Episode #95 "Borrasca"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

One thing I really liked in this one was the colors & pastels used at the beginning! I always loved the visuals, especially at the beginning of an episode...helped get me in the mood! :glossy:

I also like the lighting in all the night and club scenes. Very Miami Vice! Also, anytime Castillo goes in the field is a major plus for me. EJO is a fantastic actor. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tom said:

I know what you mean as my daughter also works in this industry. But there is a difference between animal neglect and really killing it on purpose. What I want to say: I strongly doubt that anyone on the MV set killed the cock with his own hands for the final scene. That would have been impossible even in the 80s (SAG union members would not have accepted this, as actors always have been very animal loving). And, that the feathers looked the same was for sure not a coincidence but a detail that they considered when providing a (dead) second animal for that part.

P.S. I have a cat myself and had water turtles for decades that were rescued from a black market seller.

Having worked a couple of years in production in Hollywood, I can add that SAG also requires an observer from an outside organization whenever there are live animals on the set.  I don’t know all the details about how this arrangement works, but I remember seeing these observers on a few occasions and learning about these rules.  I’m sure it’s not a perfect system, but whenever you see the credit that no animals were harmed during filming, that’s a credit approved by this process.

I can also add that the producers and director, regardless of their feelings about animal welfare, are VERY careful of running afoul of union rules from any of the guilds.  I recall one day on location where the director took a LOT of heat because he was unable to complete the last page of the day’s filming before a second meal break was required by union rules.  This happened after 12 hours and everything stopped for a half an hour for the meal.  

The crazy part was that after the meal, we only filmed for about 20-25 more minutes then wrapped.  We also were paid triple time for those last few minutes!  The point being, the fines for breaking the union rules were higher than providing the whole cast and crew with a meal and paying everyone triple time after that.

I can’t speak to productions in the UK.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I also like the lighting in all the night and club scenes. Very Miami Vice! Also, anytime Castillo goes in the field is a major plus for me. EJO is a fantastic actor. 

Totally agree with this...love the colors & lighting, and Castillo in the field is always a plus! :dance2:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This was a pretty good Season 5 episode, and another awesome Castillo centered one...and EJO did a superb job! The scenes of rivalry between him and Reece always kept you on edge because you knew somewhere along the line something was gonna' happen. ;)

But, the acting was awesome and very intense! :thumbsup: I loved the opening song, Dogs of War by Pink Floyd! :radio: Superb song that totally helped create the mood for the scene, and the all-out gun war that followed! The other notable song was I want Your Hands On Me by Sinead O'Connor--of course that would be her song. :p 

Speaking of Sinead's song, it was playing during the wild club scene...the multi-colored Medusa-looking dancers, and the lighting & colors used were bizarre & freaky, and not my "scene"...but they were interesting to watch on TV. I loved the colors used during this episode and especially the pastel buildings at the beginning! :glossy: 

The action throughout this one was sizzling, and there was constant threat of gunfire or killings all the time! I love the old Lincoln at the beginning exploding. :cool: Juan Fernandez, as Borrasca, was always the perfect bad guy...but I mainly remember him as one of the bad guys in Crocodile Dundee II around the same time, lol! :) But, Brion James was perfect for the role of Edward Reece! He always played the perfect sleezy, scuzzy, freaky-looking, evil bad guy you loved to hate! He was "sick" and creepy :sick: and you only wish he could have been taken out by Castillo too. :funky:

I know this was one where Don Johnson was absent...but I did think the scene where Tubbs "has" to explain why, was a little much. Just say Crockett was testifying in another case and wasn't available...you don't have to go on about how he really wished Sonny was there, because he could really help, and on and on. It was a little over-the-top. Plus, as much as I like Switek, and wanted to see him get in on more of the action...poor Stan just could not fill that role of a serious drug dealer/buyer. He still appeared goofy in his slicked back hair, oversized suits, while still "popping" out his corny one-liners. :rolleyes: 

However, I think this is the first episode we start to realize that Switek has a gambling problem. It was an Interesting story arc for Stan, that I did think Michael Talbott did an amazing job with. :clap: The scene where Switek and Tubbs discover Castillo's friend Art chopped to pieces with machetes was nasty...but pretty effective! I did find the part where Stan gets sick right after seeing that realistic, and understandable.

