)