Daytona Spyder

Bigsarg

February 12, 2016

FAKE DAYTONA

there is a ruse being perpetrated on the Miami vice fans!

At the Miami international boat show the is a guy who has a Daytona displayed along with a scarab boat, claiming it is the sister car of the stunt car used on the set. When the real stunt car couldn't be used, then this car was used. 

The actress who played Trudy is charging $20 for signed autographs and $30 to set in it w here and get a picture taken. She and he are telling fans this ruse. If you don't pay they want give you the time of day. 

The car he is showing is the car that Volo Musium sold a few months back that was in Georgia. I confirmed this with another member that had flown to Ga to see the car. 

image.jpeg

Got ya. Well he told me it was one of three cars used on the set. It was the sister car to the stunt car. I have two buddies standing there listening to him with me. 

I was talking to Olivia Brown and she asked me if I bought any raffle tickets. Which I can't remember what you would win. But it was something that you got to do with her. Like a boat ride or something. No clue really.  But when I said no that I wasn't buying any tickets. She didn't show me the time of day any more. My friend even said "that was rude".  

I'm not sure if that owner of the car is on the site or not. But if he is, I hope he's been reading this and other comments. Cause he should realize that M V fans know the truth about these cars. 

image.jpeg

Even yesterday he said it is one of the cars in the show. So who has the real car. I would think he would have had an injunction served to him by the end of the boat show  if he didn't have the real car. My friends who are not fans have looked thru the forum and they are thinking he has it.  And I see thier point. 

Not sure I am following your last comment, but Car 1 (stunt car) is owned by Volo, and Car 4 (camera car) is owned by Camera Daytona. Those are the only 2 (replica) Daytonas used in the tv series, and it is well documented in the Ferrari Daytona thread and by the respective owners.

The car in FL is JN's car, and while it is a very close replica to the show cars as they appeared during their run in the series, it was not driven in the series. I would venture to say it is likely the only replica Daytona in existence that closely resembles the cars as they appeared in the series. (other than Car 1 and Car 4, of course)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

what you just stated is exactly what I am telling my friends that went to the boat show with me. However from the write up in the advertisements I thought I was seeing the Volo car. When the owner came over I asked him when he finished it and made it more like it was on the show. His reply stumped me and I asked if he was from Volo Musium. He replied no. I then realized that this was not the car I thought it was. 

However, my friends are under the assumption as I am sure the countless many patrons that got thier pic taken with the actress and sitting in the car that it is the real car. My friends browsed thru the forum and Came to thier on conclusion: he is thier. He is advertising it as the car. No one has stopped him. Even after Volo Musium commented on this thread. Then he has more proof to the unaware fan than anyone else. It must be the car. I can not make them believe me. I can only show them articles and comments on the forum. All of which is not convincing enough to prove my facts. So. I see thier point and I am as confused as the many fans out thier that thought they knew the truth about these cars.

Owning a well documented mcburnie myself it just makes me a bit more upset then others that just love the car. Both of my friends believe they have pictures with the real car and I can't change thier minds. 

I was not at the boat show so I don't know what the new owner of Jurassic narc's car is telling people, but this issue has been discussed exhaustively in the Ferrari Daytonas thread. I realize it is a very long thread, but there is much discussion on this very topic in there. There was much discussion about comparing VIN numbers of both Car 4 and Car 1 to Universal Studios documents. No other car can make that claim, that its VIN number is validated by documents from Universal Studios. So if he claims he has 'proof', I'd ask to see what he is referring to.

I also am a McBurnie owner and I have one of the later faux Ferrari interiors so this topic has engaged me for the last 5 years since I purchased mine, and the Volo car was only recently validated (some months back) by its VIN number to those documents. And you can always PM Jurassic narc and he may give you more history on his car. He has a Roberts body (not McBurnie) and made numerous changes to his car to make it the beauty it is today. And most people are not going to know the difference anyway, unless they have studied these cars or own one.

BigSarg-

I can ASSURE YOU 100% that the car at the boat show was NEVER on 'Vice. I'd stake both my nuts on it.   He bought that car from JN in Atlanta. I know this because I was also looking at buying JN's car at the same time.   JN even posted a picture of the buyer clown standing next to his new car.  I personally drove and looked at JN's car.  JN's car was pretty nice but it definitely was not an exact replica of the show car.  You'd notice that if u saw it in person  (These cars can all look "similar" in pictures).  No question about it.  Your friends are falling for the typical "this is the actual Vice car" BS.    It is a scam that has been pulled by many Daytona replica owners on unsuspecting fans. 

I agree. But when you drive 6 hrs telling friends the story of the lost Daytona and that we are going to see it. You get there and find out it is not the car. Then you tell them what's going on and how this guy is full of it. 

Then you drive 6 hrs hearing how they found this (on the Internet) and oh look here is another car that was in the show and who are these people that are on that forums. what proof do they have. There is nothing to see. The actress from the show is saying it's the car. You have to admit that they have good points. It was a funny and sometimes frustrating conversation. The final outcome is they have a picture of the real car and the actress and I don't know what is what. 

Now what difference in this big world does it matter? It doesn't. Does it make my car more or less valuable? No it has no bearing on it at all. But now when I am at car shows.  I will not tell the vice car story cause I'm not going to be corrected and told I'm wrong. I have no proof. Just because I am a Daytona owner I should be believed. I think not! and being there are few owners of these cars. It is a major percentage of people that will never hear the history of these cars. It is sad that this guy can do this. 

