New DVD releases

Dadrian

7 hours ago, James said:

I wonder what's taking them so long... Must be licensing issues, hey? 

Can't even distribute it to TV networks (Like El Rey) for syndication?

A good question...if the masters were done that long ago, it sounds like Universal saw no reason to release them and just sat on them (probably with other titles we don't even know about). However, with Mill Creek now on-board, we might have a better chance of seeing them sooner, rather than later.   

Edited by mvnyc

3 hours ago, agent 47 said:

Mill Creek is at least getting the hint on their Facebook page. Just about all their posts of the Airwolf Blu-ray release and the current Vice DVD sets have at least a few comments asking for Vice and here's what they said on April 11th in reply to a couple of questions under a March 29th post on Airwolf.

In case you want to follow their Facebook page here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/MillCreekEnt

Thats good to know - may get a release in 2017?! who knows in the meantime the Millcreek dvd re-releases of Seasons 1 and 2 seems to have improved on the 2005 sets :dance2:

• Administrators

It sounds promising. Seems they just need to sort some things out. Maybe it is the music licensing as a few of us have suggested. 

I don't understand any lawyer junk, but could it be possible that Universals music licensing to use it on the DVD releases could be carried over to Mill Creek's releases? But Blu-ray is a different platform, meaning they have to license it for the Blu-ray title also? 

So they have to get a price for the licensing, then they have to determine whether the profit margin would still be to their liking, to compensate for the music fee's... Maybe that's what they mean by "logistics". 

Hope it's soon, it's long overdue!

10 minutes ago, James said:

It sounds promising. Seems they just need to sort some things out. Maybe it is the music licensing as a few of us have suggested. 

I don't understand any lawyer junk, but could it be possible that Universals music licensing to use it on the DVD releases could be carried over to Mill Creek's releases? But Blu-ray is a different platform, meaning they have to license it for the Blu-ray title also? 

So they have to get a price for the licensing, then they have to determine whether the profit margin would still be to their liking, to compensate for the music fee's... Maybe that's what they mean by "logistics". 

I think it could be a music issue - I dont know if its true but I heard they have to clear the copyright issues for the msic again for blu ray releases ?! 

:dance2::dance2:

4 hours ago, James said:

I could be wrong here (anyone feel free to correct me), but my guess is the Blu-ray releases would be viewed as "new product" and would likely need new licensing from the studios involved as well as the artists themselves.  Like you mentioned, it's likely a case of "is it worth it to go after the licensing again since this product is already out there?"  Well, we know the answer to that is yes, of course it is!  it is just a matter of convincing the powers that be that there is indeed a market for a Blu-ray release of this show. 

It's kind of like when an musical artist releases an album, if it gets released on vinyl, they get paid, if it gets distributed in another format like tape, or on CD, or on MP3 or even streamed the musician is entitled to their fair share as they were the ones who recorded it...I can't say that I blame them.

Edited by mvnyc

If in fact somebody cleared the music rights for Miami Vice standard DVDs but failed to simultaneously clear them for all other formats, I hope that person has been fired and run out of the industry for incompetence.

I hope they are able to come to an agreement. I'd really like to get the series on Blu-ray. I know I can buy the first season on iTunes so that format must of been approved for at least the First Season.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, airtommy said:

If in fact somebody cleared the music rights for Miami Vice standard DVDs but failed to simultaneously clear them for all other formats, I hope that person has been fired and run out of the industry for incompetence.

Well, Blu-ray was brand new when the first DVD's came out. DVD's came out in what... 2006, 2007? I don't think people saw Blu-ray as "the future", but more of a gimmick. Maybe Universal got a 10 year license for all the music, meaning it would be still active at the time of Mill Creek's releases. Because at the time they had no intention of releasing it on Blu-ray.

Edit: Just read this review on Amazon. 

Mill Creek Entertainment reissued the first two seasons of Miami Vice on DVD in May 2016, the picture quality is remastered and improved compared to the earlier Universal releases (2005, 2014). The dirt and scratch has been noticeably cleaned up, the picture is not as dark, looks sharper, definite improvement, this is based on comparison of the Pilot episode between Mill Creek's 2016 Region 1 NTSC reissue and Region 2-4 PAL Australian release from 2008 by Universal. The Mill Creek source apparently comes from new HD remasters, too bad they are not pressed on Blu-Ray discs.

So apparently the picture quality is better, removing the fuzziness and sharpening picture? 

Wish I could find screenshots somewhere lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
19 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

A month after release and still no screenshots?(

Doesn't seem like anybody actually has it... I've searched around the internet looking for some screenshots of it too, but nada. Most people are just saying to wait for a bluray release if you already have the series.