But, poor Gina once again has horrible clothes and hairdos--I mean really?? She's the hottest one there but her fashion makes no sense! :eek: The ending was superb--love how Castillo finally showed he's human after all! He actually took matters into his own hands...yet still did the right thing. 

There were a few aspects that were goofy, or not quite there, for me (as mentioned above)...but overall I enjoyed this one. Good Castillo episode, awesome action and colors...I originally gave it an 8, and I still do. :cheers:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is more like it - after the dreary "Bad Timing" and all of the Sonny Burnett nuttiness.  "The Dogs of War" is an excellent track, getting this episode off to a good start. And, as I'm "Jack Gretzky," it's always good to see my old buddy Marty doing a lot of the heavy lifting in an episode. 

Stan takes over for Sonny in this one - it makes me wonder if this was earlier written as a Sonny/Tubbs adventure, but because of all the "recovering from being Burnett" drama, it was revised for Switek to take over some of Crockett's lines. Or maybe not.  

A good "textured" atmosphere to many of the sequences.  The first S5 ep I can sink my teeth into.  Spooky-eyed Brion James adds to the, uh, fun.  I like this one for its sheer verve, less so for once more into the gray areas of politics and espionage aspect.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

One of my favorite S5 episodes for me. A 9 all the way. Could have been a 9.5/10 if DJ had been in it.

Switek was excellent and looked great with that suit. Watching the beach scene with Stan and Rico made me sweat! :hot:

The filming was very well done and style was spot on (the colored medusa dancers scene was mesmerizing to watch). Particularly the night club scenes and the Uribe's murder scene for the camera work.

I don't think this episode was written with DJ in mind as lead otherwise we wouldn't have Stan ringing the bookie. By the way, I suppose Sonny was testifying for the events of the previous episodes.
I wish we had seen more of Brion James 'Edward Reese' before the end of the series, instead of shows like 'miracle man' or 'leap of faith'....His character had potential. Castillo did not listen to his warning and took out Borrasca to avenge Uribe's death (similar to Crockett killing Hackman). It would have been interesting to see his comeback and how he would make Castillo's life difficult. Reese was one of the few men walking into the Lieutenant's office and his own house uninvited...do you think Marty was actually expecting a visit at his place? By his lines 'you are not welcome here' he could tell it was him...he must have recognized the steps...a former spook can make out one another i think...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

One of my favorite S5 episodes for me. A 9 all the way. Could have been a 9.5/10 if DJ had been in it.

Switek was excellent and looked great with that suit. Watching the beach scene with Stan and Rico made me sweat! :hot:

The filming was very well done and style was spot on (the colored medusa dancers scene was mesmerizing to watch). Particularly the night club scenes and the Uribe's murder scene for the camera work.

I don't think this episode was written with DJ in mind as lead otherwise we wouldn't have Stan ringing the bookie. By the way, I suppose Sonny was testifying for the events of the previous episodes.
I wish we had seen more of Brion James 'Edward Reese' before the end of the series, instead of shows like 'miracle man' or 'leap of faith'....His character had potential. Castillo did not listen to his warning and took out Borrasca to avenge Uribe's death (similar to Crockett killing Hackman). It would have been interesting to see his comeback and how he would make Castillo's life difficult. Reese was one of the few men walking into the Lieutenant's office and his own house uninvited...do you think Marty was actually expecting a visit at his place? By his lines 'you are not welcome here' he could tell it was him...he must have recognized the steps...a former spook can make out one another i think...

Yeah, I think that the years of being a “spook”/DEA agent/secret ops of some kind, etc...like Castillo, you develop that proverbial sixth sense. He can basically  “feel” when someone has been, or is in his house, office, etc... Recognizing footsteps or certain sound a person makes when they walk could very well be, and as gross as this is, he may have learned to recognize a smell with certain people.