As stated by Sonny-Burnett, I own car number 4 (or sometimes called the camera car) and have owned it since 1988.  I have a lot of documentation and have spent time with both Tom McBurnie (who built the cars) and Carl Roberts (who maintained the cars while they were used on the show and who ultimately got the cars from Universal and subsequently sold my car).  And, as also stated, the car that Volo Museum has was verified to be car #1 by the serial number on the frame of the car.  There were only 2 cars used in the MV series as has been verified by a number of people associated with the show.  I have several pieces of documentation that show the serial numbers of both cars as well as a copy of the Universal title for my car.

Over the years there have been several people who have claimed to have one of the two cars.  If they try to sell them by telling people they were a car used in the series, they are setting themselves up for a big lawsuit.  I don't think anyone would buy a car like that for a lot of money without doing their homework - and it's pretty easy to find out the truth here by doing an Internet search.

It's too bad people do what this guy is doing just to make a few bucks.

• Like 1

This is the picture from JN, shows his Ex-Daytona and the new owner. From the picture in the opening of this thread i think, this is the same guy from the boatshow. Check the top cover on this picture and compare this with the picture of Trudy above - its the same.

gallery_101_10_100570.jpg

Edited by Pritt

That picture is exactly what I was referring to as well.  The guy is a liar.  No disrespect, but your friends have no clue what the heck they're even talking about.  BTW, don't u find it interesting that he has never posted on this site?  Probably knows that he'll be discovered as a fraud here. 

Really guys?????????????????

Does it matter?

In the pilot they used an actual Ferrari. the owner was freaking behind the cameras during filming as he did not want his car scratched( I can understand why). After the pilot he refused to let them use his car for the torturous scripts coming up so Universal made REPLICA CARS.

So.......i8n essence , all the cars are faux pas replicas and none are real!

They are all Vette chassis with fiberglass shells so who cares? They still look awesome and are a good representation of a real classic and affordable to those with a moderate income level because I will never be able to afford a real Ferrari, although I did have one for a weekend back in 1998. Being able to drive one for a while is the closest I will ever come so maybe someday owning a replica would be cool.

Remember they are all replicas................................

14 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

Over the years there have been several people who have claimed to have one of the two cars.  If they try to sell them by telling people they were a car used in the series, they are setting themselves up for a big lawsuit.  I don't think anyone would buy a car like that for a lot of money without doing their homework - and it's pretty easy to find out the truth here by doing an Internet search.

It's too bad people do what this guy is doing just to make a few bucks.

Well said, and we have indeed seen a few pretenders over the years claiming their cars were used in the Series. If I had a $5 for every time I heard that claim.....

9 hours ago, Pritt said:

This is the picture from JN, shows his Ex-Daytona and the new owner. From the picture in the opening of this thread i think, this is the same guy from the boatshow. Check the top cover on this picture and compare this with the picture of Trudy above - its the same.

gallery_101_10_100570.jpg

Yep, the same, and note the Rowley/Roberts (JNs) grill on the photo from the FL show posted by Scarab here:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12611-miami-vice-selected-as-theme-for-the-2016-miami-boat-show/#comment-197881

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Let there be no doubt, that WAS my car.  Again, CameraDaytona is the expert.

And my car looks more like the car in the show than Olivia looks like Trudy, just saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jurassic narc said:

Let there be no doubt, that WAS my car.  Again, CameraDaytona is the expert.

And my car looks more like the car in the show than Olivia looks like Trudy, just saying.

LOL!   :)  

For those in here who have not read the Ferrari Daytona thread, Jurassic narc and CameraDaytona are THE experts on all things Vice Daytona.

They have done extensive research on the history of the show cars, and spoken with Tom McBurnie (who built them) and Carl Roberts who maintained them, among others. They have records from Universal, authenticating the VIN numbers of Car 1 and Car 4 as CD mentioned in another post.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

8 minutes ago, Scarab KV said:

This is the guy's site.

http://www.miamivice38kv.com

You have to scroll beyond the sponsors to get to the car. 

So here it is in writing on the Martino website, see the ABOUT US page:

"The latest addition to David’s vast collection is the original Miami Vice filming boat and Ferrari."   and,

"Miami Vice Daytona car… Built by renowned builder of all the Miami Vice car….Carl Roberts… Identical Sister car to the main filming car for Miami Vice season 1 and 2.. Even retains the original license plate used on the Miami Vice show…"

But not to be outdone:

"I actually appeared in an episode of Miami Vice. Don couldn’t make it, so I stood in form him. I am just kidding, I was an extra on the set and it was a lot of fun."

Someone should let him know Roberts didn't build the show cars....he maintained them. And the license plate is a copy, just like the one I have from Ebay.

Geez.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

So here it is in writing on the Martino website, see the ABOUT US page:

"The latest addition to David’s vast collection is the original Miami Vice filming boat and Ferrari."   and,

"Miami Vice Daytona car… Built by renowned builder of all the Miami Vice car….Carl Roberts… Identical Sister car to the main filming car for Miami Vice season 1 and 2.. Even retains the original license plate used on the Miami Vice show…"

But not to be outdone:

"I actually appeared in an episode of Miami Vice. Don couldn’t make it, so I stood in form him. I am just kidding, I was an extra on the set and it was a lot of fun."

Someone should let him know Roberts didn't build the show cars....he maintained them. And the license plate is a copy, just like the one I have from Ebay.

Geez.

I figured you'd get a kick out of that.

I don't think Olivia knew any better, other than what he told her. How could she know?

As I stated earlier, I had a lengthy conversation with her as an interviewer for SeriousOffshore.com  on Thursday. At that point she seemed to be on with his program.

By the time we spoke again on Saturday, I think she was beginning to see through him.

She said she was getting weirded out by him lol

• Like 1