Greetings from Colombia

Mister Roman

Hello All,

In my enthusiasm to post about shoes I had omitted my intro! 

Last name is Roman, thus my user name.

Born in 75', grew up in Los Angeles and can still remember the 80's. 

I saw the Miami Vice show at Universal Studios at age 12 or so, though I must admit I was not a fan of the show back then at that age, never watched it. So I was a late comer to the show, it's been within the last few years, and realized I had been waiting to experience it for a long time. 

I have a background in computers, and it was a way of life for me for many years. I eventually went into Sales and Business. This transformed my life, I actually got one :) because for too long all I did was work/study/practice 18 hours a day basically year round. Life was an amazing journey. In black and white! In 1 and 0. No social life. No . . . that wonderful something. I was not unhappy, I was simply missing out!

Sales and Business, changed my life for the better, in every way. The period of transformation took a couple of years. Part of this transformation was fueled by exploring and enjoying new art forms, and Miami Vice was at the core of these. I began to truly appreciate colors, aesthetics, and human verbal interaction. I began to acknowledge many facets of the human experience that I had hitherto sort of discarded as inefficient and inconsequential. And at the same time the techhead in me pointed out the modular and timeless elements of this art form we cherish here.

30 odd years later, Cooper and Burnett are only "missing" iphones. The situations, the crimes, the criminals, even the core investigation techniques - all there! 

I see Miami Vice as the highest expression of that special something, beyond the 80's, beyond Florida even - much as I enjoy the accuracy of the fashion discussions, and value the concept of parameters, I view the essence of this as a bottomless fountain of inspiration grand enough to engender new Cool worthy of the source! 

BTW, the change in this MV fan didn't all just amount to internal experience and personal growth: the change in my personality coupled with the industry I am in plus some skills from my previous life, has led to a most welcome and dramatic effect upon my finances. Sales and Business have put a roof over my head (bought and paid for) nice clothes on my back, nice things all over. And empowerment and dignity. I went from looking like a 30 something college student and being treated like a vagrant down here, to I walk into a mall, even COPS greet me with respect, everywhere I go, Sir this, Sir that, and this all in a very rude third world country.

Thank you for reading my intro, I look forward to much sharing and enjoyment here. 

Mr. Roman

• Like 2

Welcome Mister Roman and thank you for explaining how Miami Vice had a good influence on your persona......and your life!  :thumbsup: :cool:

Edited by Tony D.

A new kid in town! Hey pal, great seeing someone new sharing our interest in the stylish way of southern law enforcement, Welcome!

Edited by daytona365

daytona365: 

Thank you sir! I believe I might consider a career in southern law enforcement.

Tony D.:

Thank you kindly. It goes to show, there are hundreds and hundreds of forum posts in programmer monasteries authored by me, and not a single word about Mr. Roman. 

Matt5:

and populated by great people!

• 1 month later...

Thank you Matt, I certainly am. Putting together my post about the 1911 pistol was a fun exercise, and I have much enjoyed seeing everyone's enthusiasm about every single thing :) 

I just wish we could all attend one big party, many of the people here strike me as though they would be very enjoyable to partake of some Bourbon with indeed! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:36 AM, Mister Roman said:

Thank you Matt, I certainly am. Putting together my post about the 1911 pistol was a fun exercise, and I have much enjoyed seeing everyone's enthusiasm about every single thing :) 

I just wish we could all attend one big party, many of the people here strike me as though they would be very enjoyable to partake of some Bourbon with indeed! 

We tried to have a big Miami Vice party but it's hard getting everyone down to Miami at the same time ......and expensive, too!

Ell.a  and Alex had some small parties in Paris, France.

Edited by Tony D.

Yeah that would be hard to do get several people to Miami or anywhere at once. 

As for expense, I think there are many suitable places in the Caribbean not as spendy as Miami. I think Jamaica would be great.

Being a Tubbs fashion fan, this is an outfit I like from "The Afternoon Plane" (which I love) I am going to put together proper for myself, and what I will wear to any MV party:

The Afternoon Plane.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2016 at 6:26 PM, Mister Roman said:

Yeah that would be hard to do get several people to Miami or anywhere at once. 

As for expense, I think there are many suitable places in the Caribbean not as spendy as Miami. I think Jamaica would be great.

Being a Tubbs fashion fan, this is an outfit I like from "The Afternoon Plane" (which I love) I am going to put together proper for myself, and what I will wear to any MV party:

The Afternoon Plane.png

tha's a great look 

• Like 1

Thanks Matt5! I like it for several reasons:

- It's doable as in I can have the woven belt and those style shoes (I've taken a much closer look than this screenshot of course, and will provide shoe maker and leather craftsman images) made here, the pants I can get off the rack basically with some searching I am confident, and the shirt I can find the right color cloth to have it made too. Pants too if I can't find something that satisfies off rack, might even be better to have them made also. Point is, it's doable. Some of the cool 80's style shirts we see on show are not something I can have made at reasonable cost, would have to have the cloth made, and the factory only makes bolts of cloth at a time . . . 

- It's Tubbs! I like Crockett's style, but I love Tubbs and his fashion. 

- It's a nice look, and to me timeless: not too overt, or too era specific. 

- It's VERY Vice! The shoes and belt color match the pants, which amounts to a bit of color over matching and that in many many instances is Vice right there! Good style conventions would change the pants to a darker color that complements shirt/belt/shoes but that is fine with me, it's a Vice look which I love.  

I get the good style conventions from my NYC Stockbroker friend, who has closet full of $5K suits, and good taste. I follow those except for the color over matching at times ;-)