Recommendations for hotels on Ocean Drive

Bilders

Good morning from Australia to everyone,

I am looking at booking in some accommodation in mid August in Miami. I would like to spend at least a couple of nights on Ocean Drive and take in the views. Also I am open to other suggestions with great view points which aren't necessarily on the ocean. So please feel free to put your suggestions forward!

The Essex House, seen in The Savage and Jack of all Trades is a classic Art Deco Hotel, nice place, right behind the Clevelander and owned by the same folks so you get pool privileges. 

I stayed at the Essex House in 2003. It was nice. 

I stayed at The Wave in 2006. It was a bad experience. 

Also the noise of the night life on South Beach kept me awake at both hotels, but I guess that's to be expected. 

Edited by nofretz
  • Thanks 1

Just stayed at the Congress for the boat show. It was as nice as can be expected for the Art Decos and next door to the Clevelander. Carlyle has hotel rooms or condos like the Congress. The Penguin is inexpensive at $127 a night if you don't mind a very small room and very reasonable food prices. Make sure you sit at Raul's table. Finnegan's is also reasonably priced

Expect an all night party if you stay between 9th and 13th streets or stay a little north. Ocean Dr is an awesome experience at night, but be prepared for sticker shock. Clevelander and Mangos are a must or if you want a little quieter place, go north to the end of Ocean at 15th to Tequila Chicas.

Lots of Vice shooting locations along Ocean. Enjoy the ride .

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback everyone. No surprise that Jim has given his verdict :) Cheers mate.

Scarab KV, when you refer to 'sticker shock', what would this be in reference to? Are people going to be going wild on the streets and putting stickers on passers by? :p

1 hour ago, Bilders said:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. No surprise that Jim has given his verdict :) Cheers mate.

Scarab KV, when you refer to 'sticker shock', what would this be in reference to? Are people going to be going wild on the streets and putting stickers on passers by? :p

Meals and drinks can get pricey. 

$10 beers, $20 drinks and $160 super Margaritas aren't out of the question. 

Meals are all over the board on price

• Thanks 1

I would recommend these two hotels;

Courtyard Marriott 1530 Washington Avenue

Crest Hotel Suites 1670 James Avenue

Both are in walking distance of Ocean Drive and are in more quiet areas. Also, Miami can be very humid in the summer but I'd imagine an Aussie would be used to humidity

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bilders said:

Sticker shock is when people are surprised by how high a price is.  "Sticker" refers to the price sticker.

Yeah that makes sense based on some of the poor reviews people have had on being fleeced on drink prices.

The humidity won't be a problem as my wife and I moved to North Queensland in Australia where the humidity is quite relative to Miami. So we've been in true conditions for it!

@Tommy Vercetti thanks for your further recommendations. I'll take a look!

The Clevelander Hotel, hands down my favorite on Ocean (1020 Ocean Drive), right smack in the middle of everything, it was recently renovated and is always a non-stop party (if that is what you are looking for).,,and some scenes of "Miami Vice" were even shot there as well!  Just be wary of the "tip is included in your bill" scenario with anything you eat or drink there:

http://www.clevelander.com/

Edited by mvnyc

I will be going there expecting for either the tip to be included in every bill, or added on at the end. Is the standard still 15%? We don't mind tipping as for my wife and I it is second nature when we enjoy our meals here in Australia. But tipping itself is not mandatory, and people aren't frowned upon if they leave none.

In particular, The Carlyle has a lot of bad reviews about their misleading drink prices.

10 hours ago, Bilders said:

I will be going there expecting for either the tip to be included in every bill, or added on at the end. Is the standard still 15%? We don't mind tipping as for my wife and I it is second nature when we enjoy our meals here in Australia. But tipping itself is not mandatory, and people aren't frowned upon if they leave none.

In particular, The Carlyle has a lot of bad reviews about their misleading drink prices.

The tip is included everywhere at the normal 20%. The tips are split amongst all the wait staff, so I usually give our waiter cash on the side if they give good service. The night we had our Vice party at the Clevelander, our waitress was off the charts. She kept finding more tables for us to pull together as the party grew and kept the drinks flowing. We had a big crew and weren't her only customers. That girl ran her tail off and was a lot of fun. We left her a sizeable cash tip for herself. Here stateside, servers make less then minimum wage and rely on tips. 

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the input and information. Knowing that their flat wages are quite low puts it into perspective.

Hopefully I am not faced with a situation similar to some of the reviews at the Carlyle where the waiters/waitresses were at times unpleasant and misleading about the specials (leading to exorbitant prices). As long as I am getting par level service or higher, it's all gravy :)

Every hotel has a sidewalk restaurant under awnings or umbrellas. It's a continuous flow from one to the next as you walk. Plenty of options and their menus are on display as you enter their area. As I mentioned before, the Purple Penguin at the Penguin hotel is very reasonable and plenty of food for the price. It's just a couple blocks north of the Carlyle.

I don't pay too much attention to reviews. I think people are expecting five star for the price. Five star is on Collins from the 1700 block and north, at three times the price lol

It's a pricey area, but the experience is very cool. Prices drop on Ocean south of 9th St and North of 14th and a bit quieter.

If you go to Mango's  (I highly recommend the experience) get there before 8:00 pm. They charge a cover after 8:00 and they're at capacity, so there's a line at the door. When two people leave,  two get to enter.

Sorry if this became info overload lol

16 minutes ago, Scarab KV said:

If you go to Mango's  (I highly recommend the experience) get there before 8:00 pm. They charge a cover after 8:00 and they're at capacity, so there's a line at the door. When two people leave,  two get to enter.

I second that, if you've never experienced it.  It starts in the daytime and runs all night:

http://www.mangos.com/miami/?_ga=1.256695563.123267677.1456836219

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for your responses and also the recommendations. My wife and I will definitely go to Mango's for an evening meal and to see what they have for entertainment! I checked the menus and not only are they greatly varied but they are also very reasonably priced!

At this stage I am considering staying in a few different places to stay, but all pretty close to Ocean Drive overall. Including a few nights really living it up on the strip itself! Most days will involve us going around to different Vice locations in a hire car and getting photos of how they stand today. I would be open to meeting any fans who live in the area for a meal or to take us on a tour if they wish. This is one of the few forums I've been a part of where there's no animosity or 'trolling'. I get the sense that as a collective group we are all very good people to be around!

• Like 1

There are some great restaurants on Collins or Washington Avenue's a few blocks off the Ocean - shame about the China Diner at 5th Street that closed and the building is still empty !

Continuing our conversation about accessibility from another thread:

Most gated residential communities are easily accessible, partly because they are public roads and technically should be open to the public.  They're just trying to keep out the riff-raff, so just look respectable.  In contrast, gated condominium communities are tough to access.  I was unable to see the Jockey Club at 111th St, Quayside/Towerside at 107th St, and Turnberry Isle.