I’ve always thought it was strange that NBC had Crockett kill Hackman in self defense, for supposed fear of having one of the main cops go vigilante on the show...yet, in the very next episode after that, they allow him to be turned into a drug-thug killer?? :eek: (Correction): And in this episode Castillo gets to take out Borrasca vigilante style, to get back at Reese? It just seemed like producers & writers by this time were all over the place, and very disorganized/disjointed. ?( 

But, having Reese return, instead of being taken out right away, would have been interesting. Definitely better idea than “Miracle Man” or “Leap of Faith”...but then again (except for “Missing Hours” and “Everybody’s in Showbiz”) most episodes were better than those two. :p 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I think that the years of being a “spook”/DEA agent/secret ops of some kind, etc...like Castillo, you develop that proverbial sixth sense. He can basically  “feel” when someone has been, or is in his house, office, etc... Recognizing footsteps or certain sound a person makes when they walk could very well be, and as gross as this is, he may have learned to recognize a smell with certain people.

I’ve always thought it was strange that NBC had Crockett kill Hackman in self defense, for supposed fear of having one of the main cops go vigilante on the show...yet, in the very next episode after that, they allow him to be turned into a drug-thug killer?? :eek: And in this episode Castillo gets to take out Reese vigilante style? It just seemed like producers & writers by this time were all over the place, and very disorganized/disjointed. ?( 

But, having Reese return, instead of being taken out right away, would have been interesting. Definitely better idea than “Miracle Man” or “Leap of Faith”...but then again (except for “Missing Hours” and “Everybody’s in Showbiz”) most episodes were better than those two. :p 

Castillo actually sniped Borrasca (Martillo). And i would like to add Tim Truman score compliments very well with the dark tone of S5, especially in this episode.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Castillo actually sniped Borrasca (Martillo). And i would like to add Tim Truman score compliments very well with the dark tone of S5, especially in this episode.

This is true...it was Borrasca he took out, to get revenge on Reese. The show-music for the last couple seasons was okay, although I still liked Jan Hammer’s themes best. But, the plots of the episodes, and even character stories seemed to bounce all over the place & everything just seemed disjointed and kind of “chaotic”. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is true...it was Borrasca he took out, to get revenge on Reese. The show-music for the last couple seasons was okay, although I still liked Jan Hammer’s themes best. But, the plots of the episodes, and even character stories seemed to bounce all over the place & everything just seemed disjointed and kind of “chaotic”. 

Tim Truman music had such a late 80s vibe...

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just watched this episode tonight and thought I’d share some of my thoughts. 

Upon multiple rewatches of Borrasca, I’ve come to realise that Sonny’s absence isn’t really felt here in this episode. Unlike Borrasca, episodes such as The Cell Within and Miracle Man really could’ve been improved with more Crockett screen time. With Borrasca, I was fully involved with the story and maybe due to the pacing, I wasn’t bored and wishing for more Sonny Crockett. 

Loved the Stan/gambling scene, so subtle yet effective upon rewatching. I really wish we had more sub plots like this one, scattered within Season 5. 

I forgot Mario Sanchez also appeared in this episode. With his appearance so well hidden, I only recognised him by his voice.

Hands on me by Sinead O’Connor which featured here, is such a great song and perfectly used in this episode. It’s kinda funny because I love her debut album, very pop punk progressive stuff but I’m not a fan of her later work which she is widely known for. 

I didn’t really think this was a Castillo episode but it really is. Having his friend Arturo be killed, then the whole Reece backstory deal, Castillo is very much at the heart of this episode. Maybe because of the episode title, when I think of this episode I immediately think of the character Borrasca, and the episode being about him. Borrasca plays a big part, but besides the opening scene and final scene, his screen time is thinly scattered throughout.

