New DVD releases

Dadrian

Me for one.  Don't tweet much, too much of it is uninteresting but I like the first hand direct info you get from athletes, for example. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don't use it often either. Not unless I'm looking for information from some specific source. I don't follow any celebrities and junk, mostly just journalist websites, video games, stuff like that.

22 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Me for one.  Don't tweet much, too much of it is uninteresting but I like the first hand direct info you get from athletes, for example. 

Yes I follow you Jim !!:D:dance2:

• 3 weeks later...

Can the ones of us who are less fortunate and don't live in the US expect an unofficial distribution of the new DVD's in digital form?)

Miami Vice - Season 1 (Mill Creek)

16316_s.jpg

Release Information:
blackpixel.gif
Studio: Mill Creek Entertainment
Release Type: Season Boxed Set
Release Date: 5/03/2016
Number of Discs: 4
Number of Episodes: 22
Running Time: Unknown mins
Retail Price: $14.98 (US$)

Audio/Video Information:
blackpixel.gif
Video: Full Frame (1.33:1)
Audio: Unknown
Subtitles: None/Unknown

Description:
blackpixel.gif

This information is not complete and will be completed when the information or time becomes available

Features:
line.gif
None/Unknown

Miami Vice - Season 2 (Mill Creek)

16317_s.jpg

Release Information:
blackpixel.gif
Studio: Mill Creek Entertainment
Release Type: Season Boxed Set
Release Date: 5/03/2016
Number of Discs: 4
Number of Episodes: 22
Running Time: Unknown mins
Retail Price: $14.98 (US$)

Audio/Video Information:
blackpixel.gif
Video: Full Frame (1.33:1)
Audio: Unknown
Subtitles: None/Unknown

Description:
blackpixel.gif

This information is not complete and will be completed when the information or time becomes available

Features:
line.gif
None/Unknown

I'd have to agree with Ferrariman that this definitely looks like a "money grab", let's look at what the information says:

Video is Full Frame, the same as is out there currently (4x3, 1:33:1)

Audio: Unknown....umm, we're in trouble here!

Closed Captioning...none/unknown...hmmmm.....

Number of Discs: 4...Didn't the original release have 5 discs?

Features: None/Unknown....no surprise there!

And let's not even talk about the price!

I really don't see the point of these releases if it's a lesser re-release of what is already out there.  Even the packaging is lame!

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 2

So, today, this was posted by Mill Creek Entertainment:

Miami Vice – Season 1 & Season 2- Dolby 5.1 Surround audio mix included! - Remastered in High Definition.

I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow!

• Administrators
5 hours ago, mvnyc said:

So, today, this was posted by Mill Creek Entertainment:

Miami Vice – Season 1 & Season 2- Dolby 5.1 Surround audio mix included! - Remastered in High Definition.

I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow!

I don't know why they're using "remastered in HD" as a selling point when DVD's are limited to 480p. 

57 minutes ago, nofretz said:

I need single-sided Season 2 discs, so I'll bite on that. 

If you do, it would be nice if you screenshot a scene for us. I'm interested in seeing how it looks compared to the old releases. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, James said:

I don't know why they're using "remastered in HD" as a selling point when DVD's are limited to 480p. 

Well that is exactly the point, these are not true HD at all, like Ferrariman said, it's a "money grab" for those who either don't know any better or don't have a Blu-ray player and want fake HD stretched across their screen (IMO)...   

• Like 1

If the "new" DVD releases look anything like the NBC stretched version on YouTube, that I saw, then it's not bad.

I'm also curious, if there is any notable difference. :cool:

• Like 1

I recently purchased a new copy of Season 3, and it came in a standard DVD case with the trays, and the descriptions of each episode printed on the opposite side of the paper fold (clear case, so you could read it). No complaints from me regarding having the single sided discs, but it's a little annoying when you have the other DVD sets that have the fancy gloss cases, and then this one that's just plain jane and sticks out. 

What ended up with, seemed to be a reissue. The back of the box said nothing different from my season 1, 2, and 4 old sets. Only difference was the case being plastic. 