19 minutes ago, James said:

Doesn't seem like anybody actually has it... I've searched around the internet looking for some screenshots of it too, but nada. Most people are just saying to wait for a bluray release if you already have the series.

Yes shame - I don't think many here have bought the new Millcreek releases:):)

• Administrators
On 03/06/2016 at 11:26 PM, Matt5 said:

Yes shame - I don't think many here have bought the new Millcreek releases:):)

Hopefully the lack of sales doesn't change their mind about releasing bluray in the future.

• Like 2

I bought my DVDs less than a year ago so would definitely have to see some rave reviews before shelling out again...

On 6/5/2016 at 2:18 AM, summer84 said:

This is really the only more detailed review I could find, don't know if it's of any use....

Some guy bought the season 1 DVD. Post 87, 90 and 92: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/mill-creek-rereleasing-universal-shows-some-on-blu.346572/page-5

Very interesting - thanks for sharing !:D:D

• Like 1

I picked up this from the review which relates to picture quality on the home theatre forum - 

"

watched the copy of "Smuggler's Blues" on the Mill Creek set. I noted some of it looked more like video than film, but overall looked okay. Then I watched the teaser and a few other moments of the Universal DVD set and realized this was a totally different transfer. The earlier Universal DVD transfer of "Smuggler's Blues" is almost unwatchable after seeing the better transfer. Many shots on the Universal set, particularly in the teaser, are way way too dark to see anything. The transfer for the Mill Creek set is notably brighter, but has the effect of looking like a VHS tape. 

But then this gets more interesting - Hulu offers a much better transfer of this episode, and it may be based on the same one pilfered for this presentation. "

Edited by Matt5

Thanks Matt! :)

What I also found interesting (quoted) and it's no surprise, that he recommends sticking with the DVDs. Though I wonder, if he would provide screenshots??

"Hit List" is the same syndication cut that was on the original Universal DVD set. It is missing the same "parachute pants" line that was cut before. So that tells me the people who remastered this did not go back to the original negatives. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were using a different source. I just don't know what that source would be at this point. And if somehow, Universal did cut the original negative just to remove that exchange, I can't imagine why they would have done so.

This says to me that if we ever see Blu-rays of Miami Vice from Mill Creek, they'll just provide better PQ of the syndication cuts of the episodes - which profoundly depresses me. I had hoped we'd see something more substantive.

At this point, I'd recommend staying with the earlier DVDs - unless and until Mill Creek generates Blu-rays. If they do that, a case could be made for checking the PQ and possibly picking them up on sale."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Thanks Matt! :)

What I also found interesting (quoted) and it's no surprise, that he recommends sticking with the DVDs. Though I wonder, if he would provide screenshots??

"Hit List" is the same syndication cut that was on the original Universal DVD set. It is missing the same "parachute pants" line that was cut before. So that tells me the people who remastered this did not go back to the original negatives. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were using a different source. I just don't know what that source would be at this point. And if somehow, Universal did cut the original negative just to remove that exchange, I can't imagine why they would have done so.

This says to me that if we ever see Blu-rays of Miami Vice from Mill Creek, they'll just provide better PQ of the syndication cuts of the episodes - which profoundly depresses me. I had hoped we'd see something more substantive.

At this point, I'd recommend staying with the earlier DVDs - unless and until Mill Creek generates Blu-rays. If they do that, a case could be made for checking the PQ and possibly picking them up on sale."

He may do Summer - however his review is less favourable than the amazon.com reviewer who reviewed the new Mill Creek sets :D:dance2:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

He may do Summer - however his review is less favourable than the amazon.com reviewer who reviewed the new Mill Creek sets :D:dance2:

I'm not sure, how you mean...

The "hometheater" guy has less details of the DVDs picture quality, which is one of the main things, but both reviews point out the down sides, (which are many). I think the "hometheater" reviewer had some good details also. And from reading both reviews the conclusion to me is, don't buy the DVDs, unless you need them.

Obviously I'm not buying until a bluray release, lets just say until. :D

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I'm not sure, how you mean...

The "hometheater" guy has less details of the DVDs picture quality, which is one of the main things, but both reviews point out the down sides, (which are many). 

I think the "hometheater" reviewer had some good details also.  And from reading both reviews the conclusion to me is, don't buy the DVDs, unless you need them.

Yes true - what I mean the Amazon.com reviewer highlighted the picture quality had improved albeit slightly and was brighter.:):)

• Like 1

I agree that the amazon.com review was overall more detailed.