Anyways great episode, one of the strongest of season 5 imo. It could of been better but considering they had no Sonny, the episode still delivered on many levels. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miami Beau said:

I just watched this episode tonight and thought I’d share some of my thoughts. 

Upon multiple rewatches of Borrasca, I’ve come to realise that Sonny’s absence isn’t really felt here in this episode. Unlike Borrasca, episodes such as The Cell Within and Miracle Man really could’ve been improved with more Crockett screen time. With Borrasca, I was fully involved with the story and maybe due to the pacing, I wasn’t bored and wishing for more Sonny Crockett. 

Loved the Stan/gambling scene, so subtle yet effective upon rewatching. I really wish we had more sub plots like this one, scattered within Season 5. 

I forgot Mario Sanchez also appeared in this episode. With his appearance so well hidden, I only recognised him by his voice.

Hands on me by Sinead O’Connor which featured here, is such a great song and perfectly used in this episode. It’s kinda funny because I love her debut album, very pop punk progressive stuff but I’m not a fan of her later work which she is widely known for. 

I didn’t really think this was a Castillo episode but it really is. Having his friend Arturo be killed, then the whole Reece backstory deal, Castillo is very much at the heart of this episode. Maybe because of the episode title, when I think of this episode I immediately think of the character Borrasca, and the episode being about him. Borrasca plays a big part, but besides the opening scene and final scene, his screen time is thinly scattered throughout.

Anyways great episode, one of the strongest of season 5 imo. It could of been better but considering they had no Sonny, the episode still delivered on many levels. 

Nothing could have helped “Miracle Man” (except not making it), lol! :p 

But, I do enjoy this episode “Borrasca”! Very good Castillo-centered one & I too don’t miss Crockett, necessarily. Same thing with 1st season’s “Home Invaders”...story & action were captivating enough that I didn’t freak out because Tubbs wasn’t there.

I don’t mind the few episodes over the course of the show, that for whatever reason didn’t showcase, or even have, either Crockett or Tubbs. It gave a chance for others to shine. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know the name of the song playing in the nightclub where Castillo talks to Borrasca?

I can't find it anywhere and I even used shazam but no luck.

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Does anyone know the name of the song playing in the nightclub where Castillo talks to Borrasca?

I can't find it anywhere and I even used shazam but no luck.

You mean the Sinead O’Connor song? I think it’s called “Put Your Hands On Me” or something. Lemme know if it’s another one. Season 5 is not my forte. :) 

I like this episode though. :thumbsup:

Edit: I just pulled it up on Tubi. I’m 99% sure it’s Tim Truman. That bird like sound is on some of his other cues. I know the orchestra hits and uptempo feel are unlike most of his MV work, but I guess he was trying to fit the club scene here.

@Tom or any other Truman fans care to weigh in?

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

You mean the Sinead O’Connor song? I think it’s called “Put Your Hands On Me” or something. Lemme know if it’s another one. Season 5 is not my forte. :) 

Edit: I just pulled it up on Tubi. I’m 99% sure it’s Tim Truman. That bird like sound is on some of his other cues. I know the orchestra hits and uptempo feel are unlike most of his MV work, but I guess he was trying to fit the club scene here.

yes, that´s a Truman score (no song, as no one sings) and no third party music.

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2023 at 12:41 PM, Dadrian said:

Thanks Dadrian and Tom, could have sworn that this was an instrumental pop song, by INXS or someone else similar.  

Tim is very versatile. 

I like "Borrasca" as well :) even though Sonny is not present Edward puts in an excellent performance for the both of them.

Edited by RedDragon86

vor 29 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

Thanks Dadrian and Tom, could have sworn that this was an instrumental pop song, by INXS or someone else similar.  

Tim is very versatile. 

I like "Borrasca" as well :) even though Sonny is not present Edward puts in an excellent performance for the both of them.

Attached is the track. It’s Truman with some nice artificial voices.

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Tom said:

yes, that´s a Truman score (no song, as no one sings) and no third party music.

He was wearing a blazer with with metal buttons when he made it :p :)