New DVD releases

Dadrian

I'm not smart enough to understand what this means:

"These episodes are newly remastered in high definition, which means that it's possible that down the road a bit Mill Creek could maybe give Miami Vice the same treatment we're reporting today about Airwolf - The Complete Series: a first-ever Blu-ray release! That's not absolutely happening to Miami Vice just yet, but such a thing is possible."

Will these look better than our current DVDs but not as good as a Blu-Ray release?

I don't know if the full power of the remaster will be evident on the DVDs, but the fact that they've did a hi-def remaster certainly lends to the possibility of the end of those means (a Blu Ray release). In other words, when they remastered Airwolf in HD, they ended up releasing a Blu Ray soon after. So, fingers crossed...

With this announcement, why not just go all the way the first time around.

But the fact, that the DVD's are in HD now, I think means that there will be a noticable difference.

Here is, what they are saying about the DVD rereleases for Knight Rider also out on May 3rd:

"The episodes will even be newly remastered in high definition, for great quality on such a low-cost item. And who knows? With HD masters available, maybe Mill Creek's got top-secret (for now) plans to later put this show out on Blu-ray Disc, like they're doing on the same date with Air wolf!"

And perhaps even Miami Vice!  :fireworks: I hope...

• Like 1

I saw this too! You're welcome to remove or transplant my thread. 

Maybe they'll have the cues that got missed from the soundtrack on the other DVDs. 

Regardless, it's nice to see this news. 

• Like 1

At fifteen bucks a pop I'll probably bite on these as they say they are remasters and I still haven't replaced my Season 2 flipper discs (and the covers are pretty cool). Mill Creek releasing Airwolf on Blu-ray though is a fairly good sign though.

Hopefully Mill Creek will enrich all of our Christmas stockings this year with something special.

:funky::dance2:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Great news, so they'll be on High Definition DVD's? Not as good as blu-ray but I'm still interested in seeing how these would turn out. 

But I thought the maximum resolution of a DVD was 480p? There were "HD DVD" roms but I think they've been discontinued?

(By the way, there were two threads with the same link so I merged them both together into this one)

When they say newly remastered in high-definition they mean the transfer on the DVD has been taken from new HD scans of the negatives with the latest technology. So while the DVDs won't be HD themselves they should at least be a bit sharper and clearer than the older masters plus should upscale on HDTVs better when played on a Blu-ray player or DVD players with upconverting capabilities. Also if they are sourced from the original negatives of the show that could mean they should also have a different color timing judging from what IvoryJones brought forward a long while back.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/2278-what-happened-to-the-originl-mv-colors/

Edited by agent 47
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, agent 47 said:

When they say newly remastered in high-definition they mean the transfer on the DVD has been taken from new HD scans of the negatives with the latest technology. So while the DVDs won't be HD themselves they should at least be a bit sharper and clearer than the older masters plus should upscale on HDTVs better when played on a Blu-ray player or DVD players with upconverting capabilities. Also if they are sourced from the original negatives of the show that could mean they should also have a different color timing judging from what IvoryJones brought forward a long while back.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/2278-what-happened-to-the-originl-mv-colors/

Ah yes, just as I feared... 

Why can't they just transfer it to bluray? :(

I guess the grand question will be will it restore the original vice colors or just leave them as is, and will the pilot finally look as good as the TV broadcast back in 2006 along with the rest of the series.

although i wouldnt cry about them removing alot of the white filters from the Dick Wolf seasons.

Edited by Kavinsky

Apparently bluray is "under consideration". I would say lets all drop some mails to show some interest ;-)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=11974529

They're re-releasing the first two seasons of Miami Vice on DVD taken from new transfers. So I asked Mill Creek about a bluray release

They said it's "under consideration" but not in their current schedule. So it may be a possibility.

5 hours ago, Sjako said:

They said it's "under consideration" but not in their current schedule. So it may be a possibility.

In 2016 to release (again) any movie, series and etc. in DVD, that was filmed and technically can go up to HD media is pure madness. Its only shows that company have zero interest to make REAL progress and this is just one more cash in for them.

I have only respect for people/company that make official statements - that its hard to get all license for original songs to put in Blu-Ray, online HQ media, etc and asks all fans to be more patient. And not re-release DVD's - so what that is mastered in HD, but downscalled to 576p, it will look better then old ones on small screen, but still this is year of 2016 and on "big" HDTV's it will look the same - blured. And for company to be proud of something that is more then 10 years behind in technologies is just wrong.

