The Future of Our Site!

Ferrariman

• Administrators

Thanks Chris!

As I originally posted the forum will be closed in the very near future to make these final changes. Please keep this in mind in case you can't login.

Thanks

Ferrariman

many thanks to you guys for share all stuff about miami vice.

First when i read about the title,I've thought that you guys have problem with financial resources and then when i read the post from ferrari,it was all clear that you guys are mature and busy with your real life things.

I wish Tim will keep this site alive as long as he can. :]

• Administrators

Tim,

Can you also tell us in the US how to donate.    In the past I have donated VIA Paypal and I think it went straight to Chris's account because I got thank-you emails from his site address.  Thanks.

Jim, I think the donation process with be the same, once everything is finalized we will just change the account info in the board's system and it will then be routed to my bank.

We will post when this is complete.

Team, Chris has changed the settings on the donations so they should now be going to me. :thumbsup:

You will however be getting his thank you message as the auto reply PM for the donation from Chris. We will work on that going forward but a I think that everyone should test the donation link with a $1000.00 donation to me just to make sure it works!!! :p  Hey, I didn't win the 1.5 billion Power Ball  :D  :D  :D  :D  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think the reason people may disappear from the forum over time is that were are looking at a show that is now over 30 years old, and ran a limited 5 seasons.  After awhile of reading topics, you get to a point where you don't see much new information.  We've probably done such a good job of documenting everything about the show at this point that it's hard to come up with new topics.  

And then there's the generation gap.  I don't know how many younger people are gravitating to older shows.  Those of us who were just old enough to enjoy it were Gen Xers.  The Gen Jones and Baby Boomers were probably the oldest fans of the show at the time.  But the older fans are dying out now, so the fan base is going to be ever shrinking.  The younger generation probably sees Miami Vice as a show of a simpler time compared to today's series, much like Dragnet looks like when looking back from Vice.  But looking back, the style of modern dramatic TV series is rooted in Miami Vice.  The darker story tones, high production values, original music, montage use, continuity dependent, series and season arches.  Miami Vice is a mixed blessing to me, because it was such a revolutionary show in its time, but ultimately it led to what I like least about modern TV shows (too gritty, too arch and continuity dependent, lack of individual episodes).  I try to hook as many younger people as possible, but they are not big fans of the '80s.  When I play my Vice playlists, they roll their eyes at all the "old" music.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

I listen to a radio station in Toronto, Canada called Boom 97.3    They play strictly 70's 80's and 90's music. Every Friday night is an 80's only night. They also have 80's long weekends whenever it's a Monday holiday. My point being, 80's music is still the most popular and most requested music here and I'm sure in many U.S. areas as well.  No eye rolling!

• Like 4

• Administrators

I'll agree to that. There is one good radio station in my area I listen to that a plays a lot of 80's stuff.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:39 PM, Lifeguard said:

I think the reason people may disappear from the forum over time is that were are looking at a show that is now over 30 years old, and ran a limited 5 seasons.  After awhile of reading topics, you get to a point where you don't see much new information.  We've probably done such a good job of documenting everything about the show at this point that it's hard to come up with new topics.  

And then there's the generation gap.  I don't know how many younger people are gravitating to older shows.  Those of us who were just old enough to enjoy it were Gen Xers.  The Gen Jones and Baby Boomers were probably the oldest fans of the show at the time.  But the older fans are dying out now, so the fan base is going to be ever shrinking.  The younger generation probably sees Miami Vice as a show of a simpler time compared to today's series, much like Dragnet looks like when looking back from Vice.  But looking back, the style of modern dramatic TV series is rooted in Miami Vice.  The darker story tones, high production values, original music, montage use, continuity dependent, series and season arches.  Miami Vice is a mixed blessing to me, because it was such a revolutionary show in its time, but ultimately it led to what I like least about modern TV shows (too gritty, too arch and continuity dependent, lack of individual episodes).  I try to hook as many younger people as possible, but they are not big fans of the '80s.  When I play my Vice playlists, they roll their eyes at all the "old" music.  

How can people write off a whole decade of music or TV shows as being "old"?  If something is good, it doesn't change to bad because it's old.

I watch movies on TCM which were made in the 30's, 40's & 50's. The stories are better than most of the garbage that's being made today.

As far as music is concerned, Bach, Mozart etc. will last forever in greatness, no matter how many teenagers "roll their eyes." The same with big band music, rock & roll, Beatles, Phil Collins etc. If it is good it is always good.

The TV show "Full House" is being shown every day. I can't understand why "Miami Vice" isn't enjoying the same coverage. It is definitely as good as, if not better than, "Full House."

• Like 1

You make good points Tony D.  There are on my cable tv numerous channels devoted to showing old shows.  I and my wife still love watching "I Love Lucy" and other classics.  Old does not mean trash tv.  There is plenty of garbage on tv today.  

Miami Vice was the MTV cop show.  Now look at MTV--nothing but junk. 

There are two radio station out of Las Vegas that I enjoy.  They play 60s thru 80s music.  They call themselves  classic rock stations.  So the audience is there.  Good music will always be available.

I also love movies from the "Golden Age" of Hollywood.  TCM is a favorite channel of mine. 

So I do believe in the longevity of this site.  There will always be something cool to read from the members.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony D. said:

How can people write off a whole decade of music or TV shows as being "old"?  If something is good, it doesn't change to bad because it's old.

I watch movies on TCM which were made in the 30's, 40's & 50's. The stories are better than most of the garbage that's being made today.

As far as music is concerned, Bach, Mozart etc. will last forever in greatness, no matter how many teenagers "roll their eyes." The same with big band music, rock & roll, Beatles, Phil Collins etc. If it is good it is always good.

