Earlier Jan Hammer Stuff

MVfan

I've seen a couple of posts about Jan Hammer music that was pre-MV, and I wanted to see if anyone was familiar with some work that he did on a soundtrack to a 1985 movie called Secret Admirer. I discovered this movie about 10 years ago or so, and really liked his music in it. If anyone is familiar with this work, does anyone know where to find some of those songs?

i have the secret admirer song he posted as a "christmas gift" in...2005, i think it wasi also have the dvd. sounds just like MV score, same instruments.

I have the soundtrack to the movie on tape, found it in a used records/cassettes store shortly after I first saw the movie. It features his score from the end of the movie, but nothing else of his. What was the track posted for Christmas of '05?

Nevermind, I just noticed your link (!). That's the same song title that was on the soundtrack that I have, but good to know that it's out there in mp3 form in case my cassette downgrades in quality. I was kind of hoping to find his opening titles score, but it probably was never released.

that mp3 sounds better than a cassette right now. you'll be glad if you download it ;)it's cool that you have the cassette, though...a nice piece of memorabilia.maybe i could make some mp3 rips off the dvd for us. would that be interesting?

I've had the lp recording of SECRET ADMIRER for years.Rick Leon did a cover of the cool main title before, but it's hard to come by. I was lucky enough to hear it. It sounded very much like the original.

hopefully, the secret admirer dvd will have the music on a separate audio channel from the dialogue so i can get some good mp3 rips.i'm working on my "brenda" cover now, so i'll have to find time.

From what I can tell, the dvd that I own doesn't have a seperate audio channel. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

the one on amazon says 2.0 dolby digital surround, and i think this is where i got mine. i don't know if this will do it or not. i guess we'll see tomorrow.

• Administrators

If you ever get the chance check out the movie "I Come In Peace" The movie came out in 1990 and some of Jan's score is taken directly from "Vice" only played in a different key. He must've made a quick buck recycling that soundtrack!

That would be awesome to have a cover of the opening titles. I have the movie on DVD, but I've never noticed a separate audio track. However, the music in the opening titles really doesn't have any background "scene" noise interfering with it (just shows a girl's hand writing a letter). If you are able to get time to do it, I would be very interested in hearing it.

you are correct, sir :)

never heard of it. i'll netflix it immediately" data-date=" though. thanks for the tip![quote=MVfan;20292">

That would be awesome to have a cover of the opening titles. I have the movie on DVD, but I've never noticed a separate audio track. However, the music in the opening titles really doesn't have any background "scene" noise interfering with it (just shows a girl's hand writing a letter). If you are able to get time to do it, I would be very interested in hearing it.

i noticed this last night. right at the end of the song, you can start to hear the ink pen scratching around on the paper a bit, and maybe the sound of that book closing, but it's very mininal. i'll rip that no problem, as soon as i get a few minutes to hook up the equipment. we're going out of town this weekend, so i hope i can get it done before then.

By the way, I once read an article featuring an interview with Jan in which he was being asked how he got started with MV. I believe he said that he had just finished work on a soundtrack for a movie that wasn't very good, so it wasn't worth mentioning. I've always wondered what soundtrack that could have been, to have been some work of his that he wasn't proud of. Any ideas?

it might have been a night in heaven. i'd have to check the dates. i haven't watched that movie because the trailer on netflix shows the movie to be almost unbearable.as for the mp3 rip, you're very welcome. i'm glad to have it myself!i watched the whole movie to see if there was anything else worth snagging while i was at it, and there was nothing that wasn't covered by noise or talking. i did however notice something i hadn't noticed the first time i watched it: in the scene where everyone gets caught making out, the music appeared in "the good collar" from season 3. the version in this movie is stripped down a bit, but the drums, bass, and guitar crunches are unmistakeable from that ep. way to recycle, jan :thumbsup:

Interesting catch - I've never noticed that before. I really liked his tracks from that film. I think I'm going to have to put that DVD on tonight.

i'll admit without the jan hammer score, i'd probably never make it through the movie, but his music makes it good.

By the way' date=' I once read an article featuring an interview with Jan in which he was being asked how he got started with MV. I believe he said that he had just finished work on a soundtrack for a movie that wasn't very good, so it wasn't worth mentioning. I've always wondered what soundtrack that could have been, to have been some work of his that he wasn't proud of. Any ideas?[/quote']Yeah. The Film "GIMMIE AN F".