Edited by Tony_MontanaCDL

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Tony_MontanaCDL said:

I recently purchased a new copy of Season 3, and it came in a standard DVD case with the trays, and the descriptions of each episode printed on the opposite side of the paper fold (clear case, so you could read it). No complaints from me regarding having the single sided discs, but it's a little annoying when you have the other DVD sets that have the fancy gloss cases, and then this one that's just plain jane and sticks out. 

What ended up with, seemed to be a reissue. The back of the box said nothing different from my season 1, 2, and 4 old sets. Only difference was the case being plastic. 

These remastered Mill Creek DVD releases are only season 1 and 2 at the moment. 3, 4, and 5, haven't been done by them yet.

Just now, James said:

These remastered Mill Creek DVD releases are only season 1 and 2 at the moment. 3, 4, and 5, haven't been done by them yet.

My apologies, I didn't read this thread all the way through I would have seen first off it was about Mill Creek. 

My season 3 was a reissue from Universal. Was just a little disappointed the reissues now come in standard plastic DVD cases. 

Just wondered if anyone had seen the Millcreek reissues on Seasons 1 and 2 released last week - they are selling mega quick on Amazon.com and still only $8.99 a set !!:dance2::dance2:

Not a professional review but someone on Amazon reviewed the first season.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SEJQG9U6F09O/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01CZ3K1WG&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2625373011&store=movies-tv

The good news is apparently there's been some picture clean-up on the dirt and scratches front although they've chosen to put the season only on four discs as opposed to the six of the current single-sided Region 1 run from Universal (hopefully screencaps will show on the internet soon so we can check how this would affect the compression). The audio is both in 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 stereo which hopefully suggest that the latter audio mix is the original ones rather than downgrades of the remixes. He mentions some echo effect on the 5.1 mix which I do remember being an issue with some of the Universal DVDs so the 5.1 mix is probably just the Universal ones ported over. These new sets though lack subtitles for some reason and the small amount of bonus features from the Universal season one set.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2016 at 2:56 AM, agent 47 said:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SEJQG9U6F09O/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01CZ3K1WG&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2625373011&store=movies-tv

The good news is apparently there's been some picture clean-up on the dirt and scratches front although they've chosen to put the season only on four discs as opposed to the six of the current single-sided Region 1 run from Universal (hopefully screencaps will show on the internet soon so we can check how this would affect the compression). The audio is both in 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 stereo which hopefully suggest that the latter audio mix is the original ones rather than downgrades of the remixes. He mentions some echo effect on the 5.1 mix which I do remember being an issue with some of the Universal DVDs so the 5.1 mix is probably just the Universal ones ported over. These new sets though lack subtitles for some reason and the small amount of bonus features from the Universal season one set.

I noticed the echo effect on episode 2 of Mill Creek's release and compared it to the Universal set from Australia and Episode 2 Dolby 5.1 did not have that problem in the same episode.

On 5/16/2016 at 8:56 AM, agent 47 said:

That's very good to know ... :D

A very reliable source who used to do post production on the series for the first two seasons emailed me yesterday and said the following in response to my email about Blu-Ray copies being issued: They definitely mastered all five seasons in HD at Universal about 6-7 years ago. The masters are done, just sitting on the shelf, waiting to be released.

So there you have it, folks, it will be just a matter of (more) time...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mvnyc said:

A very reliable source who used to do post production on the series for the first two seasons emailed me yesterday and said the following in response to my email about Blu-Ray copies being issued: They definitely mastered all five seasons in HD at Universal about 6-7 years ago. The masters are done, just sitting on the shelf, waiting to be released.

Thats great - but why sitting on the shelf ?! Release them Universal !!

:)

• Administrators
16 hours ago, mvnyc said:

I wonder what's taking them so long... Must be licensing issues, hey? 

Can't even distribute it to TV networks (Like El Rey) for syndication?

Mill Creek is at least getting the hint on their Facebook page. Just about all their posts of the Airwolf Blu-ray release and the current Vice DVD sets have at least a few comments asking for Vice and here's what they said on April 11th in reply to a couple of questions under a March 29th post on Airwolf.

We are actually pursuing the potential of future Blu-ray releases of Knight Rider and Miami Vice. Lots of logistics to work out, so stay tuned!

We're hopeful! Stay tuned!

In case you want to follow their Facebook page here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/MillCreekEnt

Edited by agent 47
  • Like 1