Differences in DVD packaging for Seasons 2 & 4

Azure888

Well, I just got season 4 of MV and as happy as I am that I am slowly building up my collection, I was once again sadly disappointed by the design packaging of the series.In examining and comparing the two packages, it seems that there have been some improvements in season 4 packaging over season 2, but both of them so far share a common problem. Both seasons 2 and 4 arrived in this brightly colored, metallic-like outer cardboard packaging that folds into itself. Both are enclosed by another top cardboard sleeve that slips over the folded cardboard that holds the discs. To get the discs out, the movies need to be pushed out from the sleeve. This design has caused the corners of the cardboard sleeve that houses the discs to be worn out. There is actually ink missing from the corners making the product appear old. I feel cardboard is not durable enough especially with a multi-disc package, it's just too heavy and with the product standing upright on a shelf somewhere all these years, this may have contributed to the bottom of the cardboard to also appear worn. This would not have occurred had they used plastic to house the discs. Plastic would have been more durable. Did anybody else experience this problem?My next issue is again with the packaging. Season two comes in a quad fold design and season four has tri-fold design. Both fold into each other and are encased in the sleeve, but for both, the packaging never appears straight. It's more like the package is leaning sideways, (kind of like a cereal box, if you lay it down and apply slight pressure to it, it will collapse sideways onto it's seams.) This is what happened to both of the packages, so right away, again a brand new product appears to look aged. On a positive note, one thing I noticed that has improved with the season 4 release is in the discs, in the labeling at least. With season 4 I noticed they actually decided to take some time and label the discs so they have the title of MV in nice neon pink lettering. :)Season Two's discs had no title on the disc, just very small lettering placed around the part of the disc where the disc would get held in the case. Then to top it off, they go and make the discs double-sided, but I'm doubtful if Season four's disc's are double sided too, they don't look it. I'm wondering if the same packaging occurs in Season 5 and if this is just how the packaging is with the single season series. I don't have the box set so I don't know how the packaging is on those. How do you feel about the packaging of the series?

• Administrators

Seasons 1 & 2 were originally double sided discs. 3,4 & 5 are all single sided. All 5 seasons have the same cardboard slipcase, you just have to handle them like a surgeon, very delicately. It's my understanding that the complete series set has all 5 seasons on single sided discs so most likely any future season 1 & 2 sets will also be single sided. If you hold them next to each other you will notice that seasons 3-5 have a slightly wider box to fit the extra discs. If seasons 1 & 2 appear thinner then they are the old double sided disc sets.All things considered my only complaint about the packaging is that most of the pics on them and inside are from the wrong season.

The plastic disc holders that actually hold the discs in my season one packaging have broken, and now the discs fall out of thier holders. I've had problems with season 2 discs skipping, and or freezing up.No extras, where there should be PLENTY of stuff from interviews, to bloopers, to behind the scenes have not been included. Such a shame....

Seasons 1 & 2 were originally double sided discs. 3' date='4 & 5 are all single sided. All 5 seasons have the same cardboard slipcase, you just have to handle them like a surgeon, very delicately. It's my understanding that the complete series set has all 5 seasons on single sided discs so most likely any future season 1 & 2 sets will also be single sided. If you hold them next to each other you will notice that seasons 3-5 have a slightly wider box to fit the extra discs. If seasons 1 & 2 appear thinner then they are the old double sided disc sets.All things considered my only complaint about the packaging is that most of the pics on them and inside are from the wrong season.[/quote']I still need to buy season 2. Perhaps if I wait, I will get lucky and get the single-sided discs. How is the video quality on these, is it alright, because I read in reviews that the pictures sometimes looks grainy.

The plastic disc holders that actually hold the discs in my season one packaging have broken' date=' and now the discs fall out of thier holders. I've had problems with season 2 discs skipping, and or freezing up.No extras, where there should be PLENTY of stuff from interviews, to bloopers, to behind the scenes have not been included. Such a shame....[/quote']I have not ran my season 2 episodes yet, so I don't know if I will have the same problem, but that's messed up. The discs are expensive too. I paid almost $40.00 for season 2 and over $40.00 for season 4. You think they would put more quality into the design, contents, and packaging. They know people are going to collect these. They should have included a slew of bonus material on these. Now when you refer to lack of extra material is this just for season 2?I wonder if the box set gives you more for your money. If anybody has the box set can you please post to the thread. My problem is that I don't like the double-sided discs and the fact that they didn't even put a photo nor a label on the disc. I don't know if this is because the disc is double-sided though. Speaking of the plastic disc holders. I'm afraid that season 4 discs will break or become scratched due to the way they are packaged. They actually have 2 of them semi-stacked one partially over the other. I have a hard time getting a grip on the disc to pop it out.

So could someone please post an image of the insides of all DVDs please? I forget what they look like (can't find mine at the moment).

The plastic disc holders that actually hold the discs in my season one packaging have broken' date=' and now the discs fall out of thier holders. I've had problems with season 2 discs skipping, and or freezing up.No extras, where there should be PLENTY of stuff from interviews, to bloopers, to behind the scenes have not been included. Such a shame....[/quote']I've had major problems with the Season 2 discs skipping, and it's ALWAYS on Side B and usually the latter episodes on that side.It's downright frustrating. I'm not so concerned about Seasons 3-5, but I certaintly hope one day Universal re-releases Seasons 1 & 2 on single-sided discs for seperate release. I hope ALL Vice Seasons get re-released in thin-pak's one day. I hate these digi-paks.

I still need to buy season 2. Perhaps if I wait' date=' I will get lucky and get the single-sided discs.[/quote']Oops, major blooper. It's season 1 I need to buy. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm having trouble with season one discs. I watched them twice over a couple years. I go to watch them the third time and some of the episodes are freezing. what the heck? how can they be fine, and then be bad later. i havn't scratched them, or anything.

I went to walmart, bestbuy, and Fry's electronics today, and none of them had Miami Vice on dvd! Except fry's had the complete series set. Really weird.It wasn't too long ago i saw them on store shelves.

• Administrators

I still see them regularly at my local New Jersey Bestbuys

When i get the chance i'm going to look at another Best Buy. I'm not sure though if i will buy it if it's the double sided discs. It actually says on the back dual sided. The 3-5 seasons say dual layer or something instead. I'm pretty disgusted about having to buy another copy. Only dvd's i've ever had to take back are double sided tv shows.