The amazon reviewer does say that:  "the picture quality is remastered and improved compared to the earlier Universal releases (2005, 2014). The dirt and scratch has been noticeably cleaned up, the picture is not as dark, looks sharper, definite improvement, this is based on comparison of the Pilot episode between Mill Creek's 2016 Region 1 NTSC reissue and Region 2-4 PAL Australian release from 2008 by Universal. The Mill Creek source apparently comes from new HD remasters, too bad they are not pressed on Blu-Ray discs."   And that was also, what I curious about, if there was any noticeable difference.

"just hope someone will get this Season 1 release right someday: on Blu Ray, with subtitles, better Bonus features, no audio issues, all discs present, I am hoping!"

The review is good, but it would be even better with some screenshots. Not that it would make any difference for me, as I'm only buying, if/when the series gets a bluray release.

Still I'm very curious. :cool: 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, James said:

That's part of the reason I haven't picked them up yet. I'm kind of hoping they at least have an update on whether Blu-ray has been greenlit or not by the end of the year. Another thing I'm hesitant about is compression problems as the first season from the later Universal release had six discs and handled compression very well while the new set has four discs. They put Brother's Keeper, Heart of Darkness, Cool Runnin' and both Calderone's Return parts on one disc which even on Blu-ray can produce compression issues which in the age of HD are a lot more noticeable.

5 hours ago, summer84 said:

I agree that the amazon.com review was overall more detailed.

The amazon reviewer does say that:  "the picture quality is remastered and improved compared to the earlier Universal releases (2005, 2014). The dirt and scratch has been noticeably cleaned up, the picture is not as dark, looks sharper, definite improvement, this is based on comparison of the Pilot episode between Mill Creek's 2016 Region 1 NTSC reissue and Region 2-4 PAL Australian release from 2008 by Universal. The Mill Creek source apparently comes from new HD remasters, too bad they are not pressed on Blu-Ray discs."   And that was also, what I curious about, if there was any noticeable difference.

"just hope someone will get this Season 1 release right someday: on Blu Ray, with subtitles, better Bonus features, no audio issues, all discs present, I am hoping!"

The review is good, but it would be even better with some screenshots. Not that it would make any difference for me, as I'm only buying, if/when the series gets a bluray release.

Still I'm very curious. :cool: 

I'm quite curious too - even enough to perhaps pick up the Millcreek reissue for Season 1 - the retail price of $8.99 on Amazon without postage is pretty good .

I'll keep you posted if I proceed :-))

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2016 at 2:05 PM, James said:

Yeah, I'm stoked for the Blu-ray set, but it's a few months away and the DVDs are so cheap, I thought what the hell - I just wanted to find out what shape these masters are actually in.

I'm sure some of you will probably know the answer to this, but I had always believed the main guitar melody not being on the titles for the Gregory Sierra episodes was a DVD mistake - as per this. So I was kind of hoping that might not be the case any more. But it is, so we still have that sparse intro to the first few stories on the new release.

On the plus side, the UK DVDs did not have stereo tracks. I don't know if what Mill Creek have put on are the original stereo mixes, or if the 5.1 is the same as on the previous DVDs, but to me the stereo is a whole lot punchier, so that's a good thing.

With the image, there's a whole load of difference and, if I were to bet, I'd say the pilot has had a more recent or more extensive treatment than the rest. However, someone posted here that they heard from someone in the business that there are HD masters for every episode, so hopefully nothing to worry about. Just looks like the pilot came in for special care and the others will be HD versions of what we're more familiar with.

Though of course if you have the US sets, you'll be very pleased with Smuggler's Blues as that one really should never have gone out on US DVD the way it did - the UK version looked like the rest of the episodes in the series, no dip in quality. So that may be a happy first for some US buyers here, unless they imported another version.

If you look at these grabs, even where colour is somewhat weaker and the cropping tighter on some of the new ones, they are more detailed. And that's also significant given the old UK version is double the number of discs for Season 1 than this new one is. And also that the UK set is PAL, which is higher image quality than these US NTSC discs - so that all looks good for Blu-ray in that these new masters are managing to shine through all that, even in SD... there's clearly more there and yet more to come in HD :)

Brother's Keeper

mv_keeper_01_zpsuqdywyok.jpg~original

mv_keeper_02_zpsfudu0bbt.jpg~original

mv_keeper_03_zpsjkfaipyp.jpg~original

mv_keeper_04_zpsq4pj8blj.jpg~original

Heart of Darkness

mv_heart_01_zpsixrslnua.jpg~original

mv_heart_02_zpssj1qjvxf.jpg~original

mv_heart_03_zps7vgwl7r2.jpg~original

mv_heart_04_zpso74fn0ei.jpg~original

Calderone's Return Part II

mv_calretrn_01_zpss99jf9yd.jpg~original