The TV show "Full House" is being shown every day. I can't understand why "Miami Vice" isn't enjoying the same coverage. It is definitely as good as, if not better than, "Full House."

For us GenXers, yeah we watched a lot of older shows and movies.  We had a tendency to consume older music too.  But my experience with American Millennials as a high school and middle school teacher, as well as a summer employer, is that they do not have as much respect for nostalgia and vintage as we did at their age.  Even with Vice being available on DVD, Hulu, weekdays on COZI-TV, and on iTunes; I have yet to run into any Millennials that have watched it.  I wonder how many people we have on the forum that were born after 1984?  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lifeguard said:

For us GenXers, yeah we watched a lot of older shows and movies.  We had a tendency to consume older music too.  But my experience with American Millennials as a high school and middle school teacher, as well as a summer employer, is that they do not have as much respect for nostalgia and vintage as we did at their age.  Even with Vice being available on DVD, Hulu, weekdays on COZI-TV, and on iTunes; I have yet to run into any Millennials that have watched it.  I wonder how many people we have on the forum that were born after 1984?  

I'm a "millennial" and I love vintage things. Music, movies, etc. I even listen to middle ages folk music lol.

There's also Detective_Crockett, Knight&Crockett to name a few members on this site. 

A lot of Gen-Y people that follow the "NewRetroWave" scene, and the retro scene itself are into it, Kung Fury creators. On YouTube comments in random unrelated videos I regularly (at least once a month) come across somebody with a Miami Vice character as their profile pricture. Like one guy, I replied and called him Lt Castillo, he was surprised that I knew who it was lol. 

Believe me, Miami Vice has a lot more millennial fans than you think! Maybe it's just American kids who don't appreciate anything that came before them.

• Like 1

we did kind of exhaust the topics about a dozen years ago and i fell away from posting. 

but it's a saturday morning and i've got "payback" blasting while i type this

• Like 1

• Administrators

This site (and .org) has always had it's ups and downs in participation. Right now this site, in my opinion, is riding a new high since our recent rebirth!  And just when you think every possible topic has been exhausted, surprisingly something new comes up. Just wait and see!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

This site (and .org) has always had it's ups and downs in participation. Right now this site, in my opinion, is riding a new high since our recent rebirth!  And just when you think every possible topic has been exhausted, surprisingly something new comes up. Just wait and see!

Good points Lou! Love this site !:D

I give the site a look-see once a month. I just posted in a thread regarding how us memebers will show off the Vice look this season now that's spring's here. I've bought some new clothes (ebay is the greatest vintage clothing store you can shop at) and can't wait to show you guys some of my new 'gear' lol. Only thing is I cut my hair a few weeks ago so it's at Crockett's season 3 length right now but I wanna wait a month until my hair's long enough that I'm back to the season 2 style.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I've been away for a while. I have less free time now to contribute to the forum, but I keep coming here regularly. I noticed we have new members, and the number of the young ones is growing, which is a great thing.

I also have to say that the site seems to have lost some of its core activity.
I mostly see threads about locations and trivia and sometimes things having nothing to do with the show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or blaming the members. I'm aware (and I told it several times): a matter as a TV show is a limited universe.  It comes a time when subjects start running over or begin to be duplicated. Sure we all miss the fuel members like Coop and others used to inject into this site, me myself have been contributing much more in the past.

Since I have much less time to be here now, I thought some people here might find interesting some of my scripts I shared on the forum in the past years. After all, one of the limits of online forums is: threads quickly "sink" no matter the interest they generate, so newcomers may have not seen them. Hope this will help to revamp and stimulate discussion. Here it goes:

1. This script is a long and in-depth investigation about the music Jan Hammer produced for the show.
A muisc-wise Analysis of Jan Hammer work for Mann's Miami Vice

2. This one was about the roots of the 80s visual, design and fashion style.
Miami Vice Style

3. This was my personal vision about a (no longer) possible sequel to the show.
The Last Big Missed Chance

4. In these two last posts I shared some music tracks I wrote and half-produced in 1989. They are heavily Hammer-influenced and inspired. You'll find the whole story inside the post.
MV oriented Music tracks #1

MV oriented Music tracks #2

Other than that I've been posting threads about fashion, personal vintage clothes and other things related to the show and/or the 80s. Let me know if someone wants me to "resurrect" them ;-)

JB

Edited by Jerry B.

I come on the site almost every day when I can but post primarily with locations as that is my forte :dance2:

Love this site and the show !!

1 minute ago, Mvice8489 said:

Wish there was more discussion of the 'Vice Ferrari's !!!!!!

There has been a Ferrari thread here for the past few weeks or more.

13 hours ago, Jerry B. said:

I also have to say that the site seems to have lost some of its core activity.
I mostly see threads about locations and trivia and sometimes things having nothing to do with the show.

This is a 10 year trend, though it hasn't been a straight line.  The movie and the DVD release were the last gasp of major interest.   Since then it's more about clothing, locations, hardwear, and the stars' post-Vice careers.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

This is a 10 year trend, though it hasn't been a straight line.  The movie and the DVD release were the last gasp of major interest.   Since then it's more about clothing, locations, hardwear, and the stars' post-Vice careers.  It is what it is.

Yes true - the last gasp of huge interest was around 2006 and in particular the release of the big screen Miami Vice movie and the subsequent dvd releases

:dance2:

Well then I guess it is time someone start a new thread on the Miami Vice cars :)

I started one a year and a half ago about my search for a Daytona replica.  Here is the link:

Unfortunately it really only has a handful of the same people who post on it.  And my search has been fruitless.  Seems to be nothing but junk out there for sale.  I for sure somebody would've built a HIGH QUALITY Daytona and be looking a finally selling it by now.  Doesn't appear to be the case, though.  Still, it would be great just to hear more history of Crockett's cars.