Couple years ago Hulu stream showed, that MV S01 can look glorious with restored colors in HD.

I have seen season one in HD on Hulu, looks ok, but not "scarface in Bluray" great. Its not a shock and aw feeling you get from it. Only thing I would look forward to is a 1080 screen instead of the 480 screen with these annoying black side bars.

agree with ev1l, its a weird move pulling out the DVD version again. Must be the licensing thing (eventhough who would care if a license is granted on a DVD or Bluray)

1 hour ago, Sjako said:

I have seen season one in HD on Hulu, looks ok, but not "scarface in Bluray" great. Its not a shock and aw feeling you get from it. Only thing I would look forward to is a 1080 screen instead of the 480 screen with these annoying black side bars.

agree with ev1l, its a weird move pulling out the DVD version again. Must be the licensing thing (eventhough who would care if a license is granted on a DVD or Bluray)

Well BluRay is BluRay...

On Hulu episodes lacking grain and in some scenes even when there is a grain - its inconsistent. But on BluRay with good bitrate, proper treatment it can really go for that amazing.

Still on Hulu E01&E02 looked so fresh in colors and detail, comparing with that pre-movie re-aired first episode on NBC HD channel 10 years ago.

P.S And maybe, just maybe, some very lucky day one online streaming service will buy\pick-up those new transfers and airs in HD.

Edited by EV1L
more info

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

But these new Season 1 and 2 sets say they are Hd so we should see some improvement - shouldnt we ?! :D

They are remastered in HD, but downscalled back to SD for "new" DVD's. Yes, it will be some improvement comparing to old DVD's on small screen, but still this is not acceptable in todays life. This is not 2000 when everyone watching on 15" TV, people around the world have big screen hdtv's ant it will look bad as always.

Nowadays no self respecting network/company re-releases movies/tv only in DVD, that can be done in Blu-Ray. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure almost everybody today has a bluray player or something that plays bluray discs (like a PS3, PS4). Remastering something HD and then releasing it on an old fashioned DVD like it's 2002 again is ridiculous. Surely bluray discs wouldn't cost them more... 

A lot of old shows are now being released on bluray, but Miami Vice (the most popular show out of all of them during it's airing years), doesn't get one? It doesn't make sense. 

Eh, maybe there will be a bluray soon, perhaps they've only done the first two seasons so far but want to release a bluray as a boxset?

I don't see why music licensing would be an issue. Who would say "No" to allowing their song to be kept in a classic series like that? Whoever says no should be fed to Elvis.

Just read on that link that Sjako posted that it's "under consideration", perhaps if we keep bugging them about it. :) I sent them a tweet.

• Like 1

Several (maybe 3) years ago in one of documentary TV series about 80s, there was small cut scene of Miami Vice from S02 in FullHD.

And it was definitely remastered version, vibrant colors, grain and etc. Sadly don't know from where that TV got the material, but it must be from some kind "new" transfer. I don't believe that minor TV series done cut-scene transfer themselves, but got permission to use it from someone.

Edited by EV1L
text edit S04 - > S02

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, EV1L said:

Several (maybe 3) years ago in one of documentary TV series about 80s, there was small cut scene of Miami Vice from S04 in FullHD.

And it was definitely remastered version, vibrant colors, grain and etc. Sadly don't know from where that TV got the material, but it must be from some kind "new" transfer. I don't believe that minor TV series done cut-scene transfer themselves, but got permission to use it from someone.

Do you remember the name of this documentary? I would love to check it out and see how HD it is.

54 minutes ago, James said:

Do you remember the name of this documentary? I would love to check it out and see how HD it is.

Ooops, my bad, it was from S02.

5 Image comparison:

That s02 scene from TV comparison to match 16:9 cropped frame to 4:3 with upscalled DVD from 576p to 720p. Green area - cropped frame in HDTV.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/165299/

It was long time ago when I watched it, but:

in first screen comparison you can tell that source has boosted colors, black levels (in my opinion overdone), cleaner, better grain and different (looking at heads, corrected?) aspect ratio.

in second screen you can see that person behind has more detail on the face.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EV1L said:

They are remastered in HD, but downscalled back to SD for "new" DVD's. Yes, it will be some improvement comparing to old DVD's on small screen, but still this is not acceptable in todays life. This is not 2000 when everyone watching on 15" TV, people around the world have big screen hdtv's ant it will look bad as always.

Nowadays no self respecting network/company re-releases movies/tv only in DVD, that can be done in Blu-Ray. 

Yes very true and thankyou